Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 21:24   #316
BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
Final update on the quest for ceramic coating. Though fellow member @akhil994 recommended against Steam and Shine, I went anyway to have a look as it wasn't too far away (and @carrazy) had a good review - so I decided to check for myself. On top of it, they seemed like the only outlet that provided Opticoat Pro (which seemed to be one of the few original brands that kept popping up in my research).

[/list]
Sir damages please ?
Old 23rd August 2020, 21:28   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
Sir if you could please let us know the damages fo this treatment ? I'm personally inching towards them as well as the other option near my house "Always Dry USA" guy is asking for 40k and says will be done in 7 hours! As per him thats the speciality of the treatment! Sounds like BS to me, I'd want the car to be properly and patiently prepped before I spend that much!
Strongly suggest visit Feynlab by car plus.Can give my reference as just got my elantra also done from them. Wonderful job
Old 4th September 2020, 23:26   #318
BHPian

So based on the DMs I've gotten over the last few months, I thought I'd post a 6 month ownership review of ceramic coating.

The good:
  1. It's definitely worth it. Six months later it's still shining just as much as I did on day 1. There are loads of different types of ceramic coatings out there at different price points, hard to say which is better definitively, so just go with your gut and your trust levels on the applicator.
  2. Ceramic coating WILL NOT protect you from swirls! You need to be super vigilant, especially if you have a black car. My method for keeping her swirl and scratch free is below.
  3. You save a fair bit on waxing. I still apply quick coat wax (as recommended by Sunny from Steam and Shine, Gurgaon.
  4. The quality of the shine is definitely not "tacky" or "weird" as some people on the internet claim. The car just looks great!
  5. Damages for ceramic coating - 30k - 50k, depending on where you get it done from. PPF, much more expensive.

How to keep the Ceramic Coating looking like new:
  1. Attention to your 2-bucket method / wash method. I use a Bosch pressure washer nearly every other day to get rid of dust / muck. If the car isn't very dirty then 2 bucket method.
  2. Different cloths for different spots. Amazon basics microfibre works best.
  3. Shampoo once every 10 days. The WaveX Foam Lance Cannon add-on for the pressure washer is worth EVERY PENNY.
  4. Car cover for every minute the car isn't being used. I use the Dupont Tyvek model by Pasco Car covers. 1 tiny hole after six months, but the cover is on early every other day so I'm not very unhappy.

Adding two photos after a wash for reference. I have a video of the foam cannon in use but I need to figure out how to upload it here!

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_9517-1.jpeg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_9521.jpeg

Here's a short video of the Bosch Spray Washer mated with the WaveX Foam Cannon using 3M shampoo (so much fun!)

Same setup, used on my Skoda Yeti (no coating done).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th September 2020 at 07:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged, please check the second youtube video (doesn't show up). Thanks.
monkey_wrench is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 13:01   #319

I have used it on my car and it’s of no use. The place I got it done changed their claims and promises during the process of ceramic coating. They advised me against paint protection film and convinced me to go with ceramic coating and it’s absolute waste of money as I am still dealing with scratches and swirls and hard water effects.

Last edited by manson : 5th September 2020 at 14:55. Reason: Typos.
GridReaper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 14:28   #320
BHPian

Ceramic coating will reduce the damage induced by natural elements to a great extent but won't negate them completely.
That's the reason its recommended to maintain the coating by applying the topcoat regularly. The sacrificial layer will erode while keeping the base coat intact.
Swirls, on the other hand, are part of life. Trust me I have tried to keep my vehicle swirl free as much as possible but gradually learned to live with them. Its technically impossible to keep the paint swirl free.
For swirls the best option I feel is to apply Topcoat layer every few months to keep the gloss intact and when finally they start getting more and more noticeable get the vehicle polished.
Reapply the ceramic coat again every 2-3 years.
The reapplication of the coating is a comparatively less expensive than a full-blown coating IMO.
Artyom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 20:22   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddylaw View Post
I have Mediterranean Blue color, over which i got the ceramic done, and Self Healing PPF ( Newly Launched GARWARE ) only on bumpers, Handle, door corners and ORVMs.
Hey Maddylaw, can you please share where you got this done? I also want to go for ppf at scratch-prone parts as full body seems to cost a bomb.
deepakdograbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 23:14   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
So based on the DMs I've gotten over the last few months, I thought I'd post a 6 month ownership review of ceramic coating.

The good:
  1. It's definitely worth it. Six months later it's still shining just as much as I did on day 1. There are loads of different types of ceramic coatings out there at different price points, hard to say which is better definitively, so just go with your gut and your trust levels on the applicator.
  2. Ceramic coating WILL NOT protect you from swirls! You need to be super vigilant, especially if you have a black car. My method for keeping her swirl and scratch free is below.
  3. You save a fair bit on waxing. I still apply quick coat wax (as recommended by Sunny from Steam and Shine, Gurgaon.
  4. The quality of the shine is definitely not "tacky" or "weird" as some people on the internet claim. The car just looks great!
  5. Damages for ceramic coating - 30k - 50k, depending on where you get it done from. PPF, much more expensive.

How to keep the Ceramic Coating looking like new:
  1. Attention to your 2-bucket method / wash method. I use a Bosch pressure washer nearly every other day to get rid of dust / muck. If the car isn't very dirty then 2 bucket method.
  2. Different cloths for different spots. Amazon basics microfibre works best.
  3. Shampoo once every 10 days. The WaveX Foam Lance Cannon add-on for the pressure washer is worth EVERY PENNY.
  4. Car cover for every minute the car isn't being used. I use the Dupont Tyvek model by Pasco Car covers. 1 tiny hole after six months, but the cover is on early every other day so I'm not very unhappy.

Adding two photos after a wash for reference. I have a video of the foam cannon in use but I need to figure out how to upload it here!

Attachment 2051728

Attachment 2051729

Here's a short video of the Bosch Spray Washer mated with the WaveX Foam Cannon using 3M shampoo (so much fun!)

https://Youtu.be/kP33DBUUtY4

Same setup, used on my Skoda Yeti (no coating done).
https://Youtu.be/nX01ObsqHM0
That's an awesome looking car you have over there.
I have noticed some people neglect their ride so it looks like crap on the road.
My concern is that by using the Bosch sprayer near the engine/battery area does it cause it any harm? Or do you unmount your battery?

Also, there's this place known as GoMechanic who offers a ceramic coating for around 30k.
Has anyone used their services?
If yes, then are they trustworthy?
Old 19th October 2020, 11:35   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil@786 View Post
That's an awesome looking car you have over there.
I have noticed some people neglect their ride so it looks like crap on the road.
My concern is that by using the Bosch sprayer near the engine/battery area does it cause it any harm? Or do you unmount your battery?

Also, there's this place known as GoMechanic who offers a ceramic coating for around 30k.
Has anyone used their services?
If yes, then are they trustworthy?
Thank you! I use the sprayer sparing under the hood. I don't disconnect the battery but angle the jet (it's pretty precise) towards the rainwater runoff drain which is where the bulk of the leaves and debris get jammed. No issues so far!
monkey_wrench is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 11:25   #324
BHPian

I got my Nissan Kicks Ceramic coated.

Product: Modesta BC-04 Nano-Titanium Glass Coating
http://www.modesta.co/bc-04-nano-tit...s-coating.html

Detailer: Modesta Luxi Automotive, Coimbatore.
https://www.facebook.com/modestacoimbatore/

Cost: North of 25K, they offer different options, please check with them. Time taken: 2-3 days in workshop.

Life of coating: 3-10 years based on maintainence.

Why Ceramic coating?
  • Adds a Candy Gloss finish
  • Adds a protective layer to your car paint and protects against minor sctraches, bird droppings etc,.
  • Easier to maintain and clean the car.
  • Other forms of protection have shorter life such as waxing, paint sealants etc,.

I can literally feel the ceramic coating when I slide my fingers across the surface, it is much slicker. Also the gloss has significantly improved, the blue shade has become a tad deeper and lush. I am happy with the result. The major advantage is cleaning, all I have to do is a touchless wash and wipe it down.

I also got my Fuji bike as well protected with Modesta BC-06.

Here is some information if you are considering ceramic coating

Some tips
  • Detailer is everything: Find a a good detailer in your area who has a years of experience and a good reputation. The product is secondary.
  • There are even DIY ceramic products in the market such as Avalonking and they are less expensive. I did not go the DIY route as my car is not brand new and it needed a good amount of paint correction (sanding) due to minor scratches. Another reason is also the fear of messing up.

https://avalonking.com/blog/ceramic-...own-the-facts/

Hydrophobicity

Walkaround:
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-2a46c938fde34d7fa3c0ea2232405029.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-652aaf6da2fc42e4ae21e03287e5a607.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_3227.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_3231.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_3232.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_3234.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_3249.jpg  

Godzilla is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 00:36   #325
BHPian

Niceeee looking at all the cars shining is really a good feeling, specially when like minded people are getting them done and having an open discussion about it. My interest in the Ceramic Coating came on when they first launched in india a few years back with tall claims from scratch resistance, long lasting shine and water wading properties. Though I wasn't too keen to get my existing fleet coated as they are protected with Turtle Ice Seal & Shine and had been bumped and scratched by un alert drivers and a few times by me : . So last year when I bought myself a new car I was hell bent on getting it ready for a long haul, as we keep our cars for a long period of time.
After an extensive research it was well understood that a ceramic coat will JUST enhance your top coat (more for Dark Colours) and will add a very thin layer of little protection.
If one wants real protection along with shine, then the ultimate combo is first wrap the car in Self Healing PPF like 3m or Garware and coat it with ceramic. This combination enhances the self healing properties of the PPF, but then the costs are just tremendous. So after studying everything from Forums to YouTube videos to articles by professionals, I came to the conclusion I just wanted to extend the time frame of the shine. For that spending the money as most people spent here wasn't too pleasing, specially after I studied what the products cost and what the labour costs. So I zeroed in on Avalon King the DIY solution, as people swear by this product in America.
After ordering the product right before Lockdown(well didn't know we too would go through a lockdown) sat at home and got bored till the time in late September my products arrived and got me iching to apply it. My search for a good detailer started and I came across one through a friend who had just bought a Harrier. The detailer is good at what he does and told me his prep routine followed by the application process which was similar to the prescribed process. So the steps he followed:-
Prep:
1. Dry wash.
2. Complete car Light compounding to remove the swirl marks as the car is cleaned every 2nd day and paint correction as the car now is a year and a half old, but barely driven 6000kms.
3. Polishing with non Binary polish.
4. Washing thoroughly with foam and soap.
5. Complete Drying.(here the car already looks brand new)
6. Wipe down with isopropyl alcohol.
I skipped claying because the light compounding and polish would have removed the tar and other stains.
Then Application of the product. During the application I was following him in the trail to make sure he didn't miss any spot and took our own sweet time to wipe off the excess as i wanted it to cure and bind with the top coat and went around the complete car including the glasses and wiper blades. By the time we finished our 1st coat an hour had almost passed, so we proceeded for the 2nd coat, but only on the plastics and the painted panels. Glasses didn't get the 2nd coat..
I dont have the before pictures of the car, but uploading the after pictures along with the pictures of the product.
Surprisingly even after that we had half of the bottle left, which we used it on my friend's brand new Harrier as he was impressed with the results on my car and he too got 2 coats out of what was left. Even the detailer was raving about the product, which I least expected as he would want to promote his own product.
So after a long banter what I spent in total?
For the product and Labour Rs. 10000.00(considering my friend paid half for the bottle for his Harrier)
Is it worth it?
Well if you don't get time to go to a detailer on half yearly basis then YES as your exterior IF maintained can last you UPTO 2yrs giving you that shiny look.
I hope this helps others to understand what they want and if anyone wants to try Avalon King then get intouch with me as I have a few extra as I didn't expect 1 bottle would suffice for which I was WRONG.
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-20201031_220201.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-20201031_220237.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-20201031_232136.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-20201031_232204.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-20201030_204527.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-20201030_204423.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-20201031_231013.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-20201031_231140.jpg  

Kanboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:48   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I got my Nissan Kicks Ceramic coated.

Product: Modesta BC-04 Nano-Titanium Glass Coating
http://www.modesta.co/bc-04-nano-tit...s-coating.html

Detailer: Modesta Luxi Automotive, Coimbatore.
https://www.facebook.com/modestacoimbatore/

Cost: North of 25K, they offer different options, please check with them. Time taken: 2-3 days in workshop.

[/url]

Wow that seems like a great price! I spent Rs. 31,000 for BC-08 coating at Autotech, New Delhi and BC-04 is a a grade above that in the Modesta line-up.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:10   #327

I have done ceramic coating on all my cars, mostly by Detailing Devils. At couple of occasions even Ceramic Pro coating was done. For me, none of the ceramic coatings is scratch proof. Not even resistant to daily cleaning by micro fiber clothes. Car look stunning until you reach home from the studio and that's it. I believe, only benefit of ceramic coating is that it prevents the paint from getting that "yellow" effect in long time use, especially on white color.

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_7460.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-untitled.png
rvarghese is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 16:59   #328
BHPian

Here's my review of Modesta BC-08 ceramic coating for my Creta 2020 at Autotech, New Delhi.

I found Autotech after practically speaking to every 4.5*+ rated detailer in NCR for getting a PPF and/or Ceramic coating on my new Creta 2020. Autotech had the most competitive prices among the detailers listed by brand like Xpel on their website, so that was a major criteria considering the amount of marketing hype and fakes in NCR.

Speaking to the owner, Rahul, sealed the deal for me. Rahul came across as personally invested in protecting and maintaining the vanity of your car. He provided genuinely good suggestions and worked with me for 3 weeks on accomplishing the same at a bare minimal cost. As a PSU employee, I was candid about my limited budget but Rahul helped me reduce the bill by cutting extra vanity items like C pillar and stock alloy repainting, interior coating, windshield plex film, as if it was his own car.

In the end we dropped PPF completely, as I was only interested in getting Xpel Ultimate Plus if at all (everything else seemed 2nd grade to be honest) and despite finding another BHPian (deepakdograbhp) to share the cost, it didn't seem worthwhile for a Creta, where repainting the panel might be cheaper.

We went with Modesta BC-08 and I'm happy with the results. Based on my online research, Modesta is considered among the best and in the same league if not superior to Ceramic Pro, C Quartz, Opticoat, Gyeon, Gtechniq etc.

My first reaction/same day views: The car looks glossy and the coating has already protected against a bike graze. Bird droppings and dust come off easily with a microfiber and spray of water alone.

The coating cost me Rs. 31, 000 with taxes. I got SMS and web-updates as well as online bill. Payment options available were UPI based apps and I used Google Pay.

Rahul was also most industrious in neatly installing a dashcam and front camera which I had purchased from Amazon (Campark dual dash cam; will post review on Dashcam thread), free of charge. He leads his team from the front and inspires confidence for jobs beyond detailing.

He advised me a dry wash method which involves spraying a panel with water, spraying the microfibre cloth and then wiping the panel with the wet cloth. Wipe again with a dry microfibre cloth. Flip the cloth after it picks up dust from a few panels.

Although Autotech is located 1 hour (one way) away from me, it is conveniently right next to the Udyog Nagar Metro station. The detailing store is functional, air conditioned, CCTV covered and has a small waiting area and a customer toilet.

All in all, I had a great experience with Rahul at Autotech and would happily recommend his services to friends and family. I'll be seeing more of him in the coming years and will probably end up getting those stock alloys and C pillar painted black sometime in the future.

2 week update:
I have been following Rahul's dry wash method, but using Proklear Raw CX Extreme instead of water. I also use a TPH Pilot 373 cover on an almost daily basis (will post review on car cover thread)

As far as the coating is concerned, it has been 2 weeks and the water beading effect is still visible. The car can and has picked up scratches. As far gloss, ease of cleaning or even relative scratch resistance is concerned, to be really I really cannot tell as this is my first experience with ceramic coating. It is definitely better than my repainted 2008 Honda City, but then again I never did care for it as well this car.

So far no one has approached me with compliments/enquiries based on the gloss and when I took the car for its first wash at Safdarjung Hyundai, the folk there couldn't tell the if the car had a coating till I mentioned it.

Maybe I'll be able to compare it side-by-side with another black Creta 2020 which doesn't have a coating and be able to tell the difference. So while I am happy with the product (Modest BC-08) and detailer (Rahul at Autotech), ceramic coating as an investment hasn't quite vowed me, yet.

A couple of tips:

1. If you are driving to Autotech from Madipur side then take the U Turn after Udyog Nagar Metro Station and then turn left through the service road into the parallel street. Google Map routes is blocked and the car goes into the store from back and comes out in front, towards the main road. Call Rahul 5 mins before reaching.

2. Went back for the complimentary wash after 7 days but my car was fairly clean so a dry wash sufficed. In hindsight, I should have waited longer for it to get a bit more dirtier. I would have learnt his wet wash technique and justified the 2 hour drive from home and back.

The car during the curing process at Autotech
The Ceramic Coating Thread-whatsapp-image-20201021-8.12.26-pm.jpg

Water beading effect after 2 weeks during the first service wash
The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_20201109_102425-1.jpg

How the car looks after weeks, post a wash
The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_20201109_111127-1.jpg

Last edited by iamitp : 10th November 2020 at 17:01.
iamitp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 16:10   #329
BHPian

Hello TBHPians, I request your advice regarding ceramic coating for my new black Hyundai Tuscon.

- I assume that this is worth doing to keep the shiny black colour for longer in our dusty city. I have read through this long thread and have some queries

- I expect that the cost will be around Rs. 45k to 50k and that it takes a few days for the process.

- What is a good place to get this done? I stay in the HAL area, near Indiranagar, Bangalore

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 16th November 2020 at 16:27.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 17:16   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
So I zeroed in on Avalon King the DIY solution, as people swear by this product in America.
What a coincidence.

I used the same product a few days earlier than you on my 15 year old Swift and the results were so encouraging I went ahead and coated my 82' Bullet and my 86' Gypsy. The only difference is I spent some time claying and buffing out the vehicles with pads that I got for my variable speed drill from Aliexpress. It's a no brainer if one has decent DIY skills and isn't expecting the mirror level finish that detailer's get (the effort I put in in terms of time is probably minuscule compared to what they do).

I too was surprised by how little of the solution one actually required, and have almost half a bottle left post my handiwork.

Heres a link to what I did
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...ml#post4895831 (Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money)
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks