Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 19:46   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
I dont think it was a ECU re-map.The guy simply said 'ECU has some errors sir.I have to reset the codes with the ECU manual'....He refused with a grim police man's face.
Cheers.
Alton: Which service centre do you go to?

Sorry. I read your post just now and was curious.

Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a 1600-km trip in Rajasthan over 3 days. Car has seen expressways with its highest-so-far speed of about 145 kph, it has seen horrible village roads and it has seen some great driving on the flat, dry bed of the Sambhar lake. Also did some minor off-roading (strictly 2WD stuff). And taken all of it without any visible signs of problems.

Odo now reads at 29,600 km. Time for the 30,000 km service and to get the bumpers touched up. However, nothing can be done about the scratches on the fender, doors and bonnet given to me by my neighbours! :-(
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:30   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Just back from a 1600-km trip in Rajasthan over 3 days. Car has seen expressways with its highest-so-far speed of about 145 kph, it has seen horrible village roads and it has seen some great driving on the flat, dry bed of the Sambhar lake. Also did some minor off-roading (strictly 2WD stuff). And taken all of it without any visible signs of problems.

Odo now reads at 29,600 km. Time for the 30,000 km service and to get the bumpers touched up. However, nothing can be done about the scratches on the fender, doors and bonnet given to me by my neighbours! :-(
Good going, architect. Did you have to redline to get to 145 kph? How was the sound like at 145?
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:39   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Good going, architect. Did you have to redline to get to 145 kph? How was the sound like at 145?
145kmph will be just a little over 3500rpm
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:51   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
145kmph will be just a little over 3500rpm
At that speed, I could barely glance at the speedo, tacho was out of question. But may car does 120 at 3000RPM, so 145 should be around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
How was the sound like at 145?
Anything above 3500 RPM on this car is very loud and boomy in the interiors.

Last edited by architect : 23rd September 2009 at 14:52.
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:09   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasb View Post
One more update

My car failed to start today in my office parking.
It worked only up to the point where the coil light appears and after that it was free. No iginition.
Called Tata motors helpline and they were there in 30 minutes.
Helped in starting the car. Then i took the car to Dhingra motors gurgaon with them and they fixed the issue in 2 hours flat by changing the hose surrounding the key lock under warranty (costs around 700 bucks).
Good, they had the spare part
I never expected such a good service from tata motors.
Hmm.., so I am not alone, even I had to change the key mechanism in the first two months. It just wouldn't start the engine though some lights would come. They replaced it at my cost and later refunded that money after FIAT agreed its under warranty!!

Good to have seen this thread: I also have observed the engine stall once or twice while doing high rpms. It happened like this- I accelerated hard on the third and when I shift to fourth - pss.. no grunt from the engine when I press the throttle it feels as though it is floating, then I come back to third and move to fourth at little lesser RPM and it has no problem. This was along time ago and have not seen it since.

I have completed 15 months with the car and am right now facing one serious problem- The car fails to starts and cranks very noisily, the A.S.S are saying that the starter might have to be replaced and I am like .

The car is immensely dirvable but I don't know if this string of commonly observed issues are a bad sign or just coincidence.

Last edited by zaks : 23rd September 2009 at 18:10.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:53   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hmm.., so I am not alone, even I had to change the key mechanism in the first two months. It just wouldn't start the engine though some lights would come. They replaced it at my cost and later refunded that money after FIAT agreed its under warranty!!

Good to have seen this thread: I also have observed the engine stall once or twice while doing high rpms. It happened like this- I accelerated hard on the third and when I shift to fourth - pss.. no grunt from the engine when I press the throttle it feels as though it is floating, then I come back to third and move to fourth at little lesser RPM and it has no problem. This was along time ago and have not seen it since.

I have completed 15 months with the car and am right now facing one serious problem- The car fails to starts and cranks very noisily, the A.S.S are saying that the starter might have to be replaced and I am like .

The car is immensely dirvable but I don't know if this string of commonly observed issues are a bad sign or just coincidence.
In my case it was only the housing. If the key was changed, did they change something in the ECU as well?
Is your second problem somewhat related to clutch stuff. This looks to be one of the manifestations of the common clutch issue.
Regarding the starter replacement, it's shocking.

I think this is what toyota & honda need to be complimented for.
They are far less VFM but they give a quality product and peace of mind
Old 24th September 2009, 09:34   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
At that speed, I could barely glance at the speedo, tacho was out of question. But may car does 120 at 3000RPM, so 145 should be around that.
Feel bad that I have crossed the 15,000 KM milestone this morning without going beyond 120 Kmph even once.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:53   #99
BANNED

Quote:
In my case it was only the housing. If the key was changed, did they change something in the ECU as well?
No, same as yours- the key housing.

Quote:
Is your second problem somewhat related to clutch stuff. This looks to be one of the manifestations of the common clutch issue.
Regarding the starter replacement, it's shocking.

I think this is what toyota & honda need to be complimented for.
They are far less VFM but they give a quality product and peace of mind
It is confirmed now: The Starter has to be replaced and this is definitely a manufacturing defect!

They have ordered the part from Pune and say probably 1 week wait and I have already left it at the A.S.S for 3 days now

Is there anyone from Pune who can find out if it's in stock?

PS: My friend gave me a "I told you so " look ..

Last edited by zaks : 24th September 2009 at 11:54.
Old 29th September 2009, 08:45   #100
BHPian

Hey Zak Sorry to hear about the starter issue .
I think its just a bad luck bro .my car has crossed the 27,200 KM milestone and trust me I am really very very happy with my beast .
Its been long time I have posted any thing but watch out going to post my Long Term Review soon .
Old 4th October 2009, 16:43   #101
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I own a Palio MJD SDX and done with 7.5 k. During my second service, I got my tyres rotated and allignment done. Service was done at Perarana Motors and I feel they have done a descent job. Now this post is regarding the wheel allignment. Post allignmnet I found that my Steering wheel is not 90 Degress, If I keep the steering straight, I see that my wheel slightly tilted towards right. When Enquired, the service advisor told me that they can not restore it 90 degree position. Allignment works is fine, as I left my steering on straight strech, I dont see the vehicle pulling to either sides. It is going very straight!

If it can be restored to 90 degree position, please advice me or give away a pointers where I can get it done. Some how do not feel really comfortable with steering slight tilted one side. Please advice.
Old 4th October 2009, 22:11   #102
Senior - BHPian

Prajith, never do the alignment at the Service centre!
Better to do it at good Wheel alignment shop.

I would suggest you to get the WA done at: Madhus, Langford Road (near Richmond circle).
Old 5th October 2009, 09:55   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Prajith, never do the alignment at the Service centre!
Better to do it at good Wheel alignment shop.

I would suggest you to get the WA done at: Madhus, Langford Road (near Richmond circle).
You know! when I first told my problem to my Cousine who is a member here, he asked me to PM you as you are a die-hard fiat fan and from Bangalore. As he rightly said, you were the first one to answer me. Thank You Finney sir. I will get it done in coming weekend at Madhus. Thank You Very much.
Old 6th October 2009, 17:30   #104
BHPian

Trying taking it to green tracks ,I feel its the best shop in bangalore .
Old 8th October 2009, 01:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

30,000 km up!

Finished 30,000 km last weekend. Service for 30k km was carried out the weekend before that.

Thanks to a lot of scratches given by some of my neighbours at the parking, finally got my bumpers repainted. Car looked as good as new for two days until some demented teenager with a repressed spirit decided to scratch out four-letter words on my doors and fender regarding how he was born. Not joking, serious!

But well, one lives and learns to let such things be.

Anyway, after 30,000 km in 18 months, here's the review in a nutshell:

Problems:
1. Boot lock clamp (the part on the bumper, not the hatch) replaced under warranty because it had a bad spot weld and rattled.
2. Combination lock replaced for no rhyme or reason by Vivek Automobiles under warranty.
3. Front Left Camber is out, beyond acceptable limits, ever since I drove into an open manhole. Since all dealers are recommending the jugaad of filing the bolt at the lathe, I am managing to keep the camber as close to limits as possible by just aligning toe. In 10,000 km the uneven wear on my Yokohama A-drives is barely noticeable, but still it is there. By rotation and inverting tyres I should manage.
4. Some rattling on the parcel tray after installation of speakers on them instead of the designated space at the rear. Some dashboard rattles that come at 1000-1100 RPM on 4th and 5th gears.
5. Some sounds, probably from the door beadings.
6. Car stalled at 2500 RPM on 5th gear once. Never happened again.

Negatives:

1. Would have liked the car to be slightly less noisy in the cabin at 2500+ RPM.
2. Gearshift is fine, but not as slick as a Honda.
3. Clutch pedal is heavy and travel is long. Can be a pain in Bumper to bumper traffic at times.
4. Dry cleaning beige interiors is a good money making activity for TASC during every service.
5. Did not enjoy the true capabilities of the vehicle until I upgraded to 185/70/R13 Yokohama A-drives.
6. Some silly cost cutting measures by Fiat like not providing a coin holder and rear hatch internal panel for the SDE version.

Positives:
1. Ride, Handling and Steering. While it is neither the best handler nor has the best ride, it has the best balance between the two. Add that near-perfectly weighted steering (for its class) and the loads of feedback, it is a delight to drive, for long hours at a stretch.

2. FE.
I face the worst traffic in Delhi where I spend maximum time in 2nd and 3rd gears or crawling in traffic jams (Ashram, NFC, Lajpat Nagar) and have short trips on weekdays. If I drive like crazy, I get 13.xx with AC even in the worst of traffic. If I drive sedately, I get 15.xx in the same conditions. So there's not much variation. On highways, I have managed 20.xx with AC even after doing triple digit speeds for long.

3. Space, Comfort and ergonomics

4. Attention to detail on some things already discussed here on different forums.

Just felt like writing some more:

I am quite happy with this car. I have driven (mostly alone) to Nainital, Dehradun, Khajuraho, Orchha, Bikaner, Sambhar lake (drove on the salt flats), Kanpur and a few other places. One could say that nearly 7000-8000 km have been done on highways (very bad ones at times) and expressways including those in the NCR. A good highway vehicle, thanks to its ride quality, mid-range cruising power with enough turbo to carry out overtaking safely and a decent ability to cruise from 100 to 120 kph. The frugal nature of the engine gives 600+ km with 10-12 litres still left in the 47 litre diesel tank. Brake pedal feel is not good and non-progressive, but it has stopped whenever it has been asked to, so far.

In the city, the low-end torque is a boon and one car spend says without crossing 2000 RPM and play the sedate, economical driver and then one can be an absolute devil surprising even some bigger cars by driving between 2000-3500 RPM for a few days. At the end of both phases, the economy will still be around 16-17 kmpl in moderate traffic conditions!

A car is only as good as the A.S.S. and I have been lucky to have Samyak Motors (Elegant Cars) looking after my vehicle. With the venerable Mr O. P. Sharma at the helm of affairs, life is good, so far. Even the Service and occasional visit to Rama Motors for an air filter clean, wiper blades, wash etc have been very good. Maybe I am lucky.

Apart from the issues mentioned above (out of which the camber is the only serious one and it was mostly my fault!), I have not had too many problems really. Maybe I am fortunate as the engine and gearbox on my car (first 100 or so) is manufactured in Poland. Some people are having clutch and gear shift issues, but despite keeping a close watch, I have not had any.

So here's hoping a good many more kilometres on this car.

I am attaching a picture taken on Sambhar lake. I did some 2-WD off-roading and drove on the dry lake bed at 60 kph trying to follow a Rajasthan Roadways bus that was going even faster!

P.S. That's not me in the picture, these is my friend with the locals. Note the endless flat plains.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-img_1075.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks