Team-BHP - Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/200214-comprehensive-guide-led-headlight-upgrades-12.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 4540612)
A word of caution regarding the HLXG official store products on Aliexpress. They seem to have quality issues

Yes, I had ordered HLXG bulbs and they have poor quality. The plastic tab to install the bulbs is very filmsy.

I am using the below ones now in the high beam, and they have a much better quality.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ZtfWoXI

As we switch to EVs LED lights will become the norm. One question, what is the overall power drain including the 'massive' fans. At the end of the day total power drain including the fans is what matters. I am sure the fans will tend to become smaller with time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4541764)
As we switch to EVs LED lights will become the norm. One question, what is the overall power drain including the 'massive' fans. At the end of the day total power drain including the fans is what matters. I am sure the fans will tend to become smaller with time.

Not that I have measured it but my expectation is given the extremely small motor and fan, the majority of the power 90% is probably coming from the LEDs and not the motor itself.

Its been a while since I updated the thread. So I have been fairly happy with the setup in the fogs but wanted to see if the low beams could be improved. I tried the following lights from aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...22224c4dfX6Z5t

The outcome unfortunately wasn't very great. the build quality of the lights is fairly good and output is nice and 6000K bright, however in the XUV projectors its resulting in a non ideal beam pattern. The hotspot ended up lower than the top edge of the cutoff so while driving its brighter near the car than further. Tried few experiments but it didnt help. So for now I have just reverted to the earlier lights from link below. these remain the best vfm result so far.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Infi...4-471cdfd65263

at 1000 bucks INR, highly recommended

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertinu (Post 4560697)
So for now I have just reverted to the earlier lights from link below. these remain the best vfm result so far.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Infi...4-471cdfd65263

at 1000 bucks INR, highly recommended

These bulbs work well in a halogen projector assembly? I have tried LED's in halogen projectors and the output was pathetic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 (Post 4560787)
These bulbs work well in a halogen projector assembly? I have tried LED's in halogen projectors and the output was pathetic.

Which type of LEDs you tried and on which car's projectors?

Its difficult to confirm as such but this design with the small SMT LEDs comes closest to mimicking a halogen filament. However keep in mind that brightness will be little better than halogen and not in line with HIDs.

I was looking to improve the lighting of my car and saw this in my feed. Not sure if it is best suited for halogen based setup. Anyone tried this setup?

C$ 54.12 40%OFF | hlxg 70W/Pair Lamp H4 LED Mini Projector Lens Automobles LED Bulb LED Conversion Kit Hi/Lo Beam Headlight 12V/24V 5500K White
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/LcDjgKc

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhoneycake (Post 4501882)
Bi-Led Projectors on my Fluidic Verna.

This is the low beam. You can see the cutoff on the TT standing in front. Fantastic throw and excellent width of the beam. This puts every LED/HID bulb I’ve used to shame. This is about 5500K temperature.

Attachment 1822522

For the price of the item, the Light throw looks great. The cutoff sharpness on the white mini bus is very clear even at this distance.

You managed to take a pic in a darker area where the width is more obvious ?
How is the durability and performance till date ?

I might plan to install this in a regular H4 Halogen reflector, assuming i manage to collect the required fitting accessories and most importantly, the actual item gets through customs without any damage or additional cost.

Note : You have posted the DIY/Installation and the post installation pics in different threads.:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myth_sx (Post 4570521)
For the price of the item, the Light throw looks great. The cutoff sharpness on the white mini bus is very clear even at this distance.

You managed to take a pic in a darker area where the width is more obvious ?
How is the durability and performance till date ?

I might plan to install this in a regular H4 Halogen reflector, assuming i manage to collect the required fitting accessories and most importantly, the actual item gets through customs without any damage or additional cost.

Note : You have posted the DIY/Installation and the post installation pics in different threads.:p

I will shoot more pictures of the cutoff and the width and put it up for you. It’s an absolute beast of a projector, puts even OEM projectors to shame.

Regarding the durability and performance, been using from 6 months and about 18000kms most of which are ridiculously long night drives where the projectors have been “ON” all the time. No issues whatsoever.

Performance is excellent. Solid throw, penetrates fog and rain very well (it’s about 5000K colour), high beam is seriously blinding, two flashes and people give way instantly.

Regarding the installation, I feel projectors are easier to retrofit into H4 based reflector headlights. You don’t have to worry about it alignment / mounting brackets or any of that sort. Threaded shaft makes it so much easier to install.

You’ll need
- Projectors
- Shrouds
- Bixenon harness (which will keep the low beams ON when you switch to high beam)

And as for delivery of items, you won’t have a issue. I have ordered numerous items on AliExpress and 95% of them have made it without any issues:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhoneycake (Post 4571122)
Regarding the durability and performance, been using from 6 months and about 18000kms most of which are ridiculously long night drives where the projectors have been “ON” all the time. No issues whatsoever.

Performance is excellent. Solid throw, penetrates fog and rain very well (it’s about 5000K colour), high beam is seriously blinding, two flashes and people give way instantly.

This is good news. I felt the whitish LED light might be an issue during rain and with wet roads.
The high beam punishment is purely a bonus, though necessary. :D

Quote:

Regarding the installation, I feel projectors are easier to retrofit into H4 based reflector headlights. You don’t have to worry about it alignment / mounting brackets or any of that sort. Threaded shaft makes it so much easier to install.

Did you use any other sealant to close the headlight unit back or was the earlier sealant reusable?
I hope reflector and the its mounts can support the weight of the projector.

Quote:

Bixenon harness (which will keep the low beams ON when you switch to high beam)

The power was taken directly from battery right? I believe the harness acts as a relay to power the drivers. The signal to move the solenoid for high/low beam can be taken from original stock wiring.

Its good to read about successful DIY retrofits !
Thank you for all the details.

Quote:

You’ll need
- Projectors
- Shrouds
- Bixenon harness (which will keep the low beams ON when you switch to high beam)

And as for delivery of items, you won’t have a issue. I have ordered numerous items on AliExpress and 95% of them have made it without any issues:)

It's not that easy as on most H4 reflectors in india the cutoff is a sloping type. So one needs to have either rotational ability in the reflector or modify the holder ring of the projector to have the straight cutoff that projectors have.

For HID a full relay is required but for LED one can use those H4 to dual bixenon splitter module available online. Those are quite compact and no need to have additional wiring in engine bay. I used the same in my led projector.

Hi Guys,

Need a economical replacement but a definite upgrade for the City 2015 Model for the lower beams.

Please suggest a good option. The low beams on a City are practically useless in stock condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody (Post 4571805)
For HID a full relay is required but for LED one can use those H4 to dual bixenon splitter module available online. Those are quite compact and no need to have additional wiring in engine bay. I used the same in my led projector.

I have replaced the 35W fog-lights in my Civic with 55W HiDs and have not needed any relays, I bought relays but never installed them, or needed to. They have been going for over seven years without a glitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody (Post 4571805)
It's not that easy as on most H4 reflectors in india the cutoff is a sloping type. So one needs to have either rotational ability in the reflector or modify the holder ring of the projector to have the straight cutoff that projectors have.

Regarding retrofitting projectors, fitting them into reflectors is way easy than fitting them into headlights that already have a projector in them, mounting issues are always there.

And No, you do not require a relay to power HIDs. Your ballast will do it. Neither do you need it for LEDs.

You will need Relays, if you don’t want to use a H4 beam splitter, that way the relay will power the low beams and high beams together which is what is needed for a Bi-Beam projector. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4572042)
I have replaced the 35W fog-lights in my Civic with 55W HiDs and have not needed any relays, I bought relays but never installed them, or needed to. They have been going for over seven years without a glitch.

You have to understand not all cars have robust wiring that can handle the high amperes that HIDs have. Some ballasts take upto 10amps during startups on wiring that's originally designed to power a
5 amp halogen. Not all cars have headroom enough to accommodate the near double power requirements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhoneycake (Post 4572204)
Regarding retrofitting projectors, fitting them into reflectors is way easy than fitting them into headlights that already have a projector in them, mounting issues are always there.

And No, you do not require a relay to power HIDs. Your ballast will do it. Neither do you need it for LEDs.

You will need Relays, if you don’t want to use a H4 beam splitter, that way the relay will power the low beams and high beams together which is what is needed for a Bi-Beam projector. :)

That is what i meant too! Your post was talking about H4 and led projectors and i just wanted to say that there are those tiny h4 splitters one can use rather than a full HID relay that connects to battery.