Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2017, 12:57   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

I found PPF good value as my brand new car had a nasty scrape, and 3M just heated the PPF film, removed it and I couldnt believe my eyes as the thick film had absorbed the impact. And, Just like that my car was back to being new. I would suggest using it only on bumpers. Please see the before and after pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Apart from this he also advised for basic 3M services(Not PPF) which he told are worth the money spent.
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-bimg_0553.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-aimg_0679.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 13:00   #152
BHPian

Has anyone seen excessive watermarking after using ceramic coating? Specifically cars that get wet and dry periodically without a wash after every rain.
Old 13th December 2017, 17:52   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Has anyone seen excessive watermarking after using ceramic coating? Specifically cars that get wet and dry periodically without a wash after every rain.

Irrespective of the coating, darker colours are bound to show watermarking. It definitely has watermarks after a rain, especially if it were to dry out in the sun.
Old 14th December 2017, 14:56   #154
BHPian

My two cents on this. I was much curious about this ceramic coating product, so purchased a bottle of Mr. Fix 9H ceramic coating from aliexpress. Being a chineese product, I wanted to evaluate the performance before applying on my car. So, applied it to a spare shark fin antennae and on my scale model X5. Anyway, below are my observations and precuations to take care of.

Claimed properties and observations:

1. Super hydrophobic glass coating - I can vouch for the superb hydrophobic properties. Its excellent. Exactly like the videos. Water beads flawlessly. Need to check, how long it will last.

2. H9 hardness - Since i can't measure the H9 hardness, i can't comment on it. It's sure that a layer is formed over the paint and is hard. Hardness depends on the number of coatings.

3. Act as a sacrifical barrier coating over the surface of your car's coat. - Yes. there is a coating created over the clear coat and request to refer the above point.

4. Protect your car from aging, fading, weather and sunlight erosion, acid rain, industry powder, etc. - Yet to test it

5. To avoid car scratches, so that the car is more shiny as new - Hmm. something fishy here. I agree that the car will be safe from minor scratches and safe from some materials that won't actually scratch the car. The demo videos use bootle caps and lighters, that will not do much harm to a double coated area, if scratched without much pressure. What happens in the demo videos are the platic gets sticked to the coating, which can be wiped without any issues. If you try hard, the process can even create a bend or if you try with a knife, it can defenitely create a deep scratch. I tested this on my test piece (Ceramic coated spare shark fin antennae). So
don't expect any miracle scratch proof property with this product. I can guarantee that, this can withstand your rag, if not used with much pressure.

Application:

Follow the procedure as per the leaflet or the video. Do consider the below points during application.

1. You will be provided 4-5 application clothes and a sponge. Take one cloth and if required, you can cut it to half and use it, which helps you to avoid the shortage of cloth, if you planning to do step by step. Application cloth also will get harder, once the coating is cured. So you cannot reuse the application cloth.
2. Seller don't want me to apply this product on painted plastic trim and glass. He suggested another product for it.
3. Don't wait too long to wipe off, else it will harden and the marks won't go off without polishing.
4. Ensure that the area is free from water marks, dust and any other particles. If you apply over a water mark, it will be sealed with the coating. It can be referred as a sealant that can seal anything under it.
5. Don't expect a high gloss after applying this. Make the paint glow before applying this, and this will seal that glow.

Note:

1. Now Mr. Fix it comes with an anti fake scratch card also. So beware of fake or clone of the clones. Reference link
sujithsidhardha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 15:09   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
My two cents on this. I was much curious about this ceramic coating product, so purchased a bottle of Mr. Fix 9H ceramic coating from aliexpress. Being a chineese product, I wanted to evaluate the performance before applying on my car. So, applied it to a spare shark fin antennae and on my scale model X5. Anyway, below are my observations and precuations to take care of.

Note:

1. Now Mr. Fix it comes with an anti fake scratch card also. So beware of fake or clone of the clones. Reference link
I ended up buying a similar one by recommendation from my friend Sunny and I must say its a brilliant product for the price paid. I tried it on the tank of my Ninja and the already deep black looks better now. After application, it is now easy to wipe water droplets from the surface and it also repels water like crazy.

Happy with the purchase and will do more experiments with it. For the price paid, its definitely worth it. Only question that it should still answer is how long it will last. If it lasts anything more than two or three months, with the same water repelling effect, its definitely worth it. I have been using collinite 845 and Meguiars M21 sealant for my cars and the only issue with it is the longevity. If that gets addressed, then I will get it for my cars as well and then use the sealant for topping up. Not sure how better the expensive ones will be though. Maybe they really last long?
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

It has been 03 months now that I have got my 2012 VW Polo 1.6 ceramic coated and even though I feel it is too early to say, I can say that until now I am fairly satisfied with it.

I have found that it is prone to minor scratches or scuffs which are easily removable with a rubbing compound but I am happy to say that there are absolutely no swirl marks what so ever.
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:34   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hello everyone,

It has been 03 months now that I have got my 2012 VW Polo 1.6 ceramic coated and even though I feel it is too early to say, I can say that until now I am fairly satisfied with it.

I have found that it is prone to minor scratches or scuffs which are easily removable with a rubbing compound but I am happy to say that there are absolutely no swirl marks what so ever.
It has been 4 months, I got my crysta ceramic coated. Car does have self cleaning properties. How hydrophobic is your car now? Are you sure rubbing compound can be used? It might strip the coating as well.
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-20171114_153111.jpg  

Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 16:26   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
It has been 4 months, I got my crysta ceramic coated. Car does have self cleaning properties. How hydrophobic is your car now? Are you sure rubbing compound can be used? It might strip the coating as well.
I have not checked how hydrophobic my car is at the moment. A month ago, my car was sort of vandalized where someone had made a scratch on the read door. I was heartbroken that I had to face such a situation after spending so much on the ceramic coat. I took it back to where I got the coating done an they used a rubbing compound and rotary polisher to clear off the scratch. I believe there is a free 06 month touch up of the ceramic coat? At least this is what my detailer has offered.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 13:00   #159
Senior - BHPian

My car has now started to show slight signs of swirl marks. This is only seen when under bright sunlight, else the gloss is still there. This is even after washing the car every alternate day with a micro fiber cloth. Car is not washed by the watchman but by my office housekeeping staff so extra care is taken during the process.

One thing is for sure, the ceramic coating is just a protective layer on the paint. I do not believe that it is less prone to scratches as compared to a non-ceramic coated car. The good part in this is that scratched can be removed by using a rubbing compound on the affected surface. Yes the coating will lessen in time but at least the OEM clear coat is in tack.

My conclusion - Since ceramic coatings are available online anyway for way cheaper, it is best that one get their car detailed and then apply the coating themselves as I feel the premium paid for this coating is too much as compared to their durability.
Epic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 01:55   #160
BHPian

Why are the detailing chains charging so much for ceramic coating when they just detail the car (which usually cost 6-8k maximum) and apply the ceramic coating. So why are they charging the people 50k+ for this coating? Is there any detailer in Delhi who will detail my car and apply the ceramic coating that I'll purchase from the after market? (It costs anywhere between 3-10k for a good one)
Old 20th February 2018, 12:00   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terrorist View Post
Why are the detailing chains charging so much for ceramic coating when they just detail the car (which usually cost 6-8k maximum) and apply the ceramic coating. So why are they charging the people 50k+ for this coating? Is there any detailer in Delhi who will detail my car and apply the ceramic coating that I'll purchase from the after market? (It costs anywhere between 3-10k for a good one)
I am not sure about your experience but for my XUV, ceramic coating costed me less than 30K. This involved raw materials worth 25K which I have personally seen. So i found it extremely reasonable.

Cheers
Old 20th February 2018, 12:54   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why are the detailing chains charging so much for ceramic coating when they just detail the car (which usually cost 6-8k maximum) and apply the ceramic coating. So why are they charging the people 50k+ for this coating? ... ...
These coatings seem to vary widely in price. Whether or not there is any certain relationship between price and quality/effectiveness is moot. The very high-price services probably appeal to a generation which has rebelled against the frugality of its parents and grandparents to the point of making a virtue of wasting money. Fashion and restaurants, right? All fancy décor, blah blah blah, but what is the food really like!

The higher-price market also requires fancy showrooms, complete with deep-gloss-resplendent high-end show vehicle. All that has to be financed. Better we stick with detailers working from sheds!

I'm not sure of this (well, I'm not really sure of any of this post: just guessing!) but I think that the the high cost of application also milks a market that believes that the application itself is a highly skilled process. The truth is [?] that the products have moved from being substances that did take a lot of skill to apply to availability (even from serious car-care manufacturers) of wipe-on-and-leave stuff.

I think we are agreed here that the real skills are in the preparation. But the market will not stand very inflated prices for this part of the work.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 13:19   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
These coatings seem to vary widely in price. Whether or not there is any certain relationship between price and quality/effectiveness is moot. The very high-price services probably appeal to a generation which has rebelled against the frugality of its parents and grandparents to the point of making a virtue of wasting money. Fashion and restaurants, right? All fancy décor, blah blah blah, but what is the food really like!

The higher-price market also requires fancy showrooms, complete with deep-gloss-resplendent high-end show vehicle. All that has to be financed. Better we stick with detailers working from sheds!

I'm not sure of this (well, I'm not really sure of any of this post: just guessing!) but I think that the the high cost of application also milks a market that believes that the application itself is a highly skilled process. The truth is [?] that the products have moved from being substances that did take a lot of skill to apply to availability (even from serious car-care manufacturers) of wipe-on-and-leave stuff.

I think we are agreed here that the real skills are in the preparation. But the market will not stand very inflated prices for this part of the work.
Agreed that it wouldn't sustain, but what are my options as of now? I want get my new endeavour coated for as less as possible.
Old 20th February 2018, 13:48   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
what are my options as of now?
Have to leave that one to the Delhi guys.

One thing, though. I don't think I would attempt self-application at my place, where stuff gets dusty in minutes.
Old 3rd May 2018, 00:36   #165
BHPian

I ordered 3 bottles of Mr-Fix9H Link which arrived in a couple of weeks. The package contained 1 bottle of the product, a few paper-like tissues & an applicator sponge.

The whether over the weekend was less windy & I was able to spare some to apply it on my V-cross (Black). This process was carried out in a ventilated parking with insufficient lightning.

I washed the truck with some bottle of car shampoo I bought at big bazaar (3M, in all probability) using a clean microfiber mitt & later dried it up with an unbranded microfiber cloth. Then I tried comprehending the steps provided in the leaflet they came with the product. The instructions were badly translated to English & were very ambiguous. I just followed the video they had on their website. (Wash -> Dry -> apply in criss/cross -> 5 min -> swirl wipe with a damp cloth -> wipe with a dry cloth).

Goods
1. Good packaging - All the bottles arrived in their own retail cardboard packaging in the yellow paper bag thingy & none of them had any leaks
2. The package contents seem to be of good quality
3. Easy application
4. Easy to wipe off if you follow the drying time (see bad # 2)
5. Good after-gloss
6. The product seems to meet the 9H hardness level (again, see bad # 2)

Bads
1. The applicator sponge is a size too small. My thumbs started aching halfway in the process
2. Must follow the drying time to the T. I had to attend a call after I applied this on one of the panels & exceeded the drying time by about 10 minutes. It took me around 20 minutes to get this thing off that panel. To add, I missed to wipe it off a few spots (thanks to the insufficient lighting) & now I can't get it off at all (See good # 6).

I forgot to take the before & after pictures to justify the purchase. The paint seems to be more glossy & the water does not seem to stick on the surface anymore. I'll try to get some pictures as & when the time permits.
StreetAddict is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks