Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 10:57   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
In case of swift I am not sure if it is possible to have the cat con with the new headers.

I am sure in case of zerocritical the cat con has been removed as that is the normal practice.

For the Alto you have to remove the cat con as the OE headers and cat-con are almost a single piece.
Its the same case with Swift, the OE Header (Or manifold to be more specific) and the cat con is single piece as well.
Old 4th December 2008, 12:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Its the same case with Swift, the OE Header (Or manifold to be more specific) and the cat con is single piece as well.
What about Baleno? I never checked it so I've no idea, can someone through some light?
I remember reading somewhere about something called cat-back system. What is it? Say, if I want to retain the cat-con(obviously for less pollution) and still want to go for FFE, is it possible? Or it won't make any sense at all?
Old 4th December 2008, 12:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

The stock cat-con with an FFE will not make any difference. If you really want a cat-con then you will have get an aftermarket high flow types. I don't think they are easily available over here.

Edit: From whatever little I know of the Baleno I think in Euro 3 versions the cat-con was a part of the exhaust manifold. Where as in Euro 2 it was not. Maybe other baleno owners can clarify.

Last edited by vikram_d : 4th December 2008 at 12:57.
Old 4th December 2008, 13:59   #64
BHPian

zerocritical could you post your exhaust note , i am eager to see how your exhasut sounds now at sametime i feel many bhpians in this thread are also eager
Old 4th December 2008, 14:04   #65
BHPian

Was following this topic from a long time.
Thought of sharing my header story till now :

I had an OHC type1 with a header. The header was short or half size, not till the end. I do not know the technical name.
The sound and the performance was awesome. Yes, the sound attracted lot of female friends to drive the car so that they can rev the car..

Slowly Slowly days went ahead, rain came and the quantity speed breakers increased. The header cracked mostly by hitting the speed breakers and also by rust.

In the end.. sold the header and replaced back the original exhaust with an after market can.
Finally the car was sold.
Old 4th December 2008, 14:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
You feel the high rpm range has gone down because of the improvement in low-mid range. So when you rev you expect it to be linear all the way through but top end remains same as stock so you feel that top end has reduced when it is actually same as earlier.
What you are saying does make sense, but what i have seen in my car is that in lower gears, my top speed has reduced by 10-20 kmph. For e.g, the car used to touch 120 in 2nd gear before the headers, now it maxes out at 100 Kmph. Maybe the headers' design ? BTW, i have a 4x2x1 setup.
Old 4th December 2008, 15:27   #67
BANNED

Headers-- This is some topic that still amuzes me.

I have a header thats been specifically made for day to day driving(3x2x1) followed by a small muffler and ending with the end-can, and focused on performance more than speed.It sounds great though.

The guy bends all the pipes saying its calculations but the actual fact is how effectively can you squeeze in all those pipes(exhaust headers) through your cross member assembly. I feel there's no actual calculations involved here, its only harnessing energy out of each cylinders seperately.

In case of my M-800 which has so limited space, the headers are done within the limited space,followed by the end-can.

My mid-range is too good and even at lower rpm's the car runs very effectively, its got great initial pick up, which also saves me from frequent gear changes. It also returns a great FE of 17.2 KMPL (average). Should i complain

But the problems is at the top end, here i loose a lot, the car just refuses to go past 110 kmph i loose a lot here(though i dont do these speeds too often )

Headers are just too subjective, i still have'nt understood them better. Like there's no perfect header made by anyone!

@Mikon- My headers have cracked thrice, but every time i go to the header guy, get it brazed, and run it again. Its fun and have been having it for almost 2 yrs and 30k kms clocked on them.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 4th December 2008 at 15:31.
Old 4th December 2008, 15:41   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
I had an OHC type1 with a header. The header was short or half size, not till the end. I do not know the technical name.

Its called the "SIDE PIPE", atleast at shabir's garage.
Old 4th December 2008, 16:35   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithz View Post
zerocritical could you post your exhaust note , i am eager to see how your exhasut sounds now at sametime i feel many bhpians in this thread are also eager

Definately I will. But I guess you wont get the feel on an AV as its not too loud (thats the way i wanted).

Update on performance:
I see a considerable increase in the pickup. Now I never have to shift down to 1st gear at speed breakers. On flatter speed breakers now my car pick up from 3rd gear as well. I can feel the "Extra Power" when i rev at lower speeds specially on 1st and 2nd gears. Havent checked on the top end yet.

ON FE side, in the first week, on "heavy revving" my FE has dropped by 0.7-1kmpl. This week I have refueled and am being a GOOD BOY by not reving much. I guess my FE has improved if I drive in normal style(W/O revving) will confirm the same after the Team Meet this Sunday.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
Its called the "SIDE PIPE", atleast at shabir's garage.
yep.. right on!.. the term just missed mind
Old 5th December 2008, 09:13   #71
BHPian

@ pavan - sir 3 times is very much manageable. for me it broke at least 10 times. I guess the car was too low or the design of the pipe. It was scrapping every speed breaker. sigh!
Old 8th December 2008, 08:49   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithz View Post

Here's the exhaust note of my ride. Sorry for not putting up a clear video even after such a long wait.

Last edited by zerocritical : 8th December 2008 at 08:50.
Old 8th December 2008, 12:06   #73
BHPian

Sounds great , though voice quality is not upto the mark i can actually figure out how it sounds ,by the way thank you from me and on behalf of every bhpians who wanted to see how it sounds .Enjoy ya ride
Old 8th December 2008, 12:25   #74
BANNED

I have noted that when the engine is cool (in mornings), the exhaust sound is minimum. its only after i run some 8-10kms the actual sound starts coming. The above video was taken just after coming from the yellagiri drive.

Guru's can you pls throw some light on this.
Old 26th December 2008, 13:20   #75

Hi, Have been hearing about Raj Hingorani for FFEs. However, am unable to find the location/number. Can you please help. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks