Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2016, 21:28   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 1,70,000 kms, 98 months of ownership

Just a little update.

Eight year got completed without much hassle. However, the AC high speed fan had been acting up since last year. This time I took my car to World of Service (WoS), an independent garage run by a BHP-ian and Fiat owner. The entire AC, cooling system was overhauled. The alternator bearing was also replaced (both sets). Things are better now. Of course, the car has been running fine, just that an AC not functioning at its best, even if only for 10% of the time, can be pure torture in this weather.

Car completes 1,70,000 km this week. Let's see what comes up ahead.
architect is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 10:54   #482
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: New car coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I am not aware of what a cross rail is. Can you elaborate?
I am as knowledgeable as you are. I searched online but couldn't find relevant material. this is the best I could do.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/crossrail-...lio-stile.html
Old 20th October 2016, 18:01   #483
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: New car coming soon

Hi architect, Can you suggest me some reliable place in NCR where i can get EGR and manifold cleaning done for my Punto MJD.
Old 24th October 2016, 15:50   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Hi architect, Can you suggest me some reliable place in NCR where i can get EGR and manifold cleaning done for my Punto MJD.
Saurabh, you obviously have a choice of Authorised Service Centres. Besides that, you could try World of Service. He does EGR cleaning. Just Google World of Service Noida.
Old 24th October 2016, 16:18   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Saurabh, you obviously have a choice of Authorised Service Centres. Besides that, you could try World of Service. He does EGR cleaning. Just Google World of Service Noida.
Thank you. WOS is my regular service point. Somehow i found there prices for EGR cleaning a bit too steep.
Old 15th December 2016, 23:12   #486
Senior - BHPian

Well, the end of the ninth year approaches in 4 months and I will be finishing 1,80,000 km this week. What do I write now?

One thing, of course, is what to do with the car after the ninth year ends? NOC from RTO and sell to another person outside NCR or scrap? I really can't say as of now.

Then, of course, the question of a new car. I don't think I will find another car like this at this price point. There is something about 1990s engineering, manufacture and design that somehow doesn't come across from this century's stuff.

I want a car that is a little on the higher side with reasonable space and a decent engine. And an Automatic. And petrol (I am not taking risks with a car meant for ten years, going by regulations as of now). My knees are getting worse and I don't want to torture them any more than necessary. This is one physical issue with the Palio MJD's heavy clutch.

My shortlist, as of now, stands as:

1. Ecosport Petrol Automatic (Pros: safety kit, DCT, space, height, handling; Cons: fuel efficiency, reported DCT clutch issues)

2. Aspire Petrol Automatic (Pros: Price, Cons: same as above with boring ride and handling, too)

3. Jazz CVT (Pros: Fuel efficiency; Cons: power and price)

4. Baleno CVT: This is one is coming home in January for my sister. Will reserve judgement till I drive it a bit.

5. Dzire AT: Can't think of any major issues except that there are no airbags and I hate its looks and that AT will sap the otherwise fine 1.2 K series of power.

6. Polo / Ameo / Vento / Rapid 1.2 TSI DSG (I am not sure which comes with it and which doesn't): After 9 years with a Euro, I am not sure I want another one for ten years. My experience is that these cars are fantastic until something goes wrong. Then they are nightmares. Atleast Fiat nightmares are cheaper to wake up out of.

I quite like the Bolt / Zest otherwise but despite excellent low-end torque the petrol is kind of slow-ish, besides not having an AT in petrol.

I have 6-8 months to think before I decide. Let's see what happens.

Last edited by architect : 15th December 2016 at 23:18.
architect is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 12:48   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Then, of course, the question of a new car.

My shortlist, as of now, stands as:

1. Ecosport Petrol Automatic (Pros: safety kit, DCT, space, height, handling; Cons: fuel efficiency, reported DCT clutch issues)
My vote will be in favour of the Ecosport. I have driven the one (diesel) belonging to my brother-in-law quite a bit. Ergonomics is good. Steering, though not hydraulic, does not feel light on the highway. The car feels sturdily built even in comparison to Palio. Btw, is the petrol AT with ecoboost engine?
Old 19th December 2016, 01:10   #488
BHPian

Nice to see some old names on here. Architect, tortoiseNhare, Palio Stile owners/enthusiasts. Glad to see your MJD is still going strong!
ByDesign is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 14:28   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
My vote will be in favour of the Ecosport. I have driven the one (diesel) belonging to my brother-in-law quite a bit. Ergonomics is good. Steering, though not hydraulic, does not feel light on the highway. The car feels sturdily built even in comparison to Palio. Btw, is the petrol AT with ecoboost engine?
Vehicle quality and performance when new is one thing. Living with a vehicle for ten years is another thing altogether. Hence, decision is always difficult.
Old 4th January 2017, 17:55   #490
Senior - BHPian

Just adding a recent photo. Nothing else to update.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-round-12462.jpg  

architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 19:14   #491
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see a well maintained Palio. Keep us updated about your future upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Btw, is the petrol AT with ecoboost engine?
No, AT comes with 1.5L petrol engine.
Old 7th January 2017, 12:40   #492
BHPian

@Architect. Bumped across this thread after a long time. Very informative and very well written. Palio is a good car and i enjoyed 4 years on my Palio multijet. Now having owned a Maruti, i would say that it's an altogether different ball game. Peace of mind is there with the great service network. I still miss the palio and i always wanted a punto but settled for a swift.
Your thread makes me think about my recent decision to retain my current swift diesel for another 100K. It might cost a bomb but i too have similar financial constraints.
vikasb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 23:15   #493
Senior - BHPian

9 years will close within 10 days and odometer will cross 1,85,000 km. Car went on three trips this year, too, despite it being a very busy year for me due to other reasons. Two were regular runs to Jaipur and Alwar but one was the Kumaon run which does tend to give you an idea of how the car performs in all sorts of terrain. The synthetic oil has helped. Ever since I have moved to synthetic oil, car revvs better in the 2,000-3,000 RPM band.

For the ones who love figures, I am attaching the maintenance log.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Maintenance Log.xlsx (20.3 KB, 475 views)
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 15:29   #494
BHPian

quick question about a petrol Palio 1.3 am driving temporarily.

the fuel injector lamp has suddenly come up for the last couple of days. I read that it might be due to a pressure wash which affects the relay. Not too worried about that because it is running smoothly at around 120 kph without any complaints.

what's more worrying is, there's tremendous heat in the boot, near the stepney. Now the petrol tank is near the boot, and that kind of heat is very risky. What can possibly cause so much heat at the back of the car? Is it the exhaust? Or worse still, is it the rear axle?

Can anybody throw some light? It isn't my car, and I have a 400 km trip coming up on Sunday, so a little apprehensive about taking it out. Am worried about a possible fire/explosion, or the rear axle giving up.

There are, however, no weird noises at high speeds.
Old 12th May 2017, 18:02   #495
BHPian

Heat in the boot area is from the silencer. Looks like there's some miss - firing in the engine because of which the heat. Check with a mechanic ASAP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks