Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2012, 21:57   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Maybe you were looking at something like this?

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=0aV2H57bES4

It can be very well done, but you need to get a skilled person, and the job will be done. If the finishing of the edges are done well, then it is durable too.
If the vinyl is applied after taking of the tires and inserting the edge inside the rims, I think the finish/durability will improve.
Old 8th December 2012, 22:30   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
You mean this is the real stuff, that is, real carbon fiber? Can you share the details please?
No it is not real carbon fibre however it is the closest to the real thing. I don't know the exact term but from my understanding it is simple cubic treatment wherein the parts are dipped in a solution to get the carbon fibre look. You can check out this video which found on youtube.

@ thumpingheart: The person who I got my car done from was also experimenting the carbon fibre treatment on the steel wheels of a Chevrolet Beat. The final product wasn't ready but if it is anything to go by seeing my car, I'm sure its going to be one hell of a looker at a much lower price point than alloy wheels.

Last edited by S2!!! : 8th December 2012 at 22:33.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 22:30   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
If the vinyl is applied after taking of the tires and inserting the edge inside the rims, I think the finish/durability will improve.
But that might affect the tyre-rim bond. In modern tubeless tyres, it is very essential to have a proper seal between tyre and rim, and a vinyl intermediate might do harm, but I am not sure. Moreover, a tyre changing machine will be able to easily rip off the vinyl when it installs back the tyre. The film can be left like that, but it should be ensured that there is no wrinkle at the edges, into which water can seep in and then start to negate the bonding power of the adhesive.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th December 2012 at 22:32. Reason: Added quote
Old 9th December 2012, 11:50   #169
BHPian

Quote:
The person who I got my car done from was also experimenting the carbon fibre treatment on the steel wheels of a Chevrolet Beat. The final product wasn't ready but if it is anything to go by seeing my car, I'm sure its going to be one hell of a looker at a much lower price point than alloy wheels.
Ya. Hope I could see one done before hand. But I think if the person doing it is experienced, it should look pretty good. But me buying the Beat is quite some months away so I'm just day dreaming
Old 12th December 2012, 22:55   #170

Hi. Anybody has a clue where can I get CF vinyl in Delhi in smaller quantities ?

Cheers
Old 12th December 2012, 23:46   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

I think most stickering shops will have it in stock. They will give any vinyl film in square foot basis. Usually the rolls are two feet and four feet wide. So, if you take the entire width along with a length of your choice, they will accept. However, if you ask for a width of less than two or four feet, they will end up with the remaining portion, which may become useless. So in that case, they wont be willing to give small quantities to people. Also, if you visit a sticker shop with a not so good business, like what I did , he will be happy to accomodate your requirements. The shop I visited is one of those who dont do a lot of works. The guy was sitting idle when I went for the number plates. After that, he was willing to lend me the sheet I required. Whether he cuts it to shape or not, at least I am buying the vinyl. So, I think you can source it from such shops.

Shops who have a good amount of custoners wont be so co operative in lending small quantities. Either they refuse, or quote high rates.

BTW, I am thinking of removing the vinyl I had previously put on the pillars of my WagonR. They are matte vinyl of the cheapest cost. Actually I had these vinyl from my aquarist, who uses the black film as a background to fish tanks. It was just Rs 15 per sft. It is still looking and sticking fine, but lacks the look of the factory fit vinyl on my SX4. I have two options with me. One is this carbon fiber, and the other one is a glossy black vinyl, which is manufactured by Autographix. Though it is not exactly glossy, it looks very premium and is thick too. So confused between the two. Does CF really look that premium? Please give in your opinion to this fellow!

Last edited by audioholic : 12th December 2012 at 23:53.
Old 13th December 2012, 00:57   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Does CF really look that premium? Please give in your opinion to this fellow!
I think the glossy CF looks absolutely fabulous. The one that has been shown in the previous page. Yes it takes a special process, nonetheless that looks quite good and far better than the 3d cf vinyl we are using. IMHO.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:18   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Glossy CF in the sense film + lacquer? I wont do that much of work
Anyways, between carbon fiber vinyl, and glossy black vinyl(non textured. Just black) what would be the choice?
Old 13th December 2012, 02:04   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Glossy CF in the sense film + lacquer? I wont do that much of work
Anyways, between carbon fiber vinyl, and glossy black vinyl(non textured. Just black) what would be the choice?
I think the carbon fibre vinyl looks much more premium than a glossy vinyl, anyday. Especially the ones you are using, that pattern. No wonder its the same pattern used in premium products too. What do you think?
Old 13th December 2012, 20:47   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

@Parthasarathig I will go with your suggestion. Afterall vinyl cant match the look of CF vinyl, no matter what quality it is.

This is the latest vinyl'ed object. Sorry if I am flooding this thread with Non-Auto images. I have time for small objects only as I have exams approaching. To take a worthy break, I work on small objects. Moreover its like building experience and skill, for the bigger objects. In the next month, you can expect a detailed guide on covering larger objects, pillars in the line. If I get a volunteer, I will work on mirrors and similar objects too, which are easier than these small objects. Maybe I hope I can attract some cousins or friends for this job

Here is my mouse:

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07379.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07383.jpg
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 15:04   #176
Senior - BHPian

Team,
Got a quote of Rs 5100 for covering the bonnet of my swift with carbon fibre vinyl at 3M.

Is this expensive ??
Old 16th December 2012, 16:06   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

In my purely personal opinion, it is not worth it. I think you can get the bonnet painted for lesser than that amount. Moreover, no vinyl is permanent. A person jealous about the thing can rip it off, or a small scrape will make it look bad. There goes the 5k down the drain. Assuming that your bonnet will require 5X4ft of vinyl, from my source, the vinyl will cost 1k rupees. Add another 1000 rupees for the best installer, and you have the job done in 2k. Moreover, vinyl can differ by quality. However, in case of CF vinyl, variation in quality or thickness is less because, in order to achieve the texture, the vinyl should be thick enough. Moreover, it is not a simple process to achieve ultra low quality stuff. So get the job done from outside. You can get a cheaper deal, like the one that is there in the start of this thread.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 20:37   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my purely personal opinion, it is not worth it. I think you can get the bonnet painted for lesser than that amount. Moreover, no vinyl is permanent. A person jealous about the thing can rip it off, or a small scrape will make it look bad. There goes the 5k down the drain. Assuming that your bonnet will require 5X4ft of vinyl, from my source, the vinyl will cost 1k rupees. Add another 1000 rupees for the best installer, and you have the job done in 2k. Moreover, vinyl can differ by quality. However, in case of CF vinyl, variation in quality or thickness is less because, in order to achieve the texture, the vinyl should be thick enough. Moreover, it is not a simple process to achieve ultra low quality stuff. So get the job done from outside. You can get a cheaper deal, like the one that is there in the start of this thread.
Thank you sire. I agree with your POV.

Guys in PUNE,

Do we have any other cheaper alternatives ?
Old 16th December 2012, 21:25   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Team,
Got a quote of Rs 5100 for covering the bonnet of my swift with carbon fibre vinyl at 3M.

Is this expensive ??
oh 3M is damn expensive. they quoted 6k to do up the roof in cf vinyl !

my local sticker guy quoted just 1500 for the roof and around 800-1000 for the bonnet.
his cf vinyl was of good quality and I bought some part for 50 bucks and wrapped my BB and iPod with that!
StrangeWizard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 09:39   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Thank you sire. I agree with your POV.

Guys in PUNE,

Do we have any other cheaper alternatives ?
Bhandari auto on JM road, as suggested by Swanand Inamdar, I for one didn't like the vinyl too much, however it was textured and of good quality, the work done on the shop owners swift is also pretty neat. Dont know about the quality of adhesive though, and the vinyl does not stretch on heating. Price quoted to me was Rs 150/Sqft, but drop him a word about TeamBHP and he'll offer you a better price. The owner is a real gentleman, he has another shop near VITS hotel on the highway, you can try there as well if thats closer.
I have a few bits of my Polo covered in 3M CF vinyl, the quality is better than most in the market, but terribly overpriced, the job done by guys at 3M baner is real neat, you can check out the pics a few pages back.
May be you can PM me if you visit the JM road outlet, I would love to see the work being done, I live closeby.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks