Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 10:26   #61
BHPian

hi all,
Today my DLS turbo went for the second service. I asked about engine oil additives. Prerana motors recommended BG. Not sure if thats a good one, but he said thats what Tata recommends. Any idea how good it is?
It costs about Rs. 400.
Also prerana quoted me about 1400 for 5.5 Lts of engine oil. This is for castor GTD. ANy idea if this is not the correct price?
Old 28th August 2007, 22:07   #62
Team-BHP Support

5.5lts? Where do they want to put in the engine oil!!?
Indica takes 3.2(or is it 3.5) lts of engine oil, not 5.5
It should cost no more than 650rs+labor
Old 29th August 2007, 12:44   #63
BHPian

Hi Tsk,
Great to hear from you. I kinda expected a delayed reply from you since i see you have moved to Santa Clara.

I just checked the manual and it is 4Liters for NA Indica and 5.5 for Turbo. So, what Prerana has done is to put 5.2L of Castrol GTD and .3L of Bhardhal engine oil additive. That comes to about 830 (castrol) + 400 (bhardhal additive).

The engine seems smoother or i dont know if it is phychological. But when i started the cold engine today morning there was a definite improvement in the sound. Will post more in long term ownership reports.
Old 31st August 2007, 13:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tsk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Indica takes 3.2(or is it 3.5) lts of engine oil, not 5.5
It should cost no more than 650rs+labor
Its takes 4.0 ltr exact when complete fill after change..

5.5Ltr no way ...
Old 31st August 2007, 15:38   #65
BHPian

Bharat, 5.5 lts is for the Turbo diesels. I verified from the Manual.
Old 12th September 2007, 19:50   #66
BHPian

Auto experts

Everytime I read the long term experience of a Tata indica owner, it seems with each passing day they become experts on cars considering the host of problems they face .
Eraser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2007, 09:38   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I asked about engine oil additives. Prerana motors recommended BG.

Also prerana quoted me about 1400 for 5.5 Lts of engine oil. This is for castor GTD. ANy idea if this is not the correct price?
Deep, reg engine oil additives, you can DIY. Try STP, Nulon, Bardahl ..

What is "BG" ?

The price of the engine oil should be as per MRP. Check out in the market for the price of the GTD.

Last edited by condor : 16th September 2007 at 09:39.
Old 16th September 2007, 19:38   #68
BHPian

BG is actually Bhardhal . I did not know that earlier. The service engineer said they dont stock STP but they stock BG. I just went in for that since I did not have a chance at that time!!
But, Bhardhal is more expensive than STP. I dont know how they compare, but this one seems good - the sound during cold start definitely is lesser.
Old 20th September 2007, 20:31   #69
KVS
BHPian

Pickup problems in My Indica DLS,2005

Guys,
I am having pickup problems in my Indica (DLS, 2005, 21,000kms). When I accelerate I do not get the required power immediately. There is a lag and I get the power after few secs. It is really problematic while overtaking. The problem started about two months back.

I gave it for servicing at Pandit Auto, they kept it for three days and said the problem is fixed, but the problem still persists.

Again I took the car today, the service guy took a test ride and said there is no problem. I insisted that there is problem they should look at it. The service rep called me and said they have cleaned the catalytic converter and Clutch plate and the car is OK now (according to them).

I do not know why this problem is coming? Did any one face similar problem? Can any one of the GURUS explain in layman terms what could be the problem?

Thanks
KVS
Old 28th November 2007, 12:13   #70
Team-BHP Support

88000 kms and counting

It took 5 months and a little more to go from 82K to 88K, thanks to my being out of country for 2 months.
These 6K kms have been one of the most expensive in the ownership of the car
For the first time, the alternator failed completely and I was stuck on the highway in the middle of nowhere. Had to get a new alternator
For the impatient, the cost summary is as follows
Unscheduled costs :
10,000 rs : 8700 for alternator replacement, and 1300 for towing
900rs : Front Brake pads and 1 disk
Fuel comsumed :
13698 Rs, 449 liters, the average was around 13.5, most of it city driving and that too lot of traffic driving
Scheduled maintenance expenses:
4000rs : LHS Mirror, Engine oil, Oil Filter, Diesel Filters, Gear oil, Coolant, Glow Plugs(2), Air Filter,Rear Brake Shoe, Rear wheel bearings(Inner and outer), Grease

The long story

First the bad bits. Well its obvious the Alternator failed. Had to get a new one. This alternator had been giving problems right since the car had done 45K. I guess thats the clean life of the alternator. Hopefully this alternator will last me 40K more. Its the standard 90A Lucas TVS alternator, and carries a 1 year warranty from Lucas-TVS. I am not too hopeful. All the Lucas TVS parts in this car which I am aware of have undergone repairs. Infact the only things in this car which have required unscheduled maintenance have been Lucas TVS and the Subros compressor. If tomorrow I open an automobile industry and make a car, I will try to have as few Lucas TVS parts as possible. I hear that Tata is replacing many of these Lucas TVS parts with made in china parts. Well good for them. They should replace all the Lucas TVS parts with made in china ones

Now coming to the good part.
The good thing is that my fears of requiring clutch plate, gear synchronizer etc., work were unfounded. She still does 135kmph+ on the speedo if you give her enough of open road. Coolant draining and sludge removal ensures that the temp needles does not rise to half way mark quickly as it did earlier.
The gear oil had turned to sludge. MY mistake. I should have gotten it checked before. After the change the gear shift is much much smoother and judder is hardly there. Mind you, there is still hint of judder, but I don't think I would need to get the spring work done for another 10K. As for the clutch plates, there is absolutely no slippage at all. Its still riding the original clutch. Maybe I will do a Honda and the clutch plates will last well beyond the 1 lakh mark(which I hope I do not reach before end of next year).
1 lakh mark means timing belt change, but thats a story in the future.
As for the engine, it does not eat oil at all. The acceleration is as good as it was new. I also discovered that adding STP does not do anything for the well being of engine oil. This time I put in Shell super diesel 15W50, instead of 15W40. Its API-CG grade.

Coming to the mechanicals, the tires are doing good as they should be since they are just 7000kms done. The rear bearings gave up, indicating displeasure by humming. Since they go after 15-20K I decided not to put TATA bearings but SKF ones. Hope these will last longer.

The shock absorbers are doing fine(as they should be since they are pretty new too(7000kms).

Coming to the electricals, they are niggling away as usual. For example the console clock does not dim on switching on the lights and the AC does not go backlit. A fuse has blown again, and I am letting it be. But external lights etc., are functioning except for left parking light. The reason being a loose coupler. If I hit it it lights up. Again I am not touching it. Let it be. The headlights are working fine, and so are the tail lights.

So thats the end of the long story. I really hope that the 95K service comes up after more than a year because with timing belt change, power steering fluid change and god knows what else, it may be a biggie.
Much before that service she will have a "saut", maybe it will be from the same family or competition, but one thing is certain, the new one will sip diesel.
And I have no intention of selling this one. Its our first car, and the first one always has that special place which the new one can never fill, even if its a prancing horse.
so here I end this, with cheers: to many many more trouble free miles
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2007, 13:31   #71
BHPian

Great review Tsk. My Indica is pretty new as yet, but you inputs have been very valuable to me. I know exactly what to expect at each step - all through the life of the car!! .
Old 28th November 2007, 18:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979;640181[B
Fuel comsumed :[/b]
13698 Rs, 449 liters, the average was around 13.5, most of it city driving and that too lot of traffic driving
Hey Tanveer, What is this data?

88000/13.5 = 6518 lit of Diesel * 33 (avg price) = Rs 215111

Abhi
Old 28th November 2007, 22:10   #73
Team-BHP Support

Nope, Fuel consumed since 81868kms till now
Old 29th November 2007, 11:29   #74
BHPian

Hi Tsk,

Let me congratulate you on a wonderful, wonderful report on Indica. I have not seen/read a more detailed report anywhere (and on any car too).

I still own a Indica DLE (Jan 2002). Back then Diesel used to cost only Rs 20.00 odd/litre and I could get the tank full for approx Rs 600.00. Good ol' days, should I say?

My Indica has logged 84k till date. Apart from regular servicing costs (oil, filter change) and the mandatory costs like brake pads, shock ups, wheel bearings, greasing etc, I incurred an out of turn expense only once - when I had to change the timing belt at 45k.

Last few days, I am seeing the temperature needle hover over the middle mark. I was worried that it might have something to do with the engine. Fortunately it isn't the case. The problem is with alternator overcharging. The battery gets charged upto 16 Volts sometimes and it is only during this time that the needle races over the mid mark. To be on the safer side I will have the thermostat setting checked too.

As for the TASS, I have stopped going to them as soon as the warranty period lapsed. I get my car serviced through a mechanic for last 3 and half years. No complaints whatsoever!

Would I buy a Tata product (Indica/Indigo) again?

Not now, but only because the new Indica/Indigo with 1.3 MJD, is in the offing. Otherwise, I would recommend it wholeheartedly to everyone.

Hopefully, the newer version will have a more stylish look in addition to being even more refined. A deadly combination, indeed.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th November 2007 at 12:56. Reason: Model year rectified.
Old 29th November 2007, 12:03   #75
Team-BHP Support

your car still has the original alternator? I think the regulator has gone.
This problem will go away after changing regulator. 20K kms later you would have spent around 3000rs on the alternator and your alternator will go kaput.
Then you will need to buy a new one.
My suggestion, get a new alternator right now. The 90A capacity one which comes in the new indica. This will last you a good 40K kms atleast.
I suspect your winding would have got damaged due to over voltage, along with the rectifier plate. Its a 3000 rs repair worst case for now. And after repair its never the same.
So take the plunge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks