Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 08:49   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Saturday morning spirited drive!

Woke up at my usual early hour and decided quite impulsively to take Fraulein out for a spin. Weather was cool and dry, just the odd drizzle here and there, so headed out towards Katraj on the Bangalore highway.

No photographs sorry. It would be a little risky, not to mention I would have had to compormise on the sheer thrill of the drive.

51 km covered in drive time of 50 minutes, average speed: 62 kmph, FE= 12.7, peak speed: 150 (momentarily, speedo reading). Bliss!

Some random observations:
  • The number of broken down trucks in the left lane is not funny. When are we going to have some serious roadworthiness tests for those ancient lumbering monsters?
  • I don't get these cars being driven in the fast lane at 50 kmph and their stubborn refusal to move over when someone wants to overtake. Two fully-loaded Altos (kids and all, probably a weekend Mahabi trip), an i20 being driven by a yung guy probably on a cellphone and a Swift Vdi- the latter two actually preventing me from overtaking before I finally lost patience, kicked down and overtook from left with a monstrus shrieky roar that only the petrol Vento at 6000 rpm can deliver . Maybe it gets me on the bad drivers thread, but they asked for it!
  • On the plus side, the drive was exhilarating. The Katraj tunnel never fails to move me, a marvel of mechanical engineering: a tunnel hewn out of mountains, man's ultimate triumph over nature!
  • The return stretch was much emptier and I was able to rip on the part of the highway between Katraj and the first river bridge. There are no cuts in the road and one side is flanked by hills, so it's relatively safe and offers excellent visibility as well. I hit the ton-and-a-half mark on this stretch.
  • I wanted to test a hypothesis and think I succeeded: this car LOVES to rip: I kept my foot grounded to the pedal almost throughout the return trip (onward was more sedate), in S mode, and redlined it more than a couple of times. FE displayed on the MID= 12.7 kmpl (probably around 12 kmpl accounting for standard error). It's only when I do stop-and-go in bumper-to-bumper conditions that the FE drops alarmingly.
  • Thanked my stars I chose this over the ANHC. Possibly spending more on fuel and (will) on maintenance, but the ride and handling are WAY superior. This baby corners like she's on rails. Despite a lot of griping from other Vento owners, I actually like the steering feel, think it is very solid, especially at higher speeds.
  • Overall, a great way to start the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@Noopster- Can you live with the harsh ride(only read-never had a chance to sit in a B&W) of B&Ws after paying so much?

Don't like SUVs? Worth considering the soon to come Audi Q3,with a no.of 3333?Roughly same price range as the Passat/Superb/Accord.
Wow my Vento is not quite 6 months old and you're already suggesting my next car? I haven't yet driven a Bimmer, but love the solid feel of my German babe, and imagine the BMW will be a much more enhanced version of the same experience? Frankly the runflats scare me more than this.
I had no idea the Q3 was due for launch- that'd be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Don't give up on your dreams , include the Audi in it to make it even more colourful
Thanks mate! Dreams are what makes life worth living. I am a big fan of the A4 and A6 but they seem a little overpriced to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
The Vento looks great in the showers. The white stands out when wet!

I would have loved to see you in your excercise clothes, walking shoes, Strawberry umbrella and a BB in hand. Man, that would have been a pic to cherish .
You wish! Yeah, white really makes it glow in the sheen of rainwater. Am waxing poetic, hope I don't lose my audience. That morning drive has put me in that sort of mood.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 09:05   #332
Team-BHP Support

Re: Saturday morning spirited drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Woke up at my usual early hour and decided quite impulsively to take Fraulein out for a spin. Weather was cool and dry, just the odd drizzle here and there, so headed out towards Katraj on the Bangalore highway.
No photographs sorry. It would be a little risky, not to mention I would have had to compormise on the sheer thrill of the drive.
That’s a nice way to start the weekend! And happy that you did not take any photos. At times I feel cameras rob the fun of travel
Old 16th July 2011, 11:39   #333
Senior - BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 9000 km update"

Wow, what a way to start the weekend. The drive should have been exhilarating to say the least! Its drives like these that helps us keep our sanity leveles in check, specially after start/stop traffic in Hinjewadi, I suppose.
Good going man! The needle at 150 must have been a sight to remember for ages.
Old 16th July 2011, 13:54   #334
BHPian

Re: Saturday morning spirited drive!

Quote:
Aha, long drive on an impulse! Only the rainy season and Vento can do that to you! Like you said before.

Quote:
I wanted to test a hypothesis and think I succeeded: this car LOVES to rip
Ripping, it loves for sure. The TDI too roars happily when you floor it! The feeling is exhilarating!

Quote:
Despite a lot of griping from other Vento owners, I actually like the steering feel, think it is very solid, especially at higher speeds.
Actually I too agree with you completely. The steering is absolutely solid at higher speeds and adequately light at crawling speeds. Don't know what gripe other Vento owners have!
Old 16th July 2011, 15:30   #335
BHPian

Quote:
  • On the plus side, the drive was exhilarating. The Katraj tunnel never fails to move me, a marvel of mechanical engineering: a tunnel hewn out of mountains, man's ultimate triumph over nature
Dude, Dont you mean Civil Engineering??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Wow, what a way to start the weekend. The drive should have been exhilarating to say the least! Its drives like these that helps us keep our sanity leveles in check, specially after start/stop traffic in Hinjewadi, I suppose.
Good going man! The needle at 150 must have been a sight to remember for ages.
Yeah 150 sounds like good fun I have tried once to go till 160 on my vento. But the most exciting time was when I had touched 180 on my verna and didn't even realize it. Do you remember that picture Swanand?
subodh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 22:21   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Big day for the Fraulein: two impulse trips in one day! After the solo flight this morning, headed up to Pirangut en famile to check out a project. The weather was just fantastic, so asked the missus whether she up was up for a drive to Lavasa. She didn't seem that keen at first but I was waxing eloquent about how great the drive is with the twisties and everything, so she agreed.

It got really foggy up there. The joker in the Wagon R had his hazards flashing which was annoying me no end. Finally risked it and overtook him on the Dasve road.

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0356.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0357.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0358.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0359.jpg

Stopped by the side of the road to take some pics...
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0361.jpg

...and admire nature
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0367.jpg

In the monsoons, the Western ghats are at their prettiest. This seems to be a helipad, with some pretty heavy security in attendance.
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0368.jpg

Fraulein waits patiently...
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0372.jpg

...while we soak up the sights. Shot on my Samsung Wave mobile cam so the quality isn't the best.
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0369.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0370.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0375.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0376.jpg

The lil one was slightly under the weather, so I promised her a hot chocolate when we got there. Spent quite a while trying to reach that place (where we spent some time during the T-BHP drive meet earlier this year) but finally found it. A decent-looking cafe called Brewberry's.
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0384.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0382.jpg

We hadn't realised how late it had gotten, and by the time we left it was half past seven already. When parked, tried to capture the rain through the windshield:
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0388.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0387.jpg

Driving down the ghats in pitch darkness and fog to boot was no picnic but the Vento's handling was impressive. Maintained a gentle yet steady pace and made it home by quarter past nine.

Covered nearly 150 km today . And yeah, as I switched off the ignition for the night, the odo ticked over 7500 km!

Last edited by noopster : 16th July 2011 at 22:22.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 00:19   #337
dot
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you had a busy saturday. I was near your home a couple of times; and whenever possible, was watching out for a certain Vento, unaware that the particular car had gone over the hills.

My cousin has landed up in Pune for studies, he has taken up a flat near your place. So we were going around the town for purchasing things. MG road- Baner- Wakad - Aundh- Aundh Annex- Pimpri-KP- Wanowari-Yerawada-Baner. He wanted to buy a car, so went to First Choice where he bought a Santro. Have you been to the Bosch service station on the Baner Pashan Link road? Wonder how their service is.
Old 17th July 2011, 10:17   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Big day for the Fraulein: two impulse trips in one day!
You lucky guy you. Not one but two two. Was at Lavasa about a week back and boy was there fog that day too. And ofcourse the potential hazards themselves who switch their hazard lights on. Isnt it so clear that one can still see the tail lights of the car in front. I can only imagine what it must have been like in the pitch dark. Brewberry's shall remember that for when we are there next. We usually wind up at ekaant and tuck in for some lunchskie. The food is really good btw. Yes its sunday so trying out my different writing character. LOL!
and yet another milestone there for Fraulein.
Wishing you many such joyful trips and double ones too. Drive safe!

Last edited by mdsaab : 17th July 2011 at 10:20.
Old 17th July 2011, 11:23   #339
BHPian

Quote:
It got really foggy up there.
How is Vento's visibility in fog and darkness?Pardon-I don't remember it from your post. Have you done any head light/fog light upgrade?

Quote:
Stopped by the side of the road to take some pics...

...and admire nature
Nice pictures and admirable nature!! Thanks for posting.

Quote:
A decent-looking cafe called Brewberry's.
Decent and inviting!!

Quote:
Driving down the ghats in pitch darkness and fog to boot was no picnic but the Vento's handling was impressive. Maintained a gentle yet steady pace and made it home by quarter past nine.
Your Fraulein is remarkably capable,and comforting. Congrats once again-even after 7500 kms.

Last edited by charthom : 17th July 2011 at 11:25.
Old 17th July 2011, 13:00   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
My cousin has landed up in Pune for studies, he has taken up a flat near your place. So we were going around the town for purchasing things. MG road- Baner- Wakad - Aundh- Aundh Annex- Pimpri-KP- Wanowari-Yerawada-Baner. He wanted to buy a car, so went to First Choice where he bought a Santro. Have you been to the Bosch service station on the Baner Pashan Link road? Wonder how their service is.
Wow that's quite a roadtrip . I have heard good things about that service centre but never gone there myself. Perhaps, post warranty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
d takeWe usually wind up at ekaant and tuck in for some lunchskie. The food is really good btw.
We did too. It was the place we had taken some amazing pics from the parking lot during the T-BHP meet- this time no pics but it was raining and amazingly foggy! But the Ekant guys told us the restaurant only opens at 8.30 for dinner; obviously we didn't wait that late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
How is Vento's visibility in fog and darkness?Pardon-I don't remember it from your post. Have you done any head light/fog light upgrade?
No upgrades charthom. The stock headlights are certainly inadequate. I use fogs almost always on my highway stretches. Need to upgrade, but this voids warranty so waiting till Y3 starts!

On an unrelated note, we got a fairly credible tip (from a disgruntled sacked driver in our building) that Fraulein's logos were in fact flicked by our carwash guy. So parked all thoughts of reattaching them for now.
Old 17th July 2011, 13:42   #341
Senior - BHPian

I knew this was an inside job! Now what? Are you planning to take some action? Or should we just let it slide? I am so used to Fraulein without her badges that now with them will take some getting used to.
Old 17th July 2011, 13:50   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On an unrelated note, we got a fairly credible tip (from a disgruntled sacked driver in our building) that Fraulein's logos were in fact flicked by our carwash guy. So parked all thoughts of reattaching them for now.
Wow, that is good news. Atleast now you have a fair idea of the cultprit. Maybe (once caught) you can retrieve the logos from the same guy
Old 17th July 2011, 13:54   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks mash. I have got used to the clean look as well. If I were in LOTR, would probably be Logoless the Elf (geddit? )

Will probably maintain the status quo: don't have any conclusive proof and we will be moving out in a few months anyway. I think its best to wait this mad crime spree to end.

Anyway onto happier things- my monsoon checkup is due this week- await an update by the weekend!
Old 17th July 2011, 18:06   #344
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm...noops...a busy period indeed. Walks, impromptu drives and rather random (?) thoughts of the next ride. Have been busy, haven't yer ?
Those misty/cloud shrouded Lavasa snaps were heavenly. Yearning for a long drive again. The itch grows.
Wonderful snaps all through and words to match. The Logoless Fraulein looks rather sad...but you do have a point. To live for today and logo for tomorrow seems better than to logo today and 'logotomised' tomorrow...or some such mumbo jumbo...
Have fun matey !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 15:25   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Wow, that is good news. Atleast now you have a fair idea of the cultprit. Maybe (once caught) you can retrieve the logos from the same guy
Am sure he's sold 'em by now . Or his kids are playing with them. Whatever. I am still in disbelief that there is a market for these badges. As far as I concerned, it is one less thing to worry about (going logoless I mean).

Thanks for your concern folks on this logo business. And HG- thanks for stopping by. Fraulein is mch happier today!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks