Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 16:29   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
That's what I meant, thanks for that

While you are right in what you explained, I have to stand on what I said - a H4 HID without a projector will scatter light because of the reflector (compared to it getting focused by a projector). While on highway drives, I have been blinded several times over by modern cars that have HID without projectors- and that's why I'm against such a setup. Am sure there would be others in the forum who would concur...
Maybe you are right buddy. In some cases.
I've been blinded once by an "E"

The fact we have to note is that lot of blue/white/purple coloured lights that are fitted are not really HID's they are just Halogen's with coloured glass. I see them a lot on 2 wheelers, here in chennai at least.

Even I thought the same before getting these.
In fact me and couple of my buddies found an empty piece of road and tried driving/riding/walking against the HID fitted swift. We were surprised to find it was less blinding than the 130/100 Halogen's.

Quote:
guys can u suggest the type of hid bulb used in fortuner?? also which brand I should go for?
Dilip, most cars/SUV's have H4 type bulb. I'm pretty sure fortuner has H4's for primary headlamps. So all you need is a "kit" with H4 type HID bulb. Go for any reputed brand with Bill and warranty.
Stay away from chinese stuff as you will be wasting your money.

I've heard of Bosh, Autogauge and lot of so called "reputed" HID's. I'm not sure how "genuine" they all are. Personally I'd go with Philips.

Last edited by yzfrj : 21st January 2010 at 16:31.
Old 21st January 2010, 18:42   #92
Senior - BHPian

"Bosch" HID kit that is widely around is not genuine I happened to open and check a "Bosch" kit, and sure enough, it had ballasts that had Chinese markings.
Old 21st January 2010, 19:51   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post

Dilip, most cars/SUV's have H4 type bulb. I'm pretty sure fortuner has H4's for primary headlamps. So all you need is a "kit" with H4 type HID bulb. Go for any reputed brand with Bill and warranty.
Stay away from chinese stuff as you will be wasting your money.

I've heard of Bosh, Autogauge and lot of so called "reputed" HID's. I'm not sure how "genuine" they all are. Personally I'd go with Philips.
buddy why not have a look at the fortuners headlamps first before just blindly answering. if you see the headlamps of the fortuner you will see that there is a separate projector for low beam and a reflector for high beam. it is most likely h1 or h7 and it will be written in the owners manual.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2010, 19:56   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
"Bosch" HID kit that is widely around is not genuine I happened to open and check a "Bosch" kit, and sure enough, it had ballasts that had Chinese markings.
Even my Bosch wiper blades were made in china. Perhaps the entire manufacturing base is slowly being shifted to china? Or is the market being flooded with non genuine stuff?
Old 22nd January 2010, 02:28   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Even my Bosch wiper blades were made in china. Perhaps the entire manufacturing base is slowly being shifted to china? Or is the market being flooded with non genuine stuff?
Guess I wasn't clear again - the accompanying papers were in Chinese - however something in English caught my attention - made in china using bosch's technology (or something similar - is that a decent way to say i copied?!!)
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:59   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
buddy why not have a look at the fortuners headlamps first before just blindly answering. if you see the headlamps of the fortuner you will see that there is a separate projector for low beam and a reflector for high beam. it is most likely h1 or h7 and it will be written in the owners manual.
Well in that case, I stand corrected. Thanks.

Not every one owns one and not everyone has the owners manual.

You say most likely H1 or H7, I said H4.
It seem you ain't got the manual too
Old 22nd January 2010, 21:07   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Well in that case, I stand corrected. Thanks.

Not every one owns one and not everyone has the owners manual.

You say most likely H1 or H7, I said H4.
It seem you ain't got the manual too
thats because h4 is when there is a single beam for high and low beam. when there are separate beams for high and low as in the case of the fortuner the 2 most common types of bulbs are h1 and h7. hope you get what i meant. i should have explained it better.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2010, 14:39   #98
BHPian

Fellas, I would like to draw your attention to some basics

Projector beam head utilize a lens in front of the lamp to focus the light and the normal reflector headlamps use a mirro behind the lamp to focus the light.

Ref : Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HID is OE in lot of cars with reflector type headlamps (For Eg: fully loaded Mitsu Outlander available in Middle East) and I have seen several cars retro fitted with HID in a normal reflector type head lamp which had a normal beam pattern.

Yesterday I had a Swift behind me who was using some cheap HID and it was a pain be in front with his light reflecting from the ORVM.

The key is to use the right quality lamp, in this case a lamp with the right length. if the lamp is too short, the beam will spread and will be a nightmare to the oncoming traffic and the vehicles in front of you.

Surprisingly projector beams are considered to be more disturbing to oncoming traffic than normal reflector type head lamps.

The wikipedia page provides more info.

One more advice is to get your head lamp level adjusted so that when using low beam, the light should not go above the waist line/ORVM of the car in front.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:24   #99
BHPian

Saw a video on youtube which is a demonstration of hid under water, He dipped the ballast entire into water and powered it, It was working all fine. But I still am not sure whether its true or not. So my question here is, Are HIDs water proof?
Old 25th January 2010, 22:41   #100
BANNED

Guys
Fortuner has H11 for low beams(projectors) and HB3 for high beams. For fogs HB4 is used..
Cheers
Dilip
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:26   #101
NKR
BHPian

Thanks for the information on basics/further advice requested

Hi,

I own a Skoda Laura 1.9 Ambiente 2009 model and am based in Kochi. I am planning to fit the Philips 6000k HID. Since the Laura ambiente has different bulbs for the high and low beam,I was told by a auto electrical fitter that i need to fit 2 sets each(total 4 bulbs with ballast etc) of xenon for the high and low separately. On consulting the Skoda service they have advised against the fitting of Xenon. Can you please help me out with these

1. Is it safe to fit Xenon as replacement for halogens
2. Do you require 2 sets of bulbs
3. If xenon is not safe which halogen is the best, I was also recommended the philips H7 is it good
4. Finally does any one know of a reliable fitter in Kochi

Thanks and regards
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:40   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

@NKR
Philips will be expensive. If you are willing to spend the cash, it is worth every penny.

1. Xenons are safe. They produce very less heat, long life, bright light when compared to halos.
2. Laura has separate bulbs for high & low. Low has a projector setup while high got a normal clear lens. (correct me if am wrong guys)
3. Number of options for halos - osram, philips, and many more
4. Emperor, overdrive. (Have personal experiences with them. I installed my cars HIDs and exterior mods here)
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:39   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Saw a video on Youtube which is a demonstration of hid under water, He dipped the ballast entire into water and powered it, It was working all fine. But I still am not sure whether its true or not. So my question here is, Are HIDs water proof?
Yes I've also seen many HID video's showing ballast put into tub full of water, but that is for demonstration only, actual intention would be to show that water contact would not damage the Ballast.

However it depends a lot on brand you use.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:43   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Yes I've also seen many HID video's showing ballast put into tub full of water, but that is for demonstration only, actual intention would be to show that water contact would not damage the Ballast.

However it depends a lot on brand you use.
I have been using a Chinese HID Kit on My bike Since early 2007,it has seen many heavy rains,Pressure washes,and Rivulet Crossing,flooded roads and what not.
It has held on completely.
the only thing in the entire kit that is not water proof is the Relay
Old 25th April 2010, 20:36   #105
NKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
Hi,

I own a Skoda Laura 1.9 Ambiente 2009 model and am based in Kochi. I am planning to fit the Philips 6000k HID. Since the Laura ambiente has different bulbs for the high and low beam,I was told by a auto electrical fitter that i need to fit 2 sets each(total 4 bulbs with ballast etc) of xenon for the high and low separately. On consulting the Skoda service they have advised against the fitting of Xenon. Can you please help me out with these

1. Is it safe to fit Xenon as replacement for halogens
2. Do you require 2 sets of bulbs
3. If xenon is not safe which halogen is the best, I was also recommended the philips H7 is it good
4. Finally does any one know of a reliable fitter in Kochi

Thanks and regards
Thanks a lot. After going through your valuable advice and the site and also speaking to others I have decided to install Xenons for the low beams and change the halogens to better ones made by philips on the high beams. by the way could you please give me some contact number of the installers before i take the final plunge..Thanks and regs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks