Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 22:20   #136
BHPian

Re: Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3

@Epicenter.rulez- Being a Swift ZDi owner, your experience with your car is confidence inspiring for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
Except from normal services, there hasnt been any problem with the car except one. The synchroniser rings for the first and the second gear went to hell every 35000 kilometers or so. The first couple of times they were replaced under warranty but when they went the third time, i raised a stink and called the maruti bigshots. Nobody could find a clue to how it kept happening again and again and i demanded a new gearbox but they assured me that if it happened again, they would replace it free of cost if and when and no matter whenever it happened. Got it from them on paper and since the day i bought the car i've replaced the set almost 5 times, the last time about 10000 kilometers ago
I am facing exactly same problem with my car. 1st gear started acting up at 55,000 kms, SA said that, within next few kms 2nd gear won't slot properly, so after that he advised to fix problem of faulty synchroniser rings. And at 71,000 kms 2nd gear started acting up, therefore yesterday I wrote mail to Maruti Suzuki in order to get warranty for this particular problem, if it happens in future. In turn I received a call from works manager of my local MASS, he offered to replace synchroniser rings for 1st and 2nd ratio along with clutch plate and pressure plate. This job will be performed at zero labour cost, but at same time he is not ready to give me in writing regarding waver for future repairs. Following mail I have received from works manager.

Quote:
Dear Sir,
Greeting of day.
==========
as vehicle has covered almost 70000 kms so we have recommended for
Clutch & pressure plate assly.
Old 17th November 2015, 22:30   #137
BHPian

The written reply will be purely your luck and persistence.
But since they are charging you for the parts, you are still not as lucky as me.
Maruti has found out a good way to earn money keeping some parts sub standard so that they can be replaced time and again.
Keep on trying and they may agree to put it in black and white.
Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!
epicenter.rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 22:53   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
The written reply will be purely your luck and persistence.
But since they are charging you for the parts, you are still not as lucky as me.
Maruti has found out a good way to earn money keeping some parts sub standard so that they can be replaced time and again.
Keep on trying and they may agree to put it in black and white.
Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!
Thanks a lot. I will surely try to push them to give in writing, and I really don't want to part with vehicle due this problem
Old 18th November 2015, 21:34   #139
BHPian

Re: Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
@Epicenter.rulez- Being a Swift ZDi owner, your experience with your car is confidence inspiring for me.

I am facing exactly same problem with my car. 1st gear started acting up at 55,000 kms, SA said that, within next few kms 2nd gear won't slot properly, so after that he advised to fix problem of faulty synchroniser rings. And at 71,000 kms 2nd gear started acting up, therefore yesterday I wrote mail to Maruti Suzuki in order to get warranty for this particular problem, if it happens in future. In turn I received a call from works manager of my local MASS, he offered to replace synchroniser rings for 1st and 2nd ratio along with clutch plate and pressure plate. This job will be performed at zero labour cost, but at same time he is not ready to give me in writing regarding waver for future repairs. Following mail I have received from works manager.
Surprising....I am just got my Swift 170K service done and the SA has informed me that I will face this Sync problem before the next service and clutch plate is also can be changed along with that job as it hard now a days. I did not face any problem so far.
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 21:57   #140
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Surprising....I am just got my Swift 170K service done and the SA has informed me that I will face this Sync problem before the next service and clutch plate is also can be changed along with that job as it hard now a days. I did not face any problem so far.
Hi blorebuddy, thats nice you haven't faced any issues so far regarding the synchroniser rings. As far as I know, there is no definite km interval, when one will face this issues. This problem problem is common across the swift, Dzire, Ertiga and Ritz. You may encounter this problem at as low as 20k kms, likewise for my 2nd generation Swift D sync rings started acting up at 55k, whereas I haven't heard or felt this issue in my old swift D which I used for 2.5 years and 65k kms before selling. Apart from this issue and few rattles, car is absolutely fine.
Old 19th November 2015, 00:32   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Even in my Swift till around 80K kms, I never had problem with my Swift's gear shifts. It was butter smooth, just like day 1. The clutch had become weak and jerky and I was told, would need a replacement around 1L kms though.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 01:12   #142
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Even in my Swift till around 80K kms, I never had problem with my Swift's gear shifts. It was butter smooth, just like day 1. The clutch had become weak and jerky and I was told, would need a replacement around 1L kms though.
@swiftnfurious- As in my case, clutch is fine till next few thousand kms. I am going for clutch and pressure plate replacement along with this synchroniser rings replacement in order to save on labour charges, which will be incurred for this independent job.

@blorebuddy- That's the reason why your respective SA recommended clutch replacement. I think you should go ahead with that.
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:39   #143
BHPian

Can anybody help in listing the things which needs to be checked or replaced once the Swift has crossed 1 Lac kms.

As such I am not facing any such issues, but still would like to be prepared and aware of the situation and the necessities which needs to be done once the Car has run the 1 Lac kms on the ODO.

Thank You.
Old 24th July 2016, 08:00   #144
BHPian

Nothing specific other than the Regular service. Your SA will advise you if there is anything required to be done. Is your timing chain replaced?
Old 16th May 2017, 21:05   #145

Sorry for posting this on an old thread.

I have a 2010 Swift Vdi clocked @ 67000kms. Of lately I have started to notice a strange noise from the engine (garrr...garrr...garrr). The noise is present while idle & also when the car is on the move.

Here is the background & some facts:
1) I drive 90% of the time within city.
2) I used to service my car @ MASS for first 5 years (i.e till 50000kms). I have always opted for 15w40 engine oil throughout the service periods.
3) I have been servicing my car in Lotus Motors (Bosch service center) on Mysore Road, Bangalore since last year. Infact the 60000kms service was done @ Lotus Motors. The service included EGR cleaning, engine flush, 5w30 engine oil (switched the grade only because they did not have 15w40) & the routine 60000kms service. Notice the change in engine oil grade from 15w40 to 5w30.
4) After the Odo hit 62000kms, one of the glow plug went kaput. The SA @ Lotus Motors suggested to change all 4 glow plugs but considering that would set me back by ~2.5k, went with replacing the faulty one alone.
5) I had done a top up of the engine oil with 15w40 (about 800ml) with odo @ 65000kms. Notice the mixing of oil grades, ~2.3 liters of 5w30 & 800ml of 15w40.

I took my car to Lotus Motors 2 days back with odo @ 67000kms & the SA mentioned that the strange engine noise is due to timing chain problem & that it needs to be replaced. If not replaced soon, it could severely damage the engine. The cost would be ~ Rs. 7k - Rs. 8k .

My queries are that:
1) I am not an expert of diesel engines but wouldn't timing chain last for lifetime of the engine ?
2) I read somewhere that change in engine oil grades could cause timing chain problem. So, my query is since I have driven only ~8000kms after changing the oil grade to 5w30, can the timing chain wear out so soon ? And would switching back to 15w40 solve the engine noise problem ?
3) Could changing only one glow plug instead of all 4 would have had its effect on timing chain ?
4) Could the mixing of oil grades 5w30 & 15w40 would have had its effects on timing chain ?
5) Any other tips or suggestions on over coming the engine noise ?
6) Is it really required to change the timing chain ?
Old 17th May 2017, 09:47   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streak View Post
Sorry for posting this on an old thread.

I have a 2010 Swift Vdi clocked @ 67000kms. Of lately I have started to notice a strange noise from the engine (garrr...garrr...garrr). The noise is present while idle & also when the car is on the move.

Here is the background & some facts:
1) I drive 90% of the time within city.
2) I used to service my car @ MASS for first 5 years (i.e till 50000kms). I have always opted for 15w40 engine oil throughout the service periods.
3) I have been servicing my car in Lotus Motors (Bosch service center) on Mysore Road, Bangalore since last year. Infact the 60000kms service was done @ Lotus Motors. The service included EGR cleaning, engine flush, 5w30 engine oil (switched the grade only because they did not have 15w40) & the routine 60000kms service. Notice the change in engine oil grade from 15w40 to 5w30.
4) After the Odo hit 62000kms, one of the glow plug went kaput. The SA @ Lotus Motors suggested to change all 4 glow plugs but considering that would set me back by ~2.5k, went with replacing the faulty one alone.
5) I had done a top up of the engine oil with 15w40 (about 800ml) with odo @ 65000kms. Notice the mixing of oil grades, ~2.3 liters of 5w30 & 800ml of 15w40.

I took my car to Lotus Motors 2 days back with odo @ 67000kms & the SA mentioned that the strange engine noise is due to timing chain problem & that it needs to be replaced. If not replaced soon, it could severely damage the engine. The cost would be ~ Rs. 7k - Rs. 8k .

My queries are that:
1) I am not an expert of diesel engines but wouldn't timing chain last for lifetime of the engine ?
2) I read somewhere that change in engine oil grades could cause timing chain problem. So, my query is since I have driven only ~8000kms after changing the oil grade to 5w30, can the timing chain wear out so soon ? And would switching back to 15w40 solve the engine noise problem ?
3) Could changing only one glow plug instead of all 4 would have had its effect on timing chain ?
4) Could the mixing of oil grades 5w30 & 15w40 would have had its effects on timing chain ?
5) Any other tips or suggestions on over coming the engine noise ?
6) Is it really required to change the timing chain ?
The sound seems like a engine chain related sound though a timing chain change at 67k seems to early.

The timing chain is actually a lifetime component. However a lot of them are changed as a precaution after the 1 lakh mark depending on the noise.

I am not convinced about the relation between engine grades and timing chain failure. Engines these days are engineered will a lot of tolerance built in.

Glow plug change will not affect the timing chain. It's job is to heat the cylinder in diesel engine.

If you decide to go in for the change, ask them to give you back the replaced chain. The chain would be slightly longer that the new one. The chain tensioner is supposed to adjust according to the increase in length. It is usually when the chain lengthens beyond a certain point that the chain snaps.

Why don't you try flushing the oil and putting in new oil to see if the problem goes away. Why did you top up in the first place? Be cautious about overfilling as this could affect the turbo.

Do you have any pickup or mileage issues since you noticed the sound?
Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 17th May 2017 at 09:52.
Old 17th May 2017, 17:12   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The sound seems like a engine chain related sound though a timing chain change at 67k seems to early.

The timing chain is actually a lifetime component. However a lot of them are changed as a precaution after the 1 lakh mark depending on the noise.

I am not convinced about the relation between engine grades and timing chain failure. Engines these days are engineered will a lot of tolerance built in.

Glow plug change will not affect the timing chain. It's job is to heat the cylinder in diesel engine.

If you decide to go in for the change, ask them to give you back the replaced chain. The chain would be slightly longer that the new one. The chain tensioner is supposed to adjust according to the increase in length. It is usually when the chain lengthens beyond a certain point that the chain snaps.

Why don't you try flushing the oil and putting in new oil to see if the problem goes away. Why did you top up in the first place? Be cautious about overfilling as this could affect the turbo.

Do you have any pickup or mileage issues since you noticed the sound?
Drive on,
Shibu
Thanks Shibu.

By "flushing the oil" do you mean an engine flush or an oil change ? If its an oil change should I switch back to 15w40 ?

I normally do an oil level check every 4000-5000km & had noticed a dip in the oil level, hence the top up (have been doing this since last ~5yrs). I am pretty sure did not overfill.

I have not noticed any pickup or mileage issues since the strange noise. But I did notice, on a long drive recently, the engine refused to cross 80 kmph while accelerating continuously, but I could cross 80 kmph after giving it a breathing time of say ~2min before hitting 80 kmph again.
Old 17th May 2017, 18:50   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shibu.

By "flushing the oil" do you mean an engine flush or an oil change ? If its an oil change should I switch back to 15w40 ?

I normally do an oil level check every 4000-5000km & had noticed a dip in the oil level, hence the top up (have been doing this since last ~5yrs). I am pretty sure did not overfill.

I have not noticed any pickup or mileage issues since the strange noise. But I did notice, on a long drive recently, the engine refused to cross 80 kmph while accelerating continuously, but I could cross 80 kmph after giving it a breathing time of say ~2min before hitting 80 kmph again.
Sorry I meant an oil change. Using the 15w30 or the 15w40 should be fine I guess. Stick to the manufacturer recommended grades for safety. The w30 oil would have slightly less viscosity I believe.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 17th May 2017, 19:48   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Sorry I meant an oil change. Using the 15w30 or the 15w40 should be fine I guess. Stick to the manufacturer recommended grades for safety. The w30 oil would have slightly less viscosity I believe.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Thanks Shibu, will try an oil change. Also, is it recommended to go on a long drive with the strange engine noise ? I was planning for an oil change after another 2000kms, but would definitely not wait that long.

I have a long drive planned this weekend (500-600kms to & fro). I am wondering should I get the oil changed before or after the long drive. Any suggestions ?
Old 24th May 2017, 15:25   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shibu, will try an oil change. Also, is it recommended to go on a long drive with the strange engine noise ? I was planning for an oil change after another 2000kms, but would definitely not wait that long.

I have a long drive planned this weekend (500-600kms to & fro). I am wondering should I get the oil changed before or after the long drive. Any suggestions ?
Did you have an issues during the trip?

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks