Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 12:50   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy

Now for the second issue. After only a year and a half of use, the AC buttons on the HVAC panel had started to peel off. The surface finish was peeling off in frequently used buttons, and it was a real eyesore. After some communication with BMW, I got this replaced under warranty. If I am not mistaken, member contagoback also had the same issue and had his HVAC panel replaced similarly, a few days after mine. Navnit BMW was helpful in getting this done.

I am personally quite appalled that something like this should happen on such an expensive car. My Corolla's buttons are just about now starting to peel off after 7 years of rigorous use. Why should this happen in the first place? Add to that, the hefty bill of ~30k for replacement and the labour involved. It better not happen again with the panel. I am most certainly not in the mood to accept mediocre materials from a manufacturer of such repute as BMW.
Old 10th April 2012, 09:46   #302
BHPian

I am quite surprised to see so many quality related issues with Bimmers. In fact i have so far had the best experience with this marquee but that could also be due to the fact that I usually sell my cars in 2 years. So maybe if I were to hold onto them for a while longer perhaps these sorts of issues would creep up??!!??

So far amongst the three German Majors I have been most disappointed with the Mercs when it comes to quality of fit and finish. I mean the horns stop working, the doors start making noises, engine refuses to start up - all this in a car that's done under 11k Kms and is less than 1.5 years old!!

Note From Team BHP Support Team: Please stick to the topic. Let's not turn this thread into a brand war. Also, smiley usage is restricted to TWO per post.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th April 2012 at 01:07. Reason: See note in post :)
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:40   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
After only a year and a half of use, the AC buttons on the HVAC panel had started to peel off.
Here are the pictures, to give all a clear idea or what I was talking about.

Before:

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-img_1256-medium.jpg

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-img_1257-medium.jpg

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-img_1258-medium.jpg

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-img_1259-medium.jpg

And after replacement of the panel:

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-img_0144-medium.jpg

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-img_0145-medium.jpg

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-img_0146-medium.jpg

In other news, the car showed an oil change necessary and was promptly sent to the workshop for a quick flush. We are at about 35,000 km.
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:47   #304
Team-BHP Support

You might find the steering hub peeling also - happened on my cousins X5
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:09   #305
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for your positive thoughts, Ajit well no such thing noticed yet. Let's see. I hope we don't.
Old 24th April 2012, 08:50   #306
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur

Before:

And after replacement of the panel:

In other news, the car showed an oil change necessary and was promptly sent to the workshop for a quick flush. We are at about 35,000 km.
What the hell is wrong with bmw quality? This is simply unacceptable. If this happened to my car I would be really screaming.
Old 24th April 2012, 10:45   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this something common with the soft-touch plastics in Euro cars?
One of the member mentioned similar issues on his Jetta (previous gen.). He had posted the pictures as well. Not able to recollect which specific thread it was in.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:40   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
What the hell is wrong with bmw quality? This is simply unacceptable. If this happened to my car I would be really screaming.
I was simply interested in getting it replaced. If it happens again, I may consider screaming. Generally, getting the point across calmly gets the job done. They are a good bunch, the BMW chaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is this something common with the soft-touch plastics in Euro cars?
One of the member mentioned similar issues on his Jetta (previous gen.). He had posted the pictures as well. Not able to recollect which specific thread it was in.
No other cases that I'm aware of. Although ajmat's post above indicates that these things do occur here and there.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:53   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure someone did'nt try cleaning / polishing the dash with some chemical / polish etc. The same thing happened on my MB280 Cdi when I had given it for detailing at a local petrol pump in colaba. Luckily the guy realized the problem quickly and didnt use it any further than the light switch near the ignition slot. Really pains me everytime I look at it. Swore never to send my car again to these so called detailing experts after that.

Also have a 2007 X5, no such problems on that. Infact the interiors still look as good as new.

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 13:21. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 25th April 2012, 15:57   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Are you sure someone did'nt try cleaning / polishing the dash with some chemical / polish etc. The same thing happened on my MB280 Cdi when I had given it for detailing at a local petrol pump in colaba.
This is exactly what the workshop asked me to begin with. Fact is, I've never given the car for interior detailing tilld ate (it's long overdue, but just don't get the time). Even when I do send my other cars, I tell them to make the seats and other surfaces spick and span, but be very gentle and merely dust the buttons, nothing else. I need my interiors to be clean, not shine.

Furthermore, it was very clear that the only buttons that had worn out were ones that were frequently in use, such as the blower speed buttons. If it was a cleansing agent, all buttons or most buttons would have shown a haphazard pattern of wear. A no-brainer, really.
Old 25th April 2012, 16:10   #311
BHPian

The days when German cars used to be the last word in quality are unfortunately past us as seen in the many posts. At least BMW seems to be paying heed to their customers though some of their practices like not providing reports to customers with BSI are downright baffling...
Old 25th April 2012, 16:32   #312
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal
The days when German cars used to be the last word in quality are unfortunately past us as seen in the many posts. At least BMW seems to be paying heed to their customers though some of their practices like not providing reports to customers with BSI are downright baffling...
I very much disagree with you. I have driven Indian, Italian, American, Korean, Japanese cars but nothing comes close to german engg. I agree there may be a few issues but the overall package overshadows that!!
Old 25th April 2012, 16:40   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
I very much disagree with you. I have driven Indian, Italian, American, Korean, Japanese cars but nothing comes close to german engg. I agree there may be a few issues but the overall package overshadows that!!
Will be more than happy to be proven wrong, just that have been hearing a lot of complaints recently.
Old 25th April 2012, 16:43   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Now for the second issue. After only a year and a half of use, the AC buttons on the HVAC panel had started to peel off. The surface finish was peeling off in frequently used buttons, and it was a real eyesore. After some communication with BMW, I got this replaced under warranty. If I am not mistaken, member contagoback also had the same issue and had his HVAC panel replaced similarly, a few days after mine. Navnit BMW was helpful in getting this done.
Buttons in my F10d has the same kind of wear in 2 years and 21k kms :(

Glad to know they're changing the panel under warranty
Old 25th April 2012, 17:01   #315
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly what the workshop asked me to begin with. Fact is, I've never given the car for interior detailing tilld ate (it's long overdue, but just don't get the time). Even when I do send my other cars, I tell them to make the seats and other surfaces spick and span, but be very gentle and merely dust the buttons, nothing else. I need my interiors to be clean, not shine.

Furthermore, it was very clear that the only buttons that had worn out were ones that were frequently in use, such as the blower speed buttons. If it was a cleansing agent, all buttons or most buttons would have shown a haphazard pattern of wear. A no-brainer, really.
From your pics, it looks more like a paint smudge than fade due to usage. Anyway, atleast you got the dealer to change the buttons for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks