Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: FIAT Palio 1.6 - 83000Kms update

any person who has changed Tbelt in a DOHC interference engine should be able to do it. if markings are not present - get it done before taking out the belt.

Wish both of you and Vijay - all the best. Vijay has loads of information on Palio - very informative posts on TBHP and Fiat Forum.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:00   #77
BHPian

AFAIK 1.6 engines doesnot come with any marking. Also the cam gears are not slotted with the cam shaft which means if the locking nut is loosened in the cam shaft the cam gears will turn freely.
Another way of doing is marking the old belt with a pen and count the number of teeths in the belt and draw the same on the new belt. In the new belt the teeth are slightly close to each other again you need to compromise one or two teeth.
There is other way of checking the timing is by locating exhaust port timing in 1st cylinder. so again the timing may mismatch with the inlet valve.

Again as I mentioned in yahoo groups forum, If 8 people wanted to change the timing belt the cost of the tool will split to just Rs 1000 per person. This is the best way and fool proof way of fixing the timing belt. A small mistake of 1 tooth off will have shaky idle as most of the 1.6 have this. So I will better wait till I got hold of the timing tools.

Regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

that is why i mentioned if markings are not present (as in it was in my car), you need to mark them before taking out the belt.
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
that is why i mentioned if markings are not present (as in it was in my car), you need to mark them before taking out the belt.
How you set your timing right if the previous belt has slipped by one tooth. You will be surprised if you got a chance to recheck the timing using the tool.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

i was not present at the time the belt was changed. Will check the timing once we are able to get hold of the tool.
Old 11th June 2011, 05:21   #81
BHPian

Hi All,

Yes it is called Aadya motors. Earlier it was Ebony Auto. And another yes to the fact that they use the cam locking tool to change the timing belts.

I got quite a lot of work done including changing brake discs, pads and all belts in the car. So far the car has done 2000 KMS post the work and no issues to complain about. No erratic idle or drop in power. The car is giving me better mileage though.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kiran.
lucifer919 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 19:41   #82
BHPian

Re: 60,000 KM Update :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
Hello People,

The car just clocked 60,000 Kms and its been fun to say the least. got some preventive maintainance done on the car at a new FIAT workshop in Bangalore.

Its called Ebony Automobiles and is on the outer rind road, near Manyata Tech. Park entrance. They did a good job and for once, i am completely satisfied with the work done.

Got the Oil changed (Shell Helix) as usual. also got all the belts on the car replaced. this includes the Timing belt, power steering, a/c and alternator belts. the tensioners for the said belts along with the pulleys were replaced. car feels brand new to drive and is silent as ever.

the Brake discs on the car were toast so got them changed with the brake pads. one of the Wheel cylinders for the front brakes was kaput so got both of them changed anyways.

Full transmission fluid replaced and so was the clutch/ brake fluid.

the cost of the above work was 18k in parts and 5k labor. Note, that out of 18k, 4k is for the Shell oil alone.

and coming to the end of it, i'm a happy camper raring to roar.

MODS: please update the thread title to 60000 KMs.

Thanks,
Kiran.

Hi Kiran
I have a Fiat Petra 1.6. I also need to change all the engine belts with their respective tensioners and pulleys
I have got an estimate of around 8500 for parts
It will be really helpful if you can send me a scanned copy of that bill when you carried out that work.
I can compare the prices and if they are inflated I can show your invoice copy and make them reduce the prices
I have also PM'ed you regarding this
Hope I am not asking for much
regards
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:21   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Hi Kiran
I have a Fiat Petra 1.6. I also need to change all the engine belts with their respective tensioners and pulleys
I have got an estimate of around 8500 for parts
It will be really helpful if you can send me a scanned copy of that bill when you carried out that work.
I can compare the prices and if they are inflated I can show your invoice copy and make them reduce the prices
I have also PM'ed you regarding this
Hope I am not asking for much
regards
Hi Rikhav,

i'm sorry but i just moved to a new place and don't have the bills handy just yet, but i can confirm that the amount quoted to you is quite accurate. if you don't want to replace the power steering and a/c belt, then the amount is reduced by about 1500 if i'm not mistaken. for just the timing belts the cost is 5500. note that this is only the cost of spares and labor may be extra.

Regards,
Kiran.
lucifer919 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:16   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rikhav,

i'm sorry but i just moved to a new place and don't have the bills handy just yet, but i can confirm that the amount quoted to you is quite accurate. if you don't want to replace the power steering and a/c belt, then the amount is reduced by about 1500 if i'm not mistaken. for just the timing belts the cost is 5500. note that this is only the cost of spares and labor may be extra.

Regards,
Kiran.
Hi Kiran
Yeah, you are right. 8500 is for the parts. For some reason they did not include the ac and steering belt in the estimate. Will call and tell them to add it.
Will update everyone once the work is done which will be probably by weekend

The most surprising part is that TATA managed workshop here in Mumbai says they don't work on the Palio. Be it palio, linea what difference should it make for them?
Infact if they encourage palio users, its more business for them. And only because of this attitude palio users started looking elsewhere to get their cars repaired
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:05   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rikhav,

Regards,
Kiran.
You mean cost of Timing belt is Rs 5500 or it includes idler bearing and tensioner? . It is always best to replace all belts and water pump on a go to avoid trouble for the next 60K
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:19   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
You mean cost of Timing belt is Rs 5500 or it includes idler bearing and tensioner? . It is always best to replace all belts and water pump on a go to avoid trouble for the next 60K

Timing belt - 2050
Timing tensioner - 1500
Timing idler - 2500

The price of the belt is a little bit high. I will ask them to reduce the price when I go to give the car.

Also, I am asked to pay advance and then only they can order the parts from the company
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:37   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Timing belt - 2050
Timing tensioner - 1500
Timing idler - 2500

The price of the belt is a little bit high. I will ask them to reduce the price when I go to give the car.

Also, I am asked to pay advance and then only they can order the parts from the company
I can see you are from mumbai. Why dont you directly source from Kava automobiles. The total cost would have come up just 30~40% of your overall cost.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:55   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I can see you are from mumbai. Why dont you directly source from Kava automobiles. The total cost would have come up just 30~40% of your overall cost.

Regards,
Vijay
I had a talk with Mr. Vijay (manager at Kawa) regarding the belts. He tells me he will remove all the belts and bearings from a brand new 1.6 engine and give it to me
So basically he does not have brand new packed parts and for critical parts of an engine I cannot take that risk.
Secondly, no FIAT A.S.S. is happy to do a job if you get the spares from outside and even If i dont wish I have to go to Fiat A.S.S. as they only will have the cam locking tools for timing belt change

I had asked for an estimate from Fortune and Bombay Cycle. Fortune Motors did not give me a written estimate and gave it to me on the phone. They quoted Rs. 5000 as labour charges for changing the timing belts which I feel is just too high

With Bombay Cycle part rates were reasonable when compares to Fortune (100 to 200 less then what Fortune quoted). Also Kiran (Lucifer) has posted that the charges for parts are almost same as he was charged. Only for the timing belt they quoted Rs. 2000 which is 500 more from others. Their labour charges are also reasonable at Rs. 1500

Bombay Cycle forgot to add the prices of steering and AC belt in the estimate. I am behind them since yesterday evening and the service advisor and store keeper are putting the blame on each other. Every time I have to call them and ask for an update. This is what i hate the most. Their attitude is so damn careless

Have made a complaint with the FIAT helpline. Lets see what it leads to

Last edited by rikhav : 22nd June 2011 at 13:57. Reason: TYPO
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:14   #89
BHPian

What I heard is they do have new OEM parts such as timing belts from Tyco, german tensioner pulley which is made of plastic, steel tensioner pulley. I may be wrong.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:26   #90
BHPian

Quote:
What I heard is they do have new OEM parts such as timing belts from Tyco, german tensioner pulley which is made of plastic, steel tensioner pulley. I may be wrong.

Regards,
Vijay
Will contact them and ask them about it. I had inquired with them about 6 months ago

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks