Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2019, 23:47   #1201
BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Bumping up this thread with a query. I'm in the market looking for a 2010-2011 Honda city and since this thread has been the most active one, my hope of getting a good feedback on this vehicle are high. What do you guys suggest? Anything specific to look for before making a purchase?
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 08:28   #1202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Bumping up this thread with a query. I'm in the market looking for a 2010-2011 Honda city
Just watch out for the usual: regular servicing, no accidents, any major repairs/replacements, especially tyres, battery, clutch, suspension.

I have a June '10 City and it works as good as new. That batch/gen of City has been largely reliable without any major QC misses/compromises.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 10:09   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Bumping up this thread with a query. I'm in the market looking for a 2010-2011 Honda city and since this thread has been the most active one, my hope of getting a good feedback on this vehicle are high. What do you guys suggest? Anything specific to look for before making a purchase?
It's quite reliable and robust. I'm on stock clutch and suspension at 65k. Stock brake pads and discs were just changed.
However, if you're looking for a manual, I'd suggest a 2011 Verna instead. The ride, headlights, features etc. are much better.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 17:11   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
In addition to above suggestions, I would like to add the below since I have had the pleasure of owning a 2009 City:

- Please check if the Airbag sensors have been replaced. For both Driver and Passenger side. This is a part of the recall and the showroom service centers maintain a record for this.
- Check the underside of the body. Don't get me wrong, City is a very good car and has a robust chassis. I recommend to check this as the underside scrapes a lot if not driven carefully over speed humps.
- Check the boot for any rust near the spare wheel area. My car had a water leakage issue from the inside of rear wheel arches and water used to accumulate in the spare wheel well during heavy rains.
- Check if the electrics work, like all buttons for power windows, electric mirror adjustment.

The best part about this car is the Engine. The 1.5 litre i-Vtec is a proven engine with its 118 horses. A good mile muncher. This car is the best for highway cruising. Combined with one of best integrated audio systems fitted makes your journey a pleasure.

Safety features like two airbags, ABS and EBD were standard at that time. And was one of the major factors for me to go for this car at that time.

Regards,

aghate22

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th April 2019 at 11:09. Reason: Spacing and formatting
aghate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 11:03   #1205
BHPian

First off - thanks for this thread. It's helped me a lot in making my purchase decision.

I've had my 2009 City for 1.5 years now (bought it used). It's clocked 69,000km or so and doesn't have many issues mechanically speaking. Got some suspension components changed, tyres replaced, and pretty much everything else that comes under periodic maintenance.

The issue I'm facing here is that the car rattles excessively over even the slightest uneven surfaces. The main problem area seems to be somewhere in the dashboard and, oddly enough, in the right wheel well. I got it checked by my mechanic (knows his stuff, works on lux cars as well) and he said some noise is there but nothing's wrong mechanically. We went over the front suspension area together since I'm interested in DIY repairs as well and had done my own research before showing it to him.

Another issue I have is that the steering is slightly stiff. After getting the suspension sorted, tyres replaced and aligned & balanced, the issue reduced by a bit but it's still noticeably heavier and stiffer than some other cars.

Has anyone faced similar issues? Or could you please guide me as to where I should be looking to solve these issues?

Also, is the ride quality slightly stiff compared to other cars? It gets slightly bumpy even on roads where other cars are smooth.

Thanks!

P.S. to anyone reading this thread because they're interested in getting this gen of the City - it's a great car. If you're looking for a regular family car that's inexpensive to buy and maintain then this should be a good choice. However, if you're an enthusiast do consider a Civic - it's far better in terms of driving dynamics.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th April 2019 at 11:09. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 21st April 2019, 19:06   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post

The issue I'm facing here is that the car rattles excessively over even the slightest uneven surfaces. The main problem area seems to be somewhere in the dashboard and, oddly enough, in the right wheel well. I got it checked by my mechanic (knows his stuff, works on lux cars as well) and he said some noise is there but nothing's wrong mechanically. We went over the front suspension area together since I'm interested in DIY repairs as well and had done my own research before showing it to him.
Have you checked your steering rack? I have rattles in my City and this was attributed to the steering rack even though the suspension parts were alright.
crux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 19:20   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Have you checked your steering rack? I have rattles in my City and this was attributed to the steering rack even though the suspension parts were alright.
Mine rattles over bumps too. Sounds is from the lower steering box area. It didn't rattle before.
Did you have to get it replaced?
Old 21st April 2019, 19:28   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Mine rattles over bumps too. Sounds is from the lower steering box area. It didn't rattle before.
Did you have to get it replaced?
The mechanics did advise to replace it for getting rid of the rattles. Other than the rattles over peculiar bumps (like that of a cobbled street), it is mechanically alright. I have kept the replacement on hold as of now.
crux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 20:24   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Oh, interesting. That might solve both the issues I'd mentioned here! Thanks. Also, by any chance, have you replaced your transmission fluid or topped it up? The shifts feel weird nowadays. When I spoke to him last time he said the fluid levels were okay. Is this also a common issue?
Old 21st April 2019, 20:56   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, interesting. That might solve both the issues I'd mentioned here! Thanks. Also, by any chance, have you replaced your transmission fluid or topped it up? The shifts feel weird nowadays. When I spoke to him last time he said the fluid levels were okay. Is this also a common issue?
You should replace the brake/ clutch fluid and gear oil every 2.5- 3 years. Most ASCs and mechanics encourage only "top ups" as these are cumbersome jobs with low labour rates.
Old 21st April 2019, 23:13   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
You should replace the brake/ clutch fluid and gear oil every 2.5- 3 years. Most ASCs and mechanics encourage only "top ups" as these are cumbersome jobs with low labour rates.

Ohh. I've heard that if you're replacing stuff like the transmission fluid then it will flush out certain metal fragments which might lead to further issues. This is why I've been holding off on replacing the transmission fluid. Brake fluid has been replaced when I got my pads changed. Need to check the clutch. Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:27   #1212
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Ohh. I've heard that if you're replacing stuff like the transmission fluid then it will flush out certain metal fragments which might lead to further issues. This is why I've been holding off on replacing the transmission fluid. Brake fluid has been replaced when I got my pads changed. Need to check the clutch. Thanks!
For Honda the interval for both Brake and Transmission fluid replacement is 3 years. Both of them should be positively replaced and also flushing and bleeding should be done.
Old 25th April 2019, 11:08   #1213
SRT
BHPian

Quote:

Another issue I have is that the steering is slightly stiff. After getting the suspension sorted, tyres replaced and aligned & balanced, the issue reduced by a bit but it's still noticeably heavier and stiffer than some other cars.
I am having a 2010 January model city IVTEC clocked 1.65 Lakhs KMS. Steering rack rattling is very common with these models. It is better to live with it, if it is minor as the repairing is costly. Due to this, the steering will be little tighter than others. Also, the suspension is little bit stiffer than other cars, which in turns helps in highways and Ghats with better handling.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th April 2019 at 11:20. Reason: quote trimmed
Old 25th April 2019, 11:32   #1214
SRT
BHPian

anyone having a cheap and good alternate tried solution for steering rack rattling? OEM replacements are costing 40K plus.
Old 26th April 2019, 23:31   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
For Honda the interval for both Brake and Transmission fluid replacement is 3 years. Both of them should be positively replaced and also flushing and bleeding should be done.

Noted. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
I am having a 2010 January model city IVTEC clocked 1.65 Lakhs KMS. Steering rack rattling is very common with these models. It is better to live with it, if it is minor as the repairing is costly. Due to this, the steering will be little tighter than others. Also, the suspension is little bit stiffer than other cars, which in turns helps in highways and Ghats with better handling.

Ohh, thanks. Has the steering rack issue caused any serious problems while driving? I'd imagine that the car's fail-safes would prevent major issues, maybe I'd lose power steering, but that's about it.

Has anyone else experienced this on their cars? Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks