Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2017, 11:56   #46
BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
1) The "coating" is not something you can touch, feel and "remove". The liquid chemically binds to the paint.
By remove I did not mean something that you can "peel off". But since the coating sits on top of the paint (it adds certain microns of thickness as advertised), one would need to remove it using abrasive means before a panel can be repainted. Is that right ?
What I was trying to understand was that if working with a coated panel made it different/difficult as compared to regular uncoated surfaces. If it is just as easy as an uncoated surface, then maybe the hardness and protection capabilities of the coating need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
mustang_shelby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 14:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can this be done on a 4 year old car which has its fair share of scratches & swirl marks? Or is ceramic coating best on a brand new car? Will getting it done on an older car make the scratches & swirl marks less visible?
I did a ceramic coating on my 8 year old car all by myself. With the ceramic coating the car looks better than it did when it was brand new.

With a ceramic coating, the car is easier to detail : the car looks amazing after every rinseless/waterless wash.

I can vouch that ceramic coating has a minor swirl filling ability (but one should ideally should go in for a paint treatment before undertaking the ceramic coating).
nishsingh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 14:26   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I did a ceramic coating on my 8 year old car all by myself. With the ceramic coating the car looks better than it did when it was brand new.

With a ceramic coating, the car is easier to detail : the car looks amazing after every rinseless/waterless wash.

I can vouch that ceramic coating has a minor swirl filling ability (but one should ideally should go in for a paint treatment before undertaking the ceramic coating).
Hi,

Would you please care to share the product details and process of your ceramic coating process.

Would be helpful for us
dheepak10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 14:44   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
What I was trying to understand was that if working with a coated panel made it different/difficult as compared to regular uncoated surfaces.
It's a an important question. If someone just wants to do touch-up on a minor scuff or scratch: will the coating try to reject the paint?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 15:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

I just recently happened to have a Ceramic Quartz Coating done through Sumant of OCD Detail Studio in Mumbai on my one month old Busa and this is how it looks now. Can't comment on the long term benefits yet as I have no personal experience, but I have seen bikes, which are still holding the coat well even after a year.

Some Pictures:

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1153.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1154.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1155.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1159.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1160.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1162.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-12.jpg
SnS_12 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 17:49   #51
BHPian

A very interesting discussion around ceramic coats. I usually get my cars detailed once a year as a standard process. My history of cars have been as follows Zen Estilo (sold), Hyundai i10 (sold), Honda City (sold recently), Hyundai Grand i10 (1 year old) and Skoda Octavia (4 months old)

On all cars except the Octavia, I had done the regular wax based detailing, however on the Octavia, I consciously opted for the Diamond Ceramic Coat. My reasons for opting for Diamond Ceramic Coat and not a regular coat were as follows
  • The paint quality in general of Europeans cars is far superior than the Indian, Korean or Japanese counterparts. This is achieved because of the amount of layering that goes into the production process is in general higher than others. So the gloss that the ceramic is able to throw back, if far superior than what it would do on any of the other brands. I am not advocating that the paint quality is poor in other cars, just that one look at the European paint quality and you know its different.
  • Scratches if any on a ceramic coated car are superficial, unless someone has deliberately tried to scratch the car with a sharp object.
  • Though the cost was higher, but any whichever ways I got correction course every 6 months free for 3 years. So if I work the mathematics, INR 30,000 for 3 years with every six months of free correction that works to INR 6000 per visit (works as say prepaid). Meaning, if I was to do regular wax coat, and then choose to spend 5k per visit and take the car every six months and for three years I would anyways would have spent INR 25,000. So for 1k more, I got a better quality coat.
  • The shine on the car post the coat is definitely superior to a regular wax coat and as mentioned earlier posts, it also protects the car from dust and grime as the coat does not let the dust or grime settle on the car.

The only draw back probably that I see is I had to fire the car washing guy, unless I chose to give him a micro fiber cloth specially for my car. And considering how these guys are, in general careless, I did not want to take the chances.

Wiping the car clean is a 10-15 minutes job. I am sure, it probably will be painful in monsoons. However, rest 8 months, I don't foresee any challenge.

For folks who want to read the process of how the process of applying coat was, I have uploaded the same in my review of the Octavia.

Here's the link- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...isorder-3.html

Would be glad to answer questions if any.
sawnilrules is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 17:57   #52
BHPian

I have got the Ceramic Pro done on my Mustang. Its been almost 2 months and i would say its a very good product specially for someone who is very possesive with his cars. The car always shines and being scratch resistance it gives me a little peace of mind.

Before this i have an Audi S4 in Metallic Blue colour. Just by looking at the round marks on the hood i used to pretty upset cause of the 3M coat i used to get done every week.

I would say a must have for the exotics.
ksgehlot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 18:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
On all cars except the Octavia, I had done the regular wax based detailing, however on the Octavia, I consciously opted for the Diamond Ceramic Coat. My reasons for opting for Diamond Ceramic Coat and not a regular coat were as follows

=========

For folks who want to read the process of how the process of applying coat was, I have uploaded the same in my review of the Octavia.

Here's the link- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...isorder-3.html

Very informative post and link with the details of the ceramic coating process. So you are saying that post the ceramic coat (and firing your car washing guy), you have never washed your car in the past four months?

Where in Mumbai did you get this coating done?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th April 2017 at 09:03. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 19:39   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

I had a chat with the MD of Ceramic Pro India, and asked for a quote for a car like S-Cross(that will be most probably our next car). Here are the details.

PLATINUM

Steps:

Paint Correction
Shampoo Cleaning
Ceramic Pro Nano Polishing
8 Layer of Ceramic Pro 9H
1 Layer of Ceramic Pro Light
2 Layer of Ceramic Pro Rain (all glasses)
6 Layer of Ceramic Pro Plastic (exterior)
5 Layer of Ceramic pro 9H on Alloys
1 Layer of Wheel & Caliper on Caliper
IR Curing
Micro Fiber Towel – 3 Nos.

5 years warranty

Price Quoted: Rs. 70, 000

GOLD Package

Paint Correction
Shampoo Cleaning
1 Layer Ceramic Pro
Ceramic Pro Nano Polishing
5 Layer of Ceramic pro 9H
1 Layer of Ceramic Pro Light
1 Layer of Ceramic Pro Rain (all glasses)
3 Layer of Ceramic Pro Plastic (exterior)
3 Layer of Wheel & Caliper on Alloys
IR Curing
Micro Fiber Towel – 3 Nos.

3 years warranty

Price: Rs. 52,000

Both the packages will need 3-4 days of work.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 13:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

Here is the entire pricing list of Ceramic Pro.

Since I have just re-coated my Polo 1.6, I will probably consider getting this treatment done.
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-ceramic-pro.jpg  

Last edited by Epic : 8th April 2017 at 13:16.
Epic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 15:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Some time back, I noticed that a Ceramic Pro outlet had opened not far from my house (on ECR, Chennai). Googling out the usual-suspect American/International detailing-forum reviews left me with the impression that this this particular brand is considered overpriced and not worth the premium cost. Admittedly, I am posting from two-year-old research and my memory is imperfect.

The question is: what price the competition? And in what cities is it available?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 16:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Very informative post and link with the details of the ceramic coating process. So you are saying that post the ceramic coat (and firing your car washing guy), you have never washed your car in the past four months?
Well I don't use the car everyday to work. Plus I have a covered parking for the car. On days that I take the car to office, I just wipe it clean using a jopasu duster and a microfibre cloth. Roughly it takes 10-15 mins. So whenever I take the car out, I factor in those 15 minutes.

I do wash the car twice a month on Sunday evenings or mornings depending on how time permits. Sometimes its one bucket wash myself or since the detailer from where I got my car detailed is stone's throw away, I take the car to him and as a courtesy he gets the car washed for me through his boys.

However till date I have not used any shampoo to wash the car. Just plain water does the job all the times.

PS- I am also contemplating buying the Bosch Car Washer, probably once I am back from my trip I will pick one. Below is the product that I'm picking up

Link- http://www.amazon.in/Bosch-AQT-35-12...sch+car+washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Where in Mumbai did you get this coating done?
His outlet is in Borivali East, dattani park and is called PMP Car Care. Do let me know if you are interested, I can PM you his number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Update:

I had a chat with the MD of Ceramic Pro India, and asked for a quote for a car like S-Cross(that will be most probably our next car). Here are the details.

PLATINUM

=======
Price Quoted: Rs. 70, 000

GOLD Package

==========

Price: Rs. 52,000

Both the packages will need 3-4 days of work.

Just adding my 2 cents here as I was discussing about this thread with my detailer today and we were reading about detailers doing 7 or 8 or even 9 coats on the car. From his experience of using Ceramic for over 2 years now and having used it in multiple cars, he was of the view of any ceramic coat which is more than 3 layers is absolutely useless as it does not add any value to the car. Just that it drains the pocket of the car owner.

He explained me using the diminishing law of marginal utility, its like the utility of the product goes down moment you start over using it. Similarly, max that a car paint requires is 3 coats, anything more than that, the utility of that product does not enhance, meaning a car with 3 coats and a car with 7 or 8 or 9 coats will have same resistance to scratches. And the full proof ness of deep scratch on 3 coats is as similar to higher number of coats.

Coming to the glossy effect, after 3 coats, the gloss or shine on the car has marginal increase. It is not that a car with 8 coats will shine 10 times better than a car with 3 coats.

So ideally, if we are looking to do ceramic coats according to him with his experience, max recommended is 3 coats. Infact I have only done 2 coats on the Octavia and man she shines much much better than the showroom shine even after 4 months now.

PS- I would advise take wise decisions while using or over using this products, coz the base price is expensive and hence the detailing cost is expensive. To give a perspective, If I would have done just one coat, I would have paid INR 22,000 but I opted for 2 coats, so I paid INR 30,000

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2017 at 09:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged
sawnilrules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 17:15   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
From his experience of using Ceramic for over 2 years now and having used it in multiple cars, he was of the view of any ceramic coat which is more than 3 layers is absolutely useless as it does not add any value to the car. Just that it drains the pocket of the car owner.
From the link posted by BHPian nkrishnap on this thread -

Quote:
Before exposing the “Layer” scam, let me explain how coating will be working on the paint (or any) surface. After applying, coating bonds to the paint on a molecular level, forming a cross-linked covalent bond (hence it’s also called nano-coating) and the covalent bond is done on the electrons in the paint molecules. After 3-4 layers of coating, the available free electrons on the paint molecules will come down substantially which results no/less bonding thereafter and the 8-12 layer stories are just hypes which don’t offer any positive difference to the paint surface but negative impact on customer’s pocket!
https://www.greenzcarcare.com/blogs/...ypes-around-it
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 17:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
left me with the impression that this this particular brand is considered overpriced and not worth the premium cost
Your memory is super perfect!! Its Ceramic Pro is not worth that price esp for the 9H pencil scale harness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The question is: what price the competition? And in what cities is it available?
I'm yet to check Gyeon Quartz, price of CQuartz is half of Ceramic Pro with a durability of 2+ years with maintenance for a big car/sedan. CQuartz claim the hardness is of Mohs scale 2 not pencil hardness.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 18:04   #60
Team-BHP Support

Do a Google search, there are detailers who have compared various options. Some keywords to try -

CQuartz Vs Opticoat
Opticoat Vs Gyeon Durabead
Opticoat Vs Ceramic Pro

and various other combinations.

Example:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...0-cquartz.html

The Ceramic Coating Thread-29acoatingcuring.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks