Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 14:31   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Ishan, lets forget about the small components for a minute & talk about the bigger ones - Dana Spicer Diffs, Borg & Warner Transfer Cases,Turboenergy Turbochargers; do you seriously think they are selling 7 to 10% cheaper to TML than they are selling to say, Mahindra? I doubt it. Its all about laxity & corruption at the entry point. Say, if the tolerance levels are -3% & you take in (knowingly) something that is -7%, somewhere down the line, it fails & the end customer is banging his head trying to figure out what went wrong.
True, you do have a point here. It's just that it's a little hard to imagine & accept that a company like TATA is run like a typical Govt. department.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:09   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I did not engage 4x4 at 80kmph. I was driving at 80kmph on a salt flat with loose sand and the mode was 4H. I was in 4th gear
Of course. I also interpreted that as "you were already in 4H and then you reached 80kmph."

Quote:
Safari does not have diff locks, and there is no center diff. So you cannot engage 4x4 on hard ground.
However the rear has LSD in case of the Safari
So if there is no central differencial, then the crux of the matter is - does the 4H mode in Safari have the capability to dynamically vary the distribution of torque to front and rear. In absence of a central diff, this capability would be generally limited and that would a very important aspect to be aware of (as it would manifest itself in the form of a certain speed limit in 4H mode).

For example, my Tucson has the 4H mode and the max speed limit in 4H mode is 40kmph!
Good part is that 4H mode automatically gets disengaged above 40kmph. Bad part is that there is no 4L mode (of course that's irrelevant to the point of this discussion).

My humble suggestion - please find out the recommended speed limit in 4H mode for your future reference.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:10   #348
BANNED

problem with the 4WD.

Cant comment on it, but our T-BHP'ian Hrag aka Hrishi has been to almost 2 OTR's and has put the Beast to the worst possible of punishments.

It has stood tall inspite of such harsh punishments.

Hope your trouble is fixed up soon.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:49   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

So if there is no central differencial, then the crux of the matter is - does the 4H mode in Safari have the capability to dynamically vary the distribution of torque to front and rear. In absence of a central diff, this capability would be generally limited and that would a very important aspect to be aware of (as it would manifest itself in the form of a certain speed limit in 4H mode).

For example, my Tucson has the 4H mode and the max speed limit in 4H mode is 40kmph!
Good part is that 4H mode automatically gets disengaged above 40kmph. Bad part is that there is no 4L mode (of course that's irrelevant to the point of this discussion).

My humble suggestion - please find out the recommended speed limit in 4H mode for your future reference.

In the manual there is no speed limit for 4H. There is no way of torque redistribution, but as long as I am on soft ground, it should not matter whats the speed.
On hard ground of course it can lead to transmission windup.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:08   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
In the Safari 4x4, there are no speed limits for 4H, its the same as 2H
Old 9th January 2009, 16:09   #351
Senior - BHPian

One not entirely OT query for Safari owners (2.2 VTT diesel):
My Jijaji from Chandigarh has to go back tomorrow (he is with us in Delhi now) but does he have reason to worry that he will run out of fuel. Distance is 270 kms (say +10-15% margin or 320 km) and tank needle is showing half empty.

Filling up today is not an option as he has gone twice and come back empty handed.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:17   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
My Jijaji from Chandigarh has to go back tomorrow (he is with us in Delhi now) but does he have reason to worry that he will run out of fuel. Distance is 270 kms (say +10-15% margin or 320 km) and tank needle is showing half empty.
No sweat, he should be able to make it back without any worries whatsoever. How much distance has he already covered? I made it to Corbett & back (including some 60 odd kms of local running there) on one tank of fuel last week (over 670 kms) & the 2.2 is supposed to be more fuel efficient than the 3 litre.

Last edited by suman : 9th January 2009 at 16:19.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:25   #353
Team-BHP Support

Doable. Safari has a 62 liter tank. However at halfway mark, its 25 liters left, not 31.
So he should drive at 70-80 in 5th gear for best FE. I got 17kmpl when I drove 50-60 in 4th gear.

He may find fuel on some highway pump, esp NRL or the BP pumps on entering the capital.
Karnal has a few big HP pumps which can have fuel.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:27   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One not entirely OT query for Safari owners (2.2 VTT diesel):

Filling up today is not an option as he has gone twice and come back empty handed.

Quote:
Doable. Safari has a 62 liter tank.
Correction, it has a 65ltr tank(ref pg 100 of manual), 10 ltrs are left when the fuel lamp starts glowing fully. The vehicle will get stranded even before the needle reaches the "E" Mark.

Last edited by dadu : 9th January 2009 at 16:31.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:30   #355
Senior - BHPian

It also seems to us that getting back to Chandigarh is not an issue with a half tank (say 25/26 litres, 13-15 kmpl on highways, and 280 km of distance). He gets 13 kmpl in Chandigarh which is a lot more orderly than the NCR jungle. However, he has a lovely wife and a 4-year old daughter. That perhaps makes it a bit more risky.

Thanks a lot and I shall tell this to him (he does not monitor tank to tank or even uses the tripmeter on fuel fill).

PS: I checked Safari website and it said 65 litre tank???
Old 9th January 2009, 16:40   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doable. Safari has a 62 liter tank.
Nope, 65 litre tank
Quote:
He gets 13 kmpl in Chandigarh which is a lot more orderly than the NCR jungle.
Even at 11 kmpl, he will not require more than 25 litres & I think the Safari should have more than that if the needle is at halfway mark.

And I would say 11 kmpl is a very very reasonable mileage on NH 1, he will probably get much more than that. But, as you said, a wife & a 4 year old kid just casts a shadow of "What if...."
Old 9th January 2009, 18:49   #357
Team-BHP Support

My diseased horse

More drama.
Called up autolinks. 4x4 is fixed and full testing will be done by tomorrow forenoon.
Suspension bush is making noise, and not in stock, so part will have to come from Pune.
And the biggest issue, the service light. Delphi guys came and did extensive testing. Atleast the injectors with the sensors etc., have to be changed. Maybe other common rail components too.
Again parts will have to be ordered.
So hopefully I will get her tomorrow, and then after all the parts come, it will go for a visit again.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:02   #358
Senior - BHPian

TSK,

Unfortunate that one thing after another is cropping up. Hope all of them get sorted in one go.

The main reason of my post - love the way you keep updating the title!
Old 9th January 2009, 19:44   #359
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Cant comment on it, but our T-BHP'ian Hrag aka Hrishi has been to almost 2 OTR's and has put the Beast to the worst possible of punishments.
Almost 2? I can count at least 5 OTRs with the Bangalore gang (Sakleshpura, Ramanagara / Bidadi, Anekal / Pearl Valley, Thippagondanahalli, Chudemahalli / Gunjur) OK 4.5

Seriously, I am watching this thread very closely and hope Tanveer's problems are sorted out - if I'm not wrong, his is the first 2.2 on the forum where 4x4 is being used extensively.

vasudeva, your uncle can do it easily but please also ask him to fill diesel at the first available opportunity.

Last edited by hrag : 9th January 2009 at 19:46.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:04   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More drama.
Called up autolinks. 4x4 is fixed and full testing will be done by tomorrow forenoon.
Suspension bush is making noise, and not in stock, so part will have to come from Pune.
And the biggest issue, the service light. Delphi guys came and did extensive testing. Atleast the injectors with the sensors etc., have to be changed. Maybe other common rail components too.
Again parts will have to be ordered.
So hopefully I will get her tomorrow, and then after all the parts come, it will go for a visit again.
great that the 4x4 issue is solved.

suspension bush is a spare which should have been in stock.

did they tell you the reason why the injectors, sensors, etc. went kaput or why thay have to be changed in the first place? i mean, what went wrong? manufacturing defect or fault from your side?

and finally, can you please ask them how many times would you have to visit the A.S.S. due to lack of spares from their side? please inform the service manager that he is not your best buddy that you are dying to meet him again and again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks