Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:56   #46
BHPian

hi! TSK, you haev enlightened us with your report. I have few questions to ask.

1) I have got a new Swift Diesel and already worried about the service part. Reading horror stories about the dealers and the way the handle cars. What is the solution to this problem? As to keep the warranty intact will have to get it serviced from the dealer.

2) Can you please provide more gyaan on the engine oils and other techniques like decarbonizing, flushing and other treatments?

My friend is driving Indica DLS which has done close to 150,000 kms and he has always got it serviced from the Authorised Service Centre( Delta Motors, Gurgaon). They are good when u compare to others as they are only authorized service centre and no dealer.
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:09   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Considering that the GTX can is of 4 liters and Indica takes in 4.2 liters of engine oil won't the top-up be less than the required amount (fall short by 200ml)? Or do I get a 1 liter can of GTX as well that I should buy along with the 4 liter one.

By the way how much does the GTX can cost? Also, the STP engine oil additive and the flush can?
Get a Castrol GTX diesel 4 liter can for 650rs and the STP engine oil additive for 190rs, add both and don't worry. 100ml here or there is not really important. Infact most service centers fill in 4lt instead of 4.2lt.
The STP can is 300ml

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
hi! TSK, you haev enlightened us with your report. I have few questions to ask.

1) I have got a new Swift Diesel and already worried about the service part. Reading horror stories about the dealers and the way the handle cars. What is the solution to this problem? As to keep the warranty intact will have to get it serviced from the dealer.

2) Can you please provide more gyaan on the engine oils and other techniques like decarbonizing, flushing and other treatments?

My friend is driving Indica DLS which has done close to 150,000 kms and he has always got it serviced from the Authorised Service Centre( Delta Motors, Gurgaon). They are good when u compare to others as they are only authorized service centre and no dealer.
Make sure you are at service center when they are changing oil.
Also ask them if they allow you to give oil yourself.
You don't need flushing etc., now, get it done after 30K kms.
Infact if you are regular with oil change schedule and use a high detergent engine oil, flushing can be done after 40K.
What does your service manual say about oil grade(API-CG etc., will be there as minimum requirement).
If you don't want to splurge on synthetic you can buy
1. Chevron Delo
2. Castrol GTX diesel
3. Shell helix diesel(ultra or super something API-CG4)
No 2&3 are commonly available.
If you want to head over to debate section, then the synthetic vs mineral oil thread is there
After they change engine oil, you can pour in a can of STP engine oil treatment.
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:33   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

TSK, been thinking of moving away from the TASS .. . Unlike you, I do have my extended warranty in force. Would you know what the exclusions are, reg the extended wty ? Would I need to continue to go to a TASS / TASC for the wty to be valid, or is it just regular servicing with related records ?
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:19   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
TSK, been thinking of moving away from the TASS .. . Unlike you, I do have my extended warranty in force. Would you know what the exclusions are, reg the extended wty ? Would I need to continue to go to a TASS / TASC for the wty to be valid, or is it just regular servicing with related records ?
You will lose all warranty, extended or otherwise if you move away from TASS.
Old 3rd July 2007, 08:38   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

TSK, thanks - but forgot to mention that this is the 25K (5th)service now, and the initial 18 month period is over. Does, what you said, still hold ?
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:48   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
TSK, thanks - but forgot to mention that this is the 25K (5th)service now, and the initial 18 month period is over. Does, what you said, still hold ?
couldn't get you. About the warranty extended or otherwise, if you don't get a service done from TASS you will lose your warranty.
About engine oil, it depends whether your service center allows you to get oil from outside.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:09   #52
BHPian

Car misses : Overhaul fuel pump

How true ! I went in for my 5th service last month, did not have any complaint about the pickup or AC, the only issue was that once I switch on the AC the RPM drops instead of increasing, but no apparent decrease in performance

FIVE days later the car is ready due to delay with clearance of extended warranty - power steering failure, glow plugs kaput all this at only 23k on the odo.

I saw that they had played with the fuel injection pump again - it was replaced under extended warranty last year When I asked them why they said it was for the complaint I made about the drop in RPM.

Now the car struggles to touch 100 on the highways. Worse the problem is still there !!

I don't want to go back to Concorde, but the problem is the extended warranty runs out only in December.

Any ideas what I can do ?

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:42   #53
BHPian

My indica has covered close to 87000kms, no major issues so far. TASS sucks...they are always hell bent on replacing parts, even when owner is sure that car doesnt needs it.

Well coming back to topic, suspensions are fading now, although not totally sagged, but dampers are gone.Dont want to go with TASS now onwards.

Car was running fine, till i did a silly mistake of asking TASS people to recalibrate the FIP, as fuel economy droppped to 16kmpl after service from 18.5kmpl.

Shocked to hear the truck like sound & vibrations in interiors+lot of black smoke, i asked repeatedly do it again & in a proper manner, but dhingra guys were hell bent on replacing EGR system. After lot of persual, they didnt recalibrated it but got the FIP Timing set from lucas(they dont know after recalibration, how to set FIP timing). NOw the car was smooth as new+increased fuel economy+evenmore smoke+good pickup.

Now i am looking for :

1. Good suspension/damper replacemnet in delhi.
2.A good FIP tuner(lucas guys dont know about there own product)
3.Smoke issue resolving(it smokes like a steam engine), but pickup is awsome by indica std.s(sure about faulty fuel metering).
4.Fuel economy dropped to 13.5kmpl now(hope to get it correct with FIP).

Please share info about good non-TASS indica experts in delhi.
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:05   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
1. Good suspension/damper replacemnet in delhi.
2.A good FIP tuner(lucas guys dont know about there own product)
3.Smoke issue resolving(it smokes like a steam engine), but pickup is awsome by indica std.s(sure about faulty fuel metering).
4.Fuel economy dropped to 13.5kmpl now(hope to get it correct with FIP).

Please share info about good non-TASS indica experts in delhi.
1. Riyaz, Khan market is a good bet, read the review, linked in main thread.
2. Don't have the slightest idea. If you find one, tell me too please!
3. If the smoke is of any other color than black, it could mean serious trouble, so get it checked. The Auto engineers guys looked competent and dedicated
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
2. Don't have the slightest idea. If you find one, tell me too please!
3. If the smoke is of any other color than black, it could mean serious trouble, so get it checked. The Auto engineers guys looked competent and dedicated
Well smoke is dense black, so i think only proper calibration & timing is needed no serious issue, it appears only during accelerating.

For FIP tuning i found this one apart from Lucas: Fuel Injection Pump Repairs,Diesel Fuel Injection Services,Diesel Fuel Injection Equipment,Repairs & Spares,India

What his site says:

"Special Facilities
We also provide facilities like disassembling and refitting of pumps from light motor vehicles engine such as Indica, Safari, Qualis, Sumo, etc. besides undertaking repairs of all types of mechanical and woodward hydraulic governors."
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, its been a while that I was struggling to get my Fuel pump calibrated correctly. Trust me, I was a regular your types "stich in time...." and went continously 4 years to TASS to get my Indica serviced and paid them hefty bills.

I got my pump calibrated atleast 5 times each time ending up paying close to 5K and NEVER got a smoother ride as I'm getting right now after getting it from a new place that i discovered lately. I spent 5.2K on pump calibration (incl some parts) and car is as good as new. The new mechanic is not a roadside one, but not too flashy either.... he got it calibrated from somewhere.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:26   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Tanveer, its been a while that I was struggling to get my Fuel pump calibrated correctly. Trust me, I was a regular your types "stich in time...." and went continously 4 years to TASS to get my Indica serviced and paid them hefty bills.

I got my pump calibrated atleast 5 times each time ending up paying close to 5K and NEVER got a smoother ride as I'm getting right now after getting it from a new place that i discovered lately. I spent 5.2K on pump calibration (incl some parts) and car is as good as new. The new mechanic is not a roadside one, but not too flashy either.... he got it calibrated from somewhere.
Where is this place.
MY FP does not need caliberation yet, but if it does, I will know where to go.
BTW isnt 5.2K a little too steep. I think you are talking about FP overhaul, for which TASS charges 6900.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

This is a place by the name "SOM Motors"..... its on the main Bawana Road, near Delhi College of Engineering. Dont get scared the way the owner speaks (he's a JAT!)

Oh yes, I was talking abt overhaul.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:42   #59
BHPian

@TSK1979:Thanks for your opinion & contact of suspension mechanic.

@panky12345:recalibration costs Rs1400 at Lucas service center, i think it must be cheaper in open market
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

At 87000KM, 5.5 yrs, Mar 2002, DLS, still going strong, I still resist to all the attempts by TASC to recallibrate or overhaul FIP.

Recently I saw drop in FE to 14.5 km/l, reported to TASC and straight response was FIP, may be true.... I asked them to hold on. I am planing to take it directly to LUCAS Jhandewalan Office, Delhi to get the FIP work done. Most of the Tata Indica User Group member are very well welcomed there. Also I will get it done in front of my eyes, will get back my car same day and will save labour money from TASC

This monday after 1 year of resistance I planned to replace the headlights (LHS bit cracked from side to water sipped in, making it dirty and for RHS, beams adjustment screw got free and beam was going to moon).

TASC asked for 1750 Rs for one, LUMAX brand, outside spare shop sold the same for 1150Rs, It is non-clear glass type, of old Indicas....

Now for general service, filters, oils, and spares I always go for outside spare shop...

Anything very typical, and requiring proper tools, are done at TASC, that also at one of my friends TASC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks