Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2010, 19:23   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
"We don't care if Indians don't like RFTs, this is how we sell cars"???
No they give the usual safety BS.
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:12   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
They run regular tubeless, no RFT nonsense. There is a recess in the boot like in any other car for the spare, but I don't know if it's a space saver or a full-size steel rim. I saw an ML yesterday with a boot-mounted fifth alloy spare.
Oh, thats strange then. After my last post, I went around to a local mall to meet up with friends. In the car park I saw a new E 350, so decided to check out the tyres and post my reply on this thread. Guess what, it had Bridgestone RFT's! I think they may be available as an option and this owner took that option.

Edit; tried confirming this from the merc india website, but couldn't find any mention of tyres.

Quote:
No they give the usual safety BS.
And going by typical german efficient logic, since you have RFT's, you dont need a spare wheel and therefore no need to put extra cost and effort into putting in a spare wheel well in the boot

Last edited by gomzi : 23rd August 2010 at 00:21.
Old 5th September 2010, 18:26   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
In the car park I saw a new E 350, so decided to check out the tyres and post my reply on this thread. Guess what, it had Bridgestone RFT's! I think they may be available as an option and this owner took that option.
The owner is a retard, then. I can't think of one good reason why RFTs should be picked over regular tubeless. It's like volunteering for syphilis.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:28   #244
BHPian

My bro is looking to buy a 3 series or a C-Class. When I told him about RFTs, he enquired with the showroom guys. They seem to have told him that punctured RFTs can be fixed the same way as tubeless tyres.

I now need a clarification from the owners if they are simply crapping around.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:58   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
My bro is looking to buy a 3 series or a C-Class. When I told him about RFTs, he enquired with the showroom guys. They seem to have told him that punctured RFTs can be fixed the same way as tubeless tyres.

I now need a clarification from the owners if they are simply crapping around.
Yes they can indeed be repaired the someway as tubeless,anywhere!

They are crappy for comfort. But safer than tubeless.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:16   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
They seem to have told him that punctured RFTs can be fixed the same way as tubeless tyres.
Yes, they can. But there's a problem with that.

*may I quote from GTO's 525d review*

Quote:
The maximum distance that you can drive on a runflat puncture is either 240 kms (Driver + 1 passenger), 145 kms (Driver + 3 passengers) or 48 kms (Driver + 4 passengers + luggage). All of this at a maximum speed of 80 kph.
After you run this distance, you will have to replace your RFT and it cannot be repaired. I'm assuming driving 5-10 km on a punctured RFT several times is just as bad.

Why don't you have a look at the previous page of this thread, I've uploaded pictures of my solution to the RFT problem. Total cost involved is 20k as long as you trade in the RFT for tubeless on delivery (which would usually happen at cost, so no additional expenditure).
Old 5th September 2010, 20:47   #247
Senior - BHPian

What if something like this happens .http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2056392-post201.html .

Aren't RFTs made to prevent exactly the above?
Old 5th September 2010, 20:59   #248
Senior - BHPian

Though I do not own a BMW. The main reason being the RFT's..Why can't BMW learn to provide a spare & tubeless tyres as do all their competitors. There is no rocket science as far as I understand.

BMW capturing the market & being the NUMERO UNO - still got to learn the basics I guess.

Brilliant car, BAD choice of tyres. Wake up BMW or should waka waka work better !!!

Cheerio
Old 5th September 2010, 21:56   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
What if something like this happens .http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2056392-post201.html .

Aren't RFTs made to prevent exactly the above?
I think if the car was running on RFT the result would still have been the same, because the RFT sidewall is much harder but that's about it. The nail cut through the contact surface of the tyre, right?

The ride with the RFTs is so pathetic, and the RFT concept has so many limitations for our use, that I had no choice but to make the switch. The only way to make tyres safe is to go back to what was before the concept of tubed tyres was introduced.

If BMW is so stubborn about the safety factor, I also wonder why the M3 is manufactured with regular tubeless tyres instead of RFTs. If anything, that manic machine needs all the tyre safety it can accommodate.

At our end, we can only drive at sane speeds instead of being overly optimistic about our abilities.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:07   #250
BANNED

Being a 2010 320d owner myself, clocked 7000 kms and I can say that RFT's arent as bad as you are saying. I have done speeds of over 220 Km/hr and I was very confident atleast about my safe tyres.

Can you please prove that m3 comes with standard tubeless tyres?

Quote:
I think if the car was running on RFT the result would still have been the same, because the RFT sidewall is much harder but that's about it. The nail cut through the contact surface of the tyre, right?

The ride with the RFTs is so pathetic, and the RFT concept has so many limitations for our use, that I had no choice but to make the switch. The only way to make tyres safe is to go back to what was before the concept of tubed tyres was introduced.

If BMW is so stubborn about the safety factor, I also wonder why the M3 is manufactured with regular tubeless tyres instead of RFTs. If anything, that manic machine needs all the tyre safety it can accommodate.

At our end, we can only drive at sane speeds instead of being overly optimistic about our abilities.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:05   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
Being a 2010 320d owner myself, clocked 7000 kms and I can say that RFT's arent as bad as you are saying. I have done speeds of over 220 Km/hr and I was very confident atleast about my safe tyres.

Thats it ?????????? Only 220 ??? Why not more ??? push it more then ! You seem to be such a great driver that you might even be successful in deceiving the electronic limiter !!!
For god's sake, what sense does emphasizing so much on speed make ??? The general idea is, RFTs are a pain and terribly inconvenient with pathetic ride quality. If ever needed to replace ,they cost a BOMB ! The RFT issue itself could be a deal breaker for tons of prospective Beemer customers. I, for instance was interested in the f10 5 before we landed up on the Audi and somehow ,after learning about the lack of boot space for a spare in the F10 ,i got a sense of relief of not having to go through the ordeal of changing tyres etc. with the Audi .Moving around with RFTs and NO spare would surely have been a headache.
Anyways i dont think Maximum speed attained or high speed grip is being discussed here so please be gracious enough to spare us

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 6th September 2010 at 10:08.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:32   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

No one is talking about the grip or the high speed holding on the RFT's. flyingspur is talking about the poor ride.

Can you prove that the M3 comes with RFT's? I had a look at the M3's specs again and I no mention of RFT's.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:00   #253
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
No one is talking about the grip or the high speed holding on the RFT's. flyingspur is talking about the poor ride.

Can you prove that the M3 comes with RFT's? I had a look at the M3's specs again and I no mention of RFT's.
Sir, I am not talking about the grip or speed holding either. All I am trying to say is the ride quality is fine plus the safety they offer. What if you have a Tyre burst at 200+????

Even I will downgrade: to tubeless tyres because of the high cost of RFT's. But remember its a downgrade not an upgrade,

I may be wrong about the M3 RFT, since I dont own one. Thx

Last edited by taranonline : 6th September 2010 at 11:01.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:30   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sir, I am not talking about the grip or speed holding either. All I am trying to say is the ride quality is fine plus the safety they offer. What if you have a Tyre burst at 200+????

Even I will downgrade: to tubeless tyres because of the high cost of RFT's. But remember its a downgrade not an upgrade,

I may be wrong about the M3 RFT, since I dont own one. Thx
If i remember correctly you are in Chandigarh. The roads over there are quite a bit smoother than Bombay where flyinspur is. So for you the ride quality must be fine, but over here with runflats it can be quite irritating at times.

If you do high speeds all the time then yes, runflats do make sense for you. And in that case id say no need for you to change to tubeless.

But as long as you buy high quality tubeless tyres with the correct speed rating and maintain them properly I dont think they would burst.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:33   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
All I am trying to say is the ride quality is fine plus the safety they offer. What if you have a Tyre burst at 200+????
If you regularly do over 200 kmph, then I suggest you stick with the RFTs. We don't, so they're pathetic for our use. Usage preferences are obviously unique to each owner. If the RFTs suit you, then by all means stick with them. My father, age over 50, is the primary user of this vehicle. He is neither going to 200 kmph, nor does he appreciate a rock hard ride unsettling his backbone.

Quote:
What's there to prove? It doesn't. Either ways I'll double check with Karl, but I'm pretty sure of it. Ask your BMW workshop rep the next time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks