Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 22:04   #91
BHPian

Re: How to remove sun film from windows?

Pardon my narrow minded thinking folks,

I smell a rat here. Remember the time when our Honorable courts decided to change over from black board number plates to white board number plates? Following the court ruling, many made hay while the sun shown. meanwhile,the sticker-wallahs have much more background to test their creative skills on a white background now.

Suddenly the government / vested interest will nominate a well known sunfilm maker, and say that all you fellows (meaning us, the junta) who want sunfilms to protect your car interiors and have an effective AC,blah blah on the UV rays etc, buy sunfilm ONLY FROM THIS ' APPROVED ' SUPPLIER. Any other sunfilm brand is BANNED. And again some fellow makes a neat hay as the sun shines (literallly, on us).

Correct me if I am wrong

Andy

Last edited by Grace : 6th May 2012 at 22:12. Reason: spell check
Old 7th May 2012, 02:08   #92
BHPian

I got the tints removed from my santro yesterday.
It was some local film and left a lot of glue on my glass.

The sides were taken care off by the guy at the shop, but the rear had a defogger so i refused him to use a blade on it, but till the time i could stop him he had already spoilt two of the lines on my defogger.

Took back the car home with glue all over it,
I tried cleaning it with thinner, harpic, rin ;p
Everything i could get at home but the glue is so thick that it is really hard to remove it.

I have managed to remove a bit in the middle but still the rear glass is all messed up.
Desperately looking for a solution.

Does anyone know if i could get my defogger repaired/replaces somewhere ? How much would it cost me ?
Old 7th May 2012, 15:00   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I got the tints removed from my santro yesterday.
It was some local film and left a lot of glue on my glass.

The sides were taken care off by the guy at the shop, but the rear had a defogger so i refused him to use a blade on it, but till the time i could stop him he had already spoilt two of the lines on my defogger.

Took back the car home with glue all over it,
I tried cleaning it with thinner, harpic, rin ;p
Everything i could get at home but the glue is so thick that it is really hard to remove it.

I have managed to remove a bit in the middle but still the rear glass is all messed up.
Desperately looking for a solution.

Does anyone know if i could get my defogger repaired/replaces somewhere ? How much would it cost me ?
Hi Satyam,

I also got my film removed from my Laura and also from the rear windshield too. I found something which works to help remove the glue from the windshield. I was experimenting with different chemicals and finally tested with a 50:50 mixture of thinner and Turpentine oil. This helps remove the glue, but has a very pungent smell and one can get giddy just from the fumes. It still requires a lot of effort to remove the glue and I had another guy to help me and it took us almost 30 min to remove the glue. This mixture also does not damage the defogger.
The only drawback is the smell will take a few days to go away!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 7th May 2012, 15:15   #94
Senior - BHPian

how did you remove the film from the sides? did you have to remove the door panels for removing the films from the windows?
Old 7th May 2012, 15:16   #95
Team-BHP Support

For the gluey residue you can also get a roll of strong cellotape preferably the brown packing tape.

If there is gluey residue just stick the tape over the gluey residue and remove quickly. The gluey part gets stuck to the cellotape which can be thrown away. I use this to remove the bar code stuck in new cars on the side window.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 15:19   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
For the gluey residue you can also get a roll of strong cellotape preferably the brown packing tape.
Thanks for the tip

But you should have put a disclaimer that one shouldn't be using the cellotape method to get rid off the glue on the rear windshield unless you want your defogger lines get damaged
Old 7th May 2012, 15:20   #97
BHPian

Quote:

If there is gluey residue just stick the tape over the gluey residue and remove quickly. The gluey part gets stuck to the cellotape which can be thrown away. I use this to remove the bar code stuck in new cars on the side window.
Hi Vid,
Any good guys in Bangalore who can do a decent job of removing the tints. We have 4 to do.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:24   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Hi Vid,
Any good guys in Bangalore who can do a decent job of removing the tints. We have 4 to do.
Check this thread. Its easy and fun to do if you got some spare time.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 15:25   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Thanks for the tip

But you should have put a disclaimer that one shouldn't be using the cellotape method to get rid off the glue on the rear windshield unless you want your defogger lines get damaged
Actually it won't, cause you are not letting the tape stick there for a long time. You are just using the tape to make the gluey residue stick to it.

However if your gluey residue is very sticky you may end up peeling the defogger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Hi Vid,
Sorry Ameaa, I plan to remove them from both my cars my self. May19th is a Saturday so will sit in the morning and will remove for one car. Use that car for the weekend and see how they are enforcing the rule then decide on second car.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:29   #100
BANNED

I find Diesel, Isopropanol (surgical spirit) and Thinner quite handy. I will avoid the last since it can damage paint / plastic very easily.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:32   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Satyam,

I also got my film removed from my Laura and also from the rear windshield too. I found something which works to help remove the glue from the windshield. I was experimenting with different chemicals and finally tested with a 50:50 mixture of thinner and Turpentine oil. This helps remove the glue, but has a very pungent smell and one can get giddy just from the fumes. It still requires a lot of effort to remove the glue and I had another guy to help me and it took us almost 30 min to remove the glue. This mixture also does not damage the defogger.
The only drawback is the smell will take a few days to go away!

Regards,
Behemoth
How did you manage to remove the films from the rear without damaging the defogger?
Old 7th May 2012, 15:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May19th is a Saturday so will sit in the morning and will remove for one car. Use that car for the weekend and see how they are enforcing the rule then decide on second car.
so does this mean we can drive around in our tinted sin films () till then? cops won't catch and fine?
Old 7th May 2012, 15:37   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
so does this mean we can drive around in our tinted sin films () till then? cops won't catch and fine?
Yes I'm using my Figo with 20% VLT 3M films for the last couple of days. Haven't been pulled over.

I plan to use the film till the last day to make the most of the 6K worth of films on the car. As much paisa vasool for the films as possible.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 15:51   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
How did you manage to remove the films from the rear without damaging the defogger?
The film can be removed easily, if you do it gently and carefully. Don't let them touch any blades on the defogger part and also don't pull with too much force. It is the residual glue which is more of a problem! In my two cars (Yeti with 3M film, Laura with Garware NF film) The Garware film had very sticky glue and really was difficult to take out. The 3M Glue came off much more easily and was definitely better quality.

Anyway, now no more sunfilms allowed (any grade/ visibility) in Delhi / NCR.
Cops stop the car and ask you to roll down your windows to check the presence of sunfilm, so there is no escaping with light sunfilms now.
Also, in Gurgaon, there is no spot removal of the film - RC Papers are seized and one has to go to the court (ACP traffic office/ court at the cross section of Mayfield Gardens) to pay the fine of 1000 and collect the papers after getting sunfilm removed.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th May 2012 at 15:56.
Old 7th May 2012, 16:07   #105
BHPian

I'm not sure if I can trust the accessory guy doing this.
I was wondering if I could mange it myself. The only issue is people are using electrical equipment to heat the film up which is not an option for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks