Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2007, 22:13   #106
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I think you should stop nitpicking rks, the tyre has done its duty efficiently for 50k kms, why would anyone want to point out tyre wear now (after 50k kms). i will show you my MRF Zigma CCs (the steel belts are jutting out), they served me well too, but i never enjoyed driving on them.
My purpose is not to nitpick, but to see what can be understood from the wear pattern. I have run my 155/70 S322 tyres for 18000 kms now at 35 psi pressure against the recommended 30 psi. So I am keen on understanding the effect of overinflation. I hope the wider 5J alloys that I am running (as compared to 4J stock wheels) will help in preventing premature centre wear, which I am not able to detect so far.

Last edited by rks : 5th July 2007 at 22:18.
Old 5th July 2007, 22:18   #107
BHPian

Dhanno looks gr8 Ishan...get her along for the next mumbai meet

Cheers!!!
Old 5th July 2007, 22:29   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
My purpose is not to nitpick, but to see what can be understood from the wear pattern. I have run my 155/70 S322 tyres for 18000 kms now at 35 psi pressure against the recommended 30 psi. So I am keen on understanding the effect of overinflation. I hope the wider 5J alloys that I am running (as compared to 4J stock wheels) will help in preventing premature centre wear, which I am not able to detect so far.
Sorry to say this rks, but you have repeated the above statement in like 100 plus times in almost all the tyre & wheel related threads/posts. fine, experiment & learn, there is no stopping anyone, it is your car & your money.

P.S. after 50k Kms, i would kiss those pieces of rubber & happily replace them.
Old 5th July 2007, 22:35   #109
Senior - BHPian

Will Ishan i think you should give her sythetic oil since this cars engine is the only one in India which redlines at 7100RPM and also you a mild mod on it (piggy backchip with a FFE)
Old 5th July 2007, 22:51   #110
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry to say this rks, but you have repeated the above statement in like 100 plus times in almost all the tyre & wheel related threads/posts. fine, experiment & learn, there is no stopping anyone, it is your car & your money.

P.S. after 50k Kms, i would kiss those pieces of rubber & happily replace them.
I haven't updated my experience for quite some time now, certainly not in the recent past. Will do so at 20K in the appropriate thread. I think my experiment is going well so far, but all the action may be ahead; that is why I am trying to understand what can be diagnosed from tread wear.

And no way I can afford to let the tread fully wear out. At about 3 mm tread depth I plan to replace my tyres. That is why I am keen on the tread wear being even. If I get 35K from my tyres that would be good enough, considering the amount of high-speed driving, the Expressway concrete and bad roads they take every week. Looks like the tyres will last 30-35K.
Old 5th July 2007, 22:57   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Will Ishan i think you should give her sythetic oil since this cars engine is the only one in India which redlines at 7100RPM and also you a mild mod on it (piggy backchip with a FFE)
he done that mod quite long time ago...
Old 6th July 2007, 02:04   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Looking at the worn-out Energy XM1 tyre in post #1, can we say that this is centre-wear, because we do see some tread left in the shoulders?
To add to what Vid has already explained RKS, another reason is that the first pic looks a little bad due to the dust on the tyre & the camera flash. The second pic is also of the same tyre but looks better due to less flash. And the wear was pretty much even on those tyres with no problems of centre wear. As for the inflation well they were run at around 28psi so the question of over-inflation does not arise since the recommended pressure is 30 psi which I found to be too bouncy.

Quote:
2. In post # 35, is that a sidewall bulge in the old Energy XM1 tyre? If so, I am glad that these tyres have been kicked out at least now. About time.
Yup another factor for the uneven wear on this tyre was the negative camber on the rear suspension since this was the RR tyre and also because when my suspension got shot, the worst of the lot was the RR side with a completely non-functioning shocker (see my earlier post of what the shocker looked like with a physical leak in it). The bulge also developed in the last 5k or so kms since the car went into a pothole at high-speed and there was no suspension to absorb the impact.

I too am mighty glad to have good, new tyres & a fully functional suspension!

Quote:
I agree. Once the tyre has been taken to the end of its life, I suppose it can wear out unevenly for any number of reasons. I think if there is a substantial amount of tread left in the shoulders while the centre wears out prematurely (well ahead of the tyre's expected life) then we can suspect overinflation.
If there is a huge disparity then yes it points to a inflation issue but if it's a few percentage points here or there, I think that's perfectly acceptable especially given our tough road conditions.

Quote:
Also if the tyres are very wide in relation to the rim width, I think we can expect premature centre wear at normal tyre pressures. If we reduce tyre pressures to compensate for this, we may find that the handling becomes poor and tyre life will again drop due to excessive sidewall deformation.
They are not going to work well in any case at any pressures in daily use & either way we will be compromising some part or the other regardless of what pressure we run in wide tyres on thin rims.
Old 6th July 2007, 02:11   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think your experiment should work RKS given that you're spreading the same size tyre over a much larger area hence effectively flattening the contact patch so you could be dong it not too much harm by running 35 psi. But again this is just an assessment from what we can theoratically imagine, once you're through please post your review alongwith pictures in your thread. It'll be an informative & learning experience for all of us.

Quote:
I would have chosen the bangkok trip for this money.

But, seriously, i think you can forget about maintanence for the next 3 years at least. Only thing left out was the electricals.
Yeah, but you gotta worry more about your daily ride than a holiday John especially when one has to travel like I do!! And no I can only forget about the maintenance for another 1.5 years or so, remember I do 40k a year

And Electricals (touch wood) are absolutely fine, no issues there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Dhanno looks gr8 Ishan...get her along for the next mumbai meet
Of course, why not Nuzzler sahaab!!! Thanks!

Quote:
Will Ishan i think you should give her sythetic oil since this cars engine is the only one in India which redlines at 7100RPM and also you a mild mod on it
I don't think switching to Synthetic after 145k makes any sense Busa, she's still doing pretty well for her age.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:42   #114
Senior - BHPian

Irags what are your future plans? What would you modify next?
Old 6th July 2007, 12:56   #115
Senior - BHPian

Well if possible my brain first!

No, as of now there is absolutely no money to do anything else, I really wanted the 15" Enkei's that were being offered at a great price but unfortunately after spending 1L, there was no scope at all.

She's gonna run as is (apart from regular maintenance, which becomes necessary in older cars) till I have the money to buy a new daily driver. Any other mods to be done would be done only after I have a reliable car to pootle around in daily.

Also now is the phase where she throws up a new tantrum or two at regular intervals. Currently the A/C blower is playing up & is only working on speeds 3 & 4!! While there is also some minor oil leak. So tomorrow she's back to the garage for these small things apart from the regular service since she's done about 7k in the past one month!
Old 6th July 2007, 17:18   #116
Senior - BHPian

Woa Irags, i guess she is becoming old, i thought you should give it better breathing whichwont affect the reliability, plus the intake noise is to die for.

On a serious note Tata's one Lakh Car comes close to your garage bill
Old 6th July 2007, 17:29   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i thought you should give it better breathing whichwont affect the reliability, plus the intake noise is to die for.
Yes but I don't like the noise a CAI trnasmits into the cabin & on long drives alone it'll become very tiresome.

Quote:
On a serious note Tata's one Lakh Car comes close to your garage bill
Yup!! But as I said earlier she won't be anywhere even near as much fun as driving Dhanno is!!
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:06   #118
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, it's time to change the footwear on Dhanno once again as the current PP's are now worn out!

Any suggestions about what tyres & size I should go in for this time?
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:08   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ok guys, it's time to change the footwear on Dhanno once again as the current PP's are now worn out!

tyre bhagwaan is asking us mere mortals on what tyres to get for his car?
Old 23rd March 2008, 20:11   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Apollo Aceleres 195/60-14.

The best upgrade at this point of your car's life. No point spending on something expensive at 1,70,000+kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks