Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:41   #1

Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.

Dear, BHPians.

Most of you know about this car. As you all have, I too have followed the entire chain of events this car has been through.

I love this car a lot and it perhaps is my favourite car in the whole wide world. And its not in a good shape . And thus I need all the help I can get from you people.

We all know that Rahul has had a string of issues with reliability with this car over its due course. But most of the issues were sorted out. Rahul loved his car thoroughly, and somewhere down the road due to all that happened with it he just seems to have lost interest in the car.

The car had not been started even once in 8 months, since the clutch gave way. During these times, I repeatedly kept asking him to get the baleno ready but he just would brush it off saying he would do it when he feels like. One day Dino (his dog) on a walk, suddenly stopped by the baleno and kept barking at it. He wouldn't move an inch from there. So on inspection it was found that rats had gotten into the car and had made a complete mess out of it.

His dad did keep some rat poison and prevented further damage, but I shall post the pics of the cars condition. I would like you all to tell me step by step what all has to be done to get this car back to its old splendour. I know he wont work on the car, its not like he doesn't love it anymore. He loves it as much as he did on day 1. But, he is just hurt I guess.

I wanted this to be a surprise, but I have no choice but to post it up here. I want to get this car ready before his birthday and see him happy. I want to re-unite the two of them. Kindly help me with all the necessary details and work that has to be carried on this car. Thanks in advance.

She still looks gorgeous, doesnt she?
Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.-img_0903ed.jpg

Pic of the engine.
Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.-img_0848ed.jpg

Rats have done this to the car.
Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.-img_0906ed.jpg

Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.-img_0907ed.jpg

Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.-img_0911ed.jpg

Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.-img_0912ed.jpg

Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.-img_0917ed.jpg

Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.-img_0918ed.jpg

This is the darling who saved the car from further damage.
Need to restore mclaren1885's baleno back to shape. Need all your valuable inputs.-img_0790ed.jpg

From what I know, battery has now been recharged. Brand new clutch is lying in the car. His friend will help me get it changed. No other problems with the engine I guess. His friend says it will need a oil change as the car hasnt been used in ages.

I need to get the seats stiched/replaced. Get the whole car cleaned up. Its stinking of rat poop everywhere. Where should I take the car for this job?

Car will be painted once the interiors are restored back.

Guys, kindly help me with this one. Thanks.
mclaren0111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:04   #2
BHPian

Oh noo!!!!!!!!!!! this seems bad. And of all people Mc Laren. I realy sorry to see her in this condition. Neways good that you have taken up the cause. Though there are quite a few aces out here for Balenos, and who will be pouring with suggestion, I would like to put my tiny winy bits. As its evident theres substantial rodent damage I would suggest immidiately to take care of the electricals. Trust me as an electronics engineer i always emphasize on the electricals.MASS would do be the right choice. Then take care of engines / transmission and others and last would be cosmetics like seats and all. But first the elctricals.Dont want to see this beauty in smokes because of some 3 inch vermins happily chewed on the wires.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:04   #3
BANNED

Wow! I wish my better half was so kind and understanding.
Kudos! Keep it up!

What are the mechanical problems in the car? Is it only the clutch or something more than that? Please list out whatever you know in this department.

Get a good interior cleaning/shampooing done. Change each and every rubber mat and if possible, the carpet too.
Regarding the seats, after the shampooing and properly dried, get a good seat cover. Don't bother getting new seats. Fix the holes with extra foam/fabric before the new seat cover goes in. Any good upholstery worker would be able to execute these jobs to perfection.
You may also consider painting/polishing the dash door pads too if needed. Will not cost much.
Get a good steering/steering cover.

After all the above, sprinkle some good amount of camphor in the car and leave it overnight/48 hours. It will absorb/get rid of any bad odour left behind. Clean up and voila you'll have a spanking new interior. :

Now, please! The mechanical side. Shall we know more about it?
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:11   #4
BHPian

Since you mentioned about rats in the car, check up the entire wiring in the car. The audio wires and cables along with the wiring in the engine. The seats can be easily fabricated by any car accessories shop. As zakky mentioned, change all the mats and rubber parts. I guess you have to get the Aircon ducts cleaned too if they are messed up by rat garbage.

Wish my gf was as understanding as you are about the craze I have for cars. Will have her to read this thread

Happy restoring!
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

what about the wheel bearings?

if the cabin stinks - keep couple of inches gap when you roll up the 4 windows - the floor mats (carpet thingy) if moist will stink as well. its better to pull out the carpet and dry it outside (if it is not raining there) or simply remove the rubber mats.

The brakes / brake lines should be checked thoroughly - better to change the brake oil as well.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

3 Cheers! McL is lucky to have you!

I'm totally zero on Engine-Vengine, but I think Zak has about covered everything. I'd also suggest that you get the seats looked at by an upholsterer and fixed, rather than redo them 100%.

Do make sure the wiring is checked thoroughly, since there will a bit of time. It will be important that the electricals are healthy, esp. for the ICE when it goes back in.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see a Baleno rotting like this. Perhaps a better option is to sell it to someone who will take good care of it? There are any number of Baleno fans who will give an arm and a leg to acquire one.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:01   #8
BANNED

@Spadival. Didn't you read the thread properly?
This is supposed to be a birthday gift! Please understand the emotions behind it buddy!
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

I remember Rahul telling me during the Tumkur meet that the Baleno would be restored back pretty soon. I thought he was at the forefront of getting it back in shape, but looks like i was wrong!

Action points related to rodent damage have already been put up by the others, so i wont try and repeat the same points.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

All this car needs is a good M.A.S.S and clutch plate? If so Mclaren needs a whipping to leave the car like this!
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Rahul is blessed indeed!

Get blueraven316 (satya) to help you with the interiors (upholstery, trims etc). He has a lot of good idea's and more importantly budgets to suit everyone.

Is a paintjob really necessary? IMO its not needed unless theres extensive damages or you have some new theme going. A good polish/detailing job will have her gleaming again.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:16   #12

Guys, thanks a ton for all the inputs. I shall write them down and see how and when to start off.

Speedzak, I think regarding the technical details, I shall ask Rahul himself to update us on this. Now, I dont know how he will react on seeing this, but I shall ask him to check the thread out asap and give his side.

Spadival, I really dont think you have a clue as to what all he has gone through with this car. If you did, you wouldnt have said that. And if he really didnt love that car, he wouldnt have still kept it and asked his parents not to even dream about selling it off. I just think he has been through a lot, and I think he needed time to recover from all that happened. Now, I along with a couple of other friends want to help him, encourage him to forget about the past. Just so that you should know, I have always known he loved his car more than me (and still does). So that must mean something right?

Guys, thank you all. It feels nice to know there are so many out there to help.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hope to see the Baleno back in running condition, with the rodents all evicted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
If so Mclaren needs a whipping to leave the car like this!
Me thinks he needs a whipping for having brought such a nice car to such a sorry state.

And I seriously doubt the 'love' part of it - would be glad to be proved wrong though. From what I read on the forum, he seems to have moved on to the Swift-D.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:58   #14
BHPian

What an incredibly touching gesture I say! All I can say, mcl0111, is that he is lucky to have you.
I don't know in what capacity I can be useful but if you figure how I can help I am more than happy to do so. Just let me know. He loves that car to bits and seeing it up and running again would be wonderful.
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Me feels there is a lot more to it than just a clutch & oil change. Please have the car inspected by a good mechanic & try to bring it back to stock which is how it can be made reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren0111 View Post
Now, I dont know how he will react on seeing this, but I shall ask him to check the thread out asap and give his side.
He he, thats the fun part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks