Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2017, 12:48   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: New car coming soon

Small update since its nearly been six months since the last one. We are well into the one lakh ninety thousands now. Some work was needed including replacement of clutch and leaking oil cooler. The starter motor also needs to be serviced. Besides these matters, we are chugging along as usual.
architect is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 12:55   #497
Team-BHP Support

re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: New car coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
We are well into the one lakh ninety thousands now.
Congrats. Waiting for the 2L kms update.

Any work required for the engine till date? Anything that would make you think twice about taking it out for a long trip?
Old 19th August 2017, 12:58   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Any work required for the engine till date? Anything that would make you think twice about taking it out for a long trip?
You missed the entire engine overhaul at 1.47 lakh km!

Besides that lakh rupee blow on the solar plexus, engine has been fine. Glow plugs, one leaking oil cooler, one leaking oil sump, one blown thermostat, that's about it in the engine department.
architect is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 20:28   #499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Small update since its nearly been six months since the last one. We are well into the one lakh ninety thousands now. Some work was needed including replacement of clutch and leaking oil cooler. The starter motor also needs to be serviced. Besides these matters, we are chugging along as usual.
Where are you getting the starter motor work done ?

If you visit this side of town often, these guys are very good

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...den-delhi.html
Old 19th August 2017, 20:35   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

If you visit this side of town often,
Just dropped car at World of Service for starter motor service and steering rack repair. Will get it back by Monday.
Old 23rd August 2017, 20:03   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just dropped car at World of Service for starter motor service and steering rack repair. Will get it back by Monday.
The steering rack became a saga. It was opened because it was groaning at full lock to the left while straightening (mechanical noise not whirring due to lack of PS oil pressure). A new steering assembly comes for 20,000/- odd so I opted for repair. When opened, there was a minor leak and new seals could not be found for the Palio (the company's way of making you buy new power steering assembly every time). Finally, new seals were put in and the system leaked twice again. It seems it has been fixed, but we will have to drive it to see.
Old 23rd August 2017, 20:29   #502
BHPian

@Architect. Wow! That's great number crunching on odometer. Well deserved for diesel car. So have you decided which car to upgrade? Curious to know which car is replacing Palio. Others may also be waiting for update. Are you considering petrol Jeep by any chance since you know the devil
Old 24th August 2017, 13:00   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...and the system leaked twice again. It seems it has been fixed, but we will have to drive it to see.
Drove the car to work today after 4 days. Steering is still hard and it will stay that way for about 500 km or so since it has been repaired and the rack and pinion have been set with very little play so it will wear a little bit over time to become lighter. I am trying to keep checking for leaks. None so far. Fingers crossed. My original steering had leaked at around 90,000 km and I drove a leaking steering for 50,000 km till the overhaul time by topping up every week. Then the replacement was done for almost 20,000 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Starter motor 'bendex' has been replaced and its turning much lighter and faster now but its still taking time to start. Will have to check the magneto next. Again this starter motor is one that was replaced at 1.25 lakh km. I suspect the rest of the electrical wires / system are not delivering the right current somewhere. Need to do R&D there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
@Architect. Wow! That's great number crunching on odometer.
Quote:
2,00,000 km will happen by year end as I am at 1,92,000 km now. I drive about 1,800 km a month and chalk up about 400 km a week.

Quote:
I am driving the car normally like I would do earlier. Outstation trips still happen. I just went to Kumaon in March and did some "no-road" situations will 4 persons and luggage as well. I might go again in September. Short 150-300 km runs to Agra / Jaipur etc keep happening. Hell, one of my sites is 65 km from home and I end up there almost every week.

The thing is like this: like a typical budget Euro, all systems are never running perfectly all the time. It has been thus since 1 lakh km. There are works on the anvil at any time. The reason for this is compounded by the fact that spares are awfully expensive and I cannot leave the car for more than one or two days at a time since I have only one car with me. Every day without a car chalks up Rs 1,000/- in cabs and metros for me. So I have to balance things out by using judgement, risk, cash flow assessment and decisions regarding replace / repair.

At the same time, touch wood, the car has NEVER stopped on me anywhere. Most mechanical issues give you time to react and repair if you keep your eyes and ears open.

Obviously reliability and time spent in workshop is increasing so this car will have to go sometime in the near future. If NGT decision is upheld it will go in April 2018. I have no parking space or energy to keep this car after buying a new one. No one else drives at home.

On the other hand, if the NGT ruling (challenged by the Govt. in Supreme Court) does not win, the money invested over the last 2 years (in excess of 2 .25 lakhs including engine overhaul) might as well give me another 2 years or 50,000 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Curious to know which car is replacing Palio.
The sort of mad traffic I face everyday tells me only a Scorpio can survive the idiots on the road I meet. It is high with tough metallic panels which do not bend at the drop of a hat. But at Rs 13,00,000 on road for an S4+ in Gzb with more cess about to be imposed, it is nearly twice my budget! Also, the regulation w.r.t diesels in NCR is dicey territory.

Other options are petrol automatic Ecosport (almost same price and twice in fuel costs for me), TUV 300 in the 100 HP version (again same price) or maybe an Ecosport diesel. All of them suffer the same problems as the Scorpio: Cost.

Coming down the budget, the options in petrol are Nexon (since my FIL has a Bolt and I love the space and comfort within the compact size) or maybe a Zest petrol or an Aspire. My grouse with the non-Tata cars is that not a single one remains without large ugly looking dents in NCR for more than 2 weeks in our area because of the wafer thin body panels.

Obviously NONE of the 1.2 litre petrols give driving pleasure. The Hondas, Hyundais and Marutis have excellent mid and top end while Tata's 1.2 litre turbopetrols have excellent bottom end but weak mid and top end (unless Nexon petrol is very different).

As usual, you can't afford what you like. I am approaching 40 now and somewhere in the grey zone between employed, un-employed and self-employed. This is no time to splurge on fancy cars or take car loans. So what I get for my money is important.
architect is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 17:16   #504
BHPian

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to ask one query on my Palio Stile 1.6 (2010 model. ~37k on odo).., recently I have been noticing a sort of clicking sound during a cold start, the sound is quite loud and seems to be coming from steering side of the bonnet (right side from the driver's seat). I have checked and there seems to be nothing visible to the naked eye.

Strangely the clicking the sound seems to go away once the engine warms up or the I stop-start the engine after running for few mins.

Suggestions please...
Old 3rd October 2017, 18:08   #505
BHPian

Quote:

2,00,000 km will happen by year end as I am at 1,92,000 km now. I drive about 1,800 km a month and chalk up about 400 km a week.

On the other hand, if the NGT ruling (challenged by the Govt. in Supreme Court) does not win, the money invested over the last 2 years (in excess of 2 .25 lakhs including engine overhaul) might as well give me another 2 years or 50,000 km.
When I see a car being used to its full potential, it really makes me happy. Congratulations on clocking so many kilometers on the Palio.

Considering the amount of money that you've spent on it, it makes sense to try and keep it for as long as possible. My ex-boss has a Stile. He wanted to replace it 3 years ago but the poor resale, tin can quality of budget sedans and high priced products from decent manufacturers who use better steel made him keep it. It is still his only car and he enjoys it. He says that it is better to drive it till it completely depreciates, since the price in the used car market is only 150% of the salvage value in Kolkata.

If you're looking for a replacement, you could also look at used SUVs. Since dents and scratches are a part of life in the NCR, no point getting a brand new car.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:10   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkstile View Post
recently I have been noticing a sort of clicking sound during a cold start, the sound is quite loud and seems to be coming from steering side of the bonnet (right side from the driver's seat).
Is it coming from the engine? It could be pistons. Get it checked immediately. Also check for smoke and the engine oil consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Congratulations on clocking so many kilometers on the Palio.....

If you're looking for a replacement, you could also look at used SUVs. Since dents and scratches are a part of life in the NCR, no point getting a brand new car.
Thanks. I hope to drive it beyond 2,00,000 km.

I don't think I wish to purchase a used car after spending ten years with one car. A used SUV is usually an abused SUV (in Delhi NCR at least). Also, though my budget is restricted because I have no intention of taking a loan, so I would rather take a hit while buying a new car and enjoy low maintenance costs for the first 2 years.

In a used car, you are paying less for a more expensive vehicle because it is going to reach a high maintenance cost phase.

Looking at it from another point of view, a decent used SUV will be at least 60% of new which means it will be around 8-9 lakhs for a model done about 40,000-60,000 km. Most used Dusters and Scorpios are going at about that price. Anything lower is usually too high on the odometer or is a variant with no ABS or airbags.

I can get a Nexon XM diesel for 8.5 lakhs on road in Ghaziabad. I expect Ecosport facelift to also be priced aggressively and have airbags and ABS on base variants. Even considering Tata niggles, I have another 3 years and 50,000-60,000 km of usable life of the car and at least 2 years of low maintenance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd October 2017 at 20:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
architect is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 15:57   #507
Senior - BHPian

Today, we finished 1,95,000 km. Closing on to 2,00,000 now!

This is becoming an expensive year. There was kerosene in the diesel and the common rail had to be replaced. The part in ASC is for Rs 17,000 but I got it for around 12,000/-. However, there is some issue with the car's performance which we can't seem to pinpoint except that the Check Engine Light goes on for the first 10-12 km after cold start. We are working on it, including driving on a new MAF sensor. So, all systems are not fully go now, though we are doing 70 km daily as usual. Have added LiquiMoly Super Diesel and Diesel Purge additives to try and counter any negative effect of adulterated diesel in the injectors.

However, it is always at the back of my mind that this car will be replaced by March 2018. So, I have to figure out exactly how much to invest at this stage and still keep it running in case I do find a buyer. I do feel a slight sense of throwing a working car away, but it is becoming unsustainable to look after it in terms of money spent and most importantly, time.

For the replacement, we have thought of the Nexon XM (petrol or diesel) and the TUV 300 T4+ (or T6+ AMT) as of now. Though we liked the WR-V for the space, the petrol seems to wake up only at high RPMs and the diesel is at par or more expensive than the TUV! It is unlikely that the Ecosport will be cheaper than the TUV300. We may negotiate hard on the old model, though, if our timing is right.

Oddly enough, it is my wife who is leaning towards the Crude SUVs (she is even interested in buying a Bolero) while I am okay with the cars. She is getting tired of repair costs because of aggressive Ghaziabad traffic, I guess.

Last edited by architect : 23rd October 2017 at 15:59.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:25   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Today, we finished 1,95,000 km. Closing on to 2,00,000 now!

This is becoming an expensive year. There was kerosene in the diesel and the common rail had to be replaced. The part in ASC is for Rs 17,000 but I got it for around 12,000/-. However, there is some issue with the car's performance which we can't seem to pinpoint except that the Check Engine Light goes on for the first 10-12 km after cold start. We are working on it, including driving on a new MAF sensor. So, all systems are not fully go now, though we are doing 70 km daily as usual. Have added LiquiMoly Super Diesel and Diesel Purge additives to try and counter any negative effect of adulterated diesel in the injectors.

However, it is always at the back of my mind that this car will be replaced by March 2018. So, I have to figure out exactly how much to invest at this stage and still keep it running in case I do find a buyer. I do feel a slight sense of throwing a working car away, but it is becoming unsustainable to look after it in terms of money spent and most importantly, time.

For the replacement, we have thought of the Nexon XM (petrol or diesel) and the TUV 300 T4+ (or T6+ AMT) as of now. Though we liked the WR-V for the space, the petrol seems to wake up only at high RPMs and the diesel is at par or more expensive than the TUV! It is unlikely that the Ecosport will be cheaper than the TUV300. We may negotiate hard on the old model, though, if our timing is right.

Oddly enough, it is my wife who is leaning towards the Crude SUVs (she is even interested in buying a Bolero) while I am okay with the cars. She is getting tired of repair costs because of aggressive Ghaziabad traffic, I guess.
Brezza or duster base model would suit you best with their abuse friendly chasis and relatively successful application in Indian market, for all I can recall.
Brezza has the proven 1.3 ddis and the duster has an immaculate ride and great discounts running.Ecosport would be a good choice if not for the due facelift and a price increase.Nexon hasn't proven itself in the market.Looking at your running, it is hard not to recommend a diesel.
Old 26th October 2017, 17:27   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Brezza has the proven 1.3 ddis
I may sound unreasonable, but I am not looking forward to driving the 1.3 litre Fiat Multijet engine for another 2 lakh km and ten years of my life, even with 15 HP and 10 Nm more torque . I would prefer a change if I can help it.

Quote:
Duster has an immaculate ride and great discounts running.
The base version doesn't have safety kit. The power to weight ratio of the 85 HP diesel is not too good and the mid variants are too pricey. Also, Duster spares, especially those of the diesel engine, can be painfully expensive from what I know. For my usage, long term costs have to be considered.

Quote:
Looking at your running, it is hard not to recommend a diesel.
Agreed, but looking at Mr Kejriwal, NGT and Court who keep giving ad hoc decisions without a proper roadmap, buying a diesel can be risky.
Old 13th November 2017, 12:14   #510
Senior - BHPian

So we've done 10 km less than 1,96,000 km and the engine has been losing power for three weeks now. Turbocharger is okay but only after opening the head will we know if it is only piston rings or anything more. I should've sent the car to the workshop earlier but there were some emergencies in life that were more important.

We've now reached the decision to not make any big ticket spending on this car. We've done our rounds of the showrooms and our contenders are:

1. Ecosport (old model diesel with big discounts or new model petrol)
2. TUV 300 (T6+ MT)
3. Nexon (most likely petrol)
4. some other cars like Zest XT petrol, Jazz SV MT petrol or Jazz CVT.
5. One distant contender is a Punto Evo Emotion with big discounts

We don't want a Maruti (Dzire, Baleno, Vitara) or a Hyundai (i20). Everything else is too pricey or without safety kit or without anything special or too low. The premium demanded by Ford and Honda are a little vexing since neither seem to have that additional level of quality that they used to (particularly Honda). The Ecosport seems to be the priciest and the least spacious of the lot, though fun to drive in diesel.

Since the old car is practically grounded, I am managing with my FIL's Bolt. But we need a car fast.

Also the diesel vs petrol is becoming a big debate.

It's all messed up right now.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks