Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2012, 15:03   #391
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: Four Years of Ownership—and 84,000 km behind the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The casualties are as follows: Front Bumper, Front left fog lamp bezel, a bent steel extension from the chassis that holds the bumper and the Radiator.

However, on a positive note, I am posting a photograph of both my rides on a rainy afternoon.
Sorry to hear about the accident. Is the photo taken after the hit (damaged portion hidden by the bike)?

The Fiat supplied HU in my car conked off. Since last Monday I am using a Dilliwala contraption as a stopgap. I suspect some short-circuit somewhere in the car because connecting the red wire (which meets the ignition as per the diagram in the HU) keeps the battery and oil indicators on the dashboard panel on even if the keys are pulled out. I have kept the red wire disconnected and the HU now works well except that at time of starting the car I once hear a thumping sound from the speakers. Also, even if I switch the HU off before turning the ignition off, the next time I take the keys to MAR position, the HU starts playing.
Old 20th September 2012, 22:27   #392
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: Four Years of Ownership—and 84,000 km behind the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
The Fiat supplied HU in my car conked off. Since last Monday I am using a Dilliwala contraption as a stopgap. I suspect some short-circuit somewhere in the car because connecting the red wire (which meets the ignition as per the diagram in the HU) keeps the battery and oil indicators on the dashboard panel on even if the keys are pulled out.
There has been either a short-circuit or somebody did not wire up the head unit correctly.

On another note, tomorrow will be exactly two weeks of waiting for the radiator to arrive. When I raised my voice last tuesday, I was told that the radiator has been dispatched from Ranjangaon. Perhaps they did that to quieten me.

The thing is I took a gamble with Fiat and it is only natural that as the vehicle grows older parts will become scarce. I had options of getting my radiator repaired but I chose to wait as this is one good way to have a new radiator at 92,000 km with the insurance covering half of it. So I can't blame anyone but Fiat.

However, it is not a great idea to keep a 2008 Palio customer waiting for parts (sometimes I am spending upwards of Rs 800/- per day on taxi nowadays) while a 2009 Linea / Punto owner gets them faster and also three times cheaper. A radiator for Rs 14,000/- is almost highway robbery.

Thank God this car is generally reliable. Otherwise I would be spending on many more expensive replacements.
architect is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 20:11   #393
BHPian

Quote:
However, it is not a great idea to keep a 2008 Palio customer waiting for parts (sometimes I am spending upwards of Rs 800/- per day on taxi nowadays) while a 2009 Linea / Punto owner gets them faster and also three times cheaper. A radiator for Rs 14,000/- is almost highway robbery.

Thank God this car is generally reliable. Otherwise I would be spending on many more expensive replacements.
I thought the Delhi/NCR Fiat owners would be better off with parts availability. The Fiat supply chain through dealers/ASCs seem to have serious flaws. I had been rather fortunate with clutch parts, thanks to a local (much respected) motor parts dealer. I don't think the local dealer sources parts from Ranjangaon. A more famous such dealer is Kava among the PUG community. The downside of taking the independent route is lack of warranty.

The Kava phone number can be found in some thread here in TBHP. You can perhaps contact them to get some idea of availability, price and the time required to source parts yourself while you wait for the radiator to arrive.
Old 21st September 2012, 21:41   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Kava phone number can be found in some thread here in TBHP. You can perhaps contact them to get some idea of availability, price and the time required to source parts yourself while you wait for the radiator to arrive.
Done that a few days ago. Kava does not have a new radiator for the MJD, only repaired ones. If I wanted a repaired one, I could have got mine repaired as well. A repaired radiator probably might not last very long and my idea was to utilise the insurance to get 50% on it, atleast.

However, I have given a deadline of this weekend. If it doesn't arrive, I shall ask them to do the rest and get the radiator repaired outside.
Old 8th December 2012, 00:46   #395
Senior - BHPian

Car has undergone another expensive round of repairs as one night I couldn't spot a bad, bad speed breaker. One shock absorber leaked. The clutch release bearings had been making sounds (again!). When the gearbox was opened, the clutch had only about 10-15,000 km of life left. Decided to get it replaced. The gearbox mounting is making noises but it was not available. Things are in a flux as everybody is preparing to move to exclusive Fiat ASC in a week or so. I guess I will have to bide my time for a while, and thank God I have got the car serviced as well. Odo is at almost 97,000 km now.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 17:26   #396
BHPian

Quote:
the clutch had only about 10-15,000 km of life left. Decided to get it replaced.
Did you get a Palio specific clutch or had to make do with a punto part? What about the clutch master and slave cylinders? Approx costs?
Old 8th December 2012, 23:05   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you get a Palio specific clutch or had to make do with a punto part? What about the clutch master and slave cylinders? Approx costs?
Sharmaji told me its a 'Linea' clutch. Frankly speaking, I don't care as long as it works and costs the same. Master / Slave cylinder was not replaced.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 15:23   #398
Senior - BHPian

Car crossed the 1 lakh km mark about two weeks ago, but never got the opportunity to post, such is the frenzied pace of life currently.

It has been an eventful fifth year:

1. Front suspension almost fully replaced, only one shocker lower arm left.

2. Clutch replaced when it was opened for clutch release bearing replacement.

3. Drove over stones on the roadside in September: Front bumper, grille, radiator, fog lamp bezel replaced. Waiting time: 21 days.

4. Dozed off while driving over the Barapullah Nala in November. Didn't see the mammoth speed-breaker at its end on the INA side. Shock absorber leaked. Replaced.

5. Shifted to new residence 20 km away from office (earlier one was 0.5 km away from office) and on the second day of commute in January the auto in front rear ended a Sumo and in turn got rear-ended by me. New radiator and bumper (bought in september) damaged again. Radiator repaired, crack in bumper survives to tell the tale.

Besides this, the Michelin XM1+ have done 52,000 km and obviously need replacement soon. Timing chain replacement at 1,20,000 km is also due.

Needless to say, Palio Stile parts are terribly expensive. This has, obviously, not been a good year for expenses on the car. It has, on the other end, been a good year because these incidents have not even given anybody a scratch!

I will be extremely busy again till April 2013, after which I hope to do these balance works. Till then, the journey continues. Signing off with some photos, clicked by our very own Sidindica.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-379738_533161266718163_1309026230_n.jpg  

Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-556392_533159183385038_804324432_n.jpg  

architect is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 00:04   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Car crossed the 1 lakh km mark about two weeks ago, but never got the opportunity to post, such is the frenzied pace of life currently.
Congrats, architect! Sad to hear about the accidents. Palio had indeed become a very pricey car to maintain, but the sheer driving pleasure makes one ignore that. A big thanks for keeping the updates coming.

Do you mind sharing how much it cost you to change the suspension related parts?

My ride has recently started getting bumpier than usual, and suspension is suspect.
Old 31st January 2013, 15:12   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! This is indeed an important milestone of a car ownership. And thanks Sidindica for the nice photos.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 21:31   #401
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 5 Years & 6 months - 1,16,000 kms

Congratulations on crossing the big 1,00,000! I feel this warmth when I see pictures of such a familiar instrument cluster (apart from the fact that my trip meter's bust!).

By the way, do you think those three slots/gaps in the bumper above the number plate is a good place to install DRL's? Or would it affect the cooling of the engine?
Old 14th February 2013, 17:08   #402
BHPian

Many Congratulations on crossing the 1lac milestone. Mine is a 2004 1.9D which is at 67,000 kms. When I bought it in 2010 it had around 37k on the odo. The dials are exactly the same in mine.

Picture was taken quite a while back. Sorry for the poor quality. Took in 3.2Mp cam of old mobile.
Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!-photo0206.jpg
Old 17th March 2013, 15:43   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Things are in a flux as everybody is preparing to move to exclusive Fiat ASC in a week or so.
Sorry to hear about the accidents? Dozed off on the barapullah? I'm happy that only the car suffered a little. Please don't drive when you're not upto it 100% mentally and physically.

Has Mr. Sharma moved to the FIAT ASC? Do you know which one and where is it?
Old 17th March 2013, 20:49   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Sorry to hear about the accidents? Dozed off on the barapullah? I'm happy that only the car suffered a little. Please don't drive when you're not upto it 100% mentally and physically.

Has Mr. Sharma moved to the FIAT ASC? Do you know which one and where is it?
Sharma jee has moved to Kashyap motors in Noida.

@Architect - Congratulations once again. May ur married life be filled with happiness.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:22   #405
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Bruiser! Getting married has been one of the reasons I have been out of circulation for a long while.

Incidentally the last mentioned accident had another side-effect. The intercooler had developed a slow leak! Another 10,000/- bucks or so! it has been very expensive with this car.

On the other hand, the fifth year will be over in two weeks. The car has also done a 700 km drive to Mukteshwar and Ramgarh in Uttarakhand on my honeymoon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks