Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2007, 16:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

this is my install, dosent interfere with normal operation of the car.
Old 16th March 2007, 17:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

this is a repeat since i think this is important
I have seen too many cars on fire and now since my car very often has enough fuel to run 1100kms atleast non stop i definitely need a fire ex. i did post few queries for it in forum but didnt get any good response.
After lot of research on where how and what tpye. i have finally decided on type ABC fire ex with 2 kg capacity ( cost 1500 with five year warranty. refill cost 400)installed in driver side. easily removable and enough capacity to engulf the full car. next will be to install a plumbing directly into the engine area so that before i run away i can discharge the bottle into engine area. by this way fire in engine area can be stopped with 99% results.
some tips in case of fire:

even if you have fire ex-
shut off car.
in case it is large enough for you to see the flames, stop and RUN

if you have a fire ex-
if smoking DONT open the bonnet.
shut off car.
operate fire ex from all the three sides first from the side wind is blowing in, engulf the hood , if fire is progressing run away.
NEVER EVER POUR WATER. if fire bottle is emptied out leave the car and move away 40ft atleast .
near beach use sand buckets.
open bonnet if things have settled. its ok if you have a melted battery but fire must not re ignite. the car is costlier
many trucks and tourist vehicle have fire ex ask for help.
i will request all fellow bhpns to please carry one in car readily accessible, do you want a tragedy to happen?
all spend so much money on ice this is nothing on money front it will save you some day or you can save someone.
Old 16th March 2007, 19:11   #18
BHPian

@gigy couldn't help saying, pls. make sure your fire extinguisher is well harnessed.

In front of the driver seat is a very dangerous location incase it comes loose whilst driving.

I had a coke can that once slid across and was between my clutch lever. Wouldn't want anything like that to happen in an emergency.
Old 16th March 2007, 20:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

yes buddy it is well restrained. you require adequate force to pull out the extingusher. will put a grey carpet cloth cover to protect from direct sunlight.will not come out its not light and small as coke can, are area around my car pedals is lighted so that i can always look down to see loose articles babies throw around in car.
Old 17th March 2007, 11:12   #20
BHPian

Giggy.. I thought fire extinguishers are to be mounted vertical..
Old 17th March 2007, 15:55   #21
fb1
BHPian

yeah even I thought they have to be mounted vertical, otherwise it wont settle properly
Old 17th March 2007, 16:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Gigy, you are so keen about the fire extinguisher and ur engine bay.
May i know y?
Old 19th March 2007, 22:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

after lpg installation, and seeing many cars burn and blast in front of me , having a fire bottle inspires lot of confidence.
vertical hyandling is recommended while using it, although it can be kept horizontally. can be used in this position also. when it is fired 2 kg prodeces enough stuff for blanking out the engine bay. my inspiration is from this merc installation which is a company fitted one.
Old 19th March 2007, 23:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

auto fire extinguishers come with harness that stick to the floorof the car (velcro). and it's pretty stable.

and they are meant to be kept horizontal.

I got one myself this weekend from walmart, something like this.

Disposable Auto Fire Extinguisher - SHOP.COM
Old 20th March 2007, 15:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
after lpg installation, and seeing many cars burn and blast in front of me , having a fire bottle inspires lot of confidence.
Whoa! Seriously???
Can u share the experience with us??
Old 20th March 2007, 15:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

first live experience was ao auto near to the signal before sion station, it was a very minor fire at first look, all of us on road were just looking at locals throwing sand behind it. but may be a minute had passed and suddenly the fie blew up into a huge ball and all started running away, after that it was matter of less than 5 minutes and there existed no auto. poor guy, hope he got something through insurance.
next one was an opel astra on western express highway somewhere after jogeshwari, i was honking behind stopped traffic till i saw huge flame. he was smart enough to park the car on side and get off.
third was a maruti 800 on panvel road.
the next fire was in a pawan hans chopper in juhu, just before take off. every one ran towards it with the fire bottles, pilot also notice it in time to shut off engines and operate on board fire extingushers. later investigations revealed it was a oil rag left inside its engine compartment which heated up and caught fire.( maintenance personnel error).
next was a old honda city near vashi on highway. here the fire service managed to reach within 50 percent burn off. only the front was gutted. anyways he cannot use the rest of it.
saw an other honda burnt near dharavi.
latest next almost completed burn was a accent near to iit second gate two weeks back.
other than this many burnt down vehicles i have seen on highways during various weekend trips.
i dont want to see more. lucky i didnt see any person burning along with the car.
Old 20th March 2007, 16:28   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

On the way to a rockshow, me and Rehaan saw a Santro burn to smithereens. It was scary as hell.....

Yup, I agree with the value in keeping a fire extinguisher with your car.
Old 20th March 2007, 18:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

I checked out the "ceasefire". Pretty compact and comes with a plastic clamp that is installed on the B pillar. The brochure mentions that the cylinder has to be kept upright. No maintainence for 5 years.

The dealer quoted 1500Rs.(Is this the right price?). I think I will get it shortly as my car is LPG.
Old 20th March 2007, 18:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

@gigy, off topic,

you seem to have a strong affinity for auto fires
Old 20th March 2007, 18:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

what type of extingusher is it? what's capacity?
a 2kg(1500rs) can be blasted on entire car to suppress a fire.
cease fire must be offering 0.5kg enough for small cabin fire , cant really use it for fire in engine area, because you have to be fast enough to cover the whole area and move out. its not possible with a small can. if you want to keep it vertically then boot is having space for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks