Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 12:56   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

If I am right, Ceramic Pro is one of the most expensive of the ceramic/nano treatments, sold from dedicated showrooms.

In the circumstances, expect major claims to be made. Big claims call for big proof. Maybe they can show not.

Whatever, there are probably cheaper treatments that may be as good.
Old 29th August 2018, 13:41   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I am right, Ceramic Pro is one of the most expensive of the ceramic/nano treatments, sold from dedicated showrooms.

In the circumstances, expect major claims to be made. Big claims call for big proof. Maybe they can show not.

Whatever, there are probably cheaper treatments that may be as good.
Disclaimer
I'm in no way a commercially interested party in any of the mentioned companies.

This is from my experience.
Opti coat from Optimum technologies is the VFM Silicon Carbide coating that blends with the clear coat of the car and has stood good amount of abuse for 3+ years in our conditions.
They give a warranty upto 7 years depending on the package you choose from.

I have gone with a cheaper treatment from a really well known/thorough applier for my smaller car. But 2 years is all what it could stand.

So my two points of conclusions are
1. The quality of application matters a lot (dust free zone, expertise of the applier, Quality Control overall)
2. The product matters.

And let me reiterate I'm no expert. But this is what I've tested and concluded. (this also includes various Bhpian cars)

If you still want to go ahead with waxing and polishing every year it is an excellent option too. Though the economics over a 4 year Period works in favor of these coatings though. (Assuming you use topnotch products and detailer)

If anyone disagrees with me I totally get it after all detailing is a very subjective topic.

Last edited by johannskaria : 29th August 2018 at 13:42.
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:36   #198
BHPian

Got the ceramic coating for the car done from PMP Car Care - Mumbai

The Product used was Gyeon MOHS

Sandesh Shetty was awesome at his work. I'll let the pictures do the talking
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-fioa9507.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-fjqc3664.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-hmju5264.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_6672.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_6677.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_6678.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-iqoi7406.jpg  

girish.purswani is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 00:29   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Got ceramic done for the new celerio in the family. Opted for Gyeon Mohs
The Ceramic Coating Thread-1.jpg
The Ceramic Coating Thread-3.jpg
The Ceramic Coating Thread-2.jpg
The Ceramic Coating Thread-4.jpg
The Ceramic Coating Thread-6.jpg
procrj is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 00:57   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Got ceramic done for the new celerio in the family. Opted for Gyeon Mohs
Looks great, planning for alloys??
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 09:46   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Looks great, planning for alloys??
Thanks shashi. No vitamin M right now. Might pick them up sometime next year.
procrj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 10:52   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post

4. Driving in rain is far more comfortable with a coated windshield.
Can anyone help with long term experiences of coated windshield. I am ususally hesitant using any sort of film or anything on windshield in case there is an impact for night driving
Old 7th November 2018, 13:21   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

No doubt these coatings look wonderful, and hopefully they make maintenance easier, but there seems to be a lot of hype about hardness and actual deal world resistance to scratches.

I'm wondering specifically if any coating is harder than and resistant to... Cat claws?
Old 7th November 2018, 18:58   #204
BHPian

Quote:
No doubt these coatings look wonderful, and hopefully they make maintenance easier, but there seems to be a lot of hype about hardness and actual deal world resistance to scratches.

I'm wondering specifically if any coating is harder than and resistant to... Cat claws?
These coatings will and do get scratched.A lot of the terminology is just marketing.
shrjun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 19:28   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These coatings will and do get scratched
That's pretty-much what I thought. But the claw of a dog/cat is not very hard on the scale of things.

The essential problem is that car paint is sensitive to the very things it is going to be exposed to. Like bird crap, and even... sunlight!

Old 7th November 2018, 19:47   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
I'm in no way a commercially interested party in any of the mentioned companies.
This is from my experience.
Opti coat from Optimum technologies is the VFM Silicon Carbide coating that blends with the clear coat of the car and has stood good amount of abuse for 3+ years in our conditions.
While it is not clear why it is called Ceramic coating (to me) or if it is a ceramic coating, one thing is clear. The prep work is what is giving paint its shine in the end - Not the coating, which is merely protecting the amazing compounding work.

The Prep work before the coating is paint correction (compounding etc), it removes the orange peel, cleans up the paint and give it a better finish than the factory has - almost a show car quality paint correction. It is interesting to note that even premium German cars come factory equipped with orange peel. So this is a labor intensive process, else they would have done this in factory.

Does anyone have information of why its called ceramic coating? my guess is its just another paint sealant with a fancy name, which otherwise is a synthetic lacquer.

Last edited by ampere : 6th January 2019 at 13:55. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 8th November 2018, 03:40   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Excuse my ignorance, but what would the chemical essence of ceramic, as we normally think of the word, be? Silica?
Old 8th November 2018, 08:46   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's pretty-much what I thought. But the claw of a dog/cat is not very hard on the scale of things.
The hardness factor that is trumpeted is a marketing gimmick IMHO. A lot of ceramics are not necessarily hard but still do a good job protecting paint from all the elements that come in contact with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The prep work is what is giving paint its shine in the end - Not the coating, which is merely protecting the amazing compounding work.
that's the case with any kind of wax/sealant as well. better the prep, better the finished look.

Quote:
Does anyone have information of why its called ceramic coating? my guess is its just another paint sealant with a fancy name, which otherwise is a synthetic lacquer.
Called ceramic probably because of the Silica content (SiO2 and SiC). Marketing speak, maybe OEMs wanted to lean on the anti corrosion and heat resistant nature of ceramics and hence decided to call it that. A single strong association with clearly defined values makes it easier to sell vis a vis something that's quiet amorphous - like nano sealant

I would say its one step better than the nano/polymer pain sealants because of its longevity(saying this after using Optimum Opti seal on my cars for a few years now). Its been more than a year since I got a single coat of ceramic on my TUVs bonnet (as a test) and here is how it looks today. This is just after a simple water wash. Given the size of the bonnet, I have had to clean all sorts of gunk off the top. Even after all that abuse, the coating does its job and its very easy to wash generally hard to remove contaminants like bird droppings, fig fruit explosions and so on.
The Ceramic Coating Thread-cer1.jpg

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what would the chemical essence of ceramic, as we normally think of the word, be? Silica?
Yep Si is the core if I am not mistaken. But in today's complex age, industrial ceramics make use of just about every metal oxide and Si compounds. They even have superconducting ceramics - oxymoron for me!
procrj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 03:57   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Slightly off topic here - Why cant we use this stuff on our mobile phones? We wont need screen guards or covers.
Sorry for going off topic here, but I found a product based on the exact same idea for mobiles with curved screens.

https://www.spigen.in/collections/ga...tr-nano-liquid

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th December 2018 at 03:59.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 09:25   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Suffice to say that this would be the gold standard of affordable surface protection for those who do not want to waste time or money in the super-high profit industry of faux quartz/ceramic coating.

Costs 15$ on Amazon, I guess the India price should be about 2-3k, but dead cheap if it can last 4-5 re-sprays over a year. Not that I'm buying anyway but looks real nice.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks