Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 11:51   #61
BHPian

^^
Not really.
Its just the direct Heat/Sun getting directly into the cabin, which makes most people go for this.
It is supposed to improve the cooling, make life of the AC easier and inturn give you 0.02% improvement on FE also
Old 31st December 2009, 12:45   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranil View Post
Here is what Llumar says

Welcome to LLumar website

How can I protect my front windscreen from sun's heat with LLumar films?

Question (8/17/2001): Can you tell me about the protectiveness of the front windshield? I got UV window film put on the rest of my car recently but I'm concerned about the sun that shines on me through the front. I know it offers some degree of protection due to the film placed between the two layers of glass, but is it significant or very minor?
Answer: Less than 1% of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays penetrate the windshield in newer vehicles. This is due to UV absorption by the PVB (polyvinylbutyral) interlayer that is used to laminate two sheets of glass together, making up the windshield unit. Some vehicles five years or more years old may allow as much as 10% of the UVA to transmit through the windshield glass. (In some countries, windshields are merely tempered glass, with no PVB interlayer at all.) UVB is screened by the glass itself and UVC is screened by the ozone layer of the earth's atmosphere. If you are extremely sensitive to UV rays (due to a medical condition), UV absorption by the windshield may not be sufficient protection, thereby requiring the installation of CPFilms' AIR75SRHPR film (which also reject 39% of the solar heat), where permitted by law. Many film installation companies should have a UV meter in their shops, allowing them to accurately measure how much UV is coming through your windshield and other windows of your vehicle, and the effectiveness of a window film installation
+
This is good information !
It may help many, enquiring about the windshield film and those who can now possibly take a decision, if this is still required or not
Old 1st January 2010, 09:31   #63
Team-BHP Support

Rear Windscreen | impact of sunfilm on antenna

Many new cars have the antenna for the music system incorporated in the rear windscreen. Does anyone know if putting sun film has an adverse impact on the antenna? Are any special precautions required in this regard?
Old 1st January 2010, 14:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Didnt get the point.
Always thought that the ECU is a packed waterprrof unit.
Old 1st January 2010, 16:07   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

what I know is that Maruti ECMs are not waterproof - saw enough proof of that in the 2006 mega floods ; have had to clean three ECMs with IPA -all these started functioning as they were not powered on(battery disconnected) when the floods hit.

Santro ERlX I believe has a watertight ECM;so do the Fiat's Magneti Marelli ones.
Old 7th January 2010, 22:22   #66
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The same happened to my Swift (Petrol) about a year ago and I posted details of the problem I had on this site under Front Windshield Film. The job was done at the main VKool dealer at Vile Parle, Bombay. The guys there still remember my car as they learnt their lesson on it. Basically, the soap spray liquid used on the inside of the windscreen seeped into the BCM or Body Control Module (which is not watertight) - (Not the ECU) and I lost the A/C, tacho and speedo. The hazard lights also kept flashing. After waiting for about four hours for the car to "dry", I finally gave up and Maruti were good enough to replace the BCM under warranty. Normal price is Rs. 7200/=. Since then the installers put a large towel under the dashboard - and covering the BCM - so no problems any more. I know because I got a friend's Swift done about four months ago and in fact got my own done as well - replaced under warranty as the edges had started peeling. VKool are very good with their warranty. No questions asked as long as you have the warranty card - which is for 5 years. I have fitted their product on 5 cars of mine so far (three now sold). I feel the performance is superior to oher brands - my 2 cents!!!

Regards,

SS
Old 7th January 2010, 22:29   #67
BHPian

Is there Anyone did this frost windshield sunfilm safely for their car in Kochi ? I was planning it for my Swift, but after reading these posts i am not sure if i will go for it
Old 6th February 2011, 16:41   #68
BHPian

Re: CAUTION!!! Swift Owners installing Front Windshield Sun film

I have installed AIR75 windscreen film for my Punto and I have noticed that the film has developed some kind of wrinkles in it. It is very hard to notice but can make out that the clarity has changed. The dealer is ready to replace it. The films are not coming with any emblem and only way to believe the product is the warranty card which the dealer has given. Is there any way to identify whether the film is original? I have done the same film for my side windows and the installation was proper.
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:08   #69
BHPian

Re: CAUTION!!! Swift Owners installing Front Windshield Sunfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Llumar is the only company who seems to be having this problem. I got mine done from V-Kool and no problem till date.

I wonder why only Llumar has this problem?

Edit: When I went to Llumar for a front windscreen film they outright refused and stated the same problem. Went to V-Kool and they did it in 2 hours.
Well, don't be bemused for posting to a reply to an old thread. Couple of weeks back I went to 3M showroom for getting the sun control film for swift and they declined to put the sunfilm to the windshield citing the reason of ECU being directly under windshield and since there are chances of water seeping in. Initially I thought they were bluffing...until I bumped into this thread!
Old 24th April 2011, 22:11   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranxter View Post
Well, don't be bemused for posting to a reply to an old thread. Couple of weeks back I went to 3M showroom for getting the sun control film for swift and they declined to put the sunfilm to the windshield citing the reason of ECU being directly under windshield and since there are chances of water seeping in. Initially I thought they were bluffing...until I bumped into this thread!
I have installed 3M front windshield on my car and its been 2 years with no problems. Got it installed from Autoshop in Bangalore. I had cited this and had asked them to be careful. So the guy who installed the film, cut two long pieces first and then placed those on top of the A/C vent right on top of the dashboard [the ones which is supposed to direct the air to the windshield]. So that prevented the water / solution from getting inside I guess. Not really sure whether this helped me, but I am happy with the install.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:20   #71
Senior - BHPian

Is this problem specific to Swift? Because while Garware Icecool shield was installed for my Alto, some water did go in to front dashboard speakers which had to be removed and cleaned the next day. So I dare say some must have got in to the vents below the wind shield too. But I did not feel any ill effects after wards. The car runs normally.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:40   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's cars have loads of electronics hidden below the Dashboard, and majority of film installers do not care about water seeping below dashboard. Installation of Film on Windshield glass requires lots of water to be used. My Advice is Please take care.

This issue is not limited to Swift, i had the similar issue with TCS/ABS controller when i got film installed in my Elantra(Posted a few pages ago).
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 15:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

^^ OK, too bad I saw this thread only after installation. The act was already done! It has been 11 days since the install and the car is working perfectly normally.

Should I watch out for some symptoms? And since the install was done at the MASS under their invoice (though by an installer from Garware), should I tell them to open up something and check?
Old 26th April 2011, 20:20   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ OK, too bad I saw this thread only after installation. The act was already done! It has been 11 days since the install and the car is working perfectly normally.

Should I watch out for some symptoms? And since the install was done at the MASS under their invoice (though by an installer from Garware), should I tell them to open up something and check?
You are safe & sound since you got it done thru the MASS. Now they cant wash their hands off saying its not allowed and all ! Since its already 10 days, the water if had gone into it anyway would have dried up. So nothing to worry. Even if it conks off, MASS should be ready to replace it free of cost / under warranty. Keep the invoice safely please.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 21:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

I did not know where this ECU was located in the Alto so contacted bhpian im_srini. He threw a lot of light on this and also emailed the diagram from the workshop manual as well.

I could not peep under the glove box as suggested by him, but did manage to see the ECU by using a large sized mirror! It looks like an over sized hard disk, is spotlessly clean and dry! According to him there is very little electronics to start with in an Alto, so there is not much to go wrong! It seems the only other item apart from ECU is for the EPS, mounted on the steering column. The Swift seems to be a different ball game, with four or five different units housed under the dash.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks