Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 21:35   #16
BHPian

Firstly,
Thanks a lot everybody for your inputs! matters a lot!

Now let me answer all the questions here.

1. I know i luv SUV's but i see that the next good SUV is only above the 50lk mark. So for this round, i plan to go for a classy sporty sedan.

2. again guys, there is no way i am buying anything petrol! So that totally rules out the 3.2FSI A4. (btw, the 3.2FSI A4 will be around 42 onroad! with that amount, i would anyday buy the 520d, as i know i am not going to be fully use the 3.2 A4's power supply! rather use the comforts of the 520d!)

3. Today when Dad drove the Passat, as he stared the drive, he asked the sales exec as to what extra this car gives compared to his Skoda Laura! this guy went on explaining all the features that laura already has, and dad was like - "Thats there in the Laura too, what is EXTRA in this car that u charge the 10lk more for?" ! i was like, i had to tell dad to not ask him anything else coz there is nothing much extra at all in this car! except for the Electronic Parking brake and the Big Size, (Paddle shift not taken in consideration as wont be using it much either if there or not!) So i think there goes the Passat!

4. i told dad to TD the BMW 320d tomorrow, that time, i will show him the 520d and try to fork this thought out of him that the 520d is better for 8lk extra, and that wud be a better buy!

5. Yes currently i sound very excited about the BMW but as i said, the iDrive is the main thing that pulls me to it, but as some members have rightly put in, there are too many of them on road, so no uniqueness!

6. I havent driven or seen the new A4 in real, so just waiting for it! Dad too said wait for it and then decide, so yea, waiting for it to come to the showrooms!

7. About the MONTERO! hmm.. i am half half on it. Not too sure if its worth the amount or not. At one time i feel it is, the next i dont! Now this could be because i havent DRIVEN it yet. just sat in it in the showroom and thats all. I am still trying to fork out a TD from the dealers here, but both dealers dont have one available for TD.

Guys, Any idea about the mileage of the Montero Automatic?

Keep the inputs coming please! really need to clear up the confusion!
Old 16th July 2008, 21:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
How much does a toureg/landcruiser/q7/xc90/x3/x5/gl cost on road ?
Given your love for an suv a sedan just wont cut it . I feel you should wait a bit till you can afford one of the SUVs.

Of the 3 i would pick the 320d.

Though i havent driven or been driven in tha a4 i coun vouch for the beautiful 320d
As i said, all good suv's are above the 50lk mark!
Toureg starts from 45-48lk for base version, but with a lil bit of accessories it goes up to min. 55lk!

Landcruiser - Brand New 2008 model cost around 70lk! no way now man! and 2003-2004 models come for between 35lk to 40lk! again, no way i am going to spend that much on a 4-5 year old vehicle! just not worth it, would rather blindly go for the Montero with that kinda money!

I know i am for SUV's but then, lack of choices!
Old 16th July 2008, 21:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its A4.
It is, we can say, an all rounder.
IMO, Audi looks good also with their present design theme of girlle.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:06   #19
BHPian

The new A4 is a good choice.If you can stretch your budget try to get the 520d.Why dont you check out the new C-class.It has a mind boggling engine with oodles of torque.You can get it wath a manual tranny and nothing beats a merc if snob value is considered.

I know that you would not like to buy a car which might get outdated in the next fe months.But why dont you give a look at the Skoda Superb.You can bargain for good discounts as well.Its great VFM.
Old 17th July 2008, 10:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Today when Dad drove the Passat, as he stared the drive, he asked the sales exec as to what extra this car gives compared to his Skoda Laura! this guy went on explaining all the features that laura already has, and dad was like - "Thats there in the Laura too, what is EXTRA in this car that u charge the 10lk more for?" ! i was like, i had to tell dad to not ask him anything else coz there is nothing much extra at all in this car! except for the Electronic Parking brake and the Big Size, (Paddle shift not taken in consideration as wont be using it much either if there or not!) So i think there goes the Passat!
Seems like the salesperson didn't know the product well. Firstly, the Passat is in a different segment. The Laura should be compared with the Jetta not the Passat. Secondly, whats extra in the Passat compared to the Laura? The engine. 2.0L TDi with 140hp, self drying brakes, electronic parking brake, auto hold, manual and electric sunblinds, integrated VW logo boot release, LED tail lamps, directional bi-xenons (not sure if the Laura has it) etc etc. Not sure if it comes with ESP and more airbags but it should. Besides, dimensionally it's a bigger car then the Laura.

Anyway, though I don't agree with you that the Passat is old, I would say tick the Passat off your list. VW are planning to phase out the Tdi and bring in the CRdi and this is expected to happen within 3 years and you can bet your last paise that the Passat will be the first VW to get the Crdi engine.

With the Passat out, include the new Mercedes C in your list.

If it was me, I would probably go for the Audi A4.
Old 17th July 2008, 11:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the AUdi A4 or the Bmw 520d. Select among both of these. Well Audi is better to look at.
Old 17th July 2008, 17:57   #22
BHPian

Thanks a lot, everybody for your inputs again.

I again stress on the fact that i will NOT be buying a Merc at all! just dont like them, and i think and belive that the AUDI and BMW are far more superior. In India, Merc has the tag of prestige, but along with it, when i see a Merc, i feel the person aint got no passion, just bought the car for the symbol of luxury. Well there are many out there like this, and yea, for their purpose, the MERC is the best bet!
A known builder friend of mine went for the Merc SUV rather than going for the X5 or Q7, when asked why the MERC of all! he said he interacts with lot of local people, and for them the MERCEDES is the only "prestigious" brand. So yea, thats the reason he bought it. Not me. (the high end mercs are good, no doubt! but not the c & e)

Well yes, i am also very excited about the new Audi A4, just waiting for its launch! I took my dad to the bmw showroom today, was trying to convince him the 520d is the best bet, but he just gave me a smile, a smile nodding his head, that said " i know what u are hiting at, so just shut up!"
Old 17th July 2008, 18:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Thanks a lot, everybody for your inputs again.

I again stress on the fact that i will NOT be buying a Merc at all! just dont like them, and i think and belive that the AUDI and BMW are far more superior. In India, Merc has the tag of prestige, but along with it, when i see a Merc, i feel the person aint got no passion, just bought the car for the symbol of luxury. Well there are many out there like this, and yea, for their purpose, the MERC is the best bet!
A known builder friend of mine went for the Merc SUV rather than going for the X5 or Q7, when asked why the MERC of all! he said he interacts with lot of local people, and for them the MERCEDES is the only "prestigious" brand. So yea, thats the reason he bought it. Not me. (the high end mercs are good, no doubt! but not the c & e)

Well yes, i am also very excited about the new Audi A4, just waiting for its launch! I took my dad to the bmw showroom today, was trying to convince him the 520d is the best bet, but he just gave me a smile, a smile nodding his head, that said " i know what u are hiting at, so just shut up!"
LOL!!

Purely from a logical perspective A4 seems the best! Though if you are looking to replace it in 2-3 years then a Passat would not be a bad idea as well

IMO

Elito
Old 18th July 2008, 00:40   #24
BHPian

Well guys, After seeing the 320d again today, i found it too small for me finally! maybe its coz i was seeing the 520d more!

So now i have finalised on 2 cars...

1. NEW Audi A4
2. Mitsubishi Montero!

Please let me know which u think would be more suited from these two.

Att MODS: PLEASE change the title of this thread to " New Audi A4 or Mitsubishi Montero"

Was talking to my dad, and he kept on asking me why i am thinking of a sedan as i am just so a SUV person, then it clicked me that i had forgotten about the Montero from the past couple of days since i started this thread.

So talked to the dealer today, and was told a pricetag of around Rs.41,5 lks for the Automatic versions.

My Likes and dislikes for the Mitsubishi Montero are :

+ SIZE! its Huge, and just the thing for me, i feel!
+ Automatic - but only 5speed,
+ Awesome Audio system by Rockford!
+ Looks
+ Space
+ Comfort
+ King of the 4x4's (a recent td by Overdrive said it surpasses the X5 and Q7 when it comes to offroading!)
+ Wife loves it!

Dislikes:
- Is it pricey? given the options in india, i think this is what they would charge for it, when they are charing what they are, for other cars!
- Worried about the mileage in the Automatic? Expecting a minimum of around 6-7kmpl in city.
- Spare Parts pricing? Will they be priced obnoxiously high? (IN such a case, i think i can easily import the spares, buying it from ebay or some sparepart site around the world)

Thats all to my dislikes about this Monstrous SUV!

I will only finalise on one of the 2 mentioned cars, after i get to see the A4 in real! If the new A4's sporty appeal surpasses the Montero's Monstrous appeal, then A4, else Montero! Please let the inputs coming in guys!
Old 18th July 2008, 01:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a much easier decision because once you TD both and see what *type* of car you like then you can go for it. Your initial list is confusion city!! Now you are more or less choosing between an SUV and a sedan, which IMHO is not so hard.

I never understand why people buy *S* *U* V and use it as regular sedan. Sedans are so much more fun to use as sedans ;-)

PS: ebay stuff is more for DYI and not for A.S.S, so it wont work.
Old 18th July 2008, 01:15   #26
BHPian

Androdev,

Yea, i think seeing only one SUV as a choice, and 3 sedans, i got carried away, and got confused, and hence the confusion city!

About why SUV in city, well, feel like king of the road, and especially for Indian conditons, just love SUV's in the city! the smaller cars are like, gotta wait til the big sized ones are gone, and then they go! Also the "go-anywhere & never say no" kinda attitude the SUV gives, is much more thrilling! atleast this is so for me!

Suv's give a sense of Power, Command, Supremecy on the road. Thats the way the indian traffic is! In Australia, i had a lovely Ford Fairmont sedan for 3 years, and it was a lot fun to drive, no doubt!

So yea, now i am sure that it is going to be one of the 2 - Montero vs. A4!

Can someone please confirm if the mind blowing ROCKFORD 6-cd Audio system in the Montero plays MP3's or not? Thanks!
Old 18th July 2008, 01:20   #27
BHPian

Ok just found on on the Australian Mitsubishi site, which has much more details on the Montero aka Pajero. It states clearly that the Rockford Audio System features MP3 Compatible 6 Disc Changer too. Yipee! cleared a major doubt! Was wondering what to do without an MP3 Player!
Old 18th July 2008, 08:58   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

i can see that you love gadgets and SUVs. unusual combination. u will have a stressful buying experience ahead
Old 18th July 2008, 09:11   #29
BHPian

hey androdev, u guessed it right! i am a big gadjetfreak too along with Suv freak!

but please dont give me 'buddua' abt having a stressful purchase as i m already having it big time! give me 'dua' that my confusion clears up soon, so that i can buy something soon & t-bhp can have a nice report n pics from me!
Old 18th July 2008, 09:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

ID- Phew man you seriously keeping the mods busy here. From Captiva- BMW-Audi A4- Now Montero?? Final choice??. If you really think you need a SUV then go for the Montero. But how could you ditch a red Audi A4?
My two cents check out the A4 before concluding anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks