Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 18:07   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth

Hi Satyam,

I also got my film removed from my Laura and also from the rear windshield too. I found something which works to help remove the glue from the windshield. I was experimenting with different chemicals and finally tested with a 50:50 mixture of thinner and Turpentine oil. This helps remove the glue, but has a very pungent smell and one can get giddy just from the fumes. It still requires a lot of effort to remove the glue and I had another guy to help me and it took us almost 30 min to remove the glue. This mixture also does not damage the defogger.
The only drawback is the smell will take a few days to go away!

Regards,
Behemoth

Will try this too
And tell u the results.

I have almost lost hope on it and the next thing in my mind is to use a blade to do the thing

Any idea how much would a defogger cost for a santro ?

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 7th May 2012 at 18:08.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:16   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to remove sun film from windows?

Note from Support - Please see the DIY section. There are a couple of threads which our members have posted for sun film removal from windows and windshields.
Old 7th May 2012, 20:57   #108
BHPian

Finally got rid of all the glue

Used vim liquid an scotch bright (used for cleaning utensils).

It took me more than 2 hours just to take off all the glue from the rear glass, but it was worth the effort to save my defogger
Old 10th June 2012, 12:09   #109
BHPian

After waiting for another deadline in Bangalore or a stay order on the sun film ban, I finally removed my sunfilms.
The process was simple. Just used a steam iron, steamed the SunFilm and started peeling. It came out in one piece, without any glue residue whatsoever!

Let the pictures do the talking:
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove sun film from windows?-image1224439509.jpg  

How to remove sun film from windows?-image549934282.jpg  

How to remove sun film from windows?-image3713660124.jpg  

How to remove sun film from windows?-image2846623206.jpg  

How to remove sun film from windows?-image726404396.jpg  

How to remove sun film from windows?-image228442086.jpg  

How to remove sun film from windows?-image1197208414.jpg  

How to remove sun film from windows?-image1509202583.jpg  

Old 10th June 2012, 12:28   #110
BHPian

Forgot to attach this picture :
Btw, that's my mom helping me with the iron.

How to remove sun film from windows?-image3495076340.jpg

I was surprised to see 2 layers of SunFilm.

How to remove sun film from windows?-image309514444.jpg

I also helped my neighbours remove sunfilms with the same method and almost all sunfilms came off in one piece without leaving any glue residue. But there was one 3M SunFilm that was installed as a freebie by the car dealer left a lot of glue. Suspiciously fake.
Pri2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 10:46   #111
BHPian

Removing the film as such has not been a problem for many! Even if it turns out a little difficult, there are ways to soften it up by baking under the sun, etc.

The real issue has been getting rid of the residual glue. There are lucky ones who escaped without any residual glue, though! This is for the not so lucky ones like me!

The best method (in my experience) to get crystal clear window panes without any risk to the glass or defogger lines is to rub using cotton cloth liberally dampened with surgical spirit (400ml costs 65 INR, avl in any medical store). The glue simply melts off and comes out on to the cloth. Some areas might require little more rubbing, though! Finally, spray a fine layer of colin and wipe using a clean cloth.

Results are amazing!

Using just colin and razor blade, it took about 3 hrs for me to remove 5 films (Santro). This colin/razor blade method is extremely difficult for the windshield with defogger. With the surgical spirit/colin method, I removed 7 films for Innova in less than 2 hrs time.
Old 1st July 2012, 02:09   #112
BHPian

Following up a 8th December 2007 post! Couple of weeks ago finally removed the sun film from two of my cars since Chennai police started enforcing the ban. Paid INR 500 for the first car and INR 400 for the second one, an INR 100 discount!
Old 7th July 2012, 13:10   #113
Senior - BHPian

After grounding the car for nearly two months I decided to go ahead with it. as it is I drive an outside state registered vehicle don't want further trouble.

Took one knife, generous amounts of Mr. Muscle, Colin, one whole newspaper and one hour of sweat...and its off

Name:  ForumRunner_20120707_130723.png
Views: 1538
Size:  928.7 KB

My car feels so naked now :( and I am not looking forward to the increased fuel bills!

The 7 year old garware films came off pretty easy and dint leave too much of adhesive behind. Whatever was left behind was easily removed with Mr. muscle spray. The "key" is to be very gentle in pulling out the films, else it leaves bits of adhesive left behind. There is no need really of wet newspapers or heating the film it comes off just like that!

Last edited by praful : 7th July 2012 at 13:12.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 13:17   #114
BHPian

Re: YOUR reaction to the Sun Film Verdict?

Need your inputs guys

Removed the sunfilm last sunday with lots of efforts. Large amounts of glue could not be wiped with Windshield cleaner. Had to use "Thinner" to remove the same. Cleaned it thourough with cleaner and now its totally film free.

My query is : Thinner I got from a hardware shop was in a plastic bottle, similar to 500 ml water bottle, and it costed me INR 40. Half of it is used now.

Can the thinner be stored in the same bottle for longer durations ?

Need your inputs
Old 25th July 2012, 13:47   #115
BHPian

Re: YOUR reaction to the Sun Film Verdict?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Need your inputs guys

Can the thinner be stored in the same bottle for longer durations ?

Need your inputs
Thinner can be stored in airtight bottles for long time. You can use if for household cleaning needs.
carbookie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:15   #116
BHPian

The deadline set by Hyderabad Traffic Police for removing tints is 24.10.2012. From 25.10.2012 special drive starts for penalising the violations.

Yesterday I got the tints removed from my Scorpio at Reliance Auto zone. Guys there did a good and neat job. Residual glue which was in small quantum, was thoroughly cleaned off by the guys using liberal sprays of colin and a small squeezee

I had 3M on sides & rear; and Garware ice cool on windsheild. Rs 500/- were the charges for removal and thorough cleaning. It took about one hour forty minutes for two guys to complete the process.

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 23rd October 2012 at 11:18. Reason: typos
Old 24th October 2012, 20:35   #117
Senior - BHPian

I too removed all my films over the weekend. However the glue is still there. Since i didnt get time that day and the Mumbai RTO being at every nook and corner, i just decided to remove the films for that moment. Will try using the surgical spirit and see if the glue comes off easily. I tried using Pril mixed with water but then i had to use something sharp like a blade to remove the glue so i backed off after removing just a little bit.
Old 24th October 2012, 21:09   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici
I too removed all my films over the weekend. However the glue is still there. Since i didnt get time that day and the Mumbai RTO being at every nook and corner, i just decided to remove the films for that moment. Will try using the surgical spirit and see if the glue comes off easily. I tried using Pril mixed with water but then i had to use something sharp like a blade to remove the glue so i backed off after removing just a little bit.
Pril or normal tide with scotch brite will do the work for you easily.There were doubts expressed about scotch brite leaving behind scratches but nothing of that sort happened on my glasses.perfect cleanup and hardly any time
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks