Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 12:30   #1
GKS
BHPian

Tata Xenon XT 4x2

First of all I was in love with this beast before I even decided to buy it. and the dealer knew it A BIG mistake.

Let me start my experience from the dealers

After snooping around a lot I put deposit down for an artic silver Xenon XT 4x2 on 18th of Jun 2009, I was promised delivery on the 30th of Jun 09. With the car I had ordered the following extras 1) Aluminum side step 2) Chrome rear bumper 3) canopy. After several frustrating telephone calls and visits to the dealers shop I finally took delivery on the 15th of Jul 09 without the canopy. Now comes the best part, guess whom the dealer blamed for the delay and the missing canopy “TATA NANO”. As per the dealer TATA is pushing the production of NANO and all other cars are on second gear.

The car had 100+kms on the clock, thoroughly cleaned and with enough gas to get to the nearest gas station which is about 500m away. They literally had to pump the fuel system to get some fuel into the engine.

They had forgotten to take temporary registration and get the insurance. I had to drive home my own car with test drive papers (probably the car came to the showroom the night before).

After couple of days I got the temporary registration and insurance papers from the dealer.

Then I went to get the car registered.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for a New Xenon.
I saw a Xenon with Canopy.
It looks like LandCruiser for me.very big indeed.
Enjoy and drive Safely
Old 29th July 2009, 13:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the new Xenon. Wish you loads of fun with her.
Do post a few pics.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:21   #4
BHPian

With xenon not being popular delay in delivery should have been expected. Anyways your delivery was still not as delayed as my swift (read 2 months). Don't expect honda like finish and after sales service. Concentrate more on enjoying the beast and what all it can do along with admiration from others. It looks like a brilliant vehicle. People like me only dream of such a vehicle and in the end under society pressure end up buying MPV's.

Congratulations! and all the best. Looking forward to pics and review.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:27   #5
BHPian

Congrats GKS. Nice purchase. Xenon looks great in silver (seen 2 silver xenons here in bangalore). Post some pics of your vehicle (Interiors and with canopy). Whats the onroad price you paid?? Waiting for the initial report.

Enjoy, Drive safe.

Last edited by mnhegde : 29th July 2009 at 13:29.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:02   #6
BHPian

Hey congratulations! Saw one today in Gurgaon. Was black with a crash guard and 2 lights on the guard. It looked massive! Is it more or less the same size of the Safari or bigger?
Old 29th July 2009, 14:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase!!! Do post some pictures of you beast!!!
Old 29th July 2009, 16:52   #8
superveloce

hey GKS thats an amazing choice! i have my heart set on the xenon too. it looks so macho and butch. i have my heart saying xenon since a longtime. but sadly the interiors are not up to the mark. the inside and outside are as different as two different branded cars.
still i love the xenon i silver, i lust after the one at the tata dealership here every single time i drive past it.

do post some pictures please. CONGRATS AGAIN!

Old 29th July 2009, 17:09   #9
BHPian

Congratulations!.. I too have my heart set on this vehicle and have been following it since it's display in 2006, just waiting for my days to grab one. Do post some pictures of the Xenon and provide your feedback. It would also be great if you could let us know what made you go for this.
Old 29th July 2009, 19:57   #10
GKS
BHPian

I will surely post pictures of the car as soon as possible, right now I am doing some interior work like seat covers, music system TV screens etc. Major work will start once I get the canopy, which by the way has finally arrived. So I am planing to do the 1000km service and attach canopy together. May be its TATA built quality or may be its just one of the kind, my brake lights stopped working and the clock is doing overtime(instead of a clock I think TATA put a stop watch) Other than that I ENJOY driving the car its absolutely fantastic.
Old 29th July 2009, 21:09   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Too bad about the purchase experience, yet I do hope that your Xenon ownership more than makes up for it.

1. How about getting to the actual truck? Hows she to drive? What likes / dislikes?

2. Pictures

3. Why didn't you buy the 4x4 variant?

4. Please name the dealership so others are made aware.

Congratulations on making a different choice. The Xenon has "truckloads" of character. Drive safe!
Old 29th July 2009, 21:10   #12
GKS
BHPian

This scenario only applies for newly launched vehicles

As you all know people are still wondering if Xenon is a people carrier or a goods carrier, whether it can be registered as a private vehicle or a goods carrier(the one with yellow paint in front and back) all are still confused believe me even Regional Transport Officers have their own opinion. So please read the following carefully

It is mandatory that when a manufacture produces a new model they should get “approval for registration” from ARIA. (The Automotive Research Association of India). ARIA then further categorizes the new vehicle into several classes and divisions in accordance with CMV Rule 1989 (Central Motor Vehicle).

Once this is done The Transport Commissioner will sent a letter to all concerned like TATA motors, All Deputy commissioners, All Regional Transport Officers etc.

In the case of Xenon the letter from Transport Commissioner clearly states QUOTE The applicant is directed to produce a copy of ARAI certificate before Registering Authorities at the time of registration of vehicles. UNQUOTE

Your dealer or TATA motors is supposed to give you all paper works and related documents along with car for registration. I got none of the above and had to go from pillar to post to get all the paperwork.

Will be attaching scanned copy of all related documents shortly, now here you can see how the classification of Xenon is done.

So please all would Xenon buyers take a note insist for “Approval for the registration letter and the following paper work”.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon XT 4x2-xenon-1-clarification-prsonal-reg.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT 4x2-xenon-clarification-prsonal-reg-1.jpg  

Old 29th July 2009, 21:44   #13
GKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Too bad about the purchase experience, yet I do hope that your Xenon ownership more than makes up for it.

1. How about getting to the actual truck? Hows she to drive? What likes / dislikes?

2. Pictures

3. Why didn't you buy the 4x4 variant?

4. Please name the dealership so others are made aware.

Congratulations on making a different choice. The Xenon has "truckloads" of character. Drive safe!
1) For me driving is like dancing, you your partner, the floor and others on the dance floor. We are just getting know each other and so far shes been great fun.

2) Will upload pictures tomorrow

3) 4x4 costs another IRS100,000/- and out in Gods own country haven't come across any serious 4x4 tracks yet. Self very keen in off road driving epically in the desert/wet lands conditions.

4) Will disclose the name of the dealer after my 5 free(no labor charges which is about IRS350/- ) services are over (you know I love my car)
Old 30th July 2009, 10:08   #14
GKS
BHPian

Pics

Couple of snaps taken today morning
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon XT 4x2-img_0156.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT 4x2-img_0157.jpg  

GKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2009, 11:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKS View Post
Couple of snaps taken today morning
Nice pics, give some detailed interior pics and the pic of the canopy once its on. Will keep an eye on this one. Get rid of the ribbon before it leaves a mark.

Most Viewed