Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 20:20   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Niiiiiiiiiceee Hope you pick one up soon. There's not much happening with my car, the biggest thing was the switch to regular tubeless which is highlighted in my previous post. Car has crosses 6,000 km now, miles and miles of JOY. We're actually using this one really slowly compared to the rest of our cars, it should have crossed about 9,000 by now, considering it's already been 5 months.

wow u sure do seem to have lots of self control ! I need to borrow some of that. i just cant seem to keep my hands off the audi ! Come nightfall, and i am pulled towards her. need to slow down
Old 20th August 2010, 10:12   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
wow u sure do seem to have lots of self control ! I need to borrow some of that. i just cant seem to keep my hands off the audi ! Come nightfall, and i am pulled towards her. need to slow down
Boss you've put me in splits. I don't know whether to laugh over your RTO thread or this comment above
Old 20th August 2010, 11:02   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss you've put me in splits. I don't know whether to laugh over your RTO thread or this comment above

BOTH ! Sarcasm & doublemeaningness at its peak !

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 20th August 2010 at 11:05.
Old 21st August 2010, 17:14   #229
Senior - BHPian

Tired of people in the house complaining about the non-existence of any boot space, I decided to utilize my Saturday to stop it once and for all. Actually I don't blame them, I should have done it the day I got the spare itself

Presenting my elegant solution for the space saver.

Things needed : Nothing really. Just a plastic bag and the stepney cover for a rear-mounted spare of any MUV / SUV (cost : Rs.100/-)

Before (no wonder folks were complaining!) :

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-photo0972.jpg

Step 1 : Toss the cardboard box.

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-photo0978.jpg

Step 2 : Wrap the space saver kit with polythene (this is for when I have to put in one of the actual tyres - while running on the spare - which would be really dirty) :

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-photo0979.jpg

Step 3 : Slip on the "Armada" or whatever tyre cover. Voila. Tons of boot space freed up.

After :

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-photo0980.jpg

Practically, putting the space inside the boot costs you about one bag, tops. Very small price to pay, I'd say. This is for those of you who reject this car due to the lack of a spare / thought of putting a spare in the boot etc.

Now I have to find some bungee cords to keep this thing in place, I was too preoccupied with other stuff to do that today. The boot has enough hooks for me to achieve this as well.

Will keep you guys updated.
FlyingSpur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2010, 18:16   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Before (no wonder folks were complaining!) :
Seriously! The first thing we noticed when you showed us the space saver was that the box + plastics took up the entire boot.

Now it looks quite nice n neat and saves a lot of space as well. A saturday well spent

Would bungee cords be enough to secure the space saver? Have you thought of a cargo net?
Old 21st August 2010, 18:37   #231
Senior - BHPian

@flyingspur - why don't you try some ingenious use of velcro?
Old 21st August 2010, 19:07   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Seriously! The first thing we noticed when you showed us the space saver was that the box + plastics took up the entire boot.
It just took up visual space. Once when I had to pick up Dad from the airport I took this one on purpose instead of old faithful, just to prove that it could still swallow bags, and it did. But either ways, this was needed, yes.

Quote:
Would bungee cords be enough to secure the space saver? Have you thought of a cargo net?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
@flyingspur - why don't you try some ingenious use of velcro?
Actually I don't understand what's the big deal with securing it down in the first place. What if I just leave it this way, what's wrong? I mean, think of it as just another bag. Or are there hazards which I fail to understand here? It doesn't bounce about, it hasn't been doing so in the past month or so that I've had it in that box.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st August 2010 at 19:08.
Old 21st August 2010, 19:15   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I don't understand what's the big deal with securing it down in the first place. What if I just leave it this way, what's wrong? I mean, think of it as just another bag. Or are there hazards which I fail to understand here? It doesn't bounce about, it hasn't been doing so in the past month or so that I've had it in that box.
If it doesn't move around - fair enough. Just leave it the way it is. That way you retain the flexibility to move it around the boot to fir in other bags.
Old 21st August 2010, 19:29   #234
BHPian

Flying spur- This reminds me of Indian innovation at its very best (Jugaad)
Was reading a few days ago in the Eco times about it & now i see a true life example !

The before & after pics show how neat it has turned out, congrats !

BMW should seriously think of giving something like this along with the space saver kit. Would make the customer truly happy from the aesthetic & usefulness point of view !
Old 21st August 2010, 23:58   #235
BHPian

Quote:
It just took up visual space.
True, mostly the plastics were taking up all available space, but the packaging you've done now is good

Quote:
Theory goes that in emergency braking any loose heavy object could fly forward and cause injury and your spare wheel is always going to be there in the car. Sure, it doesn't move around in normal driving, but you gotta be prepared. Check out the tips given by the AA on stowing large/heavy objects in your car.

My Wagon R Vxi was later refitted on dad's request with the companies LPG kit which took up the spare wheel well. So I prevailed upon the Navnit Workshop Manager to weld the WagonR Duo spare wheel holder onto my car so the spare can be bolted securely.

Ofcourse mine's a hatchback with nothing separating the boot area and cabin so I thought it more pertinent to batten it down.

Last edited by gomzi : 22nd August 2010 at 00:01.
Old 22nd August 2010, 02:47   #236
Senior - BHPian

Gautam, thanks for that. Gave it a read.

Quote:
Heavy items in the boot (cases of wine/beer, DIY materials) should be pushed tight up against the back of the back seat to reduce the risk of them bursting through in a crash. Pushing heavy items as far forwards as possible gives better weight distribution and handling too.
According to me my tyre is way heavier than what those guys have called "heavy objects". Secondly, the tyre has always been stored exactly as shown in the pic; way forward touching the back of the seat, and usually there's something in between the seat and the loading bay, so it stays in place. I think I should be fine, but I'll try to think of some solution somewhere if I can.
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:39   #237
BHPian

BMW still does'nt learn. The new 5 series ( F10 ), has the same problem where there is no wheel well/ room for the space saver tyre.

The E60 - 5 series had a provision to store the space saver.
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:26   #238
BHPian

Quote:
I think I should be fine, but I'll try to think of some solution somewhere if I can.
Yup, I guess ur ok on that count, if the seat backing is something solid. The cars we've owned have had no seat backing worth the name, some thick cardboard only at max, not even enough to fix an amp on

Ofcourse, the beemer should have something more substantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
BMW still does'nt learn. The new 5 series ( F10 ), has the same problem where there is no wheel well/ room for the space saver tyre.
Pardon my ignorance, but do Mercs come with runflats as standard? If so do they have a wheel well in the boot of their cars?

Last edited by gomzi : 22nd August 2010 at 15:30.
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:42   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Shocked to hear this! BMW has deifnitely taken a step backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Yup, I guess ur ok on that count, if the seat backing is something solid. Ofcourse, the beemer should have something more substantial.
Errr no actually I don't think so. Damn.

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but do Mercs come with runflats as standard? If so do they have a wheel well in the boot of their cars?
They run regular tubeless, no RFT nonsense. There is a recess in the boot like in any other car for the spare, but I don't know if it's a space saver or a full-size steel rim. I saw an ML yesterday with a boot-mounted fifth alloy spare.
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:13   #240
Senior - BHPian

RFTs and Indian owners

Hi Flyingspur,

Probably the single most important complaint that BMW would have heard of in India is the case of the RFT (run-flat tyre). I am sure you would have also put in your displeasure about it. What do they have to say?

"We don't care if Indians don't like RFTs, this is how we sell cars"???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks