Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2009, 10:53   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

It is kind of funny when you know engine is gonna quite any moment due to fuel and it does. Tried waggle and shakes to see if this would coax a bit more of fuel pick up but actually none worked. Once it stutter and quit it stayed put like that till a liter of gas was put in. Started after a couple of pulls on the starter switch.

Ah but now I know 62 liters in the specs booklet is 62 liters on the vehicle. Japo precision again.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:16   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

A small problem has cropped up.
Some times the a/c is not starting automatically. I observed that if I start it manually the compressor come up and I can switch it to "auto" position there after. However if I start the a/c directly at "auto" position the compressor does not start.
Hmmmm...needs check up at next service.
Old 13th July 2009, 20:58   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Just started a rather extended weekend drive at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1382454
Old 14th July 2009, 10:38   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

MODS: Can I request a change to title to Suzuki Grand Vitara : 100000Kms in 24 months - short term report

Since the car is now nearing the 100K Kms mark I am posting a synopsis review of my ownership experience for the 24months getting completed on 20th July.

Pros:

# Great vehicle and good VFM

# Been there and done that for on and off roading

# Excellent A/C

# Great driving position

# excellent beams for night drives

# Reliable and trouble free operation

# Despite odo reading the car still feels tight and light

Cons:

# No external fuel filter. Only filter is inside the fuel pump which itself is inside the fuel tank. Initially had faced some issues with contaminated fuel needing cleaning of filter.

# Single CD player (New model has 6CD changer) and no socket for Ipod (New one?)

# Wipers leave a "film" when used which take a couple of seconds to disappear. Changing with another pair OE or Bosch has not helped. Irritating during night drives.

# Tight rear suspension set up is great for off-roads but back seat passengers feel it on Indian "pot holed" tarmacs. On good tarmac there is no problem.

# Would have been happier with more power (New model rectifies this)

Breakdowns:

#Fuel supply cut outs occured a couple of times. Culprit initially was bad fuel quality and had to throw away tank full of Petrol as there was heavy sedimentation. It takes time to do this as you have to open up the drive shafts and then only get access to fuel tank bolts. Only after you have taken out the tank you can access the submerged fuel pump and filter.

#Again fuel feed issues in middle of nowhere. Was able to two it to a small town 20Kms away. Suspected fuel sedimentation. At a local mechanic (car & motorcycle) got the fuel pump opened (same cumbersome procedure) to clean the filter. He observed that a tiny "O" ring was cut and was obstructing the fuel impeller. A "O" ring from motorcycle kit was sued to get things in order. This is still running.

#Near 90k mark the A/C climate control system has developed a quirk which means that I need to first start the A/C in manual mode and then shift to auto. If I leave the switch to auto the A/C does not kick in. To be attended in next service

Journeys:
Delhi-Leh-Delhi twice (Raid-de-Himalaya + offroad)
Delhi-Bhuj-Delhi twice times (Desert Storm + offroad)
Delhi-Bikaner/Jaisalmer/Jodhpur-Delhi multiple (+ offroad)
Delhi-Mumbai-Delhi once
Delhi-Mori-Delhi once
Delhi-Chandigarh/Ludhiana/Jallandhar/Amritsar-Delhi multiple
Delhi-Corbett-Delhi
Delhi-Pangot-Delhi
Delhi-Bhimtal-Delhi
Delhi-Simla-Delhi
Delhi-Tohana-Delhi multiple

Would I buy it again:
Yes.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2009, 10:43   #125
Senior - BHPian

Great going Sudev!! You are the perfect brand ambassador for GV.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:01   #126
Team-BHP Support

sudev are you going to buy the new gv?
Old 14th July 2009, 11:08   #127
Senior - BHPian

Some odo read

The only one who uses a SUV as it has to be used on daily basis.

If upgrading,what will be your next SUV?
Old 14th July 2009, 12:08   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

No new purchase just yet. I find GV great value for money. The other option at or below this value:
Gypsy - great but not comfortable. Would have been my vehicle if I was younger
Scorpio - have not liked the tall stance plus not too many MHawk 4x4 around even for TD
Safari - can not live with niggles and too heavy
M&M - too slow and noisy

On the higher side there are some pretenders but if you need a good reliable machine with some off road capability the next best to buy would be Pajero. Or high... ;-)
Old 14th July 2009, 19:44   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

I forgot to add that overall parts costs is low as I had to replace suspension and brake components.
Old 14th July 2009, 21:10   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
# No external fuel filter. Only filter is inside the fuel pump which itself is inside the fuel tank. Initially had faced some issues with contaminated fuel needing cleaning of filter
Maybe you can add one that sits between tank and engine.
Old 14th July 2009, 21:25   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mpower: All piping is metal and I feel it is best not tampered with. Generally rubber hoses are used in most cars. The only place there is a rubber connect is right next to engine. This is more for vibration isolation but not good place to put a filter.
Old 19th July 2009, 20:56   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the GV out along with the Northern India Offroad Club (NIOC). It was interesting experience and was glad to get an opportunity to test out the off roading capabilities. Have posted my views on this thread.

Overall I was impressed with the performance. I know it does not shine a light on much more capable M&M 4x4's but it did let me do most of the stuff in the comfort of A/C and with much less body jarring bounces.

Damages:
Lost one OE mud flap. Careless of me but these things do cost a bomb.
Got a nick on the tyre side wall. Needed to be more careful but tight stony mine trap has left its impression.
The exhaust pipe suspension hanger came off. This is easily put back when car cools down by jacking up under the muffler pipe and slipping back the rubber hanger. Located underside almost in the middle of the vehicle. No driving problem except higher vibrations.

Last edited by sudev : 19th July 2009 at 21:01.
Old 20th July 2009, 00:37   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Took the GV out along with the Northern India Offroad Club (NIOC). It was interesting experience and was glad to get an opportunity to test out the off roading capabilities.
Oh no, you didn't.

Quote:
Overall I was impressed with the performance. I know it does not shine a light on much more capable M&M 4x4's but it did let me do most of the stuff in the comfort of A/C and with much less body jarring bounces.
Well, now you know the limits of the vehicle. Our GVs can handle any kind of damaged roads, better than the Jeeps, and in lot more comfort. But when you get offroad according to Jeepers definition, we have to eat humble pie. That's why I bought a Jeep.

I too have my share damages from offroading with GV.

Quote:
Lost one OE mud flap. Careless of me but these things do cost a bomb.
I only damaged it. Also ripped off the paint behind the rear mud flap.

Quote:
Got a nick on the tyre side wall. Needed to be more careful but tight stony mine trap has left its impression.
I have a sidewall puncture which is hard to repair.

Quote:
The exhaust pipe suspension hanger came off. This is easily put back when car cools down by jacking up under the muffler pipe and slipping back the rubber hanger. Located underside almost in the middle of the vehicle. No driving problem except higher vibrations.
This has happened to me twice so far. Once after my very first offroad adventure with GV. That vibration got me running into the service station fearing something worse. They lifted the vehicle and saw the slipped off rubber hanger. Two weeks back it happened again while I run over a water challenge on NH-17 at 60kmph. I started getting vibrations, but I understood what could have happened. So I got down on the knees and looked, the rubber hanger was totally missing. The water sloshed hard enough to rip it away. So I did the remaining 30 Kms suffering the vibration, drove right into M.A.S.S. My regular service advisor lifted the vehicle and nearly a dozen mechanic fanned out under the GV to see the rare specimen. Since I knew the problem, I pointed at the missing part. And a mechanic showed me that it had merely slipped all the way back, almost impossible to see when the vehicle is on ground. So he slipped it back and we were done. No charges.

Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-p3150545.jpg

This rubber hanger is a very nice design, when it is hit, it merely slips and not fall off. You can easily slip it back and be back on business.

I also cracked my rear bumper, a very expensive part. However, MASS was able to fix it back using a piece of thermocol. It has held for 15 months now.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2009, 02:41   #134
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sudev on this milestone and a trouble free ownership.

And you have completed 1L kms in 2 years and yet you call it short-term but if we talk about time taken then probably you can say its short term.

As i dont know anybody who has done 1L kms in 2 years, thats incredible and i can calculate how much time in last 2 years you have spent in GV.

Wish you more such pleasant journies.

cheers
Old 20th July 2009, 04:09   #135
BHPian

Hats off to you, sir!

Why does Maruti bother with full page ads for it's new GV? All it needs to do is provide a link to this thread, and all the world and their dog would rush out to buy one!

Any plans for an upgrade to the new GV?

Most Viewed