Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think this is a good thing for our cars ?
Yes 47 68.12%
No 8 11.59%
Not sure 14 20.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 14:15   #1
BHPian

Great Idea - Simply the best car mats you can get

Dear All,

Are you the one having typical black floor mats in the car which starts looking dirty in few minutes (literally) ?

Then this post is for you.

I always keep my Swift neat and clean but the stock mats was a real mess. I used to get it washed weekly by the watchman but the moment I step in it starts looking brownish due to dust. Worse, a trip with my family and you can see small stone particles carried by the 5 people plus the extra dust.

I was trying for a solution on this for a while and one fine day the idea stuck me while entering my office !

You must have seen such large floor mats made up of some rubbery stuff (Please see a pic below) in front of posh offices or may be malls or multiplexes etc. I started wondering can I use this one ?

So I took some measurments and buyed a roll and cut it nicely. (It is bit costly - 80 rupees per square feet here in Pune)
And whoila !!!!!!

I now have a red carpet car. Everybody in my building liked the idea so much that many bought the carpet just next weekend !!

Advantages I have noticed after around 4 months

1. These mats dont look dirty at all as the dust and small sand particles vanish in the holes.

2. After nearly 4 months, I even dont need to wash them and it still looks fresh ! yesssssssssssss

3. You get a red carpet feeling in your car !!

4. It holds the floor so nicely (being rubber) and almost immovable

5. It doesn't stink at all

6. Your feet gets a nice feeling of fluffiness

Disadvantages

None
Attached Thumbnails
Great Idea - Simply the best car mats you can get-image021.jpg  

Great Idea - Simply the best car mats you can get-image022.jpg  

Last edited by bblost : 7th February 2010 at 15:35. Reason: Extra smiley removed. Thanks.
abhaybakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2010, 14:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a great idea. I'm sure it's available in other colours too.

Only exception might be, because this is a thick material, it may be problematic to use it in the driver's footwell. The mat can move under the pedals and prevent them from being fully depressed when required.
Old 7th February 2010, 14:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Looks like a great idea. I'm sure it's available in other colours too.

Only exception might be, because this is a thick material, it may be problematic to use it in the driver's footwell. The mat can move under the pedals and prevent them from being fully depressed when required.
Hi SS-Traveller - This is not that thick to cause any discomfort. Please believe me I have been using it since last 4 months. And about pedals, it is not even touching the mats. Sometimes clutch touches it but since it is so fluffy it buries in it nicely. Also after some days you get a nice adjustment at that place. Trust me you will not even notice it.

I will give you 1 lakh rupees if you find it moving under your feet !!!
It is holds more snuggily than any mats.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th February 2010 at 17:11. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 7th February 2010, 14:42   #4
BHPian

Wow ! Abhay ,

This is a great DIY. where you buy this mat in pune. Can you please mentioned the address of that shop. or Plz PM me his address.

what is the total cost?
Have you included the Boot?
Please give the details...total mat required and total cost.
Old 7th February 2010, 14:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
This is not that thick to cause any discomfort... Sometimes clutch touches it but since it is so fluffy it buries in it nicely. Also after some days you get a nice adjustment at that place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I will give you 1 lakh rupees if you find it moving under your feet !!!
It is holds more snuggily than any mats.
Uh-oh. No offence meant, Abhay! Though the 1L INR open challenge may well be taken up by a lot of members on this forum...

Good to know the material works so well - congrats on the DIY. I wonder where in Delhi one can procure the material.
Old 7th February 2010, 14:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Wow ! Abhay ,

This is a great DIY. where you buy this mat in pune. Can you please mentioned the address of that shop. or Plz PM me his address.

what is the total cost?
Have you included the Boot?
Please give the details...total mat required and total cost.
Kalinga - You can get these mats in any carpet shop. I got it from Pimpri. If you do not get one in Pune, let me know. I will tell you the adress of the shop. I have not included boot. Total cost was 1280 rupees. Exact measurments I am unable to recall now..... But 4 pieces of 2*2 feet is sufficient for Swift. Best way, you can get one of your old mat to the dealer and ask him to cut 4 pieces of the same size. So to summarise, you will need 16 square feet of the carpet. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 7th February 2010, 15:25   #7
BHPian

Thanx Abhay,

But one thing i need to clarify. Is it waterproof?
if water or any lequid fall on that, then it may touch the cloth carpet of the car. and in future it may cause rust. i am not sure but thing to concern.
Old 7th February 2010, 15:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

@abhay does it get slippery when wet?
Old 7th February 2010, 15:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

These are the exact mats that I have in my car(the colour is grey though). They were offered by 3M. They do their job very well in collecting and absorbing the dust particles. Velcro tapes attached at various points helps in holding the mats in place. A worthwhile investment for sure !
Old 7th February 2010, 16:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you have been smitten by the jk syndrome (jkdas) . He is the one who 1st chose on red carpets for his Dicor. BTW I have been using this in my scorp' for the last row for the last few months.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 7th February 2010 at 16:05.
Old 7th February 2010, 16:57   #11
BHPian

Here in Chennai, I got it free from the dealer when I purchased the car. Yes, as Abhay said this is better than the other floor mats available. Someone asked whether it is waterproof - Yes, it is water proof, it doesn't let water or anyother liquid to get into contact with your car floor.
Old 7th February 2010, 17:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this is a good idea. Thanks for the tip.
I (thought) did it even simple. I started using bathroom mats since I don't know where to find this roll here in Chennai. Bought five of them for 50 bucks.
Old 7th February 2010, 17:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
These are the exact mats that I have in my car(the colour is grey though). They were offered by 3M. They do their job very well in collecting and absorbing the dust particles. Velcro tapes attached at various points helps in holding the mats in place. A worthwhile investment for sure !
rr_zen,

which car you own? what is the cost of 3M mats?
Old 7th February 2010, 17:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Thanx Abhay,

But one thing i need to clarify. Is it waterproof?
if water or any lequid fall on that, then it may touch the cloth carpet of the car. and in future it may cause rust. i am not sure but thing to concern.
Kalinga, yes it is completely waterproof because there is plain rubber base below the spongy rubbery hairs. Cheers !
Old 7th February 2010, 17:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just the Other Day Got a Recommendation for My Car to buy "sponge" mat by a shop owner .Don't know if He Meant this thing. Thanks for the Idea.My Vista came with pathetic quality floor mats(all free obviously).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks