Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 19:09   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is this like a feather duster?
Yeah Venky its a simple cotton duster thats washable with detergents.By the way waiting for the PART III on your Scorpio thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
more like a sticky lint roller/ lint remover I d have thought..
Its a simple cotton thread duster and costs some Rs 475=00. Very easy to use and cuts down on manual dusting and cleaning such huge beasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Any details on Jopasu ? How do you clean using it ? 5-10 mins is a very quick to clean such a big vehicle. Does it help with dust too ? water required ?
Jopasu works best on dry dust accumalated on the paintwork and other body parts.It just absorbs without allowing the dust to come and settle on our nostrils and later lungs.Wet surfaces are not at all preferred by this duster.
Mods may think this is an ad for the duster, but believe me I have no such vested interests but simply love that very practical duster.
Old 12th May 2009, 21:24   #182
BHPian

@ Scorpio Immobilizer fiasco

guys as far as my knowledge goes there are 2 kinds of Immobilizer

1. the one based on RF ID which is a chip embedded in the car keys which has codes. the code is also fed in the ECU of the car that recognizes the key and starts the engine with the right key and vice versa. this is a comparatively cheaper device and many companies have made it standard eg Maruti ICats. the companies are able to source it at a very cheap cost 1000 to 1500 approx because of economies of scale. if you loose this key the manufacturer charges 600 to 1500 for the keys and reprogramming, cannot be done after market apparently. Although this gives you security that the car wont start without the right keys but an forced entry/duplicate key can be used to steal other things such as ICE etc. ALL RF ID KEYS IDEALLY HAVE DIFFERENT CODES.

2. the immobilizer based on the car security system/alarm, now there are codes even for this one. what this does is if the car is opened without the remote it will simple cut off the power to the engine therefore the car wont start. also there are other features that everyone is aware of.

Although previous models of Scorpio came with car security system based immobilizer only. But in the refresh version all variants have standard immobilizer ie RF ID one Embedded in keys. but in addition to that the SLE, VLX and VLX AT also have security system based immobilizer from NIPPON if i am correct.
Old 13th May 2009, 09:34   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
guys as far as my knowledge goes there are 2 kinds of Immobilizer

Although previous models of Scorpio came with car security system based immobilizer only. But in the refresh version all variants have standard immobilizer ie RF ID one Embedded in keys. but in addition to that the SLE, VLX and VLX AT also have security system based immobilizer from NIPPON if i am correct.

are you sure about this?

anjan or redliner, can you confirm this? is there a visible chip in your scorpio's key?
Old 13th May 2009, 09:36   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
anjan or redliner, can you confirm this? is there a visible chip in your scorpio's key?
The chip is never visible. It is buried in the key fob plastic.

The 'car & padlock' icon in the console ought to be active. Is it?
Old 13th May 2009, 11:26   #185
BHPian

@anupmathur

absolutely correct the chip will never be visible its a very micro level chip really small embedded inside the plastic/rubber top of the key.

i am sorry but i did not understand this thing
The 'car & padlock' icon in the console ought to be active
Old 13th May 2009, 12:30   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
i am sorry but i did not understand this thing
The 'car & padlock' icon in the console ought to be active
Nishant, I can see the icon is there in the cluster of my 2006 CRDe but it has not been connected to the central locking system.
I believe this icon is a universal one to indicate this RF-ID chip based anti-theft device and is always integrated with the ECU, the way it is in all Maruti cars. If an incorrect (after-market duplicate) key is inserted the ignition can be turned ON, the icon will keep flashing and the car will not start even though the starter will operate. With the correct key, this icon stays lit 'steady' till the engine fires.

So, in the new Scorpios, is this icon active or not?
Old 13th May 2009, 14:22   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Refresh comes with RFID

Quote:

are you sure about this?

Nishant is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Nishant, I can see the icon is there in the cluster of my 2006 CRDe but it has not been connected to the central locking system.
I believe this icon is a universal one to indicate this RF-ID chip based anti-theft device and is always integrated with the ECU, the way it is in all Maruti cars. If an incorrect (after-market duplicate) key is inserted the ignition can be turned ON, the icon will keep flashing and the car will not start even though the starter will operate. With the correct key, this icon stays lit 'steady' till the engine fires.

So, in the new Scorpios, is this icon active or not?
So the new Scorps do come with RFID! When I asked my dealer what happens if I lose my key, they said I need to report it at the local police station, get an FIR, which will be sent to M&M, and using the number pasted at the back of the key and the remote unit, a new one will be made and sent back. Until then, you will have to keep washing your car and stare at it.

Ofcourse, you can even have it towed to some place else. But duplicate keys will not work on this. The red Lock signage will continue flashing.

Yaay!
Old 13th May 2009, 14:44   #188
BHPian

Strange that Mahindra isnt publicising this fact. Leave alone publicising, I dont think its even mentioned anywhere on their website. Given that almost all Scorpio owners or to be owners think about buying a car that is at the top of car thieves, Mahindra should be boasting about this!
Old 13th May 2009, 17:22   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Strange that Mahindra isnt publicising this fact. Leave alone publicising, I dont think its even mentioned anywhere on their website. Given that almost all Scorpio owners or to be owners think about buying a car that is at the top of car thieves, Mahindra should be boasting about this!
exactly! especially when considering that the scorpio is in numero uno position when it comes to a thief's wish list.
Old 13th May 2009, 18:20   #190
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i wish they invent an electric force shield activation system around the vehicle so when an unauthorized person touches it, they get a solid shock-buzz - like those palm held shock-buzzers that used to be available as "prank" toys for kids. However this will need to be of a far higher intensity to deter the wicked and un-godly amongst us on earth
Old 13th May 2009, 19:33   #191
BHPian

@Red Liner

your dealer is partially correct

one should do an FIR although its not mandatory.
he is correct about the procedure of the remote/keyless entry but for physical keys all you need to is take your owners manual to the dealer, the dealer will get the required information about the keys from the manual then he will use a transponder unit which is a hand held unit to mimic the original keys after that only the transponder will be able to load the new codes of the replacement keys in the ECU. The dealership will always have the stipulated no of keys for customers use and will order new ones as and when required.

it wont be a lengthy affair but surely a costly one. Maybe the dealership have not been aligned to this as refresh has recently been launched.
Old 13th May 2009, 19:36   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

are you sure about this?

The chip is inbuilt within the key and the Scorpio manual says that remote locking as OE and the immobiliser are two independent units that are not related to each other.
I was also told by the dealer that should I have the misfortune of losing this key, it will be the police first, dealer next with the requisite fee, M&M next and then the new key comes to me via the dealer after a month or may be more.
Also today when I enquired with the dealer about the REFRESHED SCORPIO fog lamps to be fitted on my new brute SUV I was told that M&M Nashik plant is closed due to a strike thats into its second week now. So those who have booked Scorpios or Xylos can sit back and wait for the strike to get over!
Old 13th May 2009, 20:30   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Quote:
exactly! especially when considering that the scorpio is in numero uno position when it comes to a thief's wish list.
They do. It is called the engine immobilizer in the brochure. The problem is that most people confuse immobilizer with the alarm/central locking.
Old 16th May 2009, 20:43   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

One month with the Scorpio LX- The brute SUV has been with me now for a month and I have been mostly driving it within the city with an occasional drive just 10 or 15 kms outside the city.
The ownership experience has been quite pleasant for me till now but for the immobiliser code changing. I have not been able to visit the dealership and hope to get it done next week.
Maintaining and driving the SUV is quite like getting used to, for it has a lot of eccentricities that requires some patience and art to master (MA) or many may get a PhD. But not aiming to get any such degree is blasphemous if one owns a Scorpio.
Firstly cleaning the SUV is like getting a elephant bathed and that has to be done daily-I mean the dust and impurities that settle on it over a period of 24 hours, since I last cleaned it are microscopic to megascopic. The duster which I spoke of has made my job simpler. It has wax coated cotton threads that absorb dust. Now there was a squall and drizzle followed by heavy rains in my city yesterday. I drove my SUV for quite a distance for the first time in the rains.The wiper was tried by me at almost all positions of which I found the intermittent position to be OK for this kinda showers.
And the hell broke loose today morning! I found that the dirty and soil laden raindrops had as usual been lodged on the paintwork and the interior of the wheel arches and wheels becoming muddy. The duster can do nothing and its a conventional wash and wipe, which reminded me to believe that I have a Mist Silver coloured elephant in my garage, only going by its size and not hat its too heavy on the pocket on maintenance like "white elephants" as Englishmen say.
Driving in the rains was otherwise a pleasure and one feels so secure, being ensconsed on the seat of a tank like vehicle with your seat belts on. The wipers and the wash fluid if engaged and let out respectively make driving in the rains a joy.Must also calculate and manouvre the SUV optimally within limits so that it does not misbehave- you've gotta tame it! More of it a bit later.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th May 2009 at 20:46.
Old 17th May 2009, 08:28   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
They do. It is called the engine immobilizer in the brochure. The problem is that most people confuse immobilizer with the alarm/central locking.
the engine immobilizer was present earlier too. even my scorpio has the immobilizer but not the RFID tech. they have not advertised about the new RFID tech anywhere, ui believe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks