Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 15:08   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Cost of diesel filter (fuel filter) is Rs 930/- plus taxes, I got it changed at 15,000 and 30,000 km.
I was told yesterday by the Fiat man at the other TASS (Ghosh Brothers) here in Guwahati that the cost of the whole diesel filter assembly is indeed close to Rs. 3,000 and that the filtering element within the assembly could be changed for Rs. 930. In my case the whole assembly was changed.

I experimented with that part (older one) today to find the filtering element but failed to open it.
Old 28th May 2010, 00:11   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
I was told yesterday by the Fiat man at the other TASS (Ghosh Brothers) here in Guwahati that the cost of the whole diesel filter assembly is indeed close to Rs. 3,000 and that the filtering element within the assembly could be changed for Rs. 930. In my case the whole assembly was changed.

I experimented with that part (older one) today to find the filtering element but failed to open it.
There is something funny here. You're supposed to replace the filter element (its made by UFI) not the whole assembly. The assembly is not even removed from its place. There is a nut at the bottom of the assembly to open the body and change the element.

I am travelling over the next few days but will try to take a few pictures for you. There's something seriously wrong with your TFASS. Or they are just cheating you.
Old 28th May 2010, 22:54   #183
BHPian

Quote:
My brother-in-law (currently driving a 10 year old Matiz) likes my Palio. He is delaying the purchase of a new sedan until his newly booked flat in a less congested area in the city is ready. As a stopgap arrangement he wanted to buy the Palio MJD on display in Abhishek Motors for over six months. Not many would touch that car by a bargepole now, he knew. So he literally forced me to ring up the owner of Abhishek Motors for negotiating the discount. He was offered Rs. 40,000 off on the list price of about 4,79,000 on that SDE model. Thankfully, Figo has been launched and his attention is diverted!
No, his attention could not be permanently diverted. Today, after I relayed the information of the stock clearance offer from PUG, he went to Ghosh Brothers and wrote a check of Rs. 3,09,xxx for a 2008 model Ozone Blue Multijet SDE in stock with the dealer.

Quote:
There is something funny here. You're supposed to replace the filter element (its made by UFI) not the whole assembly. The assembly is not even removed from its place. There is a nut at the bottom of the assembly to open the body and change the element.

I am travelling over the next few days but will try to take a few pictures for you. There's something seriously wrong with your TFASS. Or they are just cheating you.
I'll wait for the photos. In the mean time I'll take snaps of the thing that is with me which I now presume is just the filtering element and is not the whole assembly.
Old 29th May 2010, 10:07   #184
BHPian

Diesel filter photos

I am uploading the pictures of the diesel filter (assembly or element?) along with the invoice indicating the price charged for the replacement.

Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-p1.jpg

Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-p2.jpg

I tried to open this ring which can be supposedly unscrewed with a torque of 30Nm. I found it impossible with my bare hands.

Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-p3.jpg

Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-p4.jpg
Old 31st May 2010, 21:51   #185
BHPian

Quote:
I am uploading the pictures of the diesel filter (assembly or element?) along with the invoice indicating the price charged for the replacement.

Attachment 357472

Attachment 357473

I tried to open this ring which can be supposedly unscrewed with a torque of 30Nm. I found it impossible with my bare hands.

Attachment 357474

Attachment 357475
Do I see 3.2 L of engine oil on the invoice? What is the correct quantity for Multijet.

Cheers

Last edited by jagan0677 : 31st May 2010 at 21:52.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:59   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
Do I see 3.2 L of engine oil on the invoice? What is the correct quantity for Multijet.

Cheers
3.2 L is the correct quantity according to the User Manual.

Quote:
I am uploading the pictures of the diesel filter (assembly or element?)
According to my brother-in-law (an Indian Oil Corp. senior) it is the fuel filter assembly.
Old 7th June 2010, 22:13   #187
Team-BHP Support

2800 ? Thats expensive compared to the Swift which is ~ 1100.

How often is the change required ?
Old 7th June 2010, 22:39   #188
Senior - BHPian

Eddy and TnH:

The pictures are of the diesel filter assembly. That could be for Rs 2800/-. You're supposed to replace only the element by opening the white screw and the element cost Rs 930/- plus taxes.
Old 7th June 2010, 23:43   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Eddy and TnH:

The pictures are of the diesel filter assembly. That could be for Rs 2800/-. You're supposed to replace only the element by opening the white screw and the element cost Rs 930/- plus taxes.
I cannot mentally figure out how unscrewing that small screw would open the assembly. I'll try a DIY and see for myself tomorrow, time permitting.
Old 7th June 2010, 23:49   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cannot mentally figure out how unscrewing that small screw would open the assembly. I'll try a DIY and see for myself tomorrow, time permitting.
Correction, TnH: It's not the small white screw (that's for something else, I think for either releasing the mechanism from its mount or for releasing diesel). The top head of the filter opens. It's been a long time since mine was changed (and it will be changed again this weekend at the 45,000 km service). Why don't you wait till then?
Old 8th June 2010, 10:16   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Correction, TnH: It's not the small white screw (that's for something else, I think for either releasing the mechanism from its mount or for releasing diesel). The top head of the filter opens. It's been a long time since mine was changed (and it will be changed again this weekend at the 45,000 km service). Why don't you wait till then?
I'll wait then. Please see/ask if something called torque wrench is needed to open it.
Old 19th June 2010, 08:54   #192
BHPian

architect, where have you disappeared? 45K service got done?
Old 19th June 2010, 12:27   #193
Senior - BHPian

45,000 km service done!

45,000 km scheduled service was done last Sunday.

A simple design flaw cost me my shocker mounting. Let me explain how: The windscreen washer tank is located at a tilt and any effort to pour in water into it from a 5 litre distilled water gallon (which I do) results in water collecting on the depression in the exposed part of the shocker mounting. Over time, water collecting in this rubber part led to a play in the shocker mounting. Had to get it replaced.

Damage: Rs 750/- odd plus tax plus labour.

Lesson learnt: Don't let water collect anywhere in the engine bay rubber parts.

The camber on the LF wheel (caused by driving into an open manhole) is still out by a few minutes beyond acceptable. It's a long explanation but I am not doing any jugaad and living with it. The uneven tyre wear is now noticeable so I am going to invert the tyres (re-mount them inside-out) now.

The wiper motor timer was behaving erratically, speeding up the wipers for no rhyme or reason and stopping mid-way at times when switched off instead of coming down and stopping. Applied for replacement under extended warranty. It has been approved so another trip is due for replacing the wiper motor. So now the list of replacements (under warranty) is as follows:

a. combination switch (entirely avoidable, courtesy Vivek Automobiles).
b. boot lock U-clamp (the part on the bumper, which was rattling).
c. clutch plates, release bearings, clutch kit (hadn't worn out at all, but there was an issue with disengagement even with the pedal fully depressed. Most likely a design issue. New clutch is much softer, too).
d. Wiper Motor (timer behaving erratically).

Other services carried out normally. Coolant replaced (once a year). Dry-cleaning (expensive stuff at Rs 650/- plus tax). Front bumper has scratches but repainting deferred.

Oh Yes, last month I put sun-film for Rs 4,800/-. 3M (50% VLT on the sides, 70% VLT on the back) and transparent UV block film on the front. Now the car is not a furnace parked in the sun. Installation is not upto the mark, but i got big discounts on the stuff so I am willing to live with some imperfections. I was desperate because of the heat.

The Yoko A-drives have done 25,000 km now (swapped with OE at 21,000 km). But it seems they'll be good for only another 15,000-18,000 km (judging by tyre wear so far, camber issues notwithstanding). Being softer tyres, they probably wear out faster. However, they are great for comfort as well as grip, and wonderful on long drives.

Speaking of long drives, there is one slated for this weekend to Hrishikesh. Nothing very adventurous, because I'll have two ladies and an 18-month old in the car this time. Just 500 km of fighting Western-U.P. traffic.
Old 19th June 2010, 12:33   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll wait then. Please see/ask if something called torque wrench is needed to open it.
The top part of the filter assembly is actually a large cap which can be opened by pushing a screwdriver gently against the ridges. Once the cap opens, the fuel filter element (which is a white-coloured cylindrical filter, similar to an oil filter, but has no fins but a white paper-like material) can be replaced with a new one.

Try it yourself on the sample that you have with you.

Bottomline is that it is a Rs 930/- plus tax part not a Rs 4,000/- plus tax part. The whole assembly need not be replaced. Either the dealer doesn't know (is he doing the same for the Vistas and Manzas?) or he is cheating.

A call to your SA and then a mail to Fiat India is due!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-p3-1.jpg  

Last edited by architect : 19th June 2010 at 12:43.
Old 20th June 2010, 07:12   #195
BHPian

Quote:
The whole assembly need not be replaced. Either the dealer doesn't know (is he doing the same for the Vistas and Manzas?) or he is cheating.
If you see the man Mr. Das, spares in-charge of Abhishek Motors, you'll know that he does not know. To order the replacement of the hose pipe required for fixing the AC of my car he had to take its photograph, mail it to someone and then get the part number. I may be of some help to him if you can send the part number of the fuel filter (element).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks