Team-BHP - Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/200214-comprehensive-guide-led-headlight-upgrades-13.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody (Post 4572277)
You have to understand not all cars have robust wiring that can handle the high amperes that HIDs have. Some ballasts take upto 10amps during startups on wiring that's originally designed to power a
5 amp halogen. Not all cars have headroom enough to accommodate the near double power requirements.

Remember the lowest amperage of a wire in automobiles is 10A esp in lighting. There are a few 7.5A circuits, but none in lighting. That is enough for 120W and can take a start up current far higher. Please note that I upped the wattage from 35W to 55W and had no issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4572398)
Remember the lowest amperage of a wire in automobiles is 10A esp in lighting. There are a few 7.5A circuits, but none in lighting. That is enough for 120W and can take a start up current far higher. Please note that I upped the wattage from 35W to 55W and had no issues.

That's because you are on halogen. 35w HID ballasts can have spikes of 8-12 amps x 2 on startup. If you use factory harness directly there is always a chance of blowing the fuses and more. Always recommended to use power directly from battery using a relay than risking your factory harness. I dont think any company recommends to use HIDs without a relay especially on built to cost Indian cars. Factory harness also will have a voltage drop thanks to the length and extra connections and switches while a direct power source from battery will not and give the best light output. Even half a volt of voltage drop will lead to reduced performance, loss of lumens and can cause flicker in HIDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody (Post 4572540)
That's because you are on halogen. 35w HID ballasts can have spikes of 8-12 amps x 2 on startup.

No I am on HiDs (3000K) now. A short spike on a few seconds does no harm. So I have upped the 35W Halogen to a 55W HID! Yes, the Honda Civic wiring is robust. I avoid using these looms since they add another relay. Relays are not the most reliable automotive parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4463929)
What I've bought for my Fiesta and Scorpio is a full set of LED lights from Aliexpress seller CNSUNNYLIGHT.

H1 / H7 / H11 headlamps for high and low beam, fog lights - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...1-9005-9006/32

Stop lights -
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...15e14c4dFrHwm2

Parking bulbs
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...15e14c4dFPWUaZ

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...27424c4dF3sQly

Brake lights
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...27424c4dF3sQly

Interior / Dome bulbs
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...15e14c4dFPWUaZ

Interesting in that they come with both a fan and a heatsink, and have a nice small form factor that lets them fit into even small and cramped housings.

The seller Sunny is very professional and she will work with you patiently on whatsapp (+86 189 9806 1368) or Aliexpress Messenger to help you determine the best fit for your vehicle.

Besides giving her the actual headlights from your manual, especially if you need H7 headlamps you may need a specific type of adapter to fit into your car's holder. Send her a closeup photo of your headlamp assembly with the h7 bulb removed.

Fully satisfied customer here.

Sir, does the 1157 LED parking bulbs mentioned by you fit the Scorpio S10 turn indicators (both front, fender & rear) & the rear parking indicator?

Regards,

I have a xcent 2014 model, and I am looking to upgrade the oem headlight (I find them inadequate now). I am a newbie and I have little idea about which led bulb to go for? (HID?). Any shop guide in Gurgaon/Delhi or online link to product will be very helpful. Can anyone please tell me what should I do to upgrade headlight? please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_goyal (Post 4595314)
I have a xcent 2014 model, and I am looking to upgrade the oem headlight (I find them inadequate now). I am a newbie and I have little idea about which led bulb to go for? (HID?). Any shop guide in Gurgaon/Delhi or online link to product will be very helpful. Can anyone please tell me what should I do to upgrade headlight? please:

Whats the budget that you have? A pair of Bi-xenon HID projectors will be well worth it. Look for the Mini H1 type projector with 35w Hylux ballasts. It should cost around 10-12k including fitting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody (Post 4595540)
Whats the budget that you have? A pair of Bi-xenon HID projectors will be well worth it. Look for the Mini H1 type projector with 35w Hylux ballasts. It should cost around 10-12k including fitting.

I am not looking to spend more than INR 1500/-. Just want to update it for better visibility at night. Not hoping for anything fancy in this budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_goyal (Post 4595544)
I am not looking to spend more than INR 1500/-. Just want to update it for better visibility at night. Not hoping for anything fancy in this budget.

There wont be much improvement then in visibility, best option in this budget would be getting higher wattage halogen bulbs installed with a relay. It will cause additional load on battery and also lessen reflector life due to added heat. Other option is using cheap LED bulbs but they dont really improve lighting much and i have tried them myself too in my Grand i10 which has same headlight as yours. Low beam improves but high beam goes for a toss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody (Post 4595540)

Do you have a thread or post where I can view this setup? Does this cost include new reflectors as well. I understand that OEM reflectors work best with Halogen only.

Also, my LHS rear tail lamp's plastic is broken. Can this be fixed (one tiny plastic piece has fallen inside the tail lamp unit) or I would have to buy a new tail lamp?

Is there any led tail lamp available for xcent. (I'm curious?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_goyal (Post 4597036)
Do you have a thread or post where I can view this setup? Does this cost include new reflectors as well. I understand that OEM reflectors work best with Halogen only.

Also, my LHS rear tail lamp's plastic is broken. Can this be fixed (one tiny plastic piece has fallen inside the tail lamp unit) or I would have to buy a new tail lamp?

Is there any led tail lamp available for xcent. (I\'m curious?

HID projectors are retrofitted inside existing reflector setup by opening the headlight. You can google this setup as its used globally, plenty to search.
I have LED projectors my Grand i10, you can have a look here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4592540

Without a pic i cant say but any repair will look odd. You can try fixing using some sort of a strong plastic glue or some jugaad. If you want a spotless look then a new taillight is the only option. Yes there are LED tail lights for Xcent available in aftermarket. I've seen them on a few car accessory shops on Insta. They are more expensive than regular ones though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_goyal (Post 4595544)

For this budget, it might be best to stick to a plug and play solution like Osram's Night Breaker series or the equivalents from Philips. No wiring or relays or anything. They will increase output by say 10 - 20% depending on who you ask. Lots of posts on them in Team BHP. I am happy with the Osram Night Breakers on my cars and bike. The MRP for these will be around the Rs 2,000 mark but if you check on Amazon / Flipkart, you will get the same for around Rs 1,500.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 4597317)
For this budget, it might be best to stick to a plug and play solution like Osram's Night Breaker series or the equivalents from Philips. No wiring or relays or anything. They will increase output by say 10 - 20% depending on who you ask. Lots of posts on them in Team BHP. I am happy with the Osram Night Breakers on my cars and bike. The MRP for these will be around the Rs 2,000 mark but if you check on Amazon / Flipkart, you will get the same for around Rs 1,500.

I have the Osram Nightbreaker on my Hyundai Elantra 2005's high and low beam. However I find the light to be to too pale and unless it's a dimly lit street, the highbeam doesn't do a good job. Do you have any other recommendations?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashwat B (Post 4612734)
Do you have any other recommendations?

Firstly look for the issues with reflectors, have they worn out with issues such as faded glass or reflector polish not upto the mark. You may have to replace them first. Then go for bulb upgrade. If reflectors have issues, no bulb can help. Suggested this due to yours being 2005 model. It can be in good shape as well. (NOM)

If you have double barrel setup (separate reflectors for Hi and Low beams): Philips Extreme Vision (+130) of same wattage should give you better illumination. They are available in H1, H7, H11 & H4.

These are the most suggested options on this forum:
Other option is upgrade to higher wattage with a relay from Hella or Roots. You have options of 100/90 or 130/90 or 130/100. for this upgrade I am assuming that yours is an H4 setup.
Buying extreme vision H4 will cost nearly the same as upgrading with relay.
As others have clearly mentioned this upgrade will have its on drawbacks such as excessive heat for reflectors, extra load on batteries.
Do explore options of installing auxiliary driving lights as well from Hella, KC, Nughtforce etc.

Somewhat off topic: One tail light (LED) of my Brio conked off after about five years. So even LEDs can fail. I just put out a small word of caution that the LEDs can fail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4613001)
Somewhat off topic: One tail light (LED) of my Brio conked off after about five years. So even LEDs can fail. I just put out a small word of caution that the LEDs can fail.

LED's on a Brio? I don't remember Brio ever coming with LED tail lights. Stock LED's almost never fail.

Were these aftermarket? And if yes then what brand? LED tail lamps of cheap chinese brands are no more reliable than halogen bulbs. Pretty useless even if you pay more and think you got a branded one.

Only LED's which will last will be Philips or Osram when it comes to tail lights.

LED's in the end are electronic components and cheap components means not reliable.