Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 13:27   #301
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: Three Years and 65,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
Any more info on the seized MJD engine - causes, symptoms, costs..?

Cheers,
Jagan.
architect has already answered your question and the engine in question was abused exactly as he has explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Most opened up multijet engines are due to injector and other issues caused by bad fuel, missing service intervals, and revving cold engines unnecessarily. This is the reason I hate these new cars without temperature gauges. Also, a lot of blown turbos (revving cold engines again, not idling turbo before shut down and so on). This is the feedback I have had from the mechanics. But they've also assured that all properly maintained multijet engines are running as good as new even after 80,000 km.
Quote:
Oh BTW, my AC drainage and rainwater drainage issues have been resolved by me myself. The drainage pipe for AC condensate got blocked. (the pipe, not the drain on the floor). I solved it by blowing air (from my tyre inflator pump) back into the pipe from below. The mess cleared and internal flooding stopped. The rainwater drainage point is on the firewall below the the ECU on the engine side. It's a downward sloped plastic bend. Just clean it manually. The third point is the hole on the AC floor itself. For that, you need to clean it with anything long and thin.
Thanks a lot. This time I have diagnosed this as rainwater drainage problem rather than AC drainage. I'll try your method soon.
Old 24th August 2011, 17:23   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, it was you yesterday (monday morning) in Silver Swift LDi. The 'gentleman' driving was me (do I look that old? ). I had to drop my parents to the Shatabdi at New Delhi station. I saw the TBHP sticker at the back but you moved off too fast.

Yup, It was me in the Silver Swift LDi.
Actually I only glanced at your car from a distance after I saw the TBHP sticker , was anxious about reaching my destination on time.
Haha,Dont worry you don't look old!

Quote:
The entire team @ Elegant Cars has moved to another TASC.
The service is due on the 2nd of Sept, will make a booking prior to that to the TASC to which they've moved to provided its not too far.Otherwise Rama it is.

Quote:
from my tyre inflator pump
Was on the lookout for one these! Any pointers?

Cheers

GT

Last edited by GT500 : 24th August 2011 at 17:32.
Old 24th August 2011, 23:21   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Thanks a lot. This time I have diagnosed this as rainwater drainage problem rather than AC drainage. I'll try your method soon.
I cannot explain it very well in the written word. You have my number, just call me if you can't locate that drainage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
The service is due on the 2nd of Sept, will make a booking prior to that to the TASC to which they've moved to provided its not too far.Otherwise Rama it is.
. Rama had closed down (temporarily) from what I heard last. Anyway, I hope to have news for you before 2nd sept.

Quote:
Was on the lookout for one these! Any pointers?
I picked this one up from a tyre shop in Gurgaon for Rs 1000/-. It's Chinese and the shopkeeper clearly said NO GUARANTEE whatsoever. However, it's working fine. I would, also, recommend, one through ebay.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:53   #304
BHPian

I picked this one up from a tyre shop in Gurgaon for Rs 1000/-. It's Chinese and the shopkeeper clearly said NO GUARANTEE whatsoever. However, it's working fine. I would, also, recommend, one through ebay.[/quote]

Let me know in case you are inclined to buy a pump- there is a shop of a known person's he get's things imported from Dubai with very good quality- I remember I paid close to 1300 for a automatic pump.

PM me in case you require his number & details.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam
Old 25th August 2011, 11:36   #305
Senior - BHPian

OK, here's the update:

Some staff from Elegant Cars has joined Him Motors, FIE, Patparganj. Apparently, Mr Sharma will be joining them on 01 Sep, but I have not spoken to him personally yet.

Him Motors was earlier servicing Fiats only at the Peeragarhi Centre. Now, there will be a new team for Fiats under Sharmaji at the Patparganj centre too.

In a way, this has been a good move. Him is one of the largest dealers (after Dhingra, I guess) in NCR in terms of volume. They deserved a good Fiat service team. Sharmaji's team deserved a more solvent and committed ASC management / owner. Let's hope things only improve from now.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 21:42   #306
BHPian

Quote:
I cannot explain it very well in the written word. You have my number, just call me if you can't locate that drainage.
The mechanic who used to take care of my old (now sold) m800 spotted a gaping hole just to the left of the windshield washer container inlet, through which rainwater coming down from the roof would gush in and seep into the left side floor. I am not sure what the use of the hole was but I suspect there had been a rubber plug there which some TASS expert got rid of. The m800 guy put a piece of rubber in the hole and got it sealed with sealant paste. The plastic cover between the bonnet and the windshield (air circulation vents?) was opened/cleaned for the first ever time. I was amazed to see the amount of dirt/debris there.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 25th August 2011 at 21:45. Reason: addition
Old 14th September 2011, 14:53   #307
Senior - BHPian

Suspension Issues

I have been wondering if 72,000 km is time for any suspension parts replacements.

At around 50,000 km, the left front shock absorber mounting was replaced for play in it.

For the last month or so, the occasional thud from the front suspension has grown into a rumble, accompanied by even louder thuds. Thanks to the general upheaval in Elegant Cars and the general bad state of roads in Delhi NCR, I was hoping the loud noises were psychological and not urgent. Today, I finally took the car to Him Motors (where the Elegant Cars team has shifted) and it was confirmed that the lower arm (right side) was to be replaced. Even the shocker mounting had minor play in it and would probably require replacement.

It seems the terrible state of roads has taken toll on the cars and three lower arms in stock have been used over the past week. So, typically, no spares. The order has been placed and it should be there in about a week or two.

Knowing my networking habits, Sharmaji has categorically asked me not to scout around for the lower arm from the local market . According to him, the local market has lots of Palio lower arms made in China / Taiwan / local make which are for Rs 1,500/- or so instead of Rs 4,000-odd for the Fiat Genuine Spare. He has asked me not to use them as their quality could be suspect.

After losing the first lower arm in 72,000 km and the other one still going around, I would rather stick to the original ones! The only problem is driving around with the problematic (which has been adjusted by tightening the ball joint temporarily).
Old 14th September 2011, 15:11   #308
BHPian

Re: Suspension Issues

Quote:
IAccording to him, the local market has lots of Palio lower arms made in China / Taiwan / local make which are for Rs 1,500/- or so instead of Rs 4,000-odd for the Fiat Genuine Spare. He has asked me not to use them as their quality could be suspect.

After losing the first lower arm in 72,000 km and the other one still going around, I would rather stick to the original ones! The only problem is driving around with the problematic (which has been adjusted by tightening the ball joint temporarily).
Righest decision and I learnt it hard way. I installed after market brake pads and discs on my palio which the mechanic said it will take 100 kms for break in. 1000 kms on my brakes were still awful.
Gave car for service in TASS, got genuine Fiat pads and voila!. brakes even in break-in performed better than previous. Now after 300 kms the brakes are amazing.
Old 14th September 2011, 22:49   #309
Senior - BHPian

Well, my first incident of minor theft at a Service Centre.

I had left the car for inspection at Him Motors as described in my previous post. 2 km after taking delivery, I noticed the cleaning cloth (orange one) had disappeared.

Later at night, I realised the lever for rotating the jack had also disappeared. It was not provided by Fiat. I had bought it especially and kept it bundled with my tool-kit. I am upset.

This had never happened at Elegant. The staff from Elegant who now works at Him Motors have not done it (they had ample opportunity for three years). It is one of the original staff from Him Motors (who were involved only in cleaning the car).

It is also possible that they (mistakenly) assumed it to be a tool belonging to the Service Centre, since it is not part of the standard tool kit.

I am upset, nevertheless, not for the loss of Rs 100/- or the trouble but for what else may get pilfered, stolen.

Last edited by architect : 14th September 2011 at 22:52.
Old 14th September 2011, 23:44   #310
Senior - BHPian

But otherwise, the rest of it was a very "Elegant" experience, na? Recommended overall, no?
Old 15th September 2011, 00:12   #311
BHPian

How was the experience at HIM? Importantly did they allowed you to be around when the job was done or were you directed to customer lounge?

Last edited by Bubby : 15th September 2011 at 00:15.
Old 15th September 2011, 01:01   #312
BHPian

Quote:
(they had ample opportunity for three years). It is one of the original staff from Him Motors (who were involved only in cleaning the car).

It is also possible that they (mistakenly) assumed it to be a tool belonging to the Service Centre, since it is not part of the standard tool kit.
A similar incident happened with me. The jack of car was left at Elegant and while coming back for an issue the next day it was promptly returned.

It's good to see that the team has a new place. I did not follow this thread and had to go to RAMA.

They as usual ripped us off with a third "free" service bill for the car @ 6.5 K
Apparently they have charged 400 for "lubricating the car " and 300 for "cleaning the brake pads" .

Still pissed @ Fiat's A** , they need a seperate service centre for FIAT's.

TATA workshops are fit for servicing trucks only.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:28   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But otherwise, the rest of it was a very "Elegant" experience, na? Recommended overall, no?
I guess so. The Elegant people are operating on a separate floor for Fiat and only the washing / wheel alignment is shared (now I know where the jack lever was filched). But, I suppose, the parts and labour bills are not rounded off and finalised by a figure "Mr Sharma" writes in bold letters on top of the job card. That was the practice at Elegant.

Washing and cleaning was totally sub-par as compared to the previous outlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
How was the experience at HIM? Importantly did they allowed you to be around when the job was done or were you directed to customer lounge?
The Fiat floor is the first floor while Tatas are in the basement. I left the car in the morning and went to office and picked it up in the evening. I suppose you CAN go indoors if you walk in with Raju / Sharmaji / Rafiq.

Quote:
A similar incident happened with me. The jack of car was left at Elegant and while coming back for an issue the next day it was promptly returned.
My people are on the job trying to locate the stolen jack lever, but no hopes. Let the Pune guys call me for ratings now.

Quote:
Still pissed @ Fiat's A** , they need a seperate service centre for FIAT's.
TATA workshops are fit for servicing trucks only.
All in all, my work was done (partially) as the lower arm has been 'adjusted' so as to manage till the genuine (read Brazilian / Italian) part arrives. The noise has reduced 80% even without replacement.

The technical part was still as good as earlier. But the overall experience was typically that of moving to a truck / taxi ASC from a car ASC. The unmistakable feel of a Tata Service Centre. I am hopeful of things improving as more Fiats make their way to the first floor.

Oh, and I also lost my sixth right side ORVM mirror yesterday. Thank god for Rs 90/- mirrors from Sec 16 Noida!
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 11:39   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, and I also lost my sixth right side ORVM mirror yesterday. Thank god for Rs 90/- mirrors from Sec 16 Noida!
Only the glass gets broken and is replaced for Rs. 90 or the whole ORVM assembly?
Old 16th September 2011, 16:38   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Only the glass gets broken and is replaced for Rs. 90 or the whole ORVM assembly?
Only the glass, not the assembly. Also, the glass available is retro Palio (pure rectangle) not the Stile version. There is a minor mismatch in size but I don't bother. At the TASC, the mirror itself is Rs 600/-.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks