Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 15:39   #496
BANNED

I got my 2009 model Lines CNG fitted in June this year at 28500 km and has done 37900 km till now and is doing fine.
Average is around 16 to 20 kmpl, depending on traffic.

Last edited by jacksons : 5th November 2014 at 15:42.
jacksons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 18:56   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Is there any myth that says Fords, FIATs and other european brands dont work well with CNG? A friend is thinking of buying a Linea petrol and CNGifying it.
Hi,
I don't think there is any problem with a Fiat on CNG. I have seen numerous Palio's on cng. A friend of mine used to have a Linea with cng. But I have not seen any ford running on CNG except for old Icons. And people say fords are not compatible with CNG.

nIk
Old 6th November 2014, 12:29   #498
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi,
I don't think there is any problem with a Fiat on CNG. I have seen numerous Palio's on cng. A friend of mine used to have a Linea with cng. But I have not seen any ford running on CNG except for old Icons. And people say fords are not compatible with CNG.

nIk
Some cars are not as successful as others when converting to CNG.

Cars which are very compatible with CNG set ups:
1) Marutis(Esteems/Wagon Rs/Alto/Zen)
2) Hyundai(Santro/Accent)

Ford and Honda are not very CNG friendly and do not respond well when fitted with the kit.

There may be stalling issues either in CNG or petrol mode. Also, mileage will not be as high as factory fitted or compatible CNG cars.

Also, FIAT cars have been failures in this conversion process. Some indications:

http://www.carwale.com/forums/4362-c...-palio-12.html
(Ref: www.carwale.com/forum)
Old 6th November 2014, 16:23   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Honda are not very CNG friendly and do not respond well when fitted with the kit.

There may be stalling issues either in CNG or petrol mode. Also, mileage will not be as high as factory fitted or compatible CNG cars.
AFAIK, Honda engines are one of the best compatible ones with CNG. More so, because of their refinement levels. I am sure even Frank Mehta here on his Honda Civic CNG thread would approve of this. I have a Honda City ZX with a sequential kit which was fitted at 66K and now at 80K. I just follow my servicing cycles religiously also using synthetic oil at every 8K.

There's minimal power loss on a sequential kit and hardly any noticeable difference once the engine has warmed up as far as Honda is concerned. In my humble opinion with the good number of CNG'ed cars I've driven I can safely say Honda engines adapt to CNG in the best way.

Please remember I am talking about sequential kits which come with their own ECU. Any other type will show up a check engine light because of the main ECU controlling parameters it does not know. And sequential is the only type of kit I recommend anyone wanting to go the CNG way.
Old 6th November 2014, 16:34   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
AFAIK, Honda engines are one of the best compatible ones with CNG.
Please remember I am talking about sequential kits which come with their own ECU. Any other type will show up a check engine light because of the main ECU controlling parameters it does not know. And sequential is the only type of kit I recommend anyone wanting to go the CNG way.
HI

Sequential kits are any time better that the closed end kits.
However, they are expensive.

I have few cases where in all iVTECs installed with the CNGs did not perform as desired.

Obviously, they were either open end kits within 32K or the closed end kits costing about 39K.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 16:34   #501
Senior - BHPian

Toyota corolla is the most successful car on cng ever. That's one thing you hear from all installers. There's a reason behind it. The current (and the previous) corollas come with the same 1.8 engines. These engines are hardly bristling with newer, more complicated technology to keep it simple to Service and reliable to maintain. Adding a Cng kit (open loop, closed loop or sequential) gives great results with the Toyota.

The other aspect about fords and fiats not doing well with cng is a thing of the past. Sequential kits are the most advanced, and provide a far larger control over cng than the older kits could afford. The reason why people run away from fiat and Ford engines for conversion are simple. Fiat and Ford, both being European came with engines that were designed for lower emissions owing to the restrictions in the Eu countries. The moment you start tinkering with fuel conversion, the first thing the engine starts realizing is the change in parameters. Change in parameters are not good news for cars that are very restrictive on emissions, hence they start 'choking' due to over compensation by the engine to prevent the 'change in parameters.' think of it as a 'protect' mode for the car.
Also, the intake and exhuast systems of Ford and fiat cars are heavily regulated and laden with sensors. The moment cng comes into question, they go ballistic and the engine starts under performing.
This is with the older kits.
Come, Sequential kits and we now have control over a larger set of parameters. Fuel is regulated via a micro computer and everything else starts to 'behave' itself after that.

Very crudely written, because I'm typing this on the phone, but if you have doubts ask here. I'll try to explain better..
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 16:37   #502
Senior - BHPian

Ps: Hondas perform sensationally with sequential cng kits! In fact, the zx and all Hondas before that did well with the older kits too!
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 16:41   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Obviously, they were either open end kits within 32K or the closed end kits costing about 39K.
Glad to know we're on the same page. Yes, Honda engines do not take kindly to open/closed loop kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Come, Sequential kits and we now have control over a larger set of parameters. Fuel is regulated via a micro computer and everything else starts to 'behave' itself after that.
Wow, beauty of this forum. Didn't know my inspiration to go CNG without any worry would actually reply so quick! I always recommend my friends wanting to go CNG to either get a sequential kit, or don't fit CNG at all. And though its been debated too much on the forum, I insist on a synthetic oil strictly for CNG running engine. Maybe psychological, but gives me some peace of mind.
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 13:04   #504

Hyundai Getz 1.3 petrol I have. Got a Tomasetto sequential kit fitted in, after a compatible advancer I've been having good response by the engine.

Secondly, the mileage stays low, 15/17 city/highway, which maybe due to the spark plugs that I recently got replaced. I've heard the NGK's perform better with CNG, is that true?

How else can I get a better mileage?
Old 15th November 2014, 05:31   #505

Dear fellow bhpians, i need a quick advise on if i can fix a cng kit of course best converter, best sequential with OBD, bs4 etc etc., on a Fiesta AT 2012 MPFI 1500cc car just run only 6500km since Jly2012 when it was bought, leaving a warranty of 8months more for car if not the gear box, which i believe 10years or 2.5lac kms. Though this model is now not in production i guess, but the same powertrain is coming in EcoSport Petrol AT 1500 cc MPFI model, which i TDed but not happy with its dynamics & went for this blessed used 2012 FiestaAT. Now, though every thing went as i expected in the car, than EcoSport,the city mileage is scarry 145km/2000rs worth petrol 28ltrs as per DTE meter. ie a whooping 14rs/km, am dumb stuck. Actual figures i need to see on the next refill.
any case it is not ok, though the service guys say it will be 14-15 on highways. can i be
on highways always to get this figures!! therefore i need your help & advice.

Since last two days, i read all most all matter appearing n this forum & further confused. One saying CNG conversion of ATs is dam good, other so so & a last segment saying European cars like Ford/Fiat are not designed for CNG. There is the ultimate of the view. Pl advice the options I have at the moment, I really can not spend 14rs/km petrol when every one is talking between 3-5rs/km with cng, irrespective of the experiences good/bad with one converter/kit or the other expressed by the folk.
Regds, Satya
Old 15th November 2014, 09:51   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usatya View Post
Since last two days, i read all most all matter appearing n this forum & further confused. One saying CNG conversion of ATs is dam good, other so so & a last segment saying European cars like Ford/Fiat are not designed for CNG. There is the ultimate of the view. Pl advice the options I have at the moment, I really can not spend 14rs/km petrol when every one is talking between 3-5rs/km with cng, irrespective of the experiences good/bad with one converter/kit or the other expressed by the folk.
Regds, Satya
You need to first check if any other Ford AT is running on CNG. Ford cars are not so CNG friendly. And with AT it will further complicate the issue. Try to find someone who has done similar conversion. I can understand FE of 5-6 kmpl is something which pinch every time you fill up the tank, I feel FE should be around 8-9 as Civic also gives atleast 7-8 kmpl on AT in city driving.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 04:47   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
You need to first check if any other Ford AT is running on CNG. Ford cars are not so CNG friendly. And with AT it will further complicate the issue. Try to find someone who has done similar conversion. I can understand FE of 5-6 kmpl is something which pinch every time you fill up the tank, I feel FE should be around 8-9 as Civic also gives atleast 7-8 kmpl on AT in city driving.
Hi, saurabhkum,thanks for response.
with great difficulty I could find one user seems not in this forum, using 4000km sofar on a fiesta MT, saying he is ok now but with some start up issues in the start, which the same converter resolved. need to lookup more users,
One converter went to the extent of discouraging, the conversion, saying,
the car is not very old 2012 Jly/6500km only run, why take a chance as they were not sure it will work.am now keeping fingers crossed & on search for a user. usatya
Old 16th November 2014, 14:40   #508
BANNED

How about picking up an old Mondeo and putting a sequential kit in it? Issues?
Old 19th November 2014, 19:11   #509
BHPian

Hello All,

I have read almost all threads/posts relating to CNG conversion, however i couldnt find any detailed post on Honda City AT ivtec being converted to CNG, the closest one i could relate or find was frank's AT Civic.

I have a 2011 Honda City AT ivtec done 37,000 kms, our running has gone up and its atleast a 1000kms a month and we run up huge petrol bills, the mileage is double figure when you are on highways as soon as you are in city, it starts to show single digits.

I wanted to convert to a sequential CNG kit but was not convinced if it will work fine, I saw above post from frank and understand it will work well with honda's, if anyone has recently converted their City to cng please advice on the workshop also if i can continue to take the car to Honda for servicing, someone told me hondas will not accept for servicing as the car has been modified.

Please advice.
Thanks !
Old 19th November 2014, 19:41   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillaian View Post
Hello All,

I have read almost all threads/posts relating to CNG conversion, however i couldnt find any detailed post on Honda City AT ivtec being converted to CNG, the closest one i could relate or find was frank's AT Civic.

I have a 2011 Honda City AT ivtec done 37,000 kms, our running has gone up and its atleast a 1000kms a month and we run up huge petrol bills, the mileage is double figure when you are on highways as soon as you are in city, it starts to show single digits.

I wanted to convert to a sequential CNG kit but was not convinced if it will work fine, I saw above post from frank and understand it will work well with honda's, if anyone has recently converted their City to cng please advice on the workshop also if i can continue to take the car to Honda for servicing, someone told me hondas will not accept for servicing as the car has been modified.

Please advice.
Thanks !
I don't think there should be any problem converting City AT to CNG. About Honda servicing, it's true. Honda will not accept the car for any kind of repair work.

nIk

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks