Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2024, 16:37   #736
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (11)
Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyrev View Post
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a SCross 1.6 Alpha and I'm in love with the car. While the car is a leaps and bounds improvement over my old Ritx VXI, the headlights in the car are simply not sufficient for the kind of power the car possesses. My Ritz had better illumination with 90/100 W Philips Rally bulbs.

The way i see it, i have the following options:
1) Upgrade just the fog lights: Buy projector and LED light separately. The advantage of this set-up is i can replace the bulb in case the LED goes kaput. But, i doubt if this set-up will withstand against rain/dust for a longer time?

2) Update just the fog lights again, but buy a projector that comes with an LED light within it. I assume this will have better durability? Here too, i'm confused if i should be going for the ones they call 'laser' LEDs. The Lens for these Laser LEDs has a protruding shape, usually. If these 'laser' LEDs don't make much of a difference over the LED lights, then its not worth buying as the 'laser' LED kind is 3-4k costlier.

3) Simply replace the existing bulb within the main headlight with a high power LED (the ones that come from Osram or Philips)

4) This is tricky. I've read that the main projector within SCross is not that good quality. People have replaced the projector itself and added the LED too.

My budget is 10-12k Rs. max. Looking to get Lights around 45K temperature. Kindly suggest.
If some Scross owner in Mumbai has had some experience with this upgrade it will be helpful to know their experience.

Thank you.
I'll give you the most common solution used by most S-Cross owners, install a pair of projector fogs and call it a day. M617 is a popular model these days, it comes with yellow and white lights for different conditions. It should cost you around 8k and your lighting needs will be fulfilled.
Old 11th January 2024, 10:24   #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
I'll give you the most common solution used by most S-Cross owners, install a pair of projector fogs and call it a day. M617 is a popular model these days, it comes with yellow and white lights for different conditions. It should cost you around 8k and your lighting needs will be fulfilled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Osram 50w 4200k Led is the answer to your query.
Thank you Amrit and Teknophobia. I have decided to buy the bulb and projector separately. Reason being, i see that the projector that come fused with bulbs do not offer any warranty. Whereas, if i buy them separate i get warranty on the bulb, i can replace either bulb when one goes kaput, in case i ever damage the projector i can replace the projector too.
Old 11th January 2024, 21:17   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Amrit and Teknophobia. I have decided to buy the bulb and projector separately. Reason being, i see that the projector that come fused with bulbs do not offer any warranty. Whereas, if i buy them separate i get warranty on the bulb, i can replace either bulb when one goes kaput, in case i ever damage the projector i can replace the projector too.
Not really a good idea, as the light of a discrete projector + led bulb cannot match the beam pattern and throw of a purpose built LED projector unit. You have very good ones from Aes and GTR available where there are two separate lighting leds for low beam and high beam and the high beam is actually laser. These have a perfect throw and beam pattern which the solution above cannot match. If you need an idea, please check out this videos of the aes fx2 projector (this costs roughly 11.5 k)
This has a hyperboloid lens for the low beam and a quadro lens for the high beam so each beam is perfectly focused.

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th January 2024 at 21:21.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 16:06   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Not really a good idea, as the light of a discrete projector + led bulb cannot match the beam pattern and throw of a purpose built LED projector unit. You have very good ones from Aes and GTR available where there are two separate lighting leds for low beam and high beam and the high beam is actually laser. These have a perfect throw and beam pattern which the solution above cannot match. If you need an idea, please check out this videos of the aes fx2 projector (this costs roughly 11.5 k)
This has a hyperboloid lens for the low beam and a quadro lens for the high beam so each beam is perfectly focused.

https://Youtu.be/Dst66sKX74w?si=-7vx8JFYo78--vAA
Definitely sold on the performance of these projectors. They are phenomenal.

The only worry is foggy conditions. I'm not sure how these lights will fare in dense fog. I remember driving to Bhimashankar (one among the 12 Jyotirlings), it was monsoon season. We were done with the darshan and were returning at night. My Ritz had 90/100 W halogens, when i turned them on it was like staring at a while wall with hardly any visibility beyond 3-4 ft.

Chances of running into such a dense fog are rare but when I do I hope these bright LEDs (at 6000K) dont scatter so bad that parking my vehicle will be the only option left? I don't know how good are these, maybe even if they could help look through the next 4-5ft of road i could crawl my car out of that situation. The LEDs could be even better. The memory of encountering such a dense fog and that 'white-wall' are the only things holding be back getting a 6000k light.

If you or anyone has experienced foggy conditions with powerful white LED lights, it would be helpful.
But then again, the luxury cars (Mercs, BMW, Jags and likes) all have white LEDs dont they ever get bothered in such a situation?

Okay back to the topic: I found a seller 'Car Oxygen' they retail the AES FX3 at 9K. Has anyone had any experience with this seller?
Old 12th January 2024, 20:02   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely sold on the performance of these projectors. They are phenomenal.

The only worry is foggy conditions. I'm not sure how these lights will fare in dense fog. I remember driving to Bhimashankar (one among the 12 Jyotirlings), it was monsoon season. We were done with the darshan and were returning at night. My Ritz had 90/100 W halogens, when i turned them on it was like staring at a while wall with hardly any visibility beyond 3-4 ft.

Okay back to the topic: I found a seller 'Car Oxygen' they retail the AES FX3 at 9K. Has anyone had any experience with this seller?
If fog is your worry, there are 5500k + 3000k versions also available in the AES fog lights. The low beam is 5500k and the high beam is 3000k laser. They will suit your purpose well.

https://carconceptsshop.com/products...or-5500k-3000k

Also there are switchable colour versions available too - you can switch between 3000K / 4300l and 6000k. (This is not having laser though)

https://carconceptsshop.com/products...5-12v-3-colors

Last edited by Behemoth : 12th January 2024 at 20:05.
Old 15th January 2024, 11:54   #741

Quote:
If fog is your worry, there are 5500k + 3000k versions also available in the AES fog lights. The low beam is 5500k and the high beam is 3000k laser. They will suit your purpose well.

Also there are switchable colour versions available too - you can switch between 3000K / 4300l and 6000k. (This is not having laser though)

Bit the bullet yesterday, bought a AES FX3 from CarOxygen. I noted they charged 2K lower compared to other websites/sources.

In the process of selecting a fog light, i did go through several websites selling these, saw so many Youtube videos and also visited the local market in Mumbai to understand the availability. Here is what i found:

- Aozoom is considered a top brand within 20-25K range (but their market price is atleast 50% more than their nearest competitor). Morimoto could be better, but I could not see these Youtube marketeers/local market stock Morimotos or likes. So can't comment on it.

- The nearest competitors being GTR, AES, MAXXLINK, DHC and ZIMMER maybe. Almost all the vendors i spoke to about these brands easily vouched for them. Expect these to be around 8K to 15K.

- Next comes everyone's fav, IPH. EVERYONE stocks IPH. The projector and the three colored Fog projector lights are very easily available. Expect to pay around 2.5K for the projector and the lowest quote for the tri-color was 5.5K.

Local shops in Mumbai (around Mulund, Thane) did not stock GTR, AES or Zimmer. I got to see Maxxlink, SMART and AOZOOM in action. AOZOOM is definitely good quality.

Before i pulled the trigger on AES FX3, i almost decided not to buy these. With great power come great responsibilities, these LEDs are so powerful there are VERY HIGH chances of blinding the oncoming traffic if you use Upper beam. Within Mumbai, i don't see instances wherein i will use an upper beam at all (Psst. they may not be street legal).
However, after going through several night driving experiences in TBHP it was an easy decision. Especially on highways, it pays to have better lights to see the next big pothole/unexpected dividers/stray dogs/jaywalking people/cattle and so on. You will have that much more time to react if you spot them early.

While i am waiting for the lights to arrive, i am going through online resources to ensure the wiring work for these is as dependable as possible.
With these lights you get some additional wires that activate the laser beam up top, its loose wire ends.
Happyrev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 19:04   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Thanks Behemoth. I have got an XUV 300 so IPH foglights cant be used due to their different size.

What approach would you now suggest (after having used both HID/50W LED) for Projector (low beam) and reflector (high beam) of XUV 300? Am not happy with stock lighting.

Also is there any LED that can be put in XUV 300 fog lights (H16 19W is the current bulb in there)?
Quote:

So I am here with some questions too.

1. I have oval style fog lamps. I can't seem to find any projector fogs in this oval styling? Everything seems to be 3 inch round styling.

2. It looks like my understanding is the 6000k Osram is much more powerful (because of the kelvin temp) than the 4200k. In what order can one purchase both of these (to have the best of both world's?) To upgrade both their high and low beams? For instance should the high beam get the 6000k or the 4200k? The headlights in question are standard reflectors.

Thank you Behemoth and others. Your notes have been very useful.
Old 20th January 2024, 16:19   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
So I am here with some questions too.

1. I have oval style fog lamps. I can't seem to find any projector fogs in this oval styling? Everything seems to be 3 inch round styling.

2. It looks like my understanding is the 6000k Osram is much more powerful (because of the kelvin temp) than the 4200k. In what order can one purchase both of these (to have the best of both world's?) To upgrade both their high and low beams? For instance should the high beam get the 6000k or the 4200k? The headlights in question are standard reflectors.

Thank you Behemoth and others. Your notes have been very useful.
Which car do you have. For some cars you can get brackets which help you fit 3 inch round projectors in them.

Yes 6000k does have a 10% higher light level than 4300k leds, but in rainy or foggy conditions the visibility is better with 4300k. Also with 4300k the colour perception of our eyes is better in the night and the view is more natural.
Old 20th January 2024, 16:31   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which car do you have. For some cars you can get brackets which help you fit 3 inch round projectors in them.

Yes 6000k does have a 10% higher light level than 4300k leds, but in rainy or foggy conditions the visibility is better with 4300k. Also with 4300k the colour perception of our eyes is better in the night and the view is more natural.
Jetta.

Thank you. Will stick with the 4200k for both beams then.
Old 20th January 2024, 17:03   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jetta.

Osram has released 50W LED units in 4200k temperature. I do not know the socket type of Jetta Headlamp/foglamps. Here are the links

https://www.planetcarcare.com/produc...2ee5b880&_ss=r

Disclaimer - Not associated with planetcarcare website in any manner.

Agree with @Behemoth in sticking to same color temperature for both fogs and headlamps. Mix of color temp makes it hard for the eyes to adjust.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 20th January 2024 at 17:05.
sagarpadaki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 23:23   #746
BHPian

The Osram 4200k LEDs are certainly a great addition to the options because they lower color temp makes it easier on the eye (and probably better visibility in rains)..

It would interesting to know how a combination of Osram 4200k LED + Fog projectors work in combination. They are certainly going to be better than the OEM lighting by a fair margin but how good will be the cut-off the headlight pattern (to avoid blinding others) and the actual spread of the light..
Kris_risk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 23:38   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Jetta.

Supposedly and please don't quote me on this since I am too in the same dilemma (VW Vento oval fog lamp section), the 3inch fog lamps would fit with the Toyota mounting bracket but the lens won't sit flush with the bumper panel..

There was also one kind Team-bhpian who confirmed that he/ she was able to fit the 3inch iPhcar foglamp (3inch) but there is no space left to adjust the light level so highbeam is not an option..
Kris_risk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 04:46   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
Supposedly and please don't quote me on this since I am too in the same dilemma (VW Vento oval fog lamp section), the 3inch fog lamps would fit with the Toyota mounting bracket but the lens won't sit flush with the bumper panel..

There was also one kind Team-bhpian who confirmed that he/ she was able to fit the 3inch iPhcar foglamp (3inch) but there is no space left to adjust the light level so highbeam is not an option..
So then the full value of these projectors are not met with this kind of jugaad setup. I want reach of view from these more than anything else. Frankly I am loathe to make such modifications. The whole thing will just look ugly.

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st January 2024 at 04:47.
Old 22nd January 2024, 12:37   #749

Quote:
I have tried both projector fog lamps (IPH M617) in my Jeep Compass and also Osram CBI Pro inbuilt Headlight projectors (In my MG Hector Plus). The difference is really substantial in both cars.
Hey Behemoth,

I've been lurking on your threads for months, soaking up your headlight upgrade wisdom. I'm in dire need of your guidance. I remember my previous headlight adventures with the Honda City and Renault Duster. Swapping those stock halogens for HIDs (sans projectors) was a recipe for disaster. I had overload and flickering issues. Now, I'm cruising around in an MG Hector Plus, but its headlights are dimmer than a politician's promises on election night. Nighttime highway drives are a nightmare.

I recently stumbled upon your post about the Osram CBI Pro inbuilt headlight projectors for your Hector Plus. I wanted to check:

1. Where did you get the Osram CBI Pro projectors installed? Any specific recommendation for a reliable workshop that knows their way around Hector Plus headlights?

2. Most importantly, have you faced any issues like bulb failure or overloading after the headlight upgrade?

Any advice you can share would be golden!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd January 2024 at 12:54. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 22nd January 2024, 13:48   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashmax View Post
Hey Behemoth,

I recently stumbled upon your post about the Osram CBI Pro inbuilt headlight projectors for your Hector Plus. I wanted to check:

1. Where did you get the Osram CBI Pro projectors installed? Any specific recommendation for a reliable workshop that knows their way around Hector Plus headlights?

2. Most importantly, have you faced any issues like bulb failure or overloading after the headlight upgrade?

Any advice you can share would be golden!
Sure happy to help.

1) I had bought the Headlight Projectors directly from Planet car care from their website and it had cost me 18k shipped to me in Gurgaon.

2) I had the installation done at Autobots Gurgaon - they did a decent job though I did have to go back a second time as the right headlight projector was vibrating a little. But they fixed it the second time and now it has been over 1.5 years and the projectors are running perfectly. They charged me 7.5 k for the installation.

The osram projectors are great quality and I have not faced any issues with them till now and there are no errors at all.

It yours the pre-facelift Hector plus or the post facelift one? If it is the new version, you would need Matrix Projectors - Aes Matrix biled will be good. If it is the old one with circular projectors (like mine) then Osram CBI pro is good.

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd January 2024 at 13:51.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks