Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2009, 19:49   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX

I have booked a Scorpio LX today (with MHawk engine) after cancelling the Maruti DZire ZDi booking. I got news from the Mahindra salesman and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the MHawk engine comes in almost all Scorpio variants but for the M2DI. The MHawk engine of 2149 cc/120bhp has been much to my liking since it was launched. And Mahindra is in my genes having been with all sorts of jeeps since a long time. Incidentally the 2.6 CRDe engine is now only for the Xylo (indeed 2.5 L in the Xylo ) and the Scorpios have the MHawk in all the versions.And the DI engines power the cheapest, base model Scorpios only.
So since the LX fitted my budget, I booked one and expect the SUV to reach here by 15th April 09..The colour opted for is mist silver.
I drove the DZire a few times other than the first test drive. But the reasons for cancelling the DZire ZDi booking was that the Mahindra range was first on my list, but since I have been using Marutis I have developed some brand loyalty. The Xylo had a three to four month waiting list.I liked it during the test drive.But the waiting list made me think about sour grapes.
And the killer news came as a call from the Mahindra salesman, who said that for my budget they had a MHawk powered variant. So that's what made me switch over.
The LX has dual AC with heater, PW, tilt steering,ski rack,spoiler 2 mobile charging points,tubeless tyres central locking,engine immobiliser, fabric interiors. Since the Scorpio LX does not come with many goodies, I would need your views as to what all are exactly essential accessories for the SUV. For instance, it does not have the body claddings and wheel covers.
Old 28th March 2009, 19:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the 1st to congratulate you, anjan. Welcome to the scorpio experience.
Old 28th March 2009, 20:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Anjan, : Enjiy the car and drive safe
What is the deal you got ?
Old 28th March 2009, 20:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats anjan. great choice of vehicle, expected words from me!!!

the accessories i would suggest are:
1) alloys
2) nice ICE
3) front bull bar
4) if possible, get side claddings fitted at the dealer.

of course, there are some basics like window tints & seat covers. you are so lucky that you got the amazing mHawk engine for 8 lakhs whereas i paid 11.5 for it, im jealous!!!
Old 28th March 2009, 20:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations brother. Now you mentioned on another thread that your expected date of delivery is April 15th. Did they just tell you this? Or is it written somewhere? Firm commitment? I am wondering on how to extract a firm commitment.
Old 28th March 2009, 21:42   #6
BHPian

even i am thinking of buying the new scorpio sle (or whatever it is). lets see what happens. congratulations. good decision
Old 28th March 2009, 22:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks badboyscad,Eddy,Raj,Red Liner,nawabnabeel for the congratulations!
Eddy it will cost me about Rs 8 L. They are not giving any discounts as they say the new face lifted version is quite new.
Red Liner- Yes they have said 15th April for me-but do they usually keep up the committment.Thats only a word from them and is nowhere written.
Raj-I have all those on my mind. The first shocker was the cladding. The entire set costs Rs 39,000=00 with the dealer.Outside it is not available I believe.You may be able to say.And the point is that the SLE for some 9 L is packed with the claddings and more features like ABS.
Of course ICE is what I am on the lookout for and bull bars I shall get fitted sure.
Old 28th March 2009, 22:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow! wouldnt this be the first facelift scorpio? COngrats.
Old 28th March 2009, 23:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

I think Mahindra has got its pricing down pat at last! Safari will have to do something drastic to match it now!
Old 28th March 2009, 23:58   #10
BHPian

Congratulations anjan for the Scorpio !! But, please avoid the bullbar due to safety reasons.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 29th March 2009 at 00:00.
Old 29th March 2009, 01:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I just might beat him to it
Old 29th March 2009, 08:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

The race begins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I just might beat him to it
All the best to both of you.

@Anjan,
Does it cost 39k for the cladding? What all are included in it? This definitely seems to be on the high (very) side.
Old 29th March 2009, 08:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! You will surely enjoy the mighty muscular new Scorpio!
Old 29th March 2009, 09:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Preliminary congrats, Anjan?
Hope M&M does not let you down on delivery date!

Once you have it, you'll love it.
Old 29th March 2009, 11:15   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Anjan,

Congrats from my side too. I have been eyeing a SUV for some time now but the global meltdown has made me postpone my plans.

Did the dealer show you the official pricelist for the new cladding? I had checked a few months back about the same (when I was thinking of the then LX) and I was quoted around 3k per piece which means (3,000 x 4 pieces per side x 2 sides) = 24k. Also the 'extended' front bumper was 8k I think. Further, the dealer maintained that they would NOT fit it and I would have to get it done outside and it WILL violate the anti-rust warranty etc on the body. He said that it is quite a precise job involving drilling nearly 200 holes and they do not take the chance. Anyway, search TBHP as there is someone who got it done on his LX.

So has Mahindra hiked the new cladding cost then or does the 39k include the new front and rear bumpers too?

Also, if you are thinking of alloys or upsized tyres, consider one thing: the LX's lack of side cladding means that if you fit a alloy with a unusual offset and/or wide tyres, the tyres will stick out of the wheelarches and make driving in crowded pedestrian areas a bit dicey and the sides very dirty. Search for Shankar Balan's posts as he has/had a LX and fitted alloys.

Also, the Scorpio is a bit prone to tyre wear / steering issues when fitted with wide tyres or alloys so search for Behram Dhabar's posts about the same.

Best of luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks