Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 09:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

what is the wattage of the powervision surya?
ARAI instructs all automobile manufacturers that the headlight bulbs should be no more than 35W. hence all cars come with 35W bulbs as standard.
but if we increase it to 60 or 100W, it serves no purpose other than blinding the oncoming traffic.
however, i am not yet sure whether its legal to fit such bulbs.
Old 6th January 2009, 09:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj,
I think the standard fitment HL bulbs are 60/55. Philips and OSram have the same specs but the light spread i heard(read on this forum too) is much brighter and better!
Old 6th January 2009, 10:13   #48
BHPian

I think the stock lights are adequate only when you do occasional night driving, but for seasoned night driver, I believe this leave lot to desired, the last journey I did was whole night and I was mostly looking for better lighting, I will see if I can get Philips nightvision or Osram light..

-Pramod
PS: Just a thought is Pulsar 220 project of any use while trying DIY with HID xenon

Last edited by pramods : 6th January 2009 at 10:14.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi getsurya,

I am thinking of Xenons from more of a look factor than the power of the stock lights which I agree are more than adequate.

Can you give me th link to the thread where the member has used a projector lens on the Ikon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
My suggestion Mupreti & Wandernomad would be to a DIY with Projector lens(as one of our TBHP members did it for his Ikon)on Scorpio. This would serve the purpose along with sparing the oncoming cars!
I personally found the Scorpio stock headlamps quite powerful for oncoming vehicles. Would be great with Philips Powervision kind of stuff instead of Xenons!!

Has Anybody tried the Philips Powervision or Osram Nightbreakers to replace the stock HL bulbs?? If so, please share your observations and night time pics. Will help lot of us
Old 6th January 2009, 12:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

hi MupReti,

pfa the link for Ford Ikon Projector DIY

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...my-ikon-2.html
Old 6th January 2009, 23:10   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
what is the wattage of the powervision surya?
ARAI instructs all automobile manufacturers that the headlight bulbs should be no more than 35W. hence all cars come with 35W bulbs as standard.
but if we increase it to 60 or 100W, it serves no purpose other than blinding the oncoming traffic.
however, i am not yet sure whether its legal to fit such bulbs.
AFAIK Most cars come with 55/60w bulbs and this is the legal limit.
Old 7th January 2009, 10:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
AFAIK Most cars come with 55/60w bulbs and this is the legal limit.

oops, sorry for the error.
Old 7th January 2009, 10:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

Pramod liked your review , It's good that your niggles are sorted out.
I feel these kind of niggles are result of human apathy, carelessness and lack of quality control by Indian manufacturers and A.S.S which destroys ownership experience.

Why don't you start a thread on Scorpio mHwack problems and solutions
thread similar to one which exists for Safari 2.2 VTT it will help a lot to other owners and new buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Got every thing sorted today, yesterday they were able to fix only clutch problem, I have to sit there for 3 hours, they balanced the wheel, and bolted every underbody bolt with proper torque, now everything seems fine.
Engine is as refined as new, afterall its just <4 month vehicle, even though I have done 10K+ kms, the funny part I got the call from the same service center for 1st Service reminder, I told them to be in sync with the service record and have already done with 2 servicing.
Service center named Unnati Motors here in Nagpur, treats the customer very well, I was all fired because of yesterday incident, but as soon as they saw me and heard the complaint, they apologized and then followed all the process for aligment, from removing the tires, checking each and every breaks, suspensions and underbody bolts and then doing the alignment.
I hope they continue the same to all the customers and would be very happy to recommend this to each and every one!!

-Pramod
Old 7th January 2009, 10:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Why don't you start a thread on Scorpio mHwack problems and solutions
thread similar to one which exists for Safari 2.2 VTT it will help a lot to other owners and new buyers.
we talk about the problems we face with our scorpios in the 'all scorpio owners with pics if their SUVs' thread itself.

actually the problems we face are very few and rare when compared to the safari owners, so it does not justify the need for a new thread!
Old 7th January 2009, 10:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
These decals are available only on the mHawk versions and the earstwhile sports model.

As per my dealer those who do not want them they can be removed before delivery.
Decals are available only on mHwack Vlx and not on Vls , there is not much of useful feature difference between Vlx and vls except cruise control . tyre pressure sensors and rain sensors and reverse sensors so if you dont really need these electronics you can purchase Vls and save 1 lakh rupees.
Instead of Stock scorpio reversing system whcih has 2 sensors and gives only distance in CM one can go for Redsoul Reverse parking system with Camera , 7 Inch integrated LCD in RVM and 4 sensors which provides both visual image , Distance in CM and Audio warning for 14K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.sw View Post
Seat Fabric

The seat fabric supplied by M&M is an uncomfortable man made fabric - and it's not very attractive! I got Stanley Boutique to cut off the original fabric and replace it with pure leather. Stanley boutique also added a bit more padding, and fitted leather door panels. The result is greater comfort and super apperance.
Stanley seats are good , I think they do not tear the original fabric but put foam and leather on top of it ( atleast this is what Stanley guy told me)
Stanley charges premium for brand they have there are other cheaper options for leather seat covers as well in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.sw View Post
Rear View Mirror

The parking sensors aren't a bad idea, but they're only fitted to the rear of the vehicle. That's not a problem, but there is an annoying light on the rear view mirror in the shape of a car. This light is ON the whole time, day and night, even when the vehicle is NOT in reverse gear.

Why? You only need the reversing sensors when you're reversing, so why doesn't it switch on when the driver engages reverse gear (as the reversing lights do)? Unfortunately, it is VERY distracting at night as there is always a bright light shining towards the driver.

Does anyone know how to remuve the bulb?
I think this is because the LED integrated in RVM are not cutting off , Usually in 3ed party systems controller cuts off the LCD / LED when sensors are off. You can get the connections checked outside with some installer.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we talk about the problems we face with our scorpios in the 'all scorpio owners with pics if their SUVs' thread itself.

actually the problems we face are very few and rare when compared to the safari owners, so it does not justify the need for a new thread!
I know by now Raj that you are a die hard Scorpio fan but from the
anecdotes from friends and 2 of the owners here , the problems mHwack owners face are exactly similar to what most Safari 2.2 VTT owners face namely door rattling ,Sqeeks , electronics malfunctions , Clutch issues , Side effects of servicing etc.
There may be some issues typical to Scorpio like handling and water splash etc and there may be some typical Safari issues like steering idler nut setting not being equal by A.S.S resulting in khat sound etc.
The only diff I see on T-BHP is that there is are strong technical experts like DADU who provide support to Safari owners.

Yes there may be some lucky fellows like you or some other die hard safari fans who never face any issue but for rest of ordinary mortals it is not good to live in state of denial.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
from the
anecdotes from friends and 2 of the owners here , the problems mHwack owners face are exactly similar to what most Safari 2.2 VTT owners face namely door rattling ,Sqeeks , electronics malfunctions , Clutch issues , Side effects of servicing etc.
lets take it on a lighter note buddy.

firstly, i am not a scorpio FAN.

door rattling, squeaks, electronic malfunctions, clutch issues.... GOSH!
i am really lucky as i have faced none of these issues in mine!

as far as i am concerned, scorpio is free from rattling, squeak and clutch issues. i have no idea what you meant by electronic malfunctions, is a blown fuse a malfunction?

servicing... yes, has tremendous scope for improvement, but what can we discuss in that?

still if you feel, you can start a new thread for the scorpio on similar lines, i will surely participate. i have discussed the problems i face with my scorpio in some other thread (my ownership review), i will post them in your thread.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 7th January 2009 at 13:12.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
firstly, i am not a scorpio FAN.

door rattling, squeaks, electronic malfunctions, clutch issues.... GOSH!
i am really lucky as i have faced none of these issues in mine!
Yes either you are lucky or you are very generous, Till now I have read 2 owners on this thread itself who have faced rattling and squeaks also pramod has mentioned clutch / gear issue. of course there are a few people on Safari thread also who never faced any issue , There are even 2 TCIC Safaris which completed 4.5 lakh kilometers with out any issue so is it enough to say Safari in general has no quality issues ? Same principle applies to to any other brand including Scorpio.

Quote:
i have no idea what you meant by electronic malfunctions, is a blown fuse a malfunction?
Of course yes it is a malfunction , There is no reason why fuse should blow on its own. Fuse blowing is indication of some overload on electricals and in a stock vehicle this indicates bad design or some fault. For the record in my dads Opel Corsa not a single fuse has blown in last 7 years. Same is the case with our Maruti 800 but that may not be best example as I do not remember its service history from my childhood.

If you have noticed on the Safari 2.2 thread people have reported the blown fuse issue and they got proper advise to replace it with a new fuse of same rating and carry few spare fuse.

An even bigger problem can arises if people fit higher rating fuse to solve repeated blown fuse issue we have seen pictures of at least 3 Scorpios which caught fire and most probable reason is that fuse did not blow ( probably either owners fitting higher ampere rating fuse or some fault in QC of mahindra ) and instead the wiring caught fire .

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th January 2009 at 13:29.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:46   #59
Senior - BHPian

Dear getsurya,

Thanks. This was helpful.

However I am facing so many niggles now I might as well have them sorted out before going in for any additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
hi MupReti,

pfa the link for Ford Ikon Projector DIY

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...my-ikon-2.html
Old 8th January 2009, 08:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

@ amitk26: you are right buddy, perhaps i am lucky. hence i dont feel the need for a new thread.
thats the reason i commented, in case you (or anyone else) start a new thread based on this, i will actively participate.
now lets stop hijacking this thread by debating on a different issue, LOL...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks