Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 16:40   #1
BHPian

How to remove sun film from windows?

As you may be aware, Delhi has banned all types of sun film from April 9. So I have decided to remove mine. Is it advisable to have it done by the guy who affixed it or can I do it myself? If a D-I-Y is possible, the best method? I have read articles on the net about 'steaming' the film for an hour before peeling it. Has anyone tried that? Thank you. Bomi.
Old 4th April 2007, 22:06   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Yep "ALL" types of sun films are banned in the NCR region. I got mine removed too, its best to get the film removed from the guy who fitted it or any car accessory shop because they can scrape/rub off the adhesive from the glass too.
Old 4th April 2007, 22:09   #3
BHPian

I believe its best to go to the guy from whom you got it tinted, my friend had tried, ended up spoiling the things

-POGU
Old 4th April 2007, 23:16   #4
BHPian

should we go ahead and get it removed or see how the cops are reacting to the orders. I guess the cops are gonna mint a lot of money these summers.... I want to see the car in which the Judge who passed this judgement goes to the court from his house.
Old 5th April 2007, 00:41   #5
BHPian

there has to be a way around it man! i mean its way to hot and sunny here to be without sunfilm! maybe v-kool would be an expensive option but the point being it wont stop the glare!! will try and find a loophole for sure the car feels funny without sunfilm once you are used to them, and it'll look funny too!
Old 5th April 2007, 10:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
there has to be a way around it man! i mean its way to hot and sunny here to be without sunfilm! maybe v-kool would be an expensive option but the point being it wont stop the glare!! will try and find a loophole for sure the car feels funny without sunfilm once you are used to them, and it'll look funny too!
Do share the loophole if you find any . I dont want to get rid of my sunfilm
Old 5th April 2007, 10:58   #7
BHPian

I got mine removed last week. This time its different guys. We have had these campaigns ordered by the DCP-Traffic in the past who die a very quick death (2-3 days, max 1 week). But this time its different, the High court has tightened the noose around the Traffic Police and I believe they will have to file a periodic report on the progress. That tells you it will last for some time to come. Heck man, we need it as well. There are a lot of bad drivers out there.

Coming back to the topic, its best to go to the guy whi put the film in the first place, as it is not easy to scrape the adhesive off the glass. Anyone can tear off the film, but its the adhesive which is a pain.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

If you can afford get tinted glasses. The orders are to ban sunfilms.
Cars like Mercs etc., and even some mid sizers comes with tinted glasses, so they are not going to break them.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

get it removed by the guy who fixed it. it is an ardous job for a d-i-y.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

d-i-y if you have loads of patience, gum can be removed by using soap solution to soak and using a blade very carefully to scrape off
Old 5th April 2007, 11:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Its anyday better to visit a car accessories store to get the film removed. Last thing one would want is to mess up the glasses.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:59   #12
BHPian

I guess everyone is going to get the film removed. So am I ... Gonna go to LajpatNagar Market today itself....
I hope someone submits a PIL against this and we get a stay till june or end of summers
Old 5th April 2007, 12:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sir, please read the HC order in detail. Even the tinted glasses are banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you can afford get tinted glasses. The orders are to ban sunfilms.
Cars like Mercs etc., and even some mid sizers comes with tinted glasses, so they are not going to break them.
Old 5th April 2007, 13:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

In a D-I-Y scenario, if not handled properly then would result in being 'pennywise pound foolish'.

After the HC's draconian order, actually I don't blame them coz with all these kidnappings, murder, rape etc happening it is a case of - ek machli saare talaab ko gandaa karti hai - a friend of mine tried removing the film all by himself thinking he would save the 150-200 Rs. that the guy would charge who fixed it in first place.

It resulted in his windows being unable to roll down as the residual gum stuck to the beading and he ended up paying a lot more to the guy to get the gum cleaned and the beading replaced.

Hence, my suggestion is to take it to the sun film shop and get it removed professionally.

However, I've installed a Lummar steel film that allows 70% visibility. I would like to chill out and wait before deciding on removal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
As you may be aware, Delhi has banned all types of sun film from April 9. So I have decided to remove mine. Is it advisable to have it done by the guy who affixed it or can I do it myself? If a D-I-Y is possible, the best method? I have read articles on the net about 'steaming' the film for an hour before peeling it. Has anyone tried that? Thank you. Bomi.
Old 5th April 2007, 13:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Sir, please read the HC order in detail. Even the tinted glasses are banned.
so what are they going to do to the cars with tinted glasses....Ban them?? or challan them whenever they see them .... The law should be clear and should take all the cases in consideration... Why are such laws so ambiguous???

Most Viewed