Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2017, 18:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

So ideally, if we are looking to do ceramic coats according to him with his experience, max recommended is 3 coats. Infact I have only done 2 coats on the Octavia and man she shines much much better than the showroom shine even after 4 months now.

This was precisely the reason that I chose to go for 3 coats of 9h and 1 coat of light. I would also recommend just going for 2 coats of 9h and 1 coat of light. This will give us a low entry cost and also give us the opportunity to probably do another 2 coats if required after 2-3 years.

This 2 coats can be maintained by using the Ceramic Pro Sport once in 6 months. The wash and Sport coating should not cost you more than 1k.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 21:33   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Your memory is super perfect!! Its Ceramic Pro is not worth that price esp for the 9H pencil scale harness!!
I had been hunting around for another brand (name forgotten), but they seemed to have disappeared from the address given on their website. Noticed the Ceramic Pro showroom, but, after reading those reviews, I didn't even bother to make a phone call (which demonstrates either how powerful the web is, or how easily swayed I am. Or both. ). So there was not a huge amount to remember.

Looks like Car Cares, near me, does the CQuartz. Every penny I have is currently allocated for something, but that does include a basic inside/outside thorough detailing session, so I'll enquire when I'm there.

But I might get tempted.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th April 2017 at 21:35.
Old 9th April 2017, 17:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

These treatments are no doubt very good, but their VFM factor decreases at every extra layer added. Plus my car is parked under the sun 24x7, not sure if I can maintain the car as they have mentioned on the CeramicPro website.

I'm always tempted to goto a detailer and spend some money on such treatments, but at the end of the day, the prices are simply too exhorbitant for my humble Punto. The minimum rate I enquiried of 20k rupees (it was a 6 month package)is almost equivalent to 2.5 months of petrol.

Even the basic 3M yearly packages are getting very high. So I have armed myself with a jopasu, some basic car shampoo and good ol' Turtle Wax. I wash the car once every 2-3 months myself. And take to local washing centre once every 6-7 months as he has a car lift. Yes the monsoon season causes some extra efforts, but then it's just the 4 months of the year.

Would my opinion on this be different if I had a Ferrari in my Garage? - Definitley. Such high end treatments are best suited for high end cars and bikes.
blackwasp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 02:07   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have ceramic coating on both my cars - but not this brand. From what I understand, the coating binds itself to the original paint of the car, increasing its 'thickness'. So theoretically, it should protect the car against minor scratches.

The real benefit is protection against bird droppings, tree sap droppings etc and that the car will be easy to clean (because the coatings will have water repellent capabilities). Note the "water beading" effect -

Regarding the ceramic pro scratch test, ask the guy to scratch the car with a stone or key, rather than bopping it with a bottle cap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I inquired for a ceramic coat from a local dealer. He offered me a brand called Opti-coat Pro for 22,000 for a Creta with a "5 year warranty if maintained properly". I preferred 3M/ Waxoyl instead because, for that price, you can get their 7-stage treatment 4 times over 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Let's keep the cost aside. I guess everyone in the detailing business is in it to make some money.

I will do a detailed write up after testing it out for another 3 months. 5-6 months should be ideal for a review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I did a ceramic coating on my 8 year old car all by myself. With the ceramic coating the car look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
A very interesting discussion around ceramic coats.

On all cars except the Octavia, I had done the regular wax based detailing, however on the Octavia, I consciously opted for the Diamond Ceramic Coat. My reasons for opting for Diamond Ceramic Coat and not a regular coat were as follows
[list][*]The paint quality in general of Europeans cars is far superior than the Indian, Korean or Japanese counterparts. This is achieved because of the amount of layering that goes into the production process is in general higher than others. So the gloss that the ceramic is able to throw back, if far superior than what it would do on any of the other brands. I am not advocating that the paint quality is poor in other cars, just that one look at the European paint quality and you know its different.
[*]Scratches if any on a ceramic coated car are superficial, unless someone has deliberately tried to scratch the car with a sharp object.

For folks who want to read the process of how the process of applying coat

Would be glad to answer questions if any.
This thread on ceramic coats is the need of the hour.
Appreciate all your inputs.

This is what I do:
*Apply 3M synthetic wax sealant every 3 months and it gives me fantastic water beading/dust repellant effect.(works for an year in the USA)

*Dust the car everyday with Jopasu/Roger duster

*Use waterless wash and wax every 3 days.

*RainX for Waterbeading on glasses (bi monthly or as per need)

All my cars look awesome even after 6 to 7 years of ownership

How is the ceramic coating better than the procedure I follow?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Has anyone here done a DIY ceramic coat?
I would be interested if this product comes under a "Do it yourself"

Last edited by ecosport rules : 10th April 2017 at 02:10.
ecosport rules is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 02:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
This is what I do:
========

*Use waterless wash and wax every 3 days.

========
thanks for sharing the steps you follow. You certainly are a Car lover!
''*Use waterless wash and wax every 3 days. '' Can you please explain what this process is all about? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th April 2017 at 09:01. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 07:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the ceramic coating better than the procedure I follow?
Minor scratches caused up to a thing like pencil will be avoided; practically or in real terms, using even a slightly dirty MF cloth will 100% prevent swirl marks from formed. A sealant or wax can NEVER do this.

But yes, this also can be avoided if one always remains vigilant in always using a clean MF cloth or use scratch remover once in a year or so.

Quote:
Please correct me if I am wrong
I've been doing the same for over 7 years now, just that, the waxing (liquid, not paste wax) can be done once in a month, in Indian conditions. If there's a sealant, then, waxing is not required + if at all do be done, once in 8+ months for a superior brand.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 08:37   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe this is just me becoming less and less of an enthusiast as life goes on, but there comes a point where one has to ask how much is too much. To me the ceramic/quartz coating is too much, personal opinion please take note.

Earlier I felt the 3M folks were frivolous, I mean come on, 5-6 years ago they had come in, charging Rs.450-600 for a plain ol' shampoo wash (glorified as foam wash) and over Rs.3k-Rs.4k for "treatments". I blame 3M squarely for opening my eyes to previously unknown concepts of swirl marks, paint dulling and UV damage, once you learn to spot a swirl mark that's all you can look at in every car.. a friend came to show me his new black car and all I could see was swirl marks. Now treatments like PPF (paint protection film), protection coating of wax etc have become a norm at obscene prices, thanks 3M.

I draw the line at hard-coating/nano-coating, there comes a time where something just seems too much. Lets also not forget that while the coating will repel water and prevent sun/dust damage to the paint, it also will create massive swirl marks if not cared for, touch-ups and other body treatment? Forget it, until the layer is sanded/buffed off which itself is a task. Yes I've read about it and I'd personally run a mile from such places.

Of course there are people who like experimenting with or pampering their car, and do not mind spending a small fortune in the process (hey I get it, I'm a spendthrift too but no longer for cars), this coating will not hurt at all. I'm happy with routine maintenance and a wax/shampoo once a month done personally, props to one of the locality home owner who has a BMW 3 Series parked outside in sun/rain and just routinely washes it, nothing much else. That car looks like a real car. ;-)
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 12:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
thanks for sharing the steps you follow. You certainly are a Car lover!
''*Use waterless wash and wax every 3 days. '' Can you please explain what this process is all about? Thanks in advance.
1)Dilute the waterless wash concentrate as per instructions
2)Spray evenly on one panel at a time ,wait for few seconds and wipe it off with a microfiber (Turn it frequently)
3)Use a fully dry microfibre cloth to dry each panel

Takes less than 20 minutes for the entire car

Last edited by ecosport rules : 10th April 2017 at 12:14.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 12:30   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

If I got ceramic/nano coating, would my bottle of ONR Wash and Shine become useless? Would the advice even be against using it?
Old 10th April 2017, 13:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I got ceramic/nano coating, would my bottle of ONR Wash and Shine become useless? Would the advice even be against using it?
Waterless wash will NEVER go useless. It HAS & SHOULD be used even in India, even if the car is parked in garage for months. That is the kind of ground pollution here.

This is precisely the advantage of using ceramic pro or quartz or anything to do with coating & IR drying methods.
Old 10th April 2017, 15:02   #71
BHPian

Just ordered this 9H ceramic coating. Costs 4500 rupees for a bottle , will get it done by my local painter after using rubbing compound . These detailing guys charge exorbitantly . 200 TO 300 % profit is not ethical.
Frankenstein is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 16:53   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
will get it done by my local painter after using rubbing compound
Just a suggestion for a DIYer like me - You can get it done all yourself as well; there will be usually an applicator pad that is along with this (CQuartz & Gyeon has) & all you need to do is, clean the surface again & if there's a prep compound, apply it & then you're ready.

And being in Hyderabad & being this Summer, you don't need IR for curing as well.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 18:33   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Just a suggestion for a DIYer like me - You can get it done all yourself as well; there will be usually an applicator pad that is along with this (CQuartz & Gyeon has) & all you need to do is, clean the surface again & if there's a prep compound, apply it & then you're ready.

And being in Hyderabad & being this Summer, you don't need IR for curing as well.

I purchased 58x car ceramic coating kit through Aliexpress which costed around Rs.6,100 and applied myself on the car. It took only half of the bottle to cover complete i20. Water beading effect is good and I haven't done any scratch test. Water beading test video available in below link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...elite-i20.html

Last edited by narasimha raju : 10th April 2017 at 18:40.
narasimha raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 19:25   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by narasimha raju View Post
I purchased 58x car ceramic coating kit through Aliexpress which costed around Rs.6,100 and applied myself on the car.
So, if we can buy a bottle and do it ourselves, just like we apply polish and wax? I have a year old XUV, with paint quality still good (no paint swirls seen)- except for a few scratches near one bumper (misjudged a pillar in a badly designed parking lot). I was planning to clay, polish and wax the XUV over the next few weeks, would not mind adding a ceramic coating to this. However, I will be relying on elbow grease, unless I receive some recommendations for a reasonably priced polisher.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 20:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
So, if we can buy a bottle and do it ourselves, just like we apply polish and wax?...unless I receive some recommendations for a reasonably priced polisher.
Absolutely YES

Your options...
1. Difficult
  • Clean to bone by removing dust, tree sap, tar spots, water spot, greese, oil & any other contamination with multiple methods right from washing to claying to untarring to degreasing to what not on every possible surface right from wheel cladding to roof rails to glass to plastics to fog lamps to rear lights
  • Improve the surface by bringing shine - multiple methods here right from removing swirls to enhancing surface using polish to compounds from hand to machine
  • Then apply ceramic coating on perfect paint surface & then apply sealant/wax or both

2. Moderate
  • Find out who's the best detailer in your town & who can come to your house & do a perfect detailing job
  • Stop them right after they've enhanced the surface & then carry out your coating followed by sealant/wax or both

For both the above methods, the biggest challenge will be - ensure you're carrying this out in a near to dust free environment; more apt will be right after a rain where the ground pollution will be at minimal with a downside of high curing time OR during summer for quick curing time at the cost of high dust environment.

Personally my suggestion would be #2 because I'm sure no one stocks a DA, compounds & their corresponding pads at home for a job that is going to be done once a year or so.

Last edited by aargee : 10th April 2017 at 20:32.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks