Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 10:42   #226
BHPian

Is the touchup is done by Brush? Doesn't look so bad .
Why didnt you try Com-paint.
Old 25th May 2009, 20:01   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Is the touchup is done by Brush? Doesn't look so bad .
Why didnt you try Com-paint.
Thanks Shabbir. The paint job only tries to hide the scratches but is only successful with its limitations. Can try Com Paint but am not so hopeful of something spectacular coming out there.
Nevertheless, sharing this with you all reduces the scratches within my heart as a result of the scratches on the ORVM.
Old 27th May 2009, 22:52   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Want to add another small review, as I am getting a few valid points to jot down.
Firstly about the immobiliser.The immobiliser has been eluding me since day one. After a week or so, some told that it has no immobiliser at all-even the technical information guy from the dealer, who had come all the way to my house, to explain the operations of the SUV told me so. Then I caught hold of the dealer and the Service Manager who did not respond well being blissfully ignorant. After approaching the company helpline more than two weeks back, the dealer contacted and told me that I am welcome to the showroom to change the immobiliser code. Then I was out of station for a short while and the link was broken. Last Saturday, 24th May, I again contacted the company helpline, as the dealer appeared to be still in a deep slumber (only for my immobiliser). Today the person who at the dealer's service department, deals with immobilisers, contacted me and told me something that will fox all of us, if not all a great majority of us. I am sure I had heard this earlier, from some teambhpian.
Unbelievable but true, the person told me that the present day Xylos, Logans and Scorpios (no mention of Boleros?) are being fitted with a second generation immobiliser. The older generation had a common company code that would be changed and again and again changed, to suit the owner's choice of four digits. And these second generation ones are fed with a code from the company (from Scorpio Refresh onwards), that is not known and is memorised in the key head. No other key can start the engine. There is no need for changing codes, as each machine has a different code. That settles the issue now for me and for any other confused or hypnotised and confused (by dealers) buyers who feel immobiliser codes are too important.
Summarising, I have moved ahead from No Immobilisers to Second Generation Immobilisers - a giant leap in the murky, risky and dangerous world of automobile safety (only theft related) .

Secondly now, about the drives and pleasures of being behind the wheel of the brute SUV- Driving the machine has been a pleasing experience for me all through and I still vouch for the way I can drive around cocooning myself and all occupants from the road conditions and outside noises, with the glasses rolled up. The AC was on all through this time due to the 45 degrees Celsius or more all around. The m Hawk is very, very faithful to obey any command its given and never falters even when I hurriedly plan to overtake a fast moving sedan that I simply want to get ahead of. My little daughter when perched on the front seat repeatedly says that Santros, 800's, Altos and i 10's look like toys, from that commanding height of the Scorpio. I have more or less been able to gauge the speeds and RPM's that are desirable for each gear.
A drawback of this SUV is that the A pillar is too thick and the ORVM appended there on the door, creates a huge blind space. For the cause safety, I have to move around my head and eyes when something appears suspicious and is moving, beyond the fat and plump A pillar- its dangerous! Visibility towards the left is more or less OK despite the same appendages being there, but the right side has extra special appendages on the SUV which are too near you and can be dangerous.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th May 2009 at 22:54.
Old 28th May 2009, 06:45   #229
Senior - BHPian

Good find, Anjan! Looks like M&M has finally taken the cue from Maruti and gone in for the iCATs type of security system.
Is the 'car outline+padlock' icon there in the cluster and does it light up steady when you turn on the ignition? With the wrong key it will stay flashing and the car will not start. Worth getting a duplicate key made from some key-maker and trying this out. I did for my WagonR.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:29   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Why make a duplicate key? Just get another Scorpio key and insert it!
Old 28th May 2009, 13:27   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why make a duplicate key? Just get another Scorpio key and insert it!
Hey, Red, the duplicate is very handy to have. If you get it made on a flat blank (no plastic coated fob) it sits comfortably in your wallet coin pocket and saves you if you should ever lock yourself out!
Also very good to give to the car cleaner chappie every morning; he simply cannot start the car! My friend's Swift got badly bashed by one such cleaner who decided to 'learn' on this car surreptitiously!

Fantastic advantage at parking lots where they ask you to leave the key with the attendant!!
Old 28th May 2009, 13:37   #232
Senior - BHPian

just as any other key will not work with any one lock, it wont work for a scorpio too. It would need to be duplicated before you try out. Nice stuff to challenge, esp when a duplicate key can be made for something around 20-40 bucks.
Wondey why this 2nd generation immobilizer is not mentioned in brochures etc.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:14   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Good find, Anjan! Looks like M&M has finally taken the cue from Maruti and gone in for the iCATs type of security system.
Is the 'car outline+padlock' icon there in the cluster and does it light up steady when you turn on the ignition? With the wrong key it will stay flashing and the car will not start. Worth getting a duplicate key made from some key-maker and trying this out. I did for my WagonR.
Anup Yes, the car outline plus padlock LED lights up on the dash when the ignition is turned on and fades away after the mHawk grrrunt starts.
Its a good idea to make a duplicate key that can be used for everything else other than trying to start the SUV. Maybe the ICE will also turn on with this duplicate.
Thanks Venky and Tanwar will keep up the postings!
Old 28th May 2009, 20:41   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Maybe the ICE will also turn on with this duplicate.
It certainly will! Everything will get powered the way it should; the only difference being that the engine will not fire! Even the starter motor will crank.
Old 28th May 2009, 22:55   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats certainly interesting. So if I lose my key, atleast I can get into the car and listen to music :P aaah...the good old days of Jeeps and no doors...and not a care in the world.
Old 29th May 2009, 06:30   #236
Senior - BHPian

Thats an useful piece of info AM.

OT: Any idea anybody how do I fit an immobiliser in the Bolero. It already comes with Keyless Entry
Old 29th May 2009, 06:33   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...the good old days of Jeeps and no doors...and not a care in the world.
Key missing?
No problemo! My jeep have no doors!

Whoa, big problemo! Jeep missing la!

C'mon, Red, I'd rather have the doors!
Old 29th May 2009, 07:12   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Key missing?
No problemo! My jeep have no doors!

Whoa, big problemo! Jeep missing la!

C'mon, Red, I'd rather have the doors!
believe me a thief will not steal a jeep with doors after risking to wake up the whole neighbourhood as Cost to Benefit is negligible.

OT: I'm a big fan of Jeeps without doors
Old 29th May 2009, 20:29   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It certainly will! Everything will get powered the way it should; the only difference being that the engine will not fire! Even the starter motor will crank.
Anup you've thrown light for us on something less known.
Quote:
Thats certainly interesting. So if I lose my key, atleast I can get into the car and listen to music :P aaah...the good old days of Jeeps and no doors...and not a care in the world.
And make sure you have a pen drive to listen to music of your own liking. Ha Ha Ha! Or else maybe you will find Bong or Mallu songs there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Thats an useful piece of info AM.

OT: Any idea anybody how do I fit an immobiliser in the Bolero. It already comes with Keyless Entry
Please ask the M&M helpline and the dealer. This job cannot be trusted to anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
believe me a thief will not steal a jeep with doors after risking to wake up the whole neighbourhood as Cost to Benefit is negligible.

OT: I'm a big fan of Jeeps without doors
makes me giggle!
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:14   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Want to add some more review like matter for my brute SUV.
The muscular gym toned body- The black plastics of the bumpers and front grille (door ORVM's mirrors excluded) are showing signs of fading to dark grey tones from the original black. Luckily, the summer is bidding us bye, or else light grey and finally greyish white tones would have appeared only too soon. Guess body coloured bumper Scorp people don't have to worry about this gremlin like black bumper Scorp people! So its a final verdict that the quality of plastics are not even second, but third grade.The dash plastics too are covered under and sadly accorded this poor third grade.
I was also reading about the useless OE features in cars in an auto magazine and found the roof rails featured there. These may be good for the black cats and NSG's to grab and hold on to, but there must be a VIP enclosed within.Another useless feature is the rear rooftop spoiler. I am not sure how much it helps in the aerodynamics of this truck like SUV, but the only job it does very well, is that it contains a brake LED light thats mounted "highly",to be visible through truck cabins. Balle Balle!
I am happy to say that there's no body rattle from the SUV from anywhere till now. Its fit and unitary till now.
The spare wheel valve for routine air checking, as I pointed out is well camouflaged and only accessible if the stepney fastening nut (accessible from the rear compartment) is loosened to dismount the stepney. This can't be always done.Mahindra could have provided a rubber seal (like 100-150 cc bikes chains for oiling) that could be loosened and refitted to check air.
The running Now I am find that my brute SUV does anything above 45 kmph in the fifth gear.The manual says fifth gear and 50kmph should go hand in hand, but the figure is 45kmph for me. The mHawk is only too happy and does not groan.I have not opened the bonnet since May 11th but find everything is working with a clockwise precision. On 11th May I decided to open the bonnet to see what the mHawk really looked like and its surroundings but nothing more.
I am sure that with my kinda usage the SUV can't touch 5000 kms in the first four months. This is because I use my two other cars too. So the first service will be by mid August viz. 4 months. Thats perfect because it gets its wash,after a hopefully bountiful monsoon.
The Scorpio habit is spoiling me. I feel mighty from that great height and behind the wheel of the truck like thing, without the rear loaded.Again Balle! Balle! And then if I am behind the wheels of my Maruti 800, I feel insecure. The Landmaster in my garage is also too mighty, all steel and brute, but the Scorpio beats them all.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd June 2009 at 20:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks