Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 23:33   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Took the SUV to perform Puja today late in the evening. Some pictures and the last one showing my daughter with the glee and sense of achievement on her face.
Hehe, yeah that 'my daddy's really beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg car' expression. I remember I had a similar pic of mine long back when I was a toddler,when dad bought our M800, it isn't anyhwhere close to Scorpio but still I used to drool over it alot.
So, ofcourse your little daughter must be on the top of the world and also very proud of you.
Enjoy the vehicle,it really looks handsome, those new ORVMs too look far better than those on the older version.
By the way, did you think about installing Foglamps? They may very well enhance the butch appearence of your scorpio.
Old 15th April 2009, 23:43   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Took the SUV to perform Puja today late in the evening. Some pictures and the last one showing my daughter with the glee and sense of achievement on her face.
Congratz anjan! Enjoy the beast and do post a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Hi All,
Then came the worst part. The person who was giving the demo tried starting the car and it was not firing. Then they opened the bonet and started pumping the manual diesel pump. The car finally started after lot of cranking but after 10 mins of shut down it again refused to start. Again the manual pumping started and we identified that diesel was leaking from one of the joints of the fuel pump. I refused to take delivery of the vehicle and didn't sign any document (though they have the full payment in DD and created all the relevant papers on their front). This is kind of surprising as this was not there while I checked in the workshop. I went to the extent in checking the engine and chasis number to ensure that it is the same car and so it was.

Given my above eperience, should I accept the same car if all is rectified or should I ask for another car?
Is the car already registered in your name?

Find out what really happened, did they try fiddling with the pump in the first place during PDI?
Old 15th April 2009, 23:55   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Hehe, yeah that 'my daddy's really beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg car' expression. I remember I had a similar pic of mine long back when I was a toddler,when dad bought our M800, it isn't anyhwhere close to Scorpio but still I used to drool over it alot.
So, ofcourse your little daughter must be on the top of the world and also very proud of you.
Enjoy the vehicle,it really looks handsome, those new ORVMs too look far better than those on the older version.
By the way, did you think about installing Foglamps? They may very well enhance the butch appearence of your scorpio.
Thanks YC Baleno-In fact the Maruti 800 was the best available car till the dawn of the Maruti 1000 and the swarms of newer launches later on.I still have my 1987 M800 which is with me since 1990.
The new shape fog lamps are not still available with the M&M dealer. He says it may take a few months but I am firm on getting them fitted.
Jaggu thanks, I will post reviews here from time to time.
sudipta sorry to hear that! You should ask them for a new one and even wait till a new one is delivered, if you feel the teething troubles are too much for a brand new one.In fact, if the insurance and RTO is still pending you are free to take necessary steps. but if you feel that its repairable then go ahead.
AND FRIENDS I THANK MY DEALER FOR GETTING ME BRIDGESTONE DUELER TYRES. In fact I had told them to make me stay far far away from JK and Good Year.
Old 16th April 2009, 07:21   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Given my above eperience, should I accept the same car if all is rectified or should I ask for another car?
Sudipta, do not take this particular vehicle. Do not sign any delivery paper.
You are within your rights to choose a vehicle. You do not even have to give reasons!
Old 16th April 2009, 09:21   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

hey buddy, do not accept this vehicle. you never know, it may turn out to be a lemon.

also, i would request you to create your own new thread so that we can discuss about your car in detail there. it will also turn out to be your complete ownership experience thread in future.

Quote:
hi anjan, hearty congratulations.
do give a detailed report & your views about the car.
also, do post some nice pics in bright light.

happy motoring.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:20   #111
BHPian

All,

Thanks a lot for all your advice. I have decided not to accept this vehicle and will inform the dealer and sales guy on this decission. I will also keep M&M informed on the same. I know this can mean a few days delay but I think that will be wise given the chances of future trouble that I may go thru with this vehicle. I have the Engine and Chasis number with me and also the contact of th Regional Manager South India for Corporate Sales. Hope to get a new vehicle at the earliest.

@ Jaggu: The car is not yet registered, neither the insurance or the roadtax is paid. I think they tried something in the showroom (either to take out fuel or something as I saw there was enough fuel in the car at the workshop to run for 100 kms) and messed up big time.

@ Raj: I wil open up a new thread once I get the delivery of the car with pictures.
Old 16th April 2009, 19:05   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Raj will post more pictures and a reviews from time to time.
sudipta its good and soothing that you are getting a new one.Wish you all the best!
Old 19th April 2009, 21:33   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-068.jpg

Name:  sonycamv 086.jpg
Views: 7279
Size:  135.9 KB

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-087.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-089.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-090.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-091.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-092.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-093.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-094.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-095.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-096.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-097.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-098.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-100.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-104.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-105.jpg

Name:  sonycamv 106.jpg
Views: 6655
Size:  132.0 KB
The Mahindra Scorpio M Hawk is now in its 5th day in my stable (since 15/04/09) .Have driven around in the city and out of it ,I feel its a marvel of engineering. I think its the SUV that has radically changed the way we look at SUV's viz. bulky, heavy on the pocket, tough to maneuver,unfit for heavy city traffic,excellent for the highways and so on!
The Scorpio is a steal to handle even in the bumper to bumper city traffic and also on the highway where it rules.The rear Scorpio pogo effect is not very prevalent in the new rear suspension, that also has coil springs.The power steering is a joy to get along with.
The passengers within are well insulated from the outside.Engine noise intrusion is the bare minimum. As I said most occupants are unaware unless told, that they are being driven around in a diesel powered vehicle.The suspensions are marvellous to tackle our road eccentricities. Many costlier sedans do the Dandia, Hip-Hop, Salsa, Rock n'Roll and other dances depending on the make,on such roads, but the Scorpio cruises along, with its huge truck like body.
The MHawk is extremely responsive to throttle inputs-it exactly knows what the driver wants.I plainly remember my Yamaha RX 100 thats also equally responsive. The M Hawk engine also emits a typical grunt and that grrrrrrrr is now music to my ears.When pressed hard the grunt becomes GRRRRRRRRRRR. To hear that engine noise, the windows need to be rolled down and the AC switched off.The gears were a bit notchy when in its first and second day but the gear lever has become a joystick for me now.It engages itself with aplomb and takes commands very sincerely.
Coming to the ergonomics, the tilt steering is very easy to handle and so are the manually adjustable seats.The rear seat offers little leg room in the otherwise huge SUV, but if the front passengers are frail like me, the front seats can be adjusted to afford the rear passengers more leg space.The steering spokes (fattened) block the view of the dash to some extent.The horn is a bit hard and needs to be made easier to tackle, given our road conditions, where you do not know from where a stray cyclist can come and rattle the driver.
The speedo, tripmeter and the clock (easy to set) are very good to look at during day and night too.The tacho, fuel and temperature meters are also fine no doubt.But a thumbs down again to M&M. It has provided oil pressure and ampere meters to the older MM540DP's, Marshalls and similar UV's so there is enough reason for the company to offer guages to depict these. I can confidently assert that apart from the RPM meter, the oil pressure meter is a must, as it is a barometer for engine health. The switches are simple and easy to handle.The A.C. is a gem and cools the SUV within five minutes, if need be. The front and rear windscreens are I am told treated to lessen glare, be it due to the sunrays or blinding headlights. And it shows! Thumbs up to M & M there.
Cleaning the SUV by one self needs lots of efforts especially if the whole roof has to be made shiny and dazzling. Many nooks and corners on the roof are tough to access ,as our hands cannot reach them, unless we climb up like the Ford Endeavour or some bus, that have such flights of stairs to reach to the top!
The interior plastics though a vast improvement from the Bolero, are far from being classy. M&M needs to upgrade the quality for the sophisticated interior feel.
And the tools!!! The black jack is robust and so is its lever.This is shown in the pictures on the floor under the front co-passenger's seat. The tony bar is also provided loose. The red triangle for a halted vehicle is neatly packed in a blue rexine bag.The place to keep these is quite out of place I must say.M&M should have had better ideas to keep these securely, being in business for 62 plus years. The first aid kit (even the Honda Activa first aid kit is better packed in a good quality vinyl cover). and the two spare headlight bulbs are kept in the glove box on the dash and occupy all the available space.
AND NOW THE M & M HORROR SHOW-The tool kit is only a wee bit larger than the Honda Activa tool kit I have, that was provided by HMSIL.And yes there is no spark plug opener, the Scorpio being a diesel. So the tools are lesser than the in the Activa. Earlier the older jeeps came with a black canvas bag with lots of tools of all hues. The best tool kit from M & M I saw was with a 1999 MM540 DP.It was a good array of everything essential. All these jeeps had a lockable tool box below the driver's seat, though the lock could be opened by any good key. Those days are gone I believe!
Overall impression
Like the Maruti 800 very radically changed motoring in India the Scorpio has radically changed SUV'ing in India. And I am proud to be the owner of both these automobiles-one since 19 years and the other one since 5 days.
Old 19th April 2009, 22:35   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

A fact I forgot to mention is that the stepney is kept secure and to unbolt it, the tailgate needs to be opened.The picture (15th from top) shows the bolt that needs to be loosened to detach the stepney, which can be only done if someone gains an entry within the SUV.
Checking air pressure for the stepney is a pain as the tubeless tyre-valve faces up and the stepney bolt needs to be unscrewed to detach the stepney and check air pressure.
Old 19th April 2009, 22:52   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more photos of the Brute SUV
My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-100.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-102.jpg

Name:  sonycamv 103.jpg
Views: 6787
Size:  132.6 KB

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-113.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-114.jpg
The Brute SUV has got a number now! Its official!
My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-115.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-109.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-110.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-111.jpg
My daughter who's speaking on only one topic these days-The Scorpio
Old 19th April 2009, 23:40   #116

thanks for posting the pics...looks great!
Old 20th April 2009, 00:07   #117
BHPian

wow looks very different without the cladding.( in a nice way). personally i would have bought the black one. it would have jelled with bumpers mirrors and handle bars. this car needs some fat tyres and some chunky alloys.

congratulations again.
Old 20th April 2009, 07:27   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
wow looks very different without the cladding.( in a nice way). personally i would have bought the black one. it would have jelled with bumpers mirrors and handle bars. this car needs some fat tyres and some chunky alloys.

congratulations again.
Thanks Caramelo. Will post more and more about the beast here.
Old 20th April 2009, 08:23   #119
Senior - BHPian

nice pics anjan. but your car needs a wheel cover ASAP!

Quote:
The rear seat offers little leg room in the otherwise huge SUV, but if the front passengers are frail like me, the front seats can be adjusted to afford the rear passengers more leg space
Hi anjan, i have noticed from the pics that the middle row legroom in your car is very less, much lesser than my scorpio.
the reason could be that in your car, the boot is occupied by 4 seater long side facing benches & in my car, it has smaller 2 seater side facing bucket seats. so mahindra could push the middle bench a bit behind to liberate more legroom.

Quote:
The horn is a bit hard and needs to be made easier to tackle, given our road conditions, where you do not know from where a stray cyclist can come and rattle the driver.
this reminds me of my CRDe & non-CRDe scorpio whose horn buttons were hard to use but in the mHawk its very soft!

Quote:
It has provided oil pressure and ampere meters to the older MM540DP's, Marshalls and similar UV's so there is enough reason for the company to offer guages to depict these. I can confidently assert that apart from the RPM meter, the oil pressure meter is a must, as it is a barometer for engine health.
these days the sensors do the working & you will be warned through check lights on the instument console, thats it!

Quote:
The front and rear windscreens are I am told treated to lessen glare, be it due to the sunrays or blinding headlights. And it shows! Thumbs up to M & M there.
i have heard that all mHawks comes with something called 'solar glasses', even the older versions like mine. it is supposed to cut down heat radiation & glare. earlier it was available only in the VLX. good that mahindra provides it in the LX too.

Quote:
Cleaning the SUV by one self needs lots of efforts especially if the whole roof has to be made shiny and dazzling. Many nooks and corners on the roof are tough to access ,as our hands cannot reach them, unless we climb up like the Ford Endeavour or some bus, that have such flights of stairs to reach to the top!
ask me! use to side steps, stand on it & wipe the roof.

Quote:
This is shown in the pictures on the floor under the front co-passenger's seat. The tony bar is also provided loose. The red triangle for a halted vehicle is neatly packed in a blue rexine bag.The place to keep these is quite out of place I must say.M&M should have had better ideas to keep these securely, being in business for 62 plus years.
in my car, only is jack is securely bolted under the front seat. all the remaining tools are secured under the middle row seat.

Quote:
Overall impression
Like the Maruti 800 very radically changed motoring in India the Scorpio has radically changed SUV'ing in India. And I am proud to be the owner of both these automobiles-one since 19 years and the other one since 5 days.
now thats some serious statement!!!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 20th April 2009 at 08:26.
Old 20th April 2009, 10:36   #120
Senior - BHPian

nice review with pics. Please post some more pics of interiors taken from back seat. I love to hear that grrrr sound coming from Scorpio. Amazing vehicle to own.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks