Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 17:36   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: Three Years and 65,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
i'm not quite sure about the screech. I haven't heard anything apart from the whizz around the vents when I turn the a/c on with the car at standstill. I only notice the jerk when the car is in motion.
The whizz sound you hear could be due to low level of a/c gas in the system. When was the last time the a/c system was cleaned? Cleaning of the condenser/general servicing with top up of a/c refrigerant might solve the issue.

The links below might help in finding a reliable mechanic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...care-pune.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...auto-pune.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...aner-pune.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ar-garage.html

More here.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 22:56   #362
Senior - BHPian

Well, n_aditya and great guns.

The car does give a very small sound and a jerk (a very small, almost imperceptible one) when I switch on the AC, particularly if I do it before engine has reached operating temperature. Normally I drive with windows open for first 1 km or so and then switch on AC. There is no screech.

I have been living with this slight jerk for the last 4 years and 84,000 km. The AC is otherwise cooling fine, so I don't see why I should be opening up anything. What I have learnt from dealing with TFASC is not to open up anything which is not problematic.

The whizz or hissing sound does come when the AC is switched on. I read somewhere on this forum that it is due to 'pressure equalisation' process in the AC gas pipes when you switch on. My knowledge of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics is rather poor, so again until the AC is cooling fine, I am not getting it checked.

The ASCs are also not in favour of opening up things which work fine. This is from Mr Sharma whom I trust to a certain extent with my car.

Also, four years were up on the 6th of April. I need to put up a 4-yr review now.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:28   #363
BHPian

Yes if it works, don't fix it. I'm wondering because for over three years, I've never felt any jerks or loss of power while switching the a/c on. This is just something that has developed recently and the jerk isnt small and imperceptible - it actually feels like suddenly slotted a lower gear ...well not really THAT extreme but certainly isnt imperceptible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Well, n_aditya and great guns.

The car does give a very small sound and a jerk (a very small, almost imperceptible one) when I switch on the AC, particularly if I do it before engine has reached operating temperature. Normally I drive with windows open for first 1 km or so and then switch on AC. There is no screech.

I have been living with this slight jerk for the last 4 years and 84,000 km. The AC is otherwise cooling fine, so I don't see why I should be opening up anything. What I have learnt from dealing with TFASC is not to open up anything which is not problematic.

The whizz or hissing sound does come when the AC is switched on. I read somewhere on this forum that it is due to 'pressure equalisation' process in the AC gas pipes when you switch on. My knowledge of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics is rather poor, so again until the AC is cooling fine, I am not getting it checked.

The ASCs are also not in favour of opening up things which work fine. This is from Mr Sharma whom I trust to a certain extent with my car.

Also, four years were up on the 6th of April. I need to put up a 4-yr review now.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:44   #364
BHPian

I just bought a mutijet yesterday. The car belonged to a neighbor. Its in excellent condition except for the typical hard clutch on the early multijet and very limited travel for clutch( ie although there is a long travel the clutch actually engages and disengages towards the end of travel). The service guy claimed the clutch is good for another 20-25K But I cant drive the car like that so I propose to change the clutch to the new system.

However when I approached Concorde the one in Cochin the SA said they are unaware of the new clutch system. They say that even after changing the clutch for their cars they still have the issue of clutch disengaging as soon as the pedal is released and there has been no improvement.

I am quite familiar with FIAT as I owned a Palio S10 for over two years and also do a bit of mods on cars. I have a mitsubishi DOHC conversion thread running on Team-BHP. I really need to know what to ask these guys. Has there been a notable difference with the new clutch?
Old 10th April 2012, 15:36   #365
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th April 2012 at 20:03.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th April 2012, 22:55   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwheels View Post
Its in excellent condition except for the typical hard clutch on the early multijet and very limited travel for clutch( ie although there is a long travel the clutch actually engages and disengages towards the end of travel). .....
..... Has there been a notable difference with the new clutch?
Hi wildwheels,

My car was the first batch of Palio Stile Multijets in NCR. The engine and gearbox were made in Poland. The clutch would engage in the last one centimetre of travel (and sometimes not fully even with my foot on the floor!). That it was hard was an understatement. It was super hard.

I managed for nearly 32,000 km and 19 months like that. Then I heard the clutch assembly was being replaced under standard warranty. My car was out of standard warranty in the 18th month itself. Still the ASC obliged (maybe pulled some strings!) and replaced my clutch under extended warranty free-of-cost. The original clutch was not worn out, only it was slightly different in design from the new one.

The new clutch also engages almost at the end, but earlier than the previous one. The biggest difference was that it was at least 2 X lighter. When the same was opened at 50,000 km, the wearing out was negligible. At 84,000 km currently, it seems good for more, but we'll know only when we open it next.
Old 11th April 2012, 07:41   #367
BHPian

Thank you. My clutch too seems to share the similar fate. I am used to the Palio shift in the S10. But in the MJ even with clutch full I am unable to shift at times. Since you have noticed the difference between the old and new could you post pictures of the old clutch vs the new one (Im hoping you have the old clutch around) This would help people like me as it looks like the FIAT here have no clue. So if you can post pics I can at least show them and ensure that its the new one that's going in to my car. Im sure other people also would benefit...
Old 11th April 2012, 10:13   #368
BHPian

Quote:
I managed for nearly 32,000 km and 19 months like that. Then I heard the clutch assembly was being replaced under standard warranty. My car was out of standard warranty in the 18th month itself. Still the ASC obliged (maybe pulled some strings!) and replaced my clutch under extended warranty free-of-cost. The original clutch was not worn out, only it was slightly different in design from the new one.

The new clutch also engages almost at the end, but earlier than the previous one. The biggest difference was that it was at least 2 X lighter. When the same was opened at 50,000 km, the wearing out was negligible. At 84,000 km currently, it seems good for more, but we'll know only when we open it next.
My car is October 2008 make and I'm not sure if the clutch is the same type as your original one. It is indeed hard and to change gears I have to literally floor the pedal but the gear shifting is quite smooth except for reverse gear. Of late, even with utmost care, I cannot prevent a typical cracking sound while shifting to the reverse gear when the car is on an incline. On a level surface this can be avoided with some care. Following the adage "don't fix it if it ain't broke" I didn't replace the clutch. I am at 56,000 km now and the clutch has never been opened. Since my daily routine helps me avoid stop-go traffic I can live with the hardness.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:44   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwheels View Post
So if you can post pics I can at least show them and ensure that its the new one that's going in to my car. Im sure other people also would benefit...
I don't have photographs because the old clutch was sent back to the company. In case of any replacement under warranty, the old part goes back to the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
My car is October 2008 make and I'm not sure if the clutch is the same type as your original one. It is indeed hard and to change gears I have to literally floor the pedal but the gear shifting is quite smooth except for reverse gear. Of late, even with utmost care, I cannot prevent a typical cracking sound while shifting to the reverse gear when the car is on an incline.
If I remember correctly, the clutch in 2009 cars was lighter. Gear shifting was not much of a problem even with the older one, hardness was. For reverse, the trick is that you depress clutch, pull the reverse lock knob and wait for a second or two before engaging. Then those sounds don't come.

I am sorry for being lazy but I hope to upload that review today.
Old 11th April 2012, 20:05   #370
BHPian

Are the partnos for what was replaced there in your bill. That would help. We could compare that with the old part nos....If its a new part its highly unlikely the spares catalogue has it. Which is what they use to order. Is there anyone from FIAT whom we can get this info from?
Old 11th April 2012, 22:29   #371
BHPian

I have asked this question earlier (don't remember which thread) but didn't get response, so I am posting it again.

Since both Palio stile and Punto (75hp) share the same engine can punto's clutch assembly be used for palio?. I know nothing about the tech issues so asking the question.
Old 11th April 2012, 23:47   #372
Senior - BHPian

The engines are the same, except for the tuning, ECU and perhaps the filters (since Punto uses factory-filled synthetic oil). The gearboxes could be different since they could have different gear ratios. I haven't driven the Punto so I can't say. I will have to ask Mr Sharma at Him Motors.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 14:40   #373
BHPian

Quote:
The engines are the same, except for the tuning, ECU and perhaps the filters (since Punto uses factory-filled synthetic oil). The gearboxes could be different since they could have different gear ratios. I haven't driven the Punto so I can't say. I will have to ask Mr Sharma at Him Motors.
I have test driven punto only once and didn't feel the clutch as hard as palio's, hence I was thinking in that direction. May be one has to change gear box also.
Old 12th April 2012, 14:46   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I have test driven punto only once and didn't feel the clutch as hard as palio's, hence I was thinking in that direction. May be one has to change gear box also.
The clutch linkage mechanism would definitely be different. Last year, Fiat came up with a 'improved' design of clutch linkage (complete kit) and was offered upgrade (under warranty) to all Palio MJD owners who complained about hard clutch. But the smoothness was short lived, according to those who upgraded.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:31   #375
BHPian

Quote:
I have recently purchased a Punto Multijet for my BIL with the help of Anupam Shukla. Architect knows him well. Also, have been using the Palio multijet since Oct 2008. The clutch on the Punto is miles ahead of the Palio and Anupam too who has both the cars agrees with me. In-fact the clutch on the Punto is even softer than my dad's Fiesta 1.6 Petrol. The only thing that feels a little awkward is the long clutch travel.

Have already checked with Gowri Automobiles in Blr about installing the Punto clutch on the Palio but, it was a thumps down by Venkatesh. Blr puggers and Team Bhp members know that he is one the few mechanics who have mastered the art of servicing and repairing the Palio's very well and therefore, if says no, I don't think it is a good idea to try it. Unfortunately he was not able to explain the technical reason behind it.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks