Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 11:15   #106
BHPian

Re: New Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T EDIT : Customising with a VAG-COM

Wow! Thats some really awesome stuff you have done to your laura there!

You been able to try anything on a Polo 1.6 yet?
Even on international forums, people havent really toyed around with the VCDS though auto locking/ unlocking seems to be certain.

Also, the MY11 models skip out on convenience window roll/ down from the keys and auto roll down of driver's window! Do you think activating those too will be possible?
Old 2nd April 2011, 00:12   #107
Awaiting Email Confirmation

UPDATE:

Got white lights for the low beams. The light looks just like HID Xenons but the intensity is of no comparison. Heck! It looks nice! No extra wiring, no ballasts, no relays, nothing. Simple bulb replacement. Also put white light bulbs for the sidelights.

The orange LEDs i have ordered for the parking lights / sidelights are in transit and i should receive those in about 7 days. Then the sidelights will be orange and low beams 'xenon'. I think i'll use the white bulbs that i have currently used for the sidelights, as my puddle lights. Should look good, let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
Wow! Thats some really awesome stuff you have done to your laura there!

You been able to try anything on a Polo 1.6 yet?
Even on international forums, people havent really toyed around with the VCDS though auto locking/ unlocking seems to be certain.

Also, the MY11 models skip out on convenience window roll/ down from the keys and auto roll down of driver's window! Do you think activating those too will be possible?
Hey, i dont know buddy. I tried to do it on my cousin's Polo 1.2 but couldnt connect to the controllers. I dont know what the problem was but i think it should be fixed in the next software update. If you're located in Mumbai, we could try it on your car.

Last edited by Akki_5 : 2nd April 2011 at 00:37. Reason: replying
Old 2nd April 2011, 00:36   #108

Some photos with the white lights:
Attached Thumbnails
New Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T EDIT : Customising with a VAG-COM-img_0593.jpg  

New Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T EDIT : Customising with a VAG-COM-img_0594.jpg  

New Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T EDIT : Customising with a VAG-COM-img_0595.jpg  

New Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T EDIT : Customising with a VAG-COM-img_0596.jpg  

New Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T EDIT : Customising with a VAG-COM-img_0597.jpg  

New Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T EDIT : Customising with a VAG-COM-img_0598.jpg  

New Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T EDIT : Customising with a VAG-COM-img_0599.jpg  

New Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T EDIT : Customising with a VAG-COM-img_0600.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2011, 12:58   #109
BANNED

Slightly OT: Has your FE improved Akki? What figures do you get in Bombay traffic these days with the Ac on?
What about the highway?

How many kms has your Laura clocked? Anything not so nice that you might feel or want to report?
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:17   #110

FE may have improved slightly but still nothing to write about. My daily drive is about 2.5 kms (one side) that takes me anywhere between 15-60 mins depending on traffic. I drive with 100% AC and get about 7-8 kmpl. On the same route, Octy gives about 11 kmpl.
On highways, Laura gives 11-13.5 kmpl depending on how its driven. Octavia gives 15-18 kmpl in similar conditions.
Laura has done approx 30k in 20 months. No issues with the car yet.
Old 4th April 2011, 10:26   #111
BHPian

Hi Akki,

Which brand bulbs you have used, are these H7? I have a fabia elegance (old) one, which has projector and I am struggling with the lights....
Old 5th April 2011, 01:26   #112

Hey
The bulbs i have installed are Philips Crystal Vision H7 (approx Rs. 1200 for a pair of low beams - H7; w5w sidelights - complimentary). But i must caution you that the light intensity is nothing great. Infact, i think the stock bulbs had better intensity of light. However, the throw is better with these bulbs. It's just about decent for city driving.

Last edited by Akki_5 : 5th April 2011 at 01:26. Reason: typo
Old 10th April 2011, 08:11   #113
BHPian

Hey Akki_5,

Love this thread and the work you've done. Been following it for a bit now. I was wondering would any of the mods you've done by playing around with the codes on the ECU be possible on cars like the ANHC or the Corolla Altis? Is it possible to enable something like needle sweep on the ANHC or Altis, if you may know?

I know they obviously won't use the same software, but is there something similar available anywhere? Also, what affect would doing something like this have on the warranty?

And lastly, do you think a dealer would agree to carry out such work at some cost? (E.g- Enabling features like needle sweep, auto-lock, etc).

Cheers,
fordfreak
Old 10th April 2011, 14:57   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I know they obviously won't use the same software, but is there something similar available anywhere? Also, what affect would doing something like this have on the warranty?

And lastly, do you think a dealer would agree to carry out such work at some cost? (E.g- Enabling features like needle sweep, auto-lock, etc).
Let me tell you what I know. The warranty will certainly be void if the dealer finds it out that there has been an attempt to modify the car's electronics.

A dealer would never carry out such modifications "officially". I also doubt if they have this level of technical interest and expertise.
Old 10th April 2011, 16:34   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Hey Akki_5,

Love this thread and the work you've done. Been following it for a bit now. I was wondering would any of the mods you've done by playing around with the codes on the ECU be possible on cars like the ANHC or the Corolla Altis? Is it possible to enable something like needle sweep on the ANHC or Altis, if you may know?

Cheers,
fordfreak
Hey, thanks! Nah mate, never tried to do any research for any Jap. Most of our cars are German so i generally read on that. This software won't work on Honda or Toyota and i really don't know if there is any other software specific for those cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Let me tell you what I know. The warranty will certainly be void if the dealer finds it out that there has been an attempt to modify the car's electronics.

A dealer would never carry out such modifications "officially". I also doubt if they have this level of technical interest and expertise.
The dealer wouldn't really know. Another guy on this thread posted that the dealer was ready to tune his Skoda Laura for a mere 300 bucks. All i can say to that is "BEWARE"! You don't want to let those guys mess with your car's electronics. No doubt, they are trained, but that's only for diagnostics not for coding. Also, a BHPian had paid 1500 bucks just to get Auto-Lock for his Laura from the dealer; the dealer took the money, couldn't do the auto-lock and it was quite some time when he got his money back. Why take all the headache?!
Old 10th April 2011, 16:47   #116
BHPian

Thanks guys . Will not fiddle around with the electronics since it affects the warranty. Will give you a shout again if I end up getting a Vento/Jetta/Laura sometime in June-July. :P

Cheers,
fordfreak
Old 29th April 2011, 03:18   #117
BHPian

Hi, Akki

i have been following your work on laura for quite some time now and i have to say that it is really amazing to see the depths that you and anandji have reached.

just want to ask you that while playing with the car's computer, have you looked into remapping the ECU for a better performance?

and could you please tell me the place from where you bought the VCDS software and cable?
i am also in the experimental stage and i don't want to spend 30k for this software just now...

btw i own a Laura TSI Ambiente

Thanks
VARUN
Old 30th April 2011, 01:19   #118

Hi Varun, i don't think you can alter / remap ECU with VCDS. This software is for diagnostics and altering coding permitted / made available by Skoda.
You can buy the cable online from Ross-Tech, USA. It will be about 400-500 USD + taxes + import duties + customs + shipping + blah blah.
If you need more info, feel free to ask.
Cheers
Old 30th April 2011, 02:01   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Hi Varun, i don't think you can alter / remap ECU with VCDS. This software is for diagnostics and altering coding permitted / made available by Skoda.
You can buy the cable online from Ross-Tech, USA. It will be about 400-500 USD + taxes + import duties + customs + shipping + blah blah.
If you need more info, feel free to ask.
Cheers
u forgot to mention, you got to buy BALLS to do the coding
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:05   #120
BHPian

thanks, but Ross-tech is providing software free for download. So, what are the 450$ for , the cable? and the cable is available easily for 8k to 9k INR on ebay. What is the difference in Ross-Tech and that?

and as for the coding, i just want to turn on some features in the car like needle swap, DRLs etc. so i want a software and hardware for that only.

for ECU remap, i just wanted to know if you had looked into that because i am already in contact with guys from superchips, revo, pete and they say that ECU was changed in the 2010 models so there is no standard coding for the new ECU. But it will come out but after some time.

anyways my main question is what is the difference between a Ross-Tech cable and a local cable from ebay? and if i get the cable, can i use it with free software on ross-tech site to alter the features that i mentioned above?

@berj - i did buy a skoda so no scarcity of balls here..lolz

thanks

Most Viewed