Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 23:53   #196
Senior - BHPian

One visit is due to Samyak for changing my wiper motors since its approved under EW. I shall get the part number. Alternatively, let me just check if its there in the service bill. I think it should be there.

But are you telling me that they have changed full filter assembly for every Vista, Manza, Linea, GP, Palio, Indica / Indigo / Safari Dicor in Guwahati instead of changing the element? What a rip-off, man!
Old 21st June 2010, 09:21   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
One visit is due to Samyak for changing my wiper motors since its approved under EW. I shall get the part number. Alternatively, let me just check if its there in the service bill. I think it should be there.

But are you telling me that they have changed full filter assembly for every Vista, Manza, Linea, GP, Palio, Indica / Indigo / Safari Dicor in Guwahati instead of changing the element? What a rip-off, man!
When I went for the one year/10000kms service for my Vista Quadrejet, the SA told that Tata Motors has informed to change fuel filter at 10K instead of the 20K mentioned in the manual and next time it need be changed only at 30K kms and asked for permission to do it. I agreed and the cost was Rs.1692.34 + 12.5% VAT. But just now when I checked the invoice, I was shocked to see that the changed part was "Fuel Filter without water level sensor assembly".
Old 21st June 2010, 11:46   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Or, it may be like, except in my car they have never changed them at all! The truth is that in my 15 K free service they had simply entered fuel filter changed free of charge in the bill when in fact they did not even have stock of oil and air filter, let alone fuel filter. I had documented the story here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1543907-post11.html
Old 14th July 2010, 19:11   #199
BHPian

Best palio long term report ever. If I do get the 1.3 SDE, it's because of Architect.

Mr. Architect, does the 1.3 come with tubeless tires stock?

Last edited by ByDesign : 14th July 2010 at 19:18.
Old 14th July 2010, 20:50   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Best palio long term report ever. If I do get the 1.3 SDE, it's because of Architect.

Mr. Architect, does the 1.3 come with tubeless tires stock?
You mean, you had booked one during the so called Dhamaka Offer?

The 1.3 is shod with 165x80 13'' tubeless Goodyear GPS2 tyres.
Old 14th July 2010, 21:53   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
You mean, you had booked one during the so called Dhamaka Offer?

The 1.3 is shod with 165x80 13'' tubeless Goodyear GPS2 tyres.
No, I'm going to book my car soon, it's a tough choice between the Punto 1.2 active, the indica vista safire 2nd anniversary edition, and the palio 1.3 MJD. Check out my thread in the hatchback section.
Old 15th July 2010, 07:14   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
No, I'm going to book my car soon, it's a tough choice between the Punto 1.2 active, the indica vista safire 2nd anniversary edition, and the palio 1.3 MJD. Check out my thread in the hatchback section.
There is no BS4 Palio in production and you cannot register a BS3 vehicle in Delhi.
Old 15th July 2010, 10:03   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
There is no BS4 Palio in production and you cannot register a BS3 vehicle in Delhi.
Thats ok, the showroom guy said he'd sort it out. If I get the car i.e.
Old 17th July 2010, 17:25   #204
Senior - BHPian

ByDesign

check your PM inbox
Old 7th September 2010, 00:41   #205
Senior - BHPian

50,000 km: 2 years, 5 months.

50,600 km: this was the odometer reading as I closed for the day, precisely 2 years and 5 months from the date of delivery. Hoping for the best, but somewhat prepared for the A. S. S. horrors, I have managed so far quite well. There have been issues—the quality levels are obviously not stellar. As a package, the vehicle still delights me for some of its endearing qualities. I like the 'dated' interiors or the old-school shape. The high-speed ride and handling (for a 5-lakh rupee hatchback), lovely steering and general ergonomic comfort are just great. The engine is still a delight and has fantastic cruising abilities once you let it stretch its legs. The vehicle has not aged so much, but while the 50,000 km mark has been quite fast in coming, chronologically it's not so old.

50,000 km happenned about 10 days ago. There were some problems (bearing noise from radiator water pump and water drainage) and I was waiting for their closure before I could write this review.

Here's a brief gist of the issues so far:
  1. Combination Switch, replaced (needlessly) by Vivek Automobiles: FOC (warranty)
  2. Boot lock clamp replaced by Elegant Cars (erstwhile Samyak): FOC (warranty)
  3. Clutch kit replaced by Elegant Cars: FOC, but labout was paid (extended warranty)
  4. Wiper Motor replaced for inconsistent timing by Elegant Cars: FOC (extended warranty)
  5. Radiator Water Pump replaced for bearing noise by Elegant Cars: FOC (extended warranty)
  6. Battery holder Bracket (not the base) replaced (paid)
  7. Shock absorber mounting replaced (due to collection of water and rusting) (paid)
  8. 2 headlamp bulbs and 2 tail-lamp bulbs.
  9. Some drainage issues and water-logging due to blockage of drain route by tiny gulmohar leaves (DDA flat parking issues). This year has seen unprecendented rains and water-loggin in Delhi and every ASC is seeing many cars with water logging complaints.
One set of disc pads were replaced at 22,000 km. The second set is still going good. Coolant has been changed once a year and once extra (with the radiator water pump change). The car had an accident (got hit by a Vikram) and the denting – painting cost me Rs 6000/- (out of A. S. S.). Thanks to numerous scratches from Delhi traffic, had to get both bumpers repainted once. That cost me another 6000/- or so. There were issues with the camber after I drove into an open manhole (under a foot of water) and it has finally been fixed with 'jugaad' when I bought the Michelins which can't be inverted (which is how I managed with the Yokohamas facing assymetrical wear).

The tyres are another story. I switched from OE tyres to Yokohama A-drives 185/70/R13 on the stock wheels. While the performance levels were excellent, they are too soft for the conditions my car faces, it seems. I know Yoko fans will complain, but I have had not less than 15 punctures on 5 tyres. One of them developed a sidewall crack when I hit a "Commonwealth" Paving stone lying in the middle of the road, trying to save a scooterist. Another developed a sidewall bulge post puncture. After 30,000 km, I had to replace two of them anyways. So, I have gone for four Michelin XM1+ and have retained the best Yoko as spare. The Michelins are quite good as well, but the comfort level is not at par with the Yokohamas. The slightly "floaty" feel of the Yoko A-drives while cornering is gone and the XM1+ handle slightly better. I have been unlucky with the tyres, I guess, and also "fiscally imprudent", I suppose.

My neighbours have been kind. Their demented kids have written / scratched out their mental sexual frustrations on my car. They have been minimised with polish, but I am not repainting an entire side because of them.

The tyres being a major expense, the overall maintenance (excluding accident repair but including PUC, nitrogen top-ups,an extra service, dry cleaning of interiors in every service, occassional wash, additional wheel alignments etc) have been Rs 48,000/-. Just the routine services have been around Rs 27,000/-, which is around 54 paise per kilometer, which is bare minimum maintenance cost, I suppose. The rest is mostly spent on wiper blades, labour for EW parts replacements, additional services, dry cleaning, wheel alignments, etc. Keeping in mind that the new set of Michelins are only 500 km old and they could have been avoided altogether, I have not added them to this cost. Had it not been for the CWG ruining one tyre, I would have still been on the Yokohamas.

FE hovers between 15-17 in summer with AC and 17-19 in winter without AC. Highways have given best figures of 23 kpl and worst figures of 13 kpl.

There have been enough highway trips despite 75%-80% city usage. I have travelled for 14-15 hours at a stretch and even driven overnight through national and state highways of North India. 80% of these highway miles have been undertaken alone. It takes some amount of faith in the product and of course, some extra effort (and cost) for the elusive thing called "peace of mind" before doing such journeys, since I am not the adventurous sorts, anyways.

That's the story so far. There have been some problems, but most of them (touch wood) have shown symptoms early enough to plan the replacement / repair. Some of these issues have been purely my carelessness, which is why I have clubbed "routine" and non-routine" maintenance separately. This is my first car as far as purely personal ownership is concerned, and I have made some mistakes which could have saved me some money.

Hope these kilometers continue and I am able to see the 2,00,000 km mark on this car, as I had originally intended to.
Old 7th September 2010, 01:24   #206
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude. Awesome kar diya hai.

how much did the XM1 set cost u?
Old 7th September 2010, 02:02   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrats dude. Awesome kar diya hai.

how much did the XM1 set cost u?
XM1+ (185/70/13) cost Rs 16000 for four and got some discounts for the two good tyres (which were quite okay actually). Got a mobile phone which cost Rs 1500/- in the market for free with four tyres. The sidewalls seems harder than Yokos, but time will tell.

Last edited by architect : 7th September 2010 at 02:17. Reason: free mobile phone cost corrected
Old 7th September 2010, 02:15   #208
Senior - BHPian

Some other bits of news:

Elegant Cars (Samyak) has won the award for being no.3 TASC in terms of "Vehicle Inflow Increase" for the last year. Not bad for a 12 year old Fiat Service Centre that seemed to be on the verge of shutting down. A lot of Team-BHP Fiat owners seem to be going there now.

With vehicle inflow increase, parts outflow has also increased. Elegant still orders 1-2 pieces of the non-regular parts for the Stile (like the Wiper Motor and Radiator pump), but they disappear fast too.

Have seen 3 multijet engines opened up already. First one, due to no service for 20000 km or so. Second one, premium fuel from day one (Bubby has been doing the same, and his car is Peted as well). Third one, manufacturing defect(?). Average cost of engine work (injectors, common rail, etc etc) seems to be around Rs 1.5 lakhs. This information is entirely dealer provided, no proof of authenticity, though.

OK, so most engine parts are common with Punto 75HP and some parts are common with Palio. What happens to the supply of Stile specific and Stile Multijet Specific parts? They seems to okay so far (like Bumpers with new grilles, tail lights etc) but I am not too sure now that the car is discontinued.

New TFASC in Noida is Uberoi (existing TASC in Dehra Dun). Staff cannibalization from other TFASC is expected, but more news on that will soon be clear when some of us go back to our favourite ASCs for service. Rama Motors seems to have shut down for maintenance for a while, and they are recommending Sanya for service.

Vivek Automobile does not seem to be a dealer anymore, but that's old news. They still service Tata-Fiat but they seem to be selling the Premier Rio instead.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:17   #209
BHPian

Sir Ji... Wrong info !!

Quote:
Have seen 3 multijet engines opened up already. First one, due to no service for 20000 km or so. Second one, premium fuel from day one (Bubby has been doing the same, and his car is Peted as well). Third one, manufacturing defect(?). Average cost of engine work (injectors, common rail, etc etc) seems to be around Rs 1.5 lakhs. This information is entirely dealer provided, no proof of authenticity, though.
Archi, I am out of my chair in a flash.

My multijet engine is as healthy and as wealthy as new even after 49k kms.

I guess you got some wrong info or you got confused somewhere, thats correct that I am using premium fuel and mine is a Pete'd SDX, but my engine has never been worked upon.

Where is the confusion mate?

Last edited by Bubby : 7th September 2010 at 13:19.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:22   #210
Senior - BHPian

Whats the problem with using premium fuel ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks