Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 17:12   #226
Senior - BHPian

The AC cooling fan does make a lot of noise and kick up quite a bit of dust, but it comes on only when you use the AC.
Old 14th October 2010, 18:33   #227
Senior - BHPian

OK, a new one just cropped up!

The 52,500 km service was planned to be a routine job. However, the night before I hit the brakes at a speed of 120 kph to slow down to 80 kph and boy, what vibrations on the brake pedal! It's time to get the brake discs machined on a lathe.

The problem is I have rarely braked at those speeds, so maybe this problem's been around for a long time. I don't think Fiat is going to give me new discs in Extended Warranty.

Elegant has given me two options. Either leave the car for a full day so that the dics can be removed and sent to the lathe for machining (from FIE Patparganj to Karol Bagh) or replace my discs with machined discs from another car kept ready. The latter is obviously a no-no from my side.

Third option is to take it one of the numerous non-authorised guys. Planning to go to one recommended by Suman in Gurgaon.

52,500 km was a routine affair. The bad news is that cost of fuel filter has gone up from 1100-odd with tax to 1700-odd with tax.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:29   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The AC cooling fan does make a lot of noise and kick up quite a bit of dust, but it comes on only when you use the AC.
I noticed this some time back in a Friend's Palio MJD. The fan is so strong that it blows all the dust below the car to create a tornado like effect, strong enough to annoy the bystanders.

The Palio belongs to the Siena family. The first Siena that came to India(Yes the one which resembled a fish and had Turbocharged diesel) has overheating issues due to weak radiator fan, Fiat did a permanent fix by installing this fan.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:49   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Palio belongs to the Siena family. The first Siena that came to India(Yes the one which resembled a fish and had Turbocharged diesel) has overheating issues due to weak radiator fan, Fiat did a permanent fix by installing this fan.
Except when I climbed from Bir to Billing Top (some 600 - 700 metres) over 14 km without AC, I have never seen the temperature needle go anywhere close to half mark. Once the 'tornado' fan starts up on switching on the AC, the temperature settles down to quarter mark.

Let's hope disc machining happens fast and easy at Gurgaon tomorrow.
Old 14th October 2010, 23:58   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let's hope disc machining happens fast and easy at Gurgaon tomorrow.
Please update the thread after the machining job. I have started feeling the brake Judder in my Elantra at triple digit speeds, i may also go in for a disc skimming job this week. Suman just got this job done in his Fiesta, his ownership thread might give you some good tips.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:42   #231
BHPian

Where can one locate the vin number on a multijet . Is it embosed somewhere on the body frame.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:52   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Please update the thread after the machining job. I have started feeling the brake Judder in my Elantra at triple digit speeds, i may also go in for a disc skimming job this week. Suman just got this job done in his Fiesta, his ownership thread might give you some good tips.
Disc machining was done at the same place as Suman's Fiesta: Rakesh Automobile, near Atul Kataria Chowk. The guys there seem to be good and the actual lathe is in Sector 12, Ggn. Vella that I am, I took a ride on the mechanic's scooter to drop and get the discs back.

The braking is much smoother and progressive now. The downside is that the brakes need to be pressed a little more for the same amount of braking effect, because the discs have become thinner. Maybe, the pads will have to be replaced soon (they have done 30,000 km and the disc is thinner too). I was carrying disc pads from Kashmiri Gate (for 500 bucks), but I was advised that they were not needed.

I finished the day with wheel alignment at Star Wheels which is practically next door to Rakesh Automobiles.

Thanks, Sumanda and GD sir.
Old 16th October 2010, 12:58   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Where can one locate the vin number on a multijet . Is it embosed somewhere on the body frame.
Open the Bonnet. The label is fixed to the body, just above the front grille, where the lever for opening the bonnet is located.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:59   #234
BHPian

@architect

I have noticed the insides of a couple of my tyres having more tread wear than the outside. I have been regularly undergoing wheel alignment at an interval of about 7000-8000 km. Is it time to get the tyres fitted inside out? How do I know if I also have the "camber out" problem that you had faced?

PS. The much maligned GY-GPS2s have held firm without a single puncture till now, touchwood!
Old 1st November 2010, 11:50   #235
Senior - BHPian

It is the camber issue most likely. Get it checked from a good independent tyre shop, but don't jump to the solution provided by him. If you've managed so far, you can manage for some more time.
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:13   #236
BHPian

Architect ,where can one locate the engine number on the multijet.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:13   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Architect ,where can one locate the engine number on the multijet.
Same plate has the engine number.

Quote:
Open the Bonnet. The label is fixed to the body, just above the front grille, where the lever for opening the bonnet is located.
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:56   #238
BHPian

Quote:
My Palio MJD was making a racket in recent days. Then three days back the AC conked out. Took the car to Concorde, Hyderabad, and the problem was diagnosed to be the AC condenser giving way. Extended warranty came to the rescue. However, the part was not in stock. Now that the Deepavali is falling in between, I believe, the part will be available only in the next week. I took the car back and asked them to inform me when the part is ready.

A couple of things that I observed after the AC stopped working: the loud noise made by the fan completely stopped. Secondly, the temperature needle which always used to hover around the quarter mark, even after driving 6 hours non-stop, easily climbs to the half-way mark in the start-stop city traffic.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:44   #239
BHPian

Guys,

Has anyone got Bosch wiper blades for Palio Stile?
Bosch set for Palio is only available in 24" & 16". But actually my SDX's stock wipers are 24" & 18".
I have checked with Prasad trading and Vikas, JC road. But no luck. Vikas suggests me to go for Hella which can be bought in single units.
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:00   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Guys,

Has anyone got Bosch wiper blades for Palio Stile?
Bosch set for Palio is only available in 24" & 16". But actually my SDX's stock wipers are 24" & 18".
I have checked with Prasad trading and Vikas, JC road. But no luck. Vikas suggests me to go for Hella which can be bought in single units.

I was able to get single unit Bosch at Bosch Car Service.

I got aerotwin for driver side and normal for passenger side. aerotwin is quite expensive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks