Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 07:39   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MudMover : Strangely, this time the engine oil has been changed to Valvoline, though earlier they were using only M&M oils.
M&M doesnt manufacture oil .. that oil may also have been Valvoline itself. If M&M changed the brand, would be due to a change in supplier ..
Old 1st September 2010, 08:29   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
M&M doesnt manufacture oil .. that oil may also have been Valvoline itself. If M&M changed the brand, would be due to a change in supplier ..
Agreed M&M doesn't manufacture oil. But the oil is packaged as M&M Maximile. So even if they changed supplier ( least likely in this case as most of these white labelling contracts are very long term in nature), the oil should still be packaged as M&M Maximile. To me it looks like dealer has used some other oil.

@Mud Mover: Please bring this to the notice of M&M Customer care.
Old 1st September 2010, 09:34   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
As mentioned earlier, I got the CFL springs attached. I'm yet to find any noticeable impact on the ride.
Ok, that was my initial experience too. But I was able to figure out it was not because of the CFLs. Can you post the close up image of your shackles? The shackle setup is very important with CFLs. It has to be in the correct angle and should have free movement. Only after I adjusted the shackle to have free movement, I started getting the benefit of CFLs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post1631411 (Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...ml#post1637227 (Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?)

Quote:
But I was told that the springs take some time to 'set', 'open-up' etc-etc, so the effects may not be immediately perceivable.
I was told the exact opposite, that they will never change, they will never need cambering nor can be re-cambered. Don't expect any opening up.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:43   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Good you got the HL changed under warranty.
Ya, thanks for the advice. The lights actually look brighter now so I guess the earlier leaky handlamp may have also been dimmer.

Quote:
Please go for normal Factory OE leaf springs. Ofcourse, you could differ if you wanna be a test rig for CFL guys. Its ok to test out CFLs for a short duration, but not otherwise.
Actually, I was going back to OE but then the in-laws wanted one last try so I relented. Besides, I had to choose between this or some gas-filled shocks made in Malaysia so I decided to stick with something I'd already used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
To me it looks like dealer has used some other oil. @Mud Mover: Please bring this to the notice of M&M Customer care.
so you're saying the A.S.S.es are doing this to make some extra money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ok, that was my initial experience too....
Thanks Samurai! You won't believe it but I'd read through your threads and your comments about the CFLs while first researching about CFLs and only because of you I realised the importance of the shackles in the success of this setup. So I'll post pictures of the current setup at the earliest.

Last edited by MudMover : 1st September 2010 at 15:45.
Old 1st September 2010, 17:18   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..since the ladies were refusing to travel in my Bolero anymore

Sorry for the LOL Mudmover, but this matter-of-fact like remark actually looked quite hilarious in your post !

The ladies of my house have returned to my Scorpio after my two pronged approach, namely stiffer shocks and an added leaf to my rear leaf springs.

Maybe we could meet at the weekend to exchange our SUVs for short drives, as I am quite keen on experiencing the ride quality of your Bolero, before opining further. You could PM me any time on this
Old 1st September 2010, 18:44   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
...Maybe we could meet at the weekend to exchange our SUVs for short drives, as I am quite keen on experiencing the ride quality of your Bolero, before opining further. You could PM me any time on this
Sure Mooza! I'll pm my location details and no. and maybe we can meet someplace. It'll be great to have you along since I was actually wanting to take videos of my vehicle's behaviour so as to have some kind of 'before' and 'after' comparison. I also want to see if fellow bhpian and fellow storm owner rockyb can come along with his ride so that I can compare both the storms as well. Since I'm getting the new CFLs fitted next Monday, it'll be nice if we can do the 'test run' this weekend (Sat or Sun).
Old 5th September 2010, 01:33   #112
BHPian

I got the new set of CFLs fitted today. After fitting the same, I went to meet bhpian Mooza near Koramangla to compare his Scorpio with the Bilsteins and added leaf mods and my CFL-fitted Bolero. Verdict - his scorpio wins hands down! Well, in my case at least these CFLs eliminate the major problems of the previous set -- excessive bounce and rear shifting and so I'm happy for now. I'm attaching video and pics of the setup below.

My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dscf5258.jpg
My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dscf5259.jpg
My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dscf5260.jpg

Improper Fitment
My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dscf5265.jpg
As shown above by the red arrow, there is a gap in the shackle fitment due to the shackle sleeve not having been pushed in properly. This needs to be set right on Monday.

Mooza's and my rides on the 'test track' near Koramangla
My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached-dscf5262.jpg

Thanks a ton Mooza! I learned a lot from you. We missed bhpian Rockyb and his storm, which would have provided additional insights.

@Mods: Can you please update title to "My Bolero Crde 2009 @48000kms: rear CFLs attached"

Last edited by MudMover : 5th September 2010 at 01:39. Reason: request to mods
Old 5th September 2010, 08:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hey MM, Nice, BTW how much did it cost you for the CFLs? Or are you experimenting FOC for them?

Just ensure they do not break!

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th September 2010 at 01:53. Reason: Removed video link from quoted text. BTW only Video was quoted.
Old 5th September 2010, 14:11   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, in my case at least these CFLs eliminate the major problems of the previous set -- excessive bounce and rear shifting and so I'm happy for now ...... there is a gap in the shackle fitment due to the shackle sleeve not having been pushed in properly.

Thanks a ton Mooza!
Hey MM, you are welcome anytime

Happy to know that your ride has improved, compared to your previous set up. Hope the sleeve gap issue gets addressed by your FNG !
Old 9th September 2010, 12:57   #115
BHPian

Hey MM & M

My weekends have been very busy. Havn't checked t-bhp mails for a long time. Will try to meet up next time.

regards

Quote:
I got the new set of CFLs fitted today. After fitting the same, I went to meet bhpian Mooza near Koramangla to compare his Scorpio with the Bilsteins and added leaf mods and my CFL-fitted Bolero. Verdict - his scorpio wins hands down! Well, in my case at least these CFLs eliminate the major problems of the previous set -- excessive bounce and rear shifting and so I'm happy for now. I'm attaching video and pics of the setup below.
Old 9th September 2010, 17:11   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Hey MM, Nice, BTW how much did it cost you for the CFLs? Or are you experimenting FOC for them?

Just ensure they do not break!
Thanks headers! They cost about 22K + 2K for fitment. Nope, am not testing for anyone, just want a comfortable ride that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hope the sleeve gap issue gets addressed by your FNG !
They addressed that issue alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Will try to meet up next time.
Sure thing rocky. I really want to check if anything has changed after all the money that's been thrown at the problem. Your storm is still 'all-stock' right?
Old 30th November 2010, 17:01   #117
BHPian

I've been facing issues ever since I got the bolero serviced about 2 weeks back at 53K (50K service). Firstly, I'd got 100/90 bulbs fitted (@ ASC) with the wiring and stuff, but on the very first trip after the service one of the headlights stopped working (the error was traced to some loose connection). Then I was getting a squeaking noise from the rear which the Service Advisor diagnosed as coming from an LSPV spring and that was replaced, but after the service now I feel that the brakes are loose and the vehicle 'shudders' violent when I apply the brakes at high speeds (in excess of 60kmph). I don't know whether the shuddering is because of the brakes or the clutch, because at high speeds I always engine braking as well and typically it's when I'm releasing the clutch and applying the brakes that the vehicle shudders. I plan to go to the ASC tomorrow but since there is no long and clear stretch near my home or the ASC I wonder how I'll explain the issue.

What worries me is that I've stopped my weekly visits to the in-laws' estate due to health reasons and now my wife goes every weekend with a temporary driver. Invariably, every weekend it's a seperate driver and the vehicle is getting abused. Even though the bolero was serviced only on the 19th of November, this weekend when I drove to my wife's hometown I felt as if I was driving a goods lorry! For safety purposes I feel I should fit a speed limiter on the bolero to ensure that the drivers don't overspeed... any body have any experience with speed limiter fitments?

Service cost was Rs.5877.
Old 23rd January 2011, 01:39   #118
BHPian

re: My Bolero VLX CRDE 2009 @60,000kms: rear CFLs attached

Hey MudMover,
Been a long time,. how is your Bolero doing???
Am in the verge of buying one,. would like to know your thoughts.
Old 24th January 2011, 18:59   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Hey MudMover,
Been a long time,. how is your Bolero doing???
Am in the verge of buying one,. would like to know your thoughts.
Hi there! the bolero is fine, done about 58K now . I'm actually just a very unwilling customer of the Bolero Storm (since it was bought by my F-in-law) and part of a dwindling tribe here on tbhp. I would have prefered something else and would advise you consider any of the other Mahindra offerings like the Xylo & the Scorpio.

You haven't mentioned your usage/needs... and what other vehicles have you TDed. Since you are about to plonk down some serious money request you to refer to the below threads for some pointers.

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community (Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2209977
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post2215361
Old 26th January 2011, 23:27   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Hi there! the bolero is fine, done about 58K now . I'm actually just a very unwilling customer of the Bolero Storm (since it was boug--
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post2215361
Hi MM,
Thanks for you links. It did help me, but yet to decide. To make things more clear - I want a 4X4 with decent highway drives and family friendly vehicle. Thar CRDe is great, but lacks AC, hardtop and is only 3 doors. So Thought of Bolero VLX (let go of 4X4 for other advantages). And yes budget is a constrain, max 8Lac)
Cars wont help as the roads I drive are bad. Scorpio, Safari and Sumo are not my taste.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks