Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 18:16   #16
BHPian

Hey Nikhil. Will keep your advice in mind when its time to fit alloys. Will come to you itself if I'm still in bangalore at that time.
Old 26th August 2009, 00:42   #17
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hey congratulations Krish! How about checking out Hankook R-S2 in 195/60/14 ? And btw this is a very nice color !!
Old 26th August 2009, 10:02   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

195/60 R14 is recommended only if he's going in for alloys. They will be too wide for the steel rims.
Old 1st September 2009, 20:43   #19
BHPian

Delivery exp & Inital Drive reports

Dealership experience.
We enquired about the GETZ from two dealers in Cochin - Popular and MGF Hyundai. Both dealers quoted the ex-showroom price as 5.42 lakhs. But I insisted on taking the car only if they give it at 4.99 lakhs ex-showroom. It seems that they wanted to make a quick buck out of it. But I persisted and Popular said they have no stock with them. MGF, though had two cars with them. A Dark Grey Mettalic and a Golden Beige colour. Grey was my personal favourite and we finalized on that colour. The date was 14th August 2009. We asked the Sales rep to keep aside the car till 17th Aug, when we will be giving the advance of 25K. He declined at first but when we asked him to give it away if anyone comes and asks for it before 17th, he agreed. He later called and said that he will keep it safe and wont give to anyone else. All sales jargon, for which I'll never fall.
On 17th, we gave the advance of 25k, and a post dated cheque for 21st Aug with remaining amount. We asked for some frebies and he didnt give anything. Looking at his attitude, I also felt that I shouldn't ask anything from him. He was behaving as if he was doing a favour for me. Finally he didn't even give an idol. Gave floor mats and mud flaps. I was given a beautiful Ganesha idol by a colleague of mine and we are placing that in the car.
The delivery after registeration of the car was on 25th Aug and the time mentioned was 11:30 am. But we delayed the time to 1:30 pm for Rahu Kaalam. The car was polished and delivered as asked for.
Overall an OK experience. They enthusiasm to sell any other Hyundai car is very good so I would expect the same dedication for a GETZ delivery as well. So a bit put-off as well.

Mods Done
1) Audio system fitted onto GETZ from my previous car Zen. But the front speakers were just 4" in the ZEN so fitted new Pioneer 6" (160W) speakers on the front. Rear speakers are also JBL 280W ovals which were on the Zen as well.

2) At 64 kms on the odometer, I changed the tyres to Michelin Energy XM1+ 185/65 R14. These were fitted onto the stock rims. The GoodYears fetched a resale of rs 1750/- per tyre and hence the full amount of new tyres + wheel alingment + balancing came to Rs 9000/-. The tyres came with a 3 yrs warranty and I also got 5 Reebok discount coupons. Got the tyre replacement done from Global Tyres, Cochin. Work done was good.

Stock Tyres
Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-stock-tyre.jpg

Michelin 185/65 R14
Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-michelin.jpg

To do-: Sun Films which I will be doing only later on. Need to get over the financial strain a new car brings along :-)

Initial Driving experience

Everyone knows the characteristics of the GETZ Diesel. Its a very quiet car, smooth, gear shifts well, outside noises penetrate very less and the brakes and handling are now very good with the new tyres fitted.
Contrary to expectations, the car was very easy to drive in the city. It can crawl at city speeds just by modulating the clutch and brakes. Accelarator was required only for overtaking or when an empty stretch comes up. Needless to say, by the time we accelerate, its time to stop. Got to use the turbo once in the city traffic and I was a bit overwhelmed. I then made a decision not to use the turbo in the city. Below 1800 rpm, the pull is quite good to keep up with traffic and the lag is almost non-existent.

Front view
Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-front-view.jpg

Rear View
Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-rear-view.jpg

Speedo at time of tire change
Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-speedo-console.jpg

Central Console
Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-central-console.jpg

My run-in will be done on highway drives and today I just did the first highway run from Cochin-Trivandrum. A distance of 200 kms only.
I can't really call it a highway run as anyone who have been to Kerala will know. I had to keep shifting gears and touched the 5th gear only on very few patches. It was raining almost till I reached trivandrum.

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-conditions.jpg

There was so much traffic that I took 5 hrs to cover the 200 kms at an average speed of 40km/hr only. On a lot of stretches, I was on 2nd or 3rd gear. So much for highway.

A few of the pros and cons that I felt with the Getz CRDi.
Pros
1) Very low NVH even at 120kmph, music at low volumes supresses everything.
2) Good power spread. Could overtake at will.
3) Good seating position
4) Good handling and stabiity at high speeds.
5) Brakes are effective
6) Boot space is quite good. Packed in quite a lot for the trip and still didn't have to keep anything in rear seat
7) Good Mileage. Got around 20 kmpl in this run. I used to get 20 kmpl in my Zen and 22-23 kmpl on my fiesta. So its at par for me.
8) Tiltable steering provided a good change as I could rest my arms lower
9) Spacious footwell. Its important on long drives as there is space to move around the foot and avoid getting pained in one position.
Cons
1) Ergonomics are not its strong point, compared to Fiesta and Zen. It was hard for me to get comfortable in the car. Found one after a long time.
2) Seats are very hard.
3) Headlights are CRAP. Was blinded even in city.
4) Horn is very weak, though my family liked that as it was less of a nuisance.
Old 1st September 2009, 21:00   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3) Headlights are CRAP. Was blinded even in city.
I agree totally! I dont know why but I'm realising it only today! It was raining and I was driving when it was dark. I felt the headlights are totally inadequate! I've always thought something's wrong with me, but today I realise I'm not alone!

Very nice report, btw!
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy.Shod alloys to her it looks good.Any Idea of adding petes.
I like the speedo meters of Getz & Verna but not the dash,
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:13   #22
BHPian

Thanks Ram & Nikhil.

Alloys and Petes take quite a lot of Vitamins. I'm yet to get bored of the stock power delivery. Once I do, I will surely go for petes.

I too used to hate the wooden console, but now I'm getting used to it. Its boring but not revulting. Its functional and thats what we need from a car.
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:02   #23
BHPian

Stability

Hi krish,

How do you find the high speed stability of the car ? Do you think the practical power and the bidy weight are a match ? My Palio 1.6 is rock solid at high speeds and many a time I don't even realise touching the 140 kph mark. Do you experience the same with the Getz. I have heard a few grumbles on this aspect so it would be nice to get your practical view.

Enjoy driving the rocket !
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:25   #24
BHPian

Congrats Krish3 on your new car.
Good choice on tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
There was so much traffic that I took 5 hrs to cover the 200 kms at an average speed of 40km/hr only. On a lot of stretches, I was on 2nd or 3rd gear. So much for highway.
Don't worry over time taken and average speeds.

Enjoy the drive and reach safe.

Regards,
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
Hi krish,

How do you find the high speed stability of the car ? Do you think the practical power and the bidy weight are a match ? My Palio 1.6 is rock solid at high speeds and many a time I don't even realise touching the 140 kph mark. Do you experience the same with the Getz. I have heard a few grumbles on this aspect so it would be nice to get your practical view.

Take this on a lighter note

You know rockets right? The are very fast, and are good in a straight line- takes a bit to maneuver them! The Road rocket is not far off- it is amazing in a straight lines and slight (or more than slight) curves- but cornering is not one of its strengths. That said, you wont know when this car crossed the 140 mark on a good highway- I noticed it only when it had already touched 155+!

The Fiats are wells known for their handling- may be a Punto with the Getz CRDi engine would do...!
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
Hi krish,

I had driven the Palio 1.6 GTX around 5 yrs back. The GETZ is no match for it in stability terms. As Phoenix mentioned, its very good on straights and gentle curves. I felt the GETZ understeers a lot on corners and I keep well under limits at all times. So for people like me who like going fast on straights and slight curves, this is THE ONE!!! For those who want good cornering included in the package, look elsewhere.

Maybe a Punto with this engine..that would be the perfect package IMO
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Add the steering feel to that- the Getz steering, at least in my car, feels like it will respond even if someone sneezed in the car when it is 140+!
Old 3rd September 2009, 00:07   #28
BHPian

Congrats dude!!! May you drive a lotta safe miles ahead. All the very best. And 20KMPL at the first go now thats something man - amazing.

Shyam
Old 6th September 2009, 23:11   #29
BHPian

1000 kms completed....

1000 kms completed with only 90 kms done in city and 600 kms in highways of Kerala (almost city like). The first landmark was reached on my way from cochin-bangalore.

My usual cochin-bangalore drive was done on my Zen and I used to be really tired and my knees used to ache after the drive. But Getz was just pure fun to drive. Power is delivered as wished and even gentle acceleration is all that is required to overtake slower cars and keep up with the big ones.

We didn't play music for most of the drive and still it was very silent in the cabin. Outside noise doesn't intrude much. Engine noise is almost non-existent while cruising.

Had fun trailing a Civic in Kerala and then a C-230 BENZ between Salem and Krishnagiri. I know they didnt drive hard and neither did I. Touched a max speed of 150 kmph for a few secs only.

Ran 520 kms after last re-fill and fuel guage is just below the half mark level. I fill 33 psi on all tyres.

1) Superb Engine. Very fast, refined and mileage friendly as well.
2) Comfort. The car is very comfortable. Didn't feel the 500 odd kms. We do easily do more
3) Soft clutch. A good thing for my Knee as I'm prone to knee-aches. My fiesta also has a very hard clutch and I cant drive too long on that without pains.
4) Boot space and storage space. For a hatch, its got good storage space. All our Onam bounty could be filled into boot. A 2 ltr bottle could be kept on the bottle holder and chocolates were stuffed onto the door storage areas.
5) Good stability at highway speeds. Car feels slower than actual. Speed is known only when I see other vehicles being left to dust.
6) Cockpit is beautiful at night with lights on. Pleasing to drive in.
7) Nice feedback from steering at high speeds. I would have liked the Fiesta steering feel though.
8) Smooth gear shifts although they are quite long.

Dislikes

1) Very bad headlights. Its same as no lights. Will be fitting Osram Night breakers asap.
2) Headlights gets easily covered with slush. Will have to keep checking the lights in between journeys.
3) Brakes lack feel. They stop in time but I'd also like more feel from them.
4) Rain water just doesn't seem to slide down the front screen. It seems to stay there. Never seen this in any car before, or am I wrong here?

Finally some pics from my travel.

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc00563_corrected.jpg

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc00565_corrected.jpg

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc00568.jpg

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc00595.jpg

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc00596.jpg

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc00600.jpg

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc00603.jpg

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc00609.jpg

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc00614.jpg

EDIT-: Got my first stratch and entirely my fault. Happened while parking at my place in bangalore. My Zen used to fit there easily, but realised a bit too late that the GETZ is at least 2 sizes bigger. Got a stratch on my right headlight and slight mark after the headlight ends. The plastic cladding saved a lot of work.

Last edited by krish3 : 6th September 2009 at 23:25. Reason: Adding one more point
Old 7th September 2009, 07:32   #30
BHPian

Hi Krish,

Nice Review,i was plannin to go for one here in pune and it seems no dealer has it in stock, they said that we can check is some other branch of theirs has it in stock not sure if thats a good idea. any suggestions on that ???

Please post some more pics of the Rear seat and the Boot if possible !!!

Thanks !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks